Worst Voices in Reggae?
November 11, 2013 10:08PM
We have a Best Voices in Reggae thread in flight, so I thought I'd start some shi I mean a thread for your worst voices in reggae... I'll start it off

Sizzla
Capelton
Re: Worst Voices in Reggae?
November 11, 2013 10:14PM
Sizzla in falsetto has never gotten better over the years, and I think it's ruined his deejaying voice too (that or all the weed & Henny).

Ghost always was like nails on the chalkboard.

Mavado has nuff big tunes, but always off-key.

Really, most singers & deejays need to choose a side, because there hasn't been a truly wicked singjay since Pinchers.
November 11, 2013 10:16PM
Agree with you 100% walter. They chant quite nicely, but neither can carry a note to save their lives. Also want to add Jah 9, for some reason her voice just flat out irritates me.
November 11, 2013 10:24PM
well actually the other thread said "favorite" voices, which is why I mentioned prince fari -- certainly not one of the "best" voices, but surely something special!

ebh, I can't get jah 9's "avocado" out of my head today! different strokes for different folks.

m.

* [www.shocksofshebamusic.com]
* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
November 11, 2013 10:36PM
mosquito killer
well actually the other thread said "favorite" voices, which is why I mentioned prince fari -- certainly not one of the "best" voices, but surely something special!

ebh, I can't get jah 9's "avocado" out of my head today! different strokes for different folks.

m.
Same way I feel about Eek, not a good voice traditionally, but i have always liked the way he uses it.

Avocado is a nice tune, reverence on the other hand just ruins rootsman riddm imo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 10:38PM by east bay herbalist.
November 11, 2013 11:31PM
ghost and jack radics voices are not for my ears' taste.
November 11, 2013 11:42PM
IMO Gramps Morgan makes me want to vomit thumbs down
November 11, 2013 11:56PM
Walter
We have a Best Voices in Reggae thread in flight, so I thought I'd start some shi I mean a thread for your worst voices in reggae... I'll start it off

Sizzla
Capelton

The lead singer for Groundation.......See what I did there Walter spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 11, 2013 11:57PM
Al Pancho gets my vote, followed closely be Fenton
November 12, 2013 12:36AM
Matisyahu doesn't sound bad deejaying, and he does a nice beatbox, but when he attempts singing...yikes! His voice is like a combination lock...it can't hold a key.
November 12, 2013 12:40AM
spliffp
Al Pancho gets my vote, followed closely be Fenton
Seriously!!!love to see Reggae Angels as the backing band, can't stand to sit through a fenton set.....
November 12, 2013 12:53AM
I see you, spliffp - well played
November 12, 2013 12:56AM
not a fan of jah9's voice. Ditto Ghost (although he has some wicked tunes despite his tone-deafness)

I HATE busy signal's singing voice. Wicked deejay but his singing is cringe-worthy, even when autotuned.

And I know it's probably not a popular opinion here, but I generally can't stand Cedric Myton's voice. I like a couple of congos tunes and that's it. MIght be the single most over-rated voice in reggae

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 01:01AM by Dr Suess.
November 12, 2013 02:32AM
Midnite lead singer
November 12, 2013 02:37AM
Yes, Groundation's lead singer immediately comes to mind...

...and I agree Dr. seuss, Myton's voice has always kinda bugged me, even though I like the Congos
November 12, 2013 04:38AM
dr. seuss
And I know it's probably not a popular opinion here, but I generally can't stand Cedric Myton's voice. I like a couple of congos tunes and that's it. MIght be the single most over-rated voice in reggae

actually good doctor, no one really rates cedric's voice that I've ever read or sussed, but many rate his/congos works. the praise has never really been directed at him and his voice, so much as the sum of the group/musicians/producers. but when someone is the lead singer of a group that gets major props, folks extrapolate...smiling smiley

m.

* [www.shocksofshebamusic.com]
* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
November 12, 2013 04:48AM
Jr. Demus.
November 12, 2013 11:44AM
Israel Vibrations...they have a great story...but their singing leaves a bit to be desired. Is it OK to admit they are overrated?
November 12, 2013 07:43PM
Jah Mike
Jr. Demus.

Oh, yes! Mikey Jarrett too.
November 12, 2013 10:37PM
Batch.
November 13, 2013 01:19AM
Wont call them the worst but some of my least favorites are:
Jah9
Ghost
Major Mackeral
November 13, 2013 11:13AM
Yami Bolo....ugh
November 13, 2013 06:18PM
vocal sonics is part of the beauty of the music equation but, IMO it is the spirit of the inspiration within the singer/songwriter that is the main ting ... for example, Bob M's vocals & tone is strong but his voice is not exceptional >>> yet it is the power of spirit and supernal songwriting coming thru Bob that touched the nerve of the massive ... Then one like Yabby You, who most definitely is not a pretty voice singer - yet Yabby had that spiritual spark that left a mark

Music is a highly refined food & just like a starving person will vanq - so too a nation without culture will perish ... music is too often commodified like fake-fast-foods & as the massive is drawn into that stank odor of dead fried plasticized grease like flies to sh*t when they walk by the fast food court at the mall - so too they been programmed to crave the mc'musics of britney spear, gaga etc.

Now day there is this generation enchanted by the macho angry belly growl so-called reggae ... The belly vocal started as a righteous thing by the greats like URoy, Prince Far I etc but it too has now been co-opted by the dark side

them with eyes will see and ears will hear

"Music is a part of us and either ennobles or degrades our behavior" (Boethus)
November 13, 2013 07:41PM
If I never again hear Barrington Levy sing "stiddilly bop diddilly bop diddily whoaaaaa... swing" that would be a huge blessing for me.
November 13, 2013 08:55PM
treez
If I never again hear Barrington Levy sing "stiddilly bop diddilly bop diddily whoaaaaa... swing" that would be a huge blessing for me.

The problem I have with Barrington is not that I don't like his voice, because he has a nice clear strong one (despite his chain-smoking), but as one dread told me, "him ongle have the one choon"...iow he uses basically the same vocal tricks in every song he sings. Used to be the case with Michael Rose too, til I got tired of listening to him. I guess these vocalists want to trademark their voice and sound, but they end up putting themselves in a box and not extending themselves vocally, although they're perfectly capable of doing so.
November 13, 2013 09:11PM
Stamina!
treez

The problem I have with Barrington is not that I don't like his voice, because he has a nice clear strong one (despite his chain-smoking), but as one dread told me, "him ongle have the one choon"...iow he uses basically the same vocal tricks in every song he sings. Used to be the case with Michael Rose too, til I got tired of listening to him. I guess these vocalists want to trademark their voice and sound, but they end up putting themselves in a box and not extending themselves vocally, although they're perfectly capable of doing so.
Totally agree about Barrignton and Michael ( or however he choses to spell it these days). They have nice voices, I'm just sick of hearing the same song and style throughout thier catalog of work, or live shows.
November 13, 2013 10:09PM
I-Octane and his voice are terrible....I don't know how people still pay money for his music
November 13, 2013 10:39PM
Redwood Rebel
I-Octane and his voice are terrible....I don't know how people still pay money for his music

Octane had some nice stuff around 07-09 when he was working around Arrows and doing more of a deejay thing... I agree his singing leaves a lot to be desired though
November 14, 2013 05:07PM
He had a couple jams a few years ago I enjoyed at first, but now when I pull them up it makes me cringe
November 16, 2013 02:12AM
I just saw Capleton in Portland and was dissapointed, would have to put him at the top of my list. That night was really enjoyable though as I caught Rising Buffalo Tribe for the first time and really enjoyed them!
November 16, 2013 03:19AM
ritchie spice makes me cringe every time.
November 16, 2013 05:18PM
akee123
Israel Vibrations...they have a great story...but their singing leaves a bit to be desired. Is it OK to admit they are overrated?

Glad someone said this, I've always found myself really, really trying to like their music but I just can't get passed the vocals. Strangely, Apple's "Teach Them Right" is one of my favorite albums - the music is so good, and his voice sounds different to me for some reason.
November 16, 2013 06:00PM
They carry the Israel Vibration with their voices , stoic and epic! Apple,Skully and Wiss keep and carry the torch of RasTafari Livity!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login