Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New reggae Lee Perry coming.....

Posted by akee123 
New reggae Lee Perry coming.....
November 16, 2013 04:23PM
Re: New reggae Lee Perry coming.....
November 18, 2013 11:18AM
would be so sweet if he tours the us next summer in support of this album….especially if he comes to boomville!
November 18, 2013 12:34PM
Hey Ragaduffin, have you ever seen Lee Scratch live?
AJ
November 18, 2013 01:06PM
westafari
Hey Ragaduffin, have you ever seen Lee Scratch live?
I've seen Mr. Scratch 3 times. Enjoyed all 3 sets. First time was in about 1999 (?) and the last time was Dec. 2011 in Tucson.
To me it's also nice seeing a bit a reggae history.............. even if the artist has changed his style.
Bring Lee Perry to Boomville.
November 18, 2013 01:45PM
a few times going back to high school 30 years ago but most recently saw him last year at the regency in sf. why do you ask?

my dream would be to have him in the dancehall and he brings a bunch of rare vinyl i'm sure he has stashed away somewhere.
November 18, 2013 04:13PM
The only reason I ask is because I saw him live and I had extremely high expectations, which was my fault. I just hate it when I do that. The show was decent. I was just asking cause I think his recorded music is better than his live music. Just my opinion.

Just a question.
November 18, 2013 04:38PM
sorry but i disagree....
please DO NOT bring him, his crazy ramblings, or the weak 45 minute show he brings, to boomville....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
November 18, 2013 07:18PM
First time I went to see Lee "scratch" Perry live, I was also working part time as a job coach for developmentally disbled adults... And I was fascintated by the similarities. (Which is ABSOLUTELY NOT A DIS!) "SPECIAL" folks are called that for a reason. But after listening to him chant about his cock for 1/2 hour and personally witnessing him destroy some groupie who managed to make it on stage...

I'm a tad leery of his "live" Performances... Never know when he will pull off a "not so good look"... Don't get it twisted though, I am still a fan.

Bless up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 07:21PM by Christopher.
November 19, 2013 05:54AM
"personally witnessing him destroy some groupie"

what exactly does this mean ?
November 19, 2013 10:28AM
I agree Higrade1. I was trying to be nice, but he sucked live. I almost asked for my money back.
November 19, 2013 11:44AM
westafari
I agree Higrade1. I was trying to be nice, but he sucked live. I almost asked for my money back.

I have to agree with Westafari. I saw him in Angels Camp in 01. I think I stuck around for about 10-15 minutes before I decided it wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong Im still a fan and I enjoy listening to his older works, just not a fan of his live stuff... to each their own I guess
November 19, 2013 03:45PM
bigvein
"personally witnessing him destroy some groupie"

what exactly does this mean ?

Exactly what it says, some poor groupie who was clearly expecting a different reaction upon reaching the stage got her (proverbial) heart ripped out of her chest as Lee Scratch treated her like a red headed stepchild. He publicly clowned her, called her disrespectful names (over the microphone) and he might have spit at or on her... But im partially blocking that out, it was truly an ugly moment.

In other words... Deystroyed.
November 20, 2013 07:48AM
Scratch has always been reggae's most well-known madman. Crazy like a loon or crazy like a fox is your call. I have and will always have the greatest respect for his Black Ark works and, before that, his works on his own Upsetter label and his Studio One works. For me, that's the sweet spot of Scratch's career.

For me, the Lee Perry train left the station along time ago - about the time he started calling himself Pipecock Jackson (remember that?) and producing bands like The Majestics and The Little Terrorists.

He's a legend and all, but the current incarnation of Lee Perry has been on cruise control for awhile, riding the still-formidible wave of his reputation all the way to the beach.
November 20, 2013 08:43AM
From being (at least! In his prime, WAY more visionary IMO) the Phil Spector of Kingston, to the little man mumbling on stage and wearing mirrors on his shoes.

And at one time he had a band who could rope the sound of The Meters, hit the 60s charts in England, do the most with the primitive equipment at his disposal, plus revitalize the Wailers and bring out their real strengths.

God Bless Scratch---but I'm not likely to check what he performs on stage again. If you've never watched him live, you may wish to. Then you can say you saw Lee Perry, in the flesh.
November 20, 2013 01:36PM
wow lots of hate for the scratch up in here. i understand it, he certainly is an oddball. i guess i was just thinking from reading the rolling stone article that akee posted he might be putting out some interesting material getting back to the roots and it might be fun to see him at the festy again one last time. the old man wont be around much longer but we will always have his fantastic records to listen to and hopefully a good memory of him.
November 20, 2013 02:15PM
ragaduffin
wow lots of hate for the scratch up in here.

i get so tired of hearing honest negative criticism/critique and opinion called "hate". i actually think there is a lot of respect on this board for the man and his massive catalogue of works. that doesn't mean he is necessarly very entertaining or someone many would like to pay to see perform any longer.

i am constantly amazed at what he was able to do with archaic and minimalistic equipment at the time, but these days i would rather spend a quiet evening at home reading than watching him onstage. i'm not hating on him or disrespecting him when i say this.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
November 22, 2013 02:04PM
Yeah, too often here a clear-eyed observation is called 'hate'.

But as the man said himself back in the day, 'People Funny Boy.'

NOW---what if there was a fantastic show where Lee Perry went to the trouble & expense to preside over an evening where he & a few of the remaining ska/early reggae cohorts were backed by the fine Aggrolites(always felt they could nail the 60s Upsetters sound!), AND THEN in the second set reproduce the Black Ark sound, and bring out Max Romeo, perhaps the Congos, or Jr. Murvin, and in each of these sets Scratch could nice up the mike himself.

Does THAT sound like I'm "hatin"?? Nah, just dreaming I would say---sure would/coul make for an epochal night at a certain festival main-stage. But I ain't holding my breath for such a production by the Upsetter.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2013 06:16AM by papa ray.
November 22, 2013 06:48PM
Didn't think so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2013 08:57AM by Christopher.
November 26, 2013 02:48PM
I actually enjoy his recordings from the past few years, most notably the Mighty Upsetter/Dubsetter release (which was great). Rise Again wasn't quite up to par, but not bad for that type of rambling, trippy lush dub. I also had fun the last few times I've seen him live, however there is no doubt in my mind that a set like the one Papa Ray is proposing would be much more memorable! I share that dream...

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
November 26, 2013 02:56PM
He was great at Maritime Hall in 1996 (97?). I was ecstatic at those shows. Since then, however, he's been disappointing live. I still go see him when I can, but Scratch is a whack job, albeit one that travels with a heavy sound.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login