Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hey Venues & Promoters..STOP Selling SIZZLA Tickets.

Posted by strikkly 
Hey Venues & Promoters..STOP Selling SIZZLA Tickets.
November 20, 2013 06:38AM
The Shows are cancelled and the Tour is CANCELLED.
Why are the NKC people continuing to sell or try to sell Sizzla tickets for Dec. 19.
Just got an email from NKC this morning ADVERTISING the CANCELLED SHOW AND
TRYING TO SELL TICKETS TO A CANCELLED SHOW.

"Them a devil and them gone to hell, casting upon earth their evil spell." -Milton Henry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2013 07:18AM by Daniel.
Re: HEY VENUES & PROMOTERS..STOP SELLING SIZZLA TICKETS.
November 20, 2013 06:48AM
Ah boy.
Re: HEY VENUES & PROMOTERS..STOP SELLING SIZZLA TICKETS.
November 20, 2013 07:04AM
not as easy as it sounds... speaking from personal experience. This is one reason why when artist cancel shows they have already signed on the dotted line for they really end up costing promoters a HUGE amount of money and credibility. This is the very reason why it is hard to find reggae shows that are really worth a darn happening in you local town. NKC has been one of the BEST when it comes to bringing fresh artist to the left coast. All blame should be shifted to the guy who couldn't give a humane interview with the agents in charge of passing out VISA's. You might like his tunes but after a promoter has lost say... a G trying to promote and bring an artist to a town near you what is the incentive to go down this road again? Promoters and venues don't just announce dates before they are signed. They pay a deposit to the artist and the venue. The Venue more times than not keeps their deposit. Who pays for all the lost quan on promotional material? Who pays when people who don't know a show has been cancelled and show up looking forward to seeing an artist and want their money back? Who pays when credibility is lost? Well let me tell you. The Promoter and the Genre pay and people treat the artist just the same as they ever did.
Re: Hey Venues & Promoters..STOP Selling SIZZLA Tickets.
November 20, 2013 07:41AM
So you basically said that when the Promoters take an unexpected loss.....
the promoters can then lie, rob, cheat and steal all in the name of recouping the money he is out.
That sounds post-moral, and well it sounds exactly like the cretins I'm seein.
Thanks for lending your skewed logic to the post-moral landscape.
November 20, 2013 07:59AM
To be fair right when the show got cancelled I got a refund from NKC without having to do anything, so I'm sure they aren't trying to screw anyone. Don't know why they are still selling tickets, or if they are, but I'm sure if anyone buys one they will get their money back.
November 20, 2013 08:13AM
No basically what I am saying is this. No one at NKC is taking a dime from anyone. I tried to take down a ticketfly link about a week in advance of a show we ran in which the headliner cancelled. It was next to impossible. It is very easy to get a link up, not so easy to take it down.

Now what I am saying is something that should be heeded. Without promoters you will NEVER see a reggae show on the left coast or any coast for that matter. Promoters put up there dollars in many cases well over a grand to put on a show that people want to see. A fan might pay 20 bucks and have to wait for it to be returned. It will be returned. Promoters meanwhile get the shaft.

If you are upset be upset at the artist who went ahead and made all kinds of assurances about their ability to get into the country only to have them fall apart because they want to show how masculine they are.

Do you really think NKC is somehow trying to cheat you so they don't take a loss? That is crazy.
November 20, 2013 08:15AM
their dollars...
November 20, 2013 09:10AM
Ninja
"The Venue more times than not keeps their deposit."

um, did You mean to say the ARTIST usually 'keeps the deposit'?

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
November 20, 2013 09:24AM
oh hell no. If the artist tried to keep their deposit I am on a plane. The venue usually does as they have nothing to do with whether or not the show is not going on. That is the whole point of a deposit with the venue.
November 20, 2013 10:31AM
Seems like a tough gig to me to be a promoter. I send our local guy here in Bend messages monthly asking for reggae shows. His company is Random Presents and he did get back to me saying that it is to hard for him to bring reggae shows to Bend, OR, not enough fans come out. I wish that I could help change that but not sure what to do. I do know that the next time a reggae act does get booked in Bend I will do my best to bring as many people with me.
November 20, 2013 11:29AM
rossta8888
I wish that I could help change that but not sure what to do. I do know that the next time a reggae act does get booked in Bend I will do my best to bring as many people with me.

Put flyers up for the promoter, make calls, tell people, bring people, drive the bands around, etc.and DON'T ask to be put on the VIP list for your work.

Jeff
November 20, 2013 11:36AM
I have offered all that Jeff to our local promoter Brett, he said he appreciates my optimism but that just isn't enough to get people to come out to reggae shows in Bend, OR. I have offered that many of times. Also, if you knew me you would know that I am all about supporting the artist and would never ask to be on the VIP list.

I really like the idea of driving around the artists! That would be fun!

Appreciate the idea's, I wish it was that simple. We just had Indubious come to town and I could not make the show as I had plans to go to PDX already. I contacted Indubious directly and offered to put up flyers or do whatever I could to help, I also left a VM with the venue offering my help. Sadly nobody contacted me back saying they could use some help. I didn't attend the show so maybe it was a success, it was not put on by Random Presents so I do not know who the promoter was.
November 20, 2013 01:00PM
I would put anyone on the list who did all of that. It is a 20 dollar ticket.. usually. What you have described above is hours and hours of work.

People who don't do @#$%& but listen to reggae are the one's who should not be on the guest list. I put on a show and had 38 people on the guest list. They don't get in for free, I pay for them. This has happened at both shows I have done. MIND YOU these shows are for CHARITY.
November 20, 2013 01:49PM
I usually helped with the work (for Wendy Russell) and still paid for my wife and I's tickets just to support the show. They barely make money as it is.

Jeff
November 20, 2013 02:18PM
trust me... people promoting reggae are not making money. Maybe ROTR or SNWMF or some other one of festival. No one else is doing anything but taking big risks to see the music thrive.
November 20, 2013 02:40PM
Yeah, that's what I meant- I paid for my tickets even after helping, knowing the promoter is barely making anything anyway.

Rossta, it's a tough genre of music to promote. I was just throwing out suggestions.

Jeff
November 20, 2013 03:01PM
Jeff if there were more like you then perhaps Reggae who take hold in the region.
November 20, 2013 03:02PM
I hear you Jeff and I appreciate the suggestions, I just want to see good reggae music in Bend and am willing to help. I understand why you still want to pay for your ticket, I would be the same way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login