Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HIM & JFK

Posted by Haile Bless 
HIM & JFK
November 22, 2013 06:32PM
JFK addresses HIM Haile Selassie, on one of his visits to the US on Oct. 2nd 1963

Your Majesty:

On behalf of all of my fellow citizens, I want to express our great appreciation to you for having traveled across so many thousands of miles to visit us once again and also for the pleasure that you have brought us all in bringing with you your granddaughter, and the benefit you have brought us in bringing the members of your Government.

As you say, Ethiopia and the United States are separated not only by geography but by history and culture, but I think that they are bound together by necessity, and that is the necessity for all sovereign free countries to maintain the most intimate association.

So we are very proud to have you here because of what your country has done, what it is doing, because of the hospitality you have shown to my fellow countrymen when they have gone there to work or to visit.

Most of all, we are glad to have you here because of your own extraordinary record. Those of us who have held office for a comparatively brief time are somewhat awed to realize that you have borne the responsibility of leadership in your country for more than
45 years. For a good part of this century, with all the changes that it has brought to not only your own country but to the continent of Africa, and so much of the West during this whole period, the central thrust of burden has been borne by you. And to have borne it with such distinction in other days and to still bear it with such force-demonstrated by the fact that your capital was chosen by your fellow leaders of Africa to be the center of this great, cooperative movement which was symbolized by the summit meeting in your capital and which was made a success by your own very patient efforts--brings accord out of what could have been on occasion perhaps a disagreement.

So, looking to a long past, looking to a promising future, we want to say, Your Majesty, that we are proud to have you here, we have been honored by the visit, and I hope that this short time here in Washington will remind you once again of how strongly your place is secured in the affection of all of the people of the United States. I hope all of you will join with me in a toast to His Imperial Majesty.
Re: HIM & JFK
November 22, 2013 06:40PM
Some very nice footage, well worth watching ~ video: [www.jfklibrary.org]
November 22, 2013 06:41PM
JFK and Selassie greatly admired one another.

Selassie attended JFK's funeral. Here he is in front among a panoply of world leaders, next to France's De Gaulle:
November 22, 2013 07:04PM
An audio excerpt of this address is featured on Anthony B's new album, Tribute To The Legends!! BOOM!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
November 22, 2013 07:21PM
The Emperor stayed in the White House during his short visit to Washington, before going on to New York. The dates are highly significant. It is likely that Emperor Selassie encouraged the young President to heed the message of his forthcoming speech at the United Nations, about universal human rights, and the danger of perpetual war. Kennedy knew well that in America, the richest country in the world, there were “first and second class citizens,” and a “philosophy that holds one race superior and another inferior.”

On October 2, 1963, John F. Kennedy met with Secretary of Defence Robert McNamara and General Maxwell Taylor, who had just returned from Vietnam. That evening, the White House announced that it would begin withdrawing military advisors from Vietnam.

On October 3, Emperor Selassie left Washington D.C. for New York City, and on October 4, 1963, the Emperor delivered his ‘War’ speech to the assembly conference, speaking in the ancient Ethiopian language of Amharic.

On October 5, 1963, JFK announced his formal decision to withdraw from Vietnam, beginning with a withdrawal of 1,000 of the 16,000 so-called ‘military advisors’. Historians disagree about JFK’s true intentions about Vietnam. Yet the historical record shows that he first announced the decision to end the conflict while Emperor Selassie was present in the White House. The Emperor and the American president were sending the world a sign of solidarity.

President John F. Kennedy was murdered six weeks later in Dallas, Texas.
November 22, 2013 07:26PM
November 22, 2013 07:34PM
At the same time he was talking of exiting Vietnam he was also aware of the coup against of S. Vietnam's leader Ngo Dinh Diem, although most of the evidence weighs against him being involved with the planning of the actual murder of Diem.

[www2.gwu.edu]
November 22, 2013 08:41PM
it's great to see you all so aware of H.I.M Humanitarian Political works. H.I.M. also took aid from the USA in exchange for the USA positioning military bases in Ethiopia .Power of The Trinity!
November 22, 2013 09:05PM
sad every time I see how they dogged and killed our Irish King John Kennedy
(as well as the father of our nation Michael Collins)
we hail his Majesty sameway.
November 24, 2013 08:41AM
someone need to make large prints or a poster of Jack with His Imperial Majesty......
it just may end up being my project...cool
November 25, 2013 07:04PM
I just bought a copy of a another photograph of the motorcade from EBay and larger prints can be made-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2013 07:15PM by DJ BIG JIM.
November 26, 2013 12:15AM
Sent you a PM Big Jim!
May 03, 2014 01:44PM
"The Lion of Judah in the New World: Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia and the Shaping of Americans' Attitudes toward Africa"
by Theodore M. Vestal Ph.D
...the author, T.M. Vestal wrote the book with an American audience in mind, “It is an American’s view of an Ethiopian’s influence on Americans, and for that reason it was written primarily for an American audience. The author hopes Ethiopians will find it intriguing too” (preface page xiii).

[www.amazon.com]
May 03, 2014 02:31PM
IYah_Trod
"The Lion of Judah in the New World: Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia and the Shaping of Americans' Attitudes toward Africa"
by Theodore M. Vestal Ph.D
...the author, T.M. Vestal wrote the book with an American audience in mind, “It is an American’s view of an Ethiopian’s influence on Americans, and for that reason it was written primarily for an American audience. The author hopes Ethiopians will find it intriguing too” (preface page xiii).

thumbs up
May 03, 2014 04:10PM
I met Theodore Vestal back in 2004 when I attended a two-day academic conference at Stanford University to commemorate the centennial of diplomatic relations between the United States and Ethiopia.

Though I went there primarily to see and hear Robert Hill - author/compiler of the "Marcus Garvey and the UNIA Papers" books, I was blown away by the slideshow presentation of H.I.M. photos that Vestal gave, and was glad to see a professor out of Oklahoma taking such interest in Selassie.

A sprinkling of Vestal's photos of HIM can be seen on Vestal's OK State Web Page......
May 03, 2014 04:52PM
even though some stories are sad I truly love OURstory, my favorite subject to study as a youth and now as an adult I truly love learning new things regardless of subject or timeframe

Thank you all for the wonderful images and words!

Respect Same Way
May 03, 2014 08:19PM
This is a great thread. Bless yo'self Haile!
May 04, 2014 04:45AM
Yes I, glad to see it rise up to the top again, months later. Would love to see more of this kinda vibes on here....
May 05, 2014 01:39PM
I haven't had an opportunity to meet T. Vestal but we did have some correspondence, and he was gracious to mail me a signed copy of his book "The Lion of Judah in the New World". The author's admiration for HIM is well apparent in his writing. Nuff respect

Daniel
I met Theodore Vestal back in 2004 when I attended a two-day academic conference at Stanford University to commemorate the centennial of diplomatic relations between the United States and Ethiopia.

A sprinkling of Vestal's photos of HIM can be seen on Vestal's OK State Web Page......
May 05, 2014 03:31PM
This thread is awesome!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login