Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Royalties Watch in US?

Posted by strikkly 
Royalties Watch in US?
November 25, 2013 10:06AM
I have been listening to reggae and radio( news and sports mostly) for twenty years in the US Over the past several years especially I have heard the PROLIFIC use of jamaican and reggae riddims and songs in the background all over news broadcasts and sports talk shows of all kinds. I was even shocked when I heard a female voice on a big NFL add singing "walk like a champion talk like a champion". My question is, does the industry watch this and try to get its money because from my ears the music we love is gaining traction across the radio, television and commercial world. respect.
Re: Royalties Watch in US?
November 25, 2013 10:13AM
none or VERY little
November 25, 2013 12:32PM
If they have all their ducks in a row they do, no reason they shouldn't. You think Protojes "Kingston be wise" didnt see a check for its use in Grand theft auto?
November 25, 2013 02:26PM

You think Protojes "Kingston be wise" didnt see a check for its use in Grand theft auto?
Yeah, but was it made payable to Oje or to Ini Kamoze.....?
November 25, 2013 07:49PM
Scientist sued Rockstar for never paying him royalties for his tune being used in San Andreas. Not sure what ever became of it.
November 25, 2013 08:25PM
Scientist lost that legal battle. A British judge decided an engineer cannot be the artist of a song. An absolutely absurd ruling if I've ever heard one. I guess all those Greensleeves dub albums featuring Scientist's name and cartoon likeness are not actually his work!
November 26, 2013 09:08AM
Total bullshit. I mean the other day just on KNBR Murph and Mac morning sportstalk I heard Burning Spear, Steel Pulse, Bob Marley, Max Romeo and the list goes on.
Intros to news segments and special extended stories use nice riddims in the background throughout the segment.
They play random reggae jams at Giants ballpark.
I guess I wont even mention public radio as their reggae music themed hours are vital and indispensible, BUT their news segments and interviews should use discretion, respect and or DOLLARS $ for the abundant use of riddims that hard working people built.
IF MAINSTREAM SOCIETY CANNOT accept reggae culture and advancement then why are they absolutely raping and ripping off our riddims?
November 26, 2013 01:37PM
Billy_Boom
Scientist lost that legal battle. A British judge decided an engineer cannot be the artist of a song. An absolutely absurd ruling if I've ever heard one. I guess all those Greensleeves dub albums featuring Scientist's name and cartoon likeness are not actually his work!

Technially, no, the riddims he mixed were not his copyrighted material. Did he write a melody, bass line, bridge, or the shard of lyric left echoing in a particular dub? No.

I would think if anything, the Junjo Laws estate would be owed, or whoever the producer was--- if they retained ownership of the actual recording and the publishing rights. It was the Radics playing the track, right? Well, Flabba & the surviving Radics laid the track, but didn't author them.

Put me down for one who doesn't play video games---so may I ask, was there any sort of credit given on the game box??
November 26, 2013 02:26PM
papa ray
Technially, no, the riddims he mixed were not his copyrighted material

Yeah - with music it comes down to who published/owns the rights to the song. Sadly, that can be a tangled mess with regards to JA artists...

Not sure about gaming folks - but TV ad agencies are very accustomed to paying royalties when they use a song (or if not they hire some hacks to make a very similar tune - a practice that needs to go away). You are even supposed to have a use-license when you publish a video on YouTube, even if it's a live recording of the artist that does own the rights. Go figure...

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
November 26, 2013 05:22PM
I'm confused by your posts Strikkly. Would you rather KNBR NOT play reggae on sportstalk?

And the in-dust-tree DOES watch closely. Maybe not a particular reggae artist but google ASCAP sometime and you'll see that they, and other similar organizations are all over broadcasters insuring that they pay up and I'm sure that KNBR does......
November 27, 2013 02:27PM
On our Independent station, we pay twice. Once for on air and a second time for online. The question is, how many reggae artists and producers are part of ASCAP etc.? You have to register your music and there is a small fee. As far as radio goes, I believe that using the riddim or any portion of a song in leaders or background music is fine if you pay your fees - with the exception of a third party advertisement.

Radio is also a little different because it is a traditional medium artists and producers use to get the music out and sell records. Radio play is a good thing for the most part. The idea is to make money via radio not off of radio stations.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
November 27, 2013 08:07PM
There are two copyright and related rights collection societies that operate in Jamaica, and they are both part of the international music rights collections system and are parties to reciprocal agreements with USA based collection societies. Jamaican music producers, music publishers, and songwriters are represented by these two national collection societies - Jamaica Music Society (JAMMS) for music producers, and Jamaica Association of Composers Authors and Publishers (JACAP) for songwriters and music publishers.

Radio stations (traditional and digital) that operate in the USA do so with licenses from either ASCAP, BMI, or Sound Exchange, and fees are paid for the use of music. Jamaican songwriters, music producers, and performers do benefit from these fees paid by the USA based radio stations through the reciprocal agreements with the Jamaican collection societies.

As far as I am aware the songwriters/publishers and music producers of the songs that were included in the GTA V game will see financial benefits on the basis of the licensing agreements executed with Rockstar - the producers of the game.
November 28, 2013 09:11AM
Excellent post Lloyd----

Too bad the foundation pioneers of Jamaican music did not enjoy the protections for authorship and recorded performances. If not in the 60s, in the 70s; if not the 70s, then the 1980s

I smiled when my friend Leroy Pierson told me he provided photographic evidence for Bunny Wailer that refuted Coxone Dodd's claim to publishing rights on certain crucial Wailers recordings on Studio One.

Years and years ago, I recall a Jamaican youth in Sav-La-Mar hanging in Blondy Rickett's yard, asking me advice about a career in music. I asked him 'There's an enormous amount of youth in JA wanting the same--- Are YOU the best singer or DJ among all the people you know?' When he admitted he wasn't, I suggested insttead he go study the music business to be The Best Manager and handler of music business he possibly could be, find the very best talent he knew, and if need be, sleep in a ditch if necessary with that performer and make sure his business arrangements were RIGHT.

After all, for whatever his transgressions, Don Taylor made way more money& held more influence in the business of music than 99% of all the artists we so enjoy & revere.
December 03, 2013 12:54PM
Reggae takes "Non Reggae" Music and does what it will with it. You think Signal is paying for One More Night? I can't even imagine how many times Reggae has released "reggae" versions of tunes that were already recorded in the US and Abroad. Certain people are going to get paid if they are well represented AT THE TIME they actually produce a song or riddim. Others are NOT... NOT in the slightest. As far as being culture vultures... See Elvis Presley for details.
December 03, 2013 01:48PM
f-'n love song here son

December 03, 2013 02:17PM
Ninja
Reggae takes "Non Reggae" Music and does what it will with it. You think Signal is paying for One More Night?

I know for a fact they are... publishers pay attention to this kinda stuff... If VP hadn't cleared that interpolation by now there would be some MAJOR lawsuits.
December 03, 2013 02:41PM
Wonder what Shaggy made on this one spinning smiley sticking its tongue out :

December 03, 2013 04:08PM
Pablo Picasso said that a good artist copies but a great artist steals.

Not sure what that means but when I heard it the other day I thought of the music industry immediately and then for awhile.
December 04, 2013 10:36AM
strikkly
Pablo Picasso said that a good artist copies but a great artist steals.

Not sure what that means but when I heard it the other day I thought of the music industry immediately and then for awhile.

Great artists appropriate & transform from the tradition they have emerged; the average artist merely uses the prior example without elevating or expanding what they have borrowed. In other words, the great artist MAKES IT NEW, whereas the mediocre one doesn't.

However, Joe Gibbs basically screwed himself by not paying song royalties on 'Someone Loves You Honey' owned by Charlie Pride. If Picasso approached an earlier painter's landscapes & used a visual reference in a new canvas, that's one thing; Gibbs selling the J.C. Lodge recording of Pride's composition(AND licensing it overseas AND selling physical copies in the USA/Europe in the 1980s) is a totally different matter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login