JR MURVIN PASSED???
December 02, 2013 08:00AM
Can someone please confirm?
Re: JR MURVIN PASSED???
December 02, 2013 08:40AM
Yes
December 02, 2013 10:19AM
I just looked this up on google, and it's true that Junior Murvin passed away over the weekend. This is very sad news. He was on my top 20 list of artists I wanted to see at SNWMF, and I even checked online last year that he still was doing live shows every once in a while (making it possible that one day Junior would bless the stage at SNWMF). Would have been so nice to see "Police And Thieves" sung live, and to hear that voice of his in person.

I've collected as much of Junior's songs as I could over the years (some great songs scattered over various Black Ark comps), and will be listening to them a lot this week as a tribute. I really like the 2-cd, remastered collectors edition of the "Police And Thieves" album (which I listened to on my IPOD at work last week), which has lots of extra Black Ark recorded songs from that time, as well as some crucial dubs, etc. I also like the "Inna De Yard" album he recorded in Chinna Smith's yard, and the "Muggers In the Street" album is pretty good as well.

By the way, does anybody have the Junior Murvin album that he recorded for Mikey Dread in the early 1980s? That's been the one album I've never been able to find, and makes it all the more priceless now...

Anyway, RIP Junior Murvin, you will be missed, and thank you for all your music.
December 02, 2013 10:40AM
wow, sad news indeed. I feel lucky to have seen him perform, and his voice sounded great several years back.

yyf--the lp is called "bad man posse" and is definitely worth picking up. it pops up on ebay every now and again, and sometimes sneaks by for pretty cheap (considering)...

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
December 02, 2013 10:48AM
[jamaica-gleaner.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 11:46AM by Ras_Adam.
December 02, 2013 12:24PM
Wow, such a loss! I saw him at Snwmf at Angels camp back in 2001 I believe, a true roots legend.
December 03, 2013 07:35AM
Very sad indeed. Not so much a man coming to the end of a full, rich life - that fate awaits us all. No, sad in the sense that slowly, one by one, reggae music is losing these giants with few worthy heirs on the horizon that will carry this music into the future. Who is this generation's Junior Murvin? Who is going to produce this generation's "Police and Thieves"?

Quite often, I see commenters on this forum searching for answers to questions about reggae music's continuing legacy. The question boils down to "who's keeping it real", if you will. With talented bad-actors like Buju, Vybz Cartel, Eek-a-Mouse and the like poisoning the waters for more conscious artistes, it is no wonder so many of us fear for the future of this music.

Fortunately, there is hope. A new wave of artistes representing the 'Reggae Revival' movement gives reason for optimism. Along with enjoying the musical legacy of the Masters, I have committed myself to exploring and supporting these so-called revivialists.
December 03, 2013 08:49AM
Walter, who are some of the revivalists you are checking and do you rate any?
December 03, 2013 11:14AM
Kabaka Pyramid, Chronixx, Tarrus Riley, Iba Mahr, Protoje, (to name but a few) and.....

... wait for it....

Snoop Lion!! eye popping smiley (j/k)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 11:33AM by Walter.
December 03, 2013 12:05PM
What a horrible loss of such an iconic artist. Things have changed in 30-40 years in Reggae and as we all know the only constant thing in life is change. No one man can replace another but I see this generations next Junior Murvin as artists like Tarrus Riley, Romain Virgo, Anthony B, Bushman, Richie Spice, Chuck Fenda, Gappy Ranks, Jah Cure or im sure there is a few artists i'm not mentioning that arent specifically in the J.O.E. movement or "Reggae Revival". But if there isn't anybody on this list that is on your personal playlist then the next Junior Murvin might not be out there for you. There is plenty of good quality artists out there putting out good music, you just have to have the time to sift thru the constant drip of mediocre music.
December 03, 2013 04:15PM
Octagon
....you just have to have the time to sift thru the constant drip of mediocre music.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
December 03, 2013 04:38PM
RIP to the man.

Now musically speaking, all those artists Octagon mentioned are bigger than Junior Murvin, plus many others. Let's "keep it real", if "Police & Thieves" weren't covered by The Clash, Murvin would've been a two-hit wonder and hardly "iconic".
December 03, 2013 07:07PM
A few photos I took took of Junior Murvin at Rebel Salute either 2010 or 2011. I feel so fortunate to have been the onstage photographer for this show. I never knew it would be the last time to see this legendary artist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login