Rebel Salute 2014 Rollcall
December 06, 2013 04:48PM
Not long to go for Rebel Salute 2014- anyone making the trip from the board this year? anyone have any news on when the line up will be announced?
Re: Rebel Salute 2014 Rollcall
December 06, 2013 05:14PM
I attended last year and had a fantastic time. Terrific festival. Have you attended before?
December 06, 2013 05:43PM
I went last year. It was crazy, but good crazy. I actually brought my 2 year old the 2nd night after seeing it the first night. Here's a little advice. Bring a comfortable chair, warm during the day but cools off in the early morning. If you want to see the headliners they won't go on til when the sun comes up so be ready for a long night. It rained the first year in the early morning so sitting on the ground was out.
I'm about to book my trip. Where's everyone staying this year? I stayed at some resort last year and will most likely will again. It's the one the Rebel Salute suggests. Some of the artists were staying there and we had the pleasure to run into Marcia Griffiths and Jiggsy King. Can't wait.
December 06, 2013 07:12PM
We should be staying up in country near Bamboo, makin the treck down to Rebel Salute, lookin forward no doubt!
December 06, 2013 07:58PM
It's a fun show every year... I'll probably make the trip up to ochi for it for at least 1 day (i only attended one day of last year's show, didn't have the funds to do 2 nights hotel)
December 07, 2013 06:40AM
im forwarding
December 08, 2013 03:51PM
Diesel....
Im headed to JA this year with my family and I am interested in hearing about someones experience with children at the RS festival...
My wife is not exactly in favor of taking the young ones to the show....
Are you taking the family again this year?
December 09, 2013 02:22AM
Hope to attend, guess I'd grab a room in Ochi.

Any who went to this venue attend the Alligator Pond era of shows? If so, how would you compare them?
December 10, 2013 10:19PM
I have been to Alligator Pond and last years venue Richmond Estate. I enjoyed the vibes last year more as the stage seemed bigger and the overall facilities were better and probably more accessible from the north coast. The two days worked well as most artists got a decent amount of stage time although some like the Mighty Diamonds could have done with a longer set.

I remember talking to Queen Ifrica last year who was keen to stress that Rebel Salute is a FAMILY event and although I didn't attend there were supposed to be lots of family workshops /events during the day on Saturday.

I would struggle to enjoy the whole festival with my two year old but everyones children are different.

Definitely worth being prepared for rain and good footwear is a must.

I'll be travelling up from Kingston as I will be based there before Rebel Salute -bit of a drive (2hrs each way) but saves having to check into a small B and B for 2 nights close to the venue.

I meet Sis Irie briefly last year and I'm sure she will have some more to add to the discussion too.
December 11, 2013 04:44AM
dannyroots
Diesel....
Im headed to JA this year with my family and I am interested in hearing about someones experience with children at the RS festival...
My wife is not exactly in favor of taking the young ones to the show....
Are you taking the family again this year?

This year we are trying to go alone but not because of any problems just to have fun alone.
My wife did not like the idea about leaving our daughter with a stranger while we went to the show but after we got to the hotel and saw the place she wasn't worried. We dropped her off asleep and she didn't wake up til we came and got her. The place has 1 person for every 5 kids. You have to tell them ahead of time so they can have a space reserved. There were also several other people doing the same thing.
The second night we decided to take our daughter because Rebel Salute was not as crazy as we thought it would be. I had to walk all over and buy a chair so my wife could sit and hold her ,but other than that no problems. The front door security even helped me find a cab to send them home around 4am so I could stay the night.
December 15, 2013 09:50PM
Seeing Bunny Wailer being posted on FB for Rebel Salute-anyone know when the line up will be released?
December 19, 2013 05:10AM
Less than a month away and no line-up....
December 19, 2013 11:03AM
Octagon
Less than a month away and no line-up....

Pretty typical for a JA stageshow, not to worry. I believe it was around this time last year that they finally announced a lineup
December 20, 2013 11:15PM
The full lineup for both days is now posted on the RS homepage. It's pretty staggering.

BTW, thanks to those who posted advice from last year. I found it quite helpful in planning my trip.
December 21, 2013 12:52AM
Planning to be there friday... Possibly saturday as well if I can find reasonable accommodations in Ochi. Between Fred Locks, The Tamlins, and Johnny Osbourne that's gonna be an epic night
December 21, 2013 07:32AM
2015 I have to make happen.. Really feel this hole in my heart and need to make it back to the island.. The only thing that my experience lacked was a jamaican reggae festival.. So this is my next goal.. God I miss that island!!!
January 01, 2014 08:47PM
Did anyone stay in Ochi last year? Any memory of about how much a cab from town to the festival costs? Many thanks!
January 01, 2014 09:08PM
I'm willing to drive a few folks if they can throw down on gas. Leaving from Kingston.
January 10, 2014 04:03PM
If anyone is heading to Negril after RS this is going on. (I'll actually be there to see some mento music, but this bill doesn't interest me much.)

SUNDAY, JANUARY 19

Negril Jerk Festival

@ Wavz Beach, Negril

Featuring: Kiprich, D'Angel, Jah Mason and Terry Linen

"10 a.m. to midnight"
January 10, 2014 08:00PM

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
January 10, 2014 09:38PM
Noah
Did anyone stay in Ochi last year? Any memory of about how much a cab from town to the festival costs? Many thanks!

I remember paying about $35 for that ride several years ago to another event, made arrangements with the driver for the return trip to Ochi and the guy never showed up leaving my wife and I stranded. Local event and no taxis in sight and that was before everyone had cell phones in Ja. Had to sit at the exit and beg people for a ride back...Typical Jamaican travel adventure...ha ha

Done the Ochi to Negril taxi trip several times as well...that one was expensive, like around $140.
January 10, 2014 11:20PM
Thanks....that's quite helpful. Now I know not to switch hostels because a new one in Ochi is five bucks cheaper!
January 11, 2014 02:56AM
I will be there for sure. Staying at Cardiff Resort and Spa this year. I went to RS in Alligator Pond for at least ten years. I loved it very much. The new venue has a totally different vibe but I still enjoyed it and liked some of the updated conveniences. I do miss the rural atmosphere of Alligator Pond and particularly miss staying on the beach at the Sea Riv and swimming in the river where it meets the sea.

Hope some of you come up and say hello. I am the redhead with the long lens...lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login