Reggae Connection
Sly & Robbie And The Jam Masters
Label: K'z Records

Reincarnated
Snoop Lion
Label: RCA Records/Berhane Sound System/Boss Lady Ent
Re: 2013 grammy noms
December 08, 2013 12:15AM
As much as I admire Ziggy, I don't think he or Snoop should be on there.
December 08, 2013 04:58AM
I agree with J 72, taKE OUT-THOSE TWO AND PUT IN PROTOJE AND BITTY MCCLEAN.
December 08, 2013 05:30AM
I hope Snoop Lion doesn't win
December 08, 2013 06:14AM
Isn't Snoop unreincarnated already? Would be weird to give him an award for that album when he seemed so changed, but really not. Reminds me of my sister getting wedding presents after the bliss of her month long marriage was over.

Love that reggae!
December 08, 2013 06:54PM
Bitty McLean's album The Taxi Sessions is terrific!
Peace,
Bagga.....
December 09, 2013 05:48PM
The award is for sales, etc, not how Rasta one is.... Eddie Murphy prob helped... It's a business award, right?
December 09, 2013 06:55PM
Snoop being nominated just shows how big of a joke the grammy's really are.
December 09, 2013 07:15PM
Snoop shouldn't be on there cause we don't beLIEve him when he says he is Rasta.. Doesn't he make "rap" music... who came up with that anyway... Oh, a Jamaican? What do you mean the greatest MC of all time was.. Jamaican... This is all very confusing. Next thing you are going to tell me is Jamaican's and African Americans come from the same place...
December 09, 2013 07:22PM
Snoop shouldn't be on there because his album is nowhere near the best REGGAE album of the year.
December 09, 2013 07:35PM
The oddball in the list, to me, is the Sizzla album.

Beres is very palatable and is certainly deserving.

Ziggy has that famous last name and the only way a Live album would be included.

Sly and Robbie is a household brand name.

The Snoop Lion nomination is a not only a nod to the star power of the Dogg himself, but also to the crossover potential of Major Lazer who has made huge in-roads into mainstream culture for reggae music. I doubt that Snoop would have been so successful if not for the ML collaboration. I say this is the future of reggae since it has reached so may people and therefore the most likely award winner.

December 09, 2013 07:39PM
Bun, I agree that the Sizzla album shouldn't be there either.
December 09, 2013 08:40PM
since when did the best reggae recordings for any given year = Grammy Nominations???
December 09, 2013 09:04PM
Never has Ninja, as far as I can tell. Hence the reason I said the grammy's are a joke. This year just proves the joke even further.
December 09, 2013 09:12PM
Grammys has much more to do with.. what was the most popular record etc. Please don't think I am disrespecting the awards show "for pimps and ho's" as my Step Uncle In Law KRS says. TO ME... The fact that 8 Year Affair is not on here is all I need to know. Maybe Selena Gomez will be nominated next year.
December 09, 2013 09:21PM
If Snoop wins it would funny to see him try to flip out of his mothership funk mode back into Jafakin' speak complete with fake JA accent and catchphrases that he's picked up (Shoogah, Reeewind for sizzle)!
December 09, 2013 09:39PM
almost as funny as seeing J Boog, Alborosie, Gentlemen, Groundation, Jah Sun or anyone of many people who make reggae... not speak with a Jamaica accent. I saw Idris Alba faking an American accent when he was playing Stinger Bell in the Wire.. what? He was only doing it to "play the roll"? You mean when he was "in character"? I am so confused at the line between music and film/tv the next thing you are going to tell me is it is all part of the entertainment industry.
December 09, 2013 09:47PM
December 09, 2013 10:12PM
Give Sizzla the grammy!

p.s. Greetings and peace and love to all who post here.
Great knowledge and understanding shared by this community!
December 09, 2013 10:55PM
Dr Suess

thumbs up
December 11, 2013 02:05AM
Entertainment
'Travesty if Snoop wins'

BY HOWARD CAMPBELL Observer senior writer

Tuesday, December 10, 2013
ROGER Steffens, who headed the Grammy Awards Reggae Committee for 27 years, says it would be a travesty if American rapper Snoop Lion won the Best Reggae Album category at next month's show.

In an interview with the Jamaica Observer, Steffens described Snoop as a "pretentious wanna-be". He is also not impressed with nominees for Best Reggae Album who were announced last Friday in Los Angeles.

"I think it would be a travesty if Snoop wins. He, like Matisyahu and many others before him, have used a Rasta-influenced format and warped it toward their own ends," said Steffens.

Snoop (formerly Snoop Dogg) is nominated for Reincarnated. He says his conversion to Rastafari was inspired by a visit to Jamaica in 2012 when he experienced a spiritual awakening while meeting with a group of Rastafarian elders.

Sly and Robbie and the Jam Masters' Reggae Connection, Sizzla's The Messiah, One Love, One Life by Beres Hammond and Ziggy Marley in Concert are the other nominees for Best Reggae Album.

Steffens formed the Reggae Committee and served as its chairman until 2011. He has openly criticised the selection process, claiming that judges favour albums produced by the Marley family.

The Marleys have dominated the category since it was established in 1985. Brothers Ziggy, Damian and Stephen have won Grammys as solo acts, while Ziggy and Steve won multiple times as members of Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers.

Steffens, considered an authority on Bob Marley and the Wailers, believes this year's nominees maintain the trend of mediocre selections.

"The nominations this year fit into the pocket of name recognition more than anything else, regardless of sales or actual quality," he said.

Reincarnated, with sales of over 80,000 units, is the best selling reggae album for 2013. The year has been poor in terms of sales by Jamaican artistes, with American reggae bands performing better on the Billboard charts.

The Snoop set attracted mass coverage from mainstream media in the United States, due to his conversion from 'gangsta rap' icon to cultural artiste.

The lanky rapper (real name Calvin Broadus) is one of the godfathers of gangsta rap which emerged out of southern California's impoverished communities in the early 1990s with hardcore rap acts such as NWA and Ice T.

The 56th annual Grammy Awards is scheduled for the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles on January 26.
December 11, 2013 12:02PM
Hopefully Beres wins in lifetime-achievement fashion, but in the end it doesn't really matter.
January 26, 2014 11:24PM
Congrats to Ziggy on yet another Grammy.....

January 26, 2014 11:34PM
I highly respect Ziggy, but.....
January 27, 2014 12:15AM
Best Reggae Album

One Love, One Life - Beres Hammond

WINNER: Ziggy Marley In Concert - Ziggy Marley

The Messiah - Sizzla

Reggae Connection - Sly & Robbie And The Jam Masters

Reincarnated - Snoop Lion
January 27, 2014 04:23AM

Best Reggae Album

One Love, One Life - Beres Hammond

Of those nominated..... agreed!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login