Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

it's a good LP, but really...?

Posted by mosquito killer 
it's a good LP, but really...?
December 16, 2013 07:51PM
anyone else see this? lordy.

i really like this album, but these bids are, as the kids say, cray cray.

[www.ebay.com]

m.

* [www.shocksofshebamusic.com]
* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
Re: it's a good LP, but really...?
December 16, 2013 08:47PM
Wait... This LP is a compilation... issued in 2004... and its used... and someone bought it for over 700 bones... wtf?
December 17, 2013 02:26AM
I never really understood the extravagant prices I see some reggae lp's go for. I guess I would need to be seriously into vinyl to understand.
December 17, 2013 04:03AM
Even with MP3 trading, if you're around long enough (10+ years), there are tunes or live audio which becomes very hard to find. So, if you have records, hang onto them, because you never know...
December 17, 2013 10:16PM
Yeah, just silly if this wasn't a case of fake bidding. It seems reggae auctions have been ending for less in the past year or two though. No solid evidence, just a guess from someone who follows reggae on ebay regularly. Dub lps and singles mentioned by the digi cheerleading squad on the b&f board are the only records i still see increasing.

Too bad about the dub lps. winking smiley
December 17, 2013 10:35PM
yeah, apparently shaka killers don't carry the swing anymore. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

also, the bidders didn't have many stars, so they may be very new and could have gotten caught up in the frenzy, but i doubt that really explains what went on here; carried away by $10s is one thing, but $100s...doubtful.

i should note that i really like this album an awful lot. it has a great country roots vibes--the old style that i love, with nice harmonies. but then again, i paid about $10 for mine.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
December 17, 2013 11:18PM
Sounds like a nice set; I need to check out samples when I get around some speakers again. You're right, shaka killa no longer carries the swing. Now digi shaka anthem on the other hand...
December 18, 2013 12:48AM
Dezarie's Fya album comes to mind. It went on Ebay a couple months ago for over $300 and there are a couple of people on ebay pricing her first couple albums on cd for $100+. Straight silly if you ask me. I can understand vinyl getting a higher price (although $300 is absurd) but if people really want to listen to the music, the internet has made it quite easy without getting ripped off
December 22, 2013 11:49PM
Last year I saw Alton Ellis' Mouth A Massey go for over 6 Grand on Ebay---and less than 2 months later, you could find it on VP Records 50th Anniversary set. Seeing that I thought 'well, that should hold the price of a very good Alton Ska closer to earth...'

But I just saw a copy go for $4500.00 this month---so access alone to music doesn't always explain some of the amounts you see vinyl command.
December 23, 2013 01:09AM
There's value, and there's the price people are willing to pay. I suppose at this point, an original press of vinyl is akin to the first edition of a book....an outdated medium to many, but there are still those who hold value to what they can hold in hand.
December 23, 2013 08:29PM
well, if i really wanted a single and had to pay top dollar, the fact that it might be issued on a crappy mastered vinyl release from vp wouldn't change a thing for me. i pretty much avoid vp vinyl if at all possible.

and an mp3 is an mp3...apples and oranges.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
December 25, 2013 10:05AM
I was watching that one for some time. I was shocked. Absolutely befuddled. The production on that album is mediocre at best, and the cover art looks like it was done at the mall.
January 10, 2014 06:20AM
papa ray
Last year I saw Alton Ellis' Mouth A Massey go for over 6 Grand on Ebay---and less than 2 months later, you could find it on VP Records 50th Anniversary set. Seeing that I thought 'well, that should hold the price of a very good Alton Ska closer to earth...'

But I just saw a copy go for $4500.00 this month---so access alone to music doesn't always explain some of the amounts you see vinyl command.

Yeah that was crazy town Papa Ray!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login