Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tribute to the legends in San Diego

Posted by Redeye 
Tribute to the legends in San Diego
December 24, 2013 02:03PM
Monday , February 17,2014 ,Tribute To The Legends at the San Diego Sports Area ..line is out ..Sly and Robbie W/ Bitty McLean , Horace Andy , & Don Carlos, Dezarie, Midnite, Tribal Seeds , Tarrus Riley W/ Dean Frazer, Protoje, Jah9

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 12:46PM by Daniel.
wow, what a line-up! Definitely worth a road trip south!
Could this possibly fortel a journey north for Dezarie?

Love that reggae!
Re: Tribute to the legends in San Diego: performing Protoje, Jah9 ,Sly & Robbie W/ Bitty McLean ,Horace Andy and Don Carlos, Midnite , Dezarie & more ,
December 25, 2013 06:40PM
Been there a couple a times .. The venu has a rotating stage .. No breaks besides maybe 15 min
Finally someone books Bitty. Are there any other shows?
Re: Tribute to the legends in San Diego
December 29, 2013 01:07AM
NiiiiiiiiiceNess ...
December 29, 2013 09:27PM
A truly amazing lineup! Hope especially to see Bitty McLean in 2014!
Peace,
Bagga..........
January 03, 2014 07:21AM
January 03, 2014 06:58PM
This lineup looks awesome. Well worth the trip to SoCal.
January 03, 2014 07:56PM
I thought about heading south for this but when I saw that the show is only 7 hrs long (3PM to 10PM) it stopped me. With 11 plus artists they sure don't have much time to play.......especially with set changes..............
January 09, 2014 09:59PM
As mentioned above, the stage spins around in a circle with 2 full band setups. So when one band is done the stage rotates and the next band starts. Most set breaks are 5 mins.
Set times are shorter at the start (30 or 40 mins) with the bigger names playing an hour or more towards the end.

Ticket price is $50 including fees. Very reasonable considering the lineup.

There is also some VIP business for $144

[www.tributetothelegends.com]
January 12, 2014 06:50AM
January 12, 2014 11:29AM
Willie Willams will be in VIP Lounge too..
January 12, 2014 08:12PM
I hope so, I won 2 VIP tix. Really been wanting to see Messenger Man for a long time. Kinda weird he is not on the new flyer?

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
January 12, 2014 09:07PM
This gig used to travel all of the up to Santa Cruz, and then the Bay. Although the lineup that came north was never as epic as the ones in SoCal, I saw some great TTTR Shows (or Raggamuffins, as they were once called) at the Bill Graham and Fox Theater.

What happened, Bay Area?
January 13, 2014 09:44AM
Just bought my plane ticket! I am headed to San Diego! Flying out of Redmond, OR Friday at 420 and arriving in San Diego Friday night around Midnite! Anyone recommend a hotel close by the venue? Do not want to have to rent a car so I am planning on taking cabs everywhere. Any info would be great as it has been since 2001 that I have been to San Diego. How far is the venue from the airport? I was skeptical about going as I was worried I would not see a super long set by Midnite, I decided though that there is a ton of great artists and will enjoy there set no matter how long it is!
January 13, 2014 02:06PM
The venue is not far from the airport but I don't suggest staying by the venue. It's not the best area. It's filled with bad bars, tattoo parlors and strip clubs. Or maybe it is for you. Lol. I suggest staying in Downtown or at one of the beaches. Downtown is probly a $20 can ride. Ocean Beach isn't to far from the venue and is a reggae friendly community and just a great place in general, cool bars, good food of types and prices, lots of stores. I love it down there. Not sure of the names of hotels as i didn't stay in them when I lived there but they are all over. If you do go to Ocean Beach Solid Rock from this site will probly know of a reggae night there too. I think Carlos Culture still has one called Club Kingston.
January 13, 2014 02:29PM
Thanks Diesel! Might be worth a more expensive cab ride to stay in a nicer part of San Diego. Appreciate the help! I will look into it! I am kinda waiting on my hotel to see if I can get a buddy or two to come.
January 13, 2014 03:06PM
BTW I don't drink, don't have any tattoos and gave up on strippers after dating one back in the day when I lived in the bay area. I thought I liked bad girls, LOL. To much for me to handle. LMAO So yeah that part of San Diego does not interest me, now the beach on the other hand.....
January 14, 2014 09:12AM
rossta pm for info about a realy col spot to stay. Don't want to blow it up like I did Hendy back in the day! smoking smiley

January 30, 2014 03:19PM
Awesome lineup indeed. Got my crew and myself some tickets, we are so ready for this! I have never been to this place, anyone know what it's like inside? We are in General so, I am wondering about the seating, though I might not be doing much of that, anyone here know how the seating, if any, is in this venue?
January 30, 2014 08:56PM
VgVgirl -
Its a giant indoor sports arena building. Like being at a hockey game. There's plenty of tiered seating so you can see from anywhere. Since it's a huge concrete cavern, I recommend getting as close to the speakers as you can handle. It will sound less boomy and echoed.
Then go sit when you get tired. Wear confortable shoes, you'll be standing on concrete all day.

The good news is you wont get a sunburn. smiling smiley
January 31, 2014 11:33AM
Yes, the Sports Arena is one of the worst venues for a concert. Sound quality is guaranteed to be abysmal.
January 31, 2014 02:33PM
Hey stay positive for me Walter, Im flying from Oregon for this show. LOL I don't want to read them things LOL

All I can say is MIDNITE AND DEZARIE! BOOM
January 31, 2014 02:34PM
Is this a family friendly venue/show. I have a 6 yr old daughter and I need to pick and choose my festivals and shows very carefully.
January 31, 2014 02:42PM
Rastavibe I have never been to this particular festival but in my humble opinion I would think this would be a great show to bring your daughter too. Very strong roots lineup, anyone with experience at this festival chime in??

Walter, you know I was just messing with you right? I enjoy your posts, was just having some fun.
January 31, 2014 03:37PM
I don't think this would be the best show for a child. the last time I went the music was pretty harsh on the ear, being in a coliseum as opposed to outdoors. It's not like his six year old daughter is anticipating the "very strong roots lineup" -- instead she will just notice the painfully loud noise she can't escape. the place also had a ton of drunk young people staggering around with their beers. very unappealing. it's been quite a few years, so maybe this has changed.

if this line up were at snwmf or such, I would wholeheartedly agree with rossta8888, but the venue alone is enough for me to not recommend it.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
January 31, 2014 05:08PM

Yes, the Sports Arena is one of the worst venues for a concert. Sound quality is guaranteed to be abysmal.

Unfortunately, that's really true for the most part but, if you are on the lower level and wander around enough, you'll be able to find a couple of 'spots' where the music sounds decent. The one BIG advantage is the 'rotating circular stage'. This allows one band to set up in the back while the other is playing resulting in NO SET CHANGE TIME...
January 31, 2014 11:34PM
rossta8888
Walter, you know I was just messing with you right? I enjoy your posts, was just having some fun.

No worries, rossta8888, I have a thick skin. Having fun in life is one of the key purposes of life -- have fun and spread the joy it gives you around.

And don't get me wrong, I'll be in the building myself - no way I am not going with that lineup.
February 01, 2014 03:53AM
Looks like a few of us are heading South for this awesome line-up. Can't wait for that weekend.
February 03, 2014 04:16PM
Thanks for the info. Very much looking forward to this one! smiling smiley
February 03, 2014 10:09PM
I have been to this event since I was 16. I do not suggest bringing your child. It is a 8 hour smoke out session for most people. Being in doors its even hard on my lungs.

Also pitch in the extra and get floor passes. Being the seating is cool for a little while but gets old. You will want to be on the floor.
February 04, 2014 07:42AM
I am confused, the $45 ticket that I bought will only get me a seated spot?? What do you have to buy to be on the floor??
February 04, 2014 07:43AM
It's one price now for general admission..VIP is mor e$$$$
February 04, 2014 08:02AM
Im not sure how tickets this year but in years past they sell 2 types of tickets. General Admission that lets you in the venue and in the seating area. The second type is floor tickets. These tickets let you down on the floor in front of the stage. They can only sell a limited amount of floor tickets or there would be to many people on the floor. Or maybe they are limiting the number of people total. If everyone in the venue can go down to the floor it will be way to crowded.
February 04, 2014 08:04AM
wow glad this was brought to my attention, I need to look into this. If could only be in the seated area I would not be very happy. thanks everyone.
February 04, 2014 08:44AM
Diesel ,One price .Try buying your ticket.. !!
February 04, 2014 08:48AM
Yes, I went to the website, $44 will get you in the GA section which seems like you can get as close as you want and stand! Excited to hear this place will be boxed with smoke! I will be adding to that for sure! "time is not counted from daylight but from MIDNITE!:
February 04, 2014 12:31PM
This was a response I got when I enquired today about seating and being on the floor! This is the second time I have sent them an email and they are awesome about responding and taking the time to answer your questions! Good people!

Greetings,

GA will have access to BOTH Floor and Seats this year. The only other ticket is the VIP Lounge which has their own viewing area.

Could you please clarify this on the phorum for us?

Give Thanks

Jesse
WBC
February 04, 2014 01:16PM
Wow that is gonna suck! It's usually way crowded on the floor already. Oh well. Yeah and as far as family friendly, not so much. I mean it is VERY loud, and so smoky that even "I" have to go out to the patio for air. Not so bad if u r up in the rafters, but mos def not ideal for a youngin. Nothing like SNWMF. 1 year my son and I were in the middle of a mini riot caused by Eek-a-mouse and his gang members friends. It's downtown SD guys, miles from Boonville! Security was scared shitless.

February 04, 2014 01:39PM
Is the VIP pass worth buying??
February 05, 2014 01:01AM
rossta8888
Is the VIP pass worth buying??

Depends on how much you like Willi Williams, Sister Nancy and Alika, I guess.

The last time I went to this venue was to see Cornel Campbell.

There were no "riots". The ventilation could be better.

It's 5 miles from downtown SD in a "light industrial" neighborhood.

It's 2 miles to OB/Sunset Cliffs - you can find fresh air and ocean views. And food. And bars. And cabs.

Parking in the gigantic lot will probably be stupid, like $15-20.

There will likely be a dumb rule about no water bottles inside.

A beer will be probably be $12-25 depending on size.

Bring ear plugs and good shoes.

Smiles go a long way in confined quarters. There will likely be no ins/outs.

its $50 for this line up...

Protoge and Jah9 are also playing the next night (Tuesday) at WBC.

[www.worldbeatculturalcenter.memberlodge.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 09:37PM by HI*FI.
February 05, 2014 08:44AM
Thank you Hi Fi for the insight. I really don't care about Alika or the other artists, I just was wondering if it would be a better place to watch the bands I am coming for. Don Carlos, Midnite, Dezarie, Riley and the others. I don't drink so the bar doesn't entice me, I am staying at the Wydam Hotel right down the street so parking shouldn't be an issue for me. Thanks for the heads up on Tuesday night but I am flying back to Oregon Tuesday night. I will be flying in Friday night if there is anything going on fri-sun night.

Thanks

Tyler
February 05, 2014 09:41AM
I am really excited to see Tarrus Riley live for the first time! What a voice he has, been listening to his tunes a lot the last few weeks!
February 07, 2014 09:34AM
Just added Third World yesterday..
February 07, 2014 08:01PM
...special guests

Respect Same Way
February 08, 2014 12:19PM
This is a great show and a great thing for San Diego. It gives you a bunch of artist in 1 day. The only thing I wish is the sets were longer. 40- 50 min per act. I really wish Bitty gets a nice full set. Im planning on making the trip as a I always have a great time.
February 18, 2014 11:51AM
Bitty Mclean stole the show....nuff said.
February 19, 2014 01:41AM
I know this is flaring up an old topic, but after giving it a day of rest, my wife and I feel compelled to bring it up. Makela Dread may be a reggae ambassador for SoCal and San Diego, she may be a radio DJ, she may have founded the World Beat Center, etc, etc. However, this woman should not be an emcee. Her rants about people of color completely impacted the sweet vibe of the show last night. She went on and on about Mexicans being called Spanish and black people being proud of their flared nostrils, and with a very angry tone which totally offset the mood of the show. I am white, my wife is white, we were sharing an area and food, drink, and smoke with several strangers who became friends (typical of any good vibe show)...they were African American, Hispanics, Asian, mixed race individuals...and what have you...their color and/or didn't even cross my mind until this lady started going off. Everyone of us was looking around at each other with odd looks and we were asking each other what she was going off about and why she was making race an issue and why she sounded so angry. The group of 5 or 6 African Americans were the most vocal about this...they said she was making them anxious and nervous. It was a total buzz kill (it was only later that I found out she was the promoter...otherwise, she would have been yanked off stage in a New York minute) Upon recognizing her voice, I recalled her being the one describing the Lions (from LA) as "White Boys playing Jah Music" as SNWMF in 2009, but not with a loving, respecting tone (by the way, the Lions killed it, I mean KILLED it at both of their performances that year. Normally, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but her prior discussions during her "emcee"(ing) were somewhat offensive and to the lay person, she may have simply been a hard read (not to me). I am not a fan. I don't care if she was friends with Bob Marley, or if she brought all these musicians to San Diego (I live in another state but my parents live in SoCal). She is not the "positive" person she claims to be. She has anger and hate that has no place at a reggae festival. She needs to listen to the words of the positive lyric artists she promotes...those who promote color blindness, acceptance, and love. She needs to save it....nuff said.
February 19, 2014 06:47AM
I agree that Bitty McLean's set was AWESOME. The man is humble, intelligent, dedicated and talented but, most of all, Bitty has a REAL VOICE, something that is sorely lacking in reggae these days.

For me, the 'surprise' of the show was the extent to which AJ Brown sounded EXACTLY like Bunny Rugs. Though Third World lacked some of the 'tightness' from the last time I saw them, there were times I swore I was hearing Bunny's voice in that arena.

But the best set for me, by far, was the one laid down later in the night by the festival's other REAL VOICE - Dezarie!!!!
February 19, 2014 07:56AM
Midnite 40min set...I wonder which two songs they played winking smiley
February 19, 2014 09:55AM
JCom you too eh? I was gonna say just cause you are a promoter does not make it ok for you to get up and talk a bunch of talk, especially a talk like the ones she did. Telling us our backgrounds as if we were a bunch of un educated people that didn't know who we are or who we came from...how if we are Mexican where did we think we got our big lips and flared nostrils from, "not the European side" "cause how can anything good or beautiful come from a white people?" is what she sounded like she was saying. Anyway.... my day in a quick minute... Got to the festival with perfect timing to secure a spot up in the front so, I was up close and personal, which made me happy. Piracy Conspiracy was cool, you can tell they work hard. I was excited to see Jah9 who came to the set a bit late and ( I believe ) cut into Protoje's time... he took the stage, with the still on stage Indiggnation, who backed Jah9, then suddenly when I was really catching my vibe with Proto, the stage starts to spin him off! I was like WTF? He barely got to do 3 songs (then Makeda came on and talked for over 11 minutes...WTF Protoje could have done a couple more songs but NO instead we got that lecture mentioned above), was it me or did he look as surprised, shocked, pissed, as I was that he got cut off so fast? Or was that a tease to get the crowd to go the World Beat Center for his show the next night? Tarrus Riley was good with his contagious love but I was still seeing red from not getting a long enough set from Protoje to enjoy Riley very much, as a matter of fact on went Bitty, yeah he has a good voice but I wanted to listen to the Revival, Horace Andy with his sweet highs had me coming back somewhat (LOL) then Tribal Seeds hit the stage, I thought they did a good tribute to Steel Pulse with their Chant a Psalm version, yeah TS had me coming back to getting a good vibe smiling smiley ( I drove in from Sacramento and Protoje was one of my highlights). Did I mention I was very upset about Protoje's ever so short set? I love me some Don Carlos so, when he hit the stage I was in pure bliss, gosh I sure do love him, DC that is. Third World was cool I was just irritated with them 'cause Makeda blamed them for cutting Protoje off so fast. lol Can I get over it yet? I had never seen Dezarie...My sister said, "she was kinda slow and I could see how some people would get bored with her if they aren't paying attention to her words", "she's smart", I have to say, Oh my word!!! This lady can SING, I was in absolute awe with her mesmerizing voice. Midnite, I can never tell if these guys are having fun 'cause they always look so serious but, I caught a smile or two from Vaughn. I need to listen to them more so that I can remember the names of their songs. Of course Alborosie was fun and, I think his set was a good choice to end the night with, upbeat and fun. Oh yeah Tribute to the Reggae Legends, I heard it mentioned that this is San Diego's biggest show of the year...Yes, the line up was awesome, no doubt but, if San Diego is roots capital, then Nor Cal is Reggaelandia and we are so spoiled with all the reggae we get up here year round! Oh!!! and I almost forgot, last night while driving back up through the Fresno area we caught Spliff Skanink's show on KPFA, he just happened to be giving away tickets to a bunch of upcoming shows in the area. Guess who won?! ..and guess what show the tickets are for... Sunday New Parish...PROTOJE! and Romain Virgo. I was going to to regardless, but winning the tickets really did make up for his short set at Legends. Bring on Sunday, bring on Protoje and Indiggnation and most of all bring on SNWMF.... and all the other festivals we have to look forward to this summer! smiling smiley
February 19, 2014 10:40AM
Every scene has a complete and total clown that is the " reggae ambassador " . To cool for school, and just helpless hapless hopeless. I don't know this ambassador , but I know she is not an acceptable MC for club show , stage show, concert or festival in my times seeing her absolutely blow it. I know it's not easy, what if it was you ip there blah blah blah... Hire a respected MC or just flip the stage.and keep it moving.... Or throw your own show and you can be the unannounced star of the show...err
February 19, 2014 10:48AM
Daniel
I agree that Bitty McLean's set was AWESOME. The man is humble, intelligent, dedicated and talented but, most of all, Bitty has a REAL VOICE, something that is sorely lacking in reggae these days.

For me, the 'surprise' of the show was the extent to which AJ Brown sounded EXACTLY like Bunny Rugs. Though Third World lacked some of the 'tightness' from the last time I saw them, there were times I swore I was hearing Bunny's voice in that arena.

But the best set for me, by far, was the one laid down later in the night by the festival's other REAL VOICE - Dezarie!!!!

Amen, AJ Brown did a fabulous job of filling in for our fallen brother, Bunny Rugs. I recorded the show and, if one didn't know, he could easily be mistaken for Bunny (whose voice is a majestic and tough one to fill). Excellent cover of Handworth Revolution by Tribal Seeds. Since I'm not from San Diego, it was my first time seeing them and I wish they'd played more of their own stuff...maybe next time. I LOVE Dezarie's voice, but it wasn't the best I've seen from her...not to put any blame on her...shorter set and poor acoustics in an oval dome...but her voice sounds better out in the open air (as does everyone's). Again, Bitty was the standout for me...what an excellent cover of Bread's "Make it with You". Great show except for the "angry yeller" mentioned above.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 11:37AM by jcom.
February 19, 2014 11:30AM
Did you get your camera in the door jcom?

Love that reggae!
February 19, 2014 12:00PM
nomotrouble
Did you get your camera in the door jcom?

NoMo, luckily I did. It was kind of tricky. Initially I was told I couldn't bring my backpack in, but I also had my big SLR case. The security guy finally told me I could talk to guest services and see what they could do. They allowed me to put my camcorder and other gear in my camera case and to check my backpack with them. I obviously don't have anywhere near the skills you do, but I was able to get some good vid and got audio on part of Tarrus, and all of Bitty, Horace, Tribal Seeds, Dezarie, and Midnite. I chilled during Don and Third World just because I've seen them both dozens of times.
February 19, 2014 12:47PM
Nice!

Love that reggae!
February 19, 2014 04:43PM
Mikey J.
Midnite 40min set...I wonder which two songs they played winking smiley

Highlarious
February 19, 2014 04:55PM
Here are the '2 songs' Midnite played on Monday:

He Is Jah
Pass It On
Mongst I and I
Love The Life You Live
Grapes Of Wrath
Merciless
Lion Out Of Zion
Due Reward

"Some see the soil, some see the dirt. Some see filthiness, some see creation and birth." ~ Vaughn Benjamin
February 19, 2014 05:14PM
All i want to know Daniel is when we are going to see Dezarie and Midnite up here.

Love that reggae!
February 19, 2014 10:35PM
Here's one persons write up about the show

No stranger to working live shows & festivals, Pier photographer David Norris has been covering live events for The Pier since 2009. In the 5 years he’s been a photographer for The Pier, Norris has developed fantastic networking relationships with some of Reggae’s most prestigious performers. Plus, Norris is the point of contact for The Pier in submitting live show requests to artists, for the rest of The Pier staff – He takes a lot of time out to make sure as many shows & festivals are promptly covered by members of The Pier across multiple states. So as Editor of The Pier, I found it shocking that for the first time in the 5 years of Norris covering events for The Pier, that he decided that the Tribute to the Reggae Legends Festival wasn’t worth his time, especially if it is being ran by Makeda Cheatom or her right hand, Jesse Graham.

For the 2014 Tribute to the Reggae Legends Festival, The Pier was invited out by Don Carlos and his manager, Jafada. Jafada, who was in Las Vegas during this event, put us in touch with his assistant, Fenton as our point of contact for the night. They have always been welcoming of The Pier in providing access to document their live performances. Unfortunately, The Pier wasn’t enabled with the pre-approved access to document this event, due to the disrespectful neglect from the festival promoters, Makeda Cheatom & her right hand, Jesse Graham.

This has nothing to do with any artist, band or the impressive lineup that included live performances from acts such as Don Carlos, Alborosie, Midnite, Tarrus Riley, Tribal Seeds & more. We even heard about Kyle McDonald from Slightly Stoopid jumping on stage with Alborosie & Don Carlos during their live sets. We have nothing to say with how the live show was – for all we know, it was the GREATEST show to rock the reggae world, but unfortunately, we weren’t granted our pre-approved access to document it.

The Pier has been declined access to shows & festivals in the past – that’s not the issue here. It becomes an issue when we find out from Don Carlos & their management, that they had passes waiting for us ahead of time & we get rejected upon arrival by the promoters. When Norris arrived to grab his passes, the promoters of the festival made him wait outside for more than 3 hours while blatantly ignoring him & preventing our pre-approved access. Norris arrived at 2:00pm & gave up more than 3 hours later, just before 5:30pm, and went home; remember, the festival started at 2:00pm.

In addition to that non-sense, Norris shared his frustration in line with radio contest-winners who were also waiting to get into the festival. Those fans had also been waiting for more than 3 hours outside to get in, even after the festival began. So I guess if you win tickets on the radio to this festival or if you’re a Reggae-Rock media outlet there to cover this festival, you get to win a 3+ hour wait in line for passes, 3 hours after the event started!

Here’s what David Norris had to say on his experience with trying to gain access:

After waiting in line for almost 2 hours, I decided to follow up with Fenton, Don Carlos’s manager on duty, for our approved access to cover the event. Fenton told me that the security backstage was acting like it was a jail! Fenton walked backstage to try and get our passes and had to walk back empty handed, conveying a message from the promoters that The Pier had to get in the regular, general admission line and find “the guy” by the pit-entrance to get our pass.

So I got in line, even though I knew what was going to happen. After a 25 minute wait in the main line, I get to the front & security wouldn’t let me through with my photography gear. From there, Fenton told me I should ask for Makeda Cheatom or Moss Jacobs, the festival promoters! When I tried to ask security, they told me they can’t call anyone and that I would have to reach them myself – That’s when I saw Jesse Graham, who is Makeda’s right hand!

Jesse Graham is a guy who doesn’t seem to like me at all. Any time he has to help me, he makes me wait when it’s not necessary & continues to treat me like pure crap. Whats frustrating, is I’ve known Jesse Graham since before working with The Pier and I’ve provided FREE photography services for him & Makeda at various reggae shows & festivals they put on in the past – Always the same story with this guy continuing to treat me like crap!

I didn’t want to ask Jesse at all, but I’d already been there for 2 hours at that point, so I tried anyway. Well, he repeatedly ignored me when I called out his name for assistance. Jesse then walked with someone else whom he had known, helping them get a pass, knowing I was there calling out his name. Anytime I’ve covered an event put on by Makeda & Jesse, this is how Jesse treats me and with no apology or explanation.

I tried again to get his attention, so he can talk to Makeda for me. He walked towards the gate where I was standing, and quickly got on his phone. So when he walked by me, I said, ‘Jesse can I please talk to you?’ His response back to me was, ‘Sorry I’m on the phone’, and kept walking past me. Directly after that, Jesse started talking to someone else while he was ‘on the phone’, continuing to blow me off. At that point, it had been more than 3 hours of my time being jerked around and I finally decided this wasn’t worth my time & I left.

Thank you Fenton, Jafada & Don Carlos for your efforts…

Pretty rough outing for David Norris trying to bring all of you fans some coverage & I’m sure we could all relate to his frustrations. Jafada told Norris following the event “Don Carlos had your passes and told the festival promoters when you’re here, to come get Don. They didn’t tell you that because they had some other journalist there. I would write about how they blew you off when Don Carlos had your passes & you were his guest.” Jafada went on to explain “They also did not give Kyle McDonald (of Slightly Stoopid) all access, only general tickets and he was coming to perform with Don Carlos. It was Alborosie who took Kyle backstage, to see Don.”

We’re use to Jesse Graham being an ass with that sense of entitlement that no one wants to be around, but we were still prepared to cover the event, excited to celebrate the music with positive coverage. Instead of writing a 1,000 words recapping some great performances complete with photos, David Norris spent the night outside the venue for more than 3 hours, being blown off by security & ignored by Jesse Graham, all while the event was taking place.

With all of the growing Reggae festivals that are taking place each year, it’s safe to say that The Pier will keep this one off our list, regardless of the line-up. As long as Jesse Graham is someone who gets to play ‘important’ by ignoring those there to help cover his event, we’ll pass! We would rather go fly kites in the middle of the desert. If anything, it really makes us appreciate events such as California Roots Festival. This is a festival & event that embodies more of that family community & environment, treating others with respect, rather than arrogance & self-entitlement.

We’re not saying fans should avoid this Festival like the plague and save their money for other events in the region & we’re not saying fans should avoid winning tickets via local Radio contests so they can wait more than 3 hours outside of the Festival. Nor are we saying this as a warning to other bands, publications, vendors or sponsors who may want to work with Makeda & Jesse on future events. We’re just trying to say that maybe Makeda Cheatom and Jesse Graham, should take a trip up to Monterey this May and shadow Dan Sheehan & Jeff Monser during Cali-Roots so they can take notes on how REAL promoters treat people who are there to proactively document their event. This may have been the 33rd Annual Tribute to the Reggae Legends festival, but you wouldn’t have known it if it wasn’t dispalyed all over the posters & flyers.

Thank God the Reggae community has Cali-Roots Fest…Is it May yet?

Article By: Mike Patti & David Norris
February 19, 2014 11:40PM
How was Horace Andy backed by Sly and Robbie?

February 20, 2014 07:12AM
Maybe Makeda had just recently watched Dr. Gates' special and was inspired to tell every one about the African presence in Mexico...

[www.pbs.org]

Joking aside, I remember her being in a public argument with Eliot from Trade Roots for him playing slackness on his radio show. Her side saying everything must be positive and Eliot's side remarking he was representing what Jamaicans actually listen to. I used to have that article but lost it...'96 I think?

Peace
February 20, 2014 08:13AM
Daniel
Here are the '2 songs' Midnite played on Monday:

He Is Jah
Pass It On
Mongst I and I
Love The Life You Live
Grapes Of Wrath
Merciless
Lion Out Of Zion
Due Reward

"Some see the soil, some see the dirt. Some see filthiness, some see creation and birth." ~ Vaughn Benjamin

Wickid Midnite set! If they only got 40 minutes those songs are about as good as it gets! Thanks for sharing Daniel!
February 20, 2014 08:29AM
As shitty as an experience as you had outside Tribute to the legends , it's shocking you would presume there aren't people having the exact same problems you are having at the Carnie- Roots fest you highly rate. Why you think the Carnie-roots fest is run any different is funny to me. You should have never been treated in this manner for an event you were accredited to work and had all access lined up and it is that obvious the promoters are total idiots. I'm glad for you you have a good interpersonal relationship with these REAL promoters at the Carnie-roots fest, just wanted to let you know these Demoters will be acting in the same manner . I'm sure there are people that have a great relationship with Makeda and Jesse as you apparently do with the REAL Demoters running the Carnie-roots fest, and those ones were treated well, probably on the phone with Jesse lining up things with their buddy last minute while your getting blown off. What I am saying is all these over inflated kooks are in the same boat and shood push off without paddles, or maybe just be a listener of the music.

With all of the growing Reggae festivals that are taking place each year, it’s safe to say that The Pier will keep this one off our list, regardless of the line-up. As long as Jesse Graham is someone who gets to play ‘important’ by ignoring those there to help cover his event, we’ll pass! We would rather go fly kites in the middle of the desert. If anything, it really makes us appreciate events such as California Roots Festival. This is a festival & event that embodies more of that family community & environment, treating others with respect, rather than arrogance & self-entitlement.

We’re not saying fans should avoid this Festival like the plague and save their money for other events in the region & we’re not saying fans should avoid winning tickets via local Radio contests so they can wait more than 3 hours outside of the Festival. Nor are we saying this as a warning to other bands, publications, vendors or sponsors who may want to work with Makeda & Jesse on future events. We’re just trying to say that maybe Makeda Cheatom and Jesse Graham, should take a trip up to Monterey this May and shadow Dan Sheehan & Jeff Monser during Cali-Roots so they can take notes on how REAL promoters treat people who are there to proactively document their event. This may have been the 33rd Annual Tribute to the Reggae Legends festival, but you wouldn’t have known it if it wasn’t dispalyed all over the posters & flyers.

Thank God the Reggae community has Cali-Roots Fest…Is it May yet?

Article By: Dan Sheehan
February 20, 2014 08:54AM
On a personal experience I can say the article pritty much sums up every time I have worked for Makada and Jessie. I seriously used to dread working with them.
February 20, 2014 09:09AM
All this makes me give thanks for what we do have, the most professionally run festival that treats those that help it exceedingly well......The SIERRA NEVADA WORLD MUSIC FESTIVAL . Don't minimize what a good job Warren and crew do. Everyone is respected.

Love that reggae!
February 20, 2014 12:09PM
Makeda is an angry, reverse racist individual and it doesn't surprise me to hear that her minion hasn't fallen far from the tree as far as being an add and looking down upon people. I can't stand those narcissistic types. Makeda was the only negative thing about the show with her ranting and yelling...vibe killer. The show itself was awesome. Guess I'm very lucky I was able to get my cameras and recording gear in. Wish the Pier folks had been treated with respect.
February 20, 2014 12:14PM
HI*FI
How was Horace Andy backed by Sly and Robbie?

Horace was great with the Riddim Twins...but Bitty Mclean stole the show with the Taxi Gang in my opinion. Everyone should be very excited to see this incredible talent, again with Sly & Robbie, at SNWMF this year. DON'T miss their set.
February 20, 2014 12:49PM
"Makeda is an angry, reverse racist individual"

jcom, this sounds dangerously close to calling her the stereotypical "angry black woman". Easy man!
February 20, 2014 12:58PM
J_72
"Makeda is an angry, reverse racist individual"

jcom, this sounds dangerously close to calling her the stereotypical "angry black woman". Easy man!

You said it, not me. I don't care if she's black, white, yellow, green, or plaid...she has a bad stage presence and needs to stay backstage at her shows instead of pretending to be an emcee. I was hanging with several African Americans at the show and they were saying the same thing. Read my other thread with her name in the title.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2014 01:04PM by jcom.
February 21, 2014 09:03AM
the term "reverse racism" is incredibly offensive... racism is racism regardless of whos hating who
reverse racism would be ultimate love of all races

Respect Same Way
February 21, 2014 10:03AM
tahoearmada
the term "reverse racism" is incredibly offensive... racism is racism regardless of whos hating who

thumbs up
February 21, 2014 12:32PM
JUNIOR FRANCIS JUNIOR FRANCIS JUNIOR FRANCIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
February 21, 2014 01:16PM
JUNIOR FRANCIS JUNIOR FRANCIS JUNIOR FRANCIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the best

Love that reggae!
February 21, 2014 01:41PM
tahoearmada

I don't agree. That would imply that the term "racism" is also offensive. I hear both terms on the likes of MSNBC, Huff Post, etc. on an almost daily basis. Let's not make this out to be more than it is. The dozen or so people, all of mixed and different races, that I was hanging with were all put off and offended by her rants and the tone of those rants. Call it what you will. I haven't a racist bone in my body. My tightest crew is made up of whites, latinos, blacks, asians, and mixed races....I don't give a F&%*. I just don't want to be made out to feel like I'm the bad person simply because I'm white (well, 1/8 Cherokee). That's how Makeda's rants made me feel and it has no place at a Reggae Festival. I can't be held responsible for what Europeans did 400 years ago (for that matter, many black Africans captured other blacks and sold them to the Europeans if you really want to get into it). I also don't want to be held responsible for how other races were or are treated in the last century or this one. I'm my own person and I don't deserved to be grouped in with those who are intolerant or disrespectful to those who are different than them. I treat everyone as equal and that's what needs to be promoted. Don Carlos is the epitome of what an artist, promoter, or emcee should be preaching to the masses at a festival.

Food for thought from SNWMF 2009: ..... I recalled Makeda being the one describing the Lions (from LA) as "White Boys playing Jah Music", but not with a loving, respecting tone...it was offensive to them and the crowd (by the way, the Lions killed it, I mean KILLED it at both of their performances that year). What if a white guy got up and said "How about those black boys playing some rock and roll"?...or what if someone said "How about those yellow people playing Jah music" (about Windy City last year)? So why is it okay for her to say s h i t like this??

So go ahead and try to flare it up and make me look bad. All I need to know is that in my heart, I'm a loving, caring soul and I treat others with respect and hope for the same respect in return. I'm 40 years old and my pops gave me my first reggae album when I was seven (no, not Legend) and I've loved and attended reggae and other music shows ever since....and as NoMo says...(I)"LOVE THAT REGGAE".

p.s. - here's The Pier's write up on the show: [www.thepier.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 01:50PM by jcom.
February 21, 2014 05:15PM
For REAL?
February 21, 2014 05:27PM
" What if a white guy got up and said "How about those black boys playing some rock and roll"?..."

I would say right on, because rock-n-roll was originally a majority black music.
February 21, 2014 05:50PM
J_72
" What if a white guy got up and said "How about those black boys playing some rock and roll"?..."

I would say right on, because rock-n-roll was originally a majority black music.

I wouldn't say "black boys" to begin with. Anyway, dead horse, spoke my mind. Nuff said....out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 05:52PM by jcom.
February 21, 2014 05:53PM
jcom
J_72

I wouldn't say "black boys" to begin with. Anyway, dead horse, spoke my mind. Nuff said....out.

Agreed. Just making reference to history.
February 21, 2014 07:19PM
Jeez people.... Really?

C'mon It's not a mystery what is "bad mind" and what is "One Love"....

Recognize and walk on.

Done.

One.
February 22, 2014 03:30AM
Basically that show sucked ass and I doubt I will return, but you never know. I do love reggae. Nevertheless there were some highlights for me. But first let me just say that I am grateful to even be able to see these artists and am happy to pay to support the scene.

Highlights
- Proteje - nice 3 song set and reaction to being cutoff by saying it was joke. I agree.
- Bitty - Loved his set and got to rap with him for 20 minutes in the VIP lounge. Very refreshing personality. Hope he gets a good time slot at Sierra and a good amount of time to showcase his talents.
- Horace Andy - Difficult set, but his voice sounded great. Can't wait to see him at Sierra again where it is sure to be great.
- Don Carlos - Again a difficult set to listen to but absolutely love Don and could see him over and over. He had great energy and I loved the white suit.
- Dezarie - Just awesome! Enough said!
- Alborosie - Killed it. His drummer is ridiculous! Seemed like they finally figured out the sound at that point although it was still super loud.
- The professionalism of the artists while dealing with the sound issues. They did their best and I am grateful.
- Earl Zero and backing band in the VIP lounge. Very nice performance in an intimate setting.
- The VIP lounge and viewing platform. It was nice to be able to escape to the lounge periodically, get off my feet, and sit on the couches they provided both inside the lounge and outside on the viewing platform. That concrete was rough on a big guys back. The screens in the VIP lounge were nice too because you could see when the next performer was coming on.

Lowlights
- Proteje's set being cut short. I was as shocked as him when the stage started rotating. Then as mentioned before Makeda goes into this ridiculous diatribe, partly because she is her I guess and partly because none of Tarrus' band seemed to have any sound when they rotated around so the sound guys on stage had to go to each player and get it figured out while signaling Makeda to keep talking. Frankly the VIP tix were worth the price for the wrong reasons....to escape bad sound and MCing.
- Makeda's diatribes/stage presence. Absolute buzzkill! If I had a bokkle.......cannot emphasize that enough. A good MC makes a HUGE difference for me. It sets the vibe.
- Makeda announcing Bitty as Horace Andy when the schedule clearly said Bitty first. You don't even know the order of your own fest??? I always feel like that's a disrespect to the artist. The MC should know his/her lines.
- The sound cutting out during Bitty's set, but Bitty took it in great stride when we rapped in the VIP area and he seemed genuinely happy to be there and have the chance to perform. Can't emphasize enough how cool he was.
- Horance Andy stopping his set and being visibly upset with the sound as he told them to correct it. At that point I was frustrated to the point of discomfort, but tried to make the best of it.
- The sound/acoustics in that place. Atroscious! Maybe it was my ears, but the sound was ridiculously bad IMO and I moved around a couple times to see if I could find a sweet spot. There were numerous times when the sound levels just seemed to go wacko suddenly on certain instruments and good songs suddenly became really hard to listen to. They battled feedback all show among other problems. That's not a dis on the sound man as I know he is a good dude and I don't know what variables he's dealing with. It was unfortunate.
- Not being able to hear most of what Sly & Robbie were trying to do on stage. Robbie's rig just didn't seem to vibe with the sound set up and everything sounded muddy. Couldn't really hear most of Sly's signature drumming style.
- The speakers clipping during some of Midnite's set. So loud that the bass drum was actually clipping and distorting.
-Tribal Seeds in between the Bitty/Horace/S&R and the Don Carlos/S&R set??? No offense but at least I got to plan my dinner time.
- The whole ambiance of that place from the overbearing security forces to vending. Random security guys walking up to people passing one around and telling them to put it out while letting the next group right next to them do the same thing and seeing it. Tough job I guess. I felt for those vendors. Redundant booths. Mediocre food choices. I almost feel like they would have been better off setting up a vending area just outside and adjacent to the arena so they all could be in one place. It was obviously not ideal. The crowd themselves were fine.

All this leads me to one conclusion.....GIVE THANKS FOR OUTDOOR FESTIVALS!!!!!!

Big up DJ Jacques, Cornerstone, and all other Sebtown and Sonoma County folks for keeping the vibe alive.
February 22, 2014 10:13AM
Welcome back fourtwentyplenty. Good review.
February 22, 2014 12:19PM
Good review 420plenty. Agreed on the sound...lots of distortion and feedback. We too were in the VIP and we were glad we dropped the extra bones. I agree it was odd that Tribal Seeds played between the Sly & Robbie backed sets and they played too many covers...would have rather more heard their own music. Their cover of Steel Pulse's Handsworth Revolution was, however, on point. I like Tribal Seeds.
February 22, 2014 03:16PM
Do we know who the sound company was?

Love that reggae!
February 23, 2014 11:07AM
jcom
Good review 420plenty. Agreed on the sound...lots of distortion and feedback. We too were in the VIP and we were glad we dropped the extra bones. I agree it was odd that Tribal Seeds played between the Sly & Robbie backed sets and they played too many covers...would have rather more heard their own music. Their cover of Steel Pulse's Handsworth Revolution was, however, on point. I like Tribal Seeds.

Just a guess, but perhaps the covers was Tribal Seeds' 'Tribute to the Legends'? Again, just a guefs as I am not in the know. I, like you JCOM, prefer to hear bands play their original material when playing live. That being said, I can think of a handful of covers that bands have performed over the years that ended up being great! Wish I could've made it down for the show. Thanks for posting the link, I've been scouring Youtube for uploads since Tuesday morning.
February 23, 2014 11:19AM
Thanks for the review 420 plenty, bummed to hear that the fest had some technical difficulties. While I agree with you regarding the 'ranting' of any MC, I hope you were joking and figured you were when you stated, "If I had a bokkle...cannot emphasize that enough". Wow, that's pretty brutal. I know it sucks to hear an MC go on and on, especially if the words being spoken bring the vibes down and shift toward the negative. But, throwing a bottle at someone just because you don't agree with their opinion is, well extreme and disturbing.

Anywho, I did enjoy reading your review and appreciate you sharing.
February 23, 2014 12:56PM
Mikey J.
jcom

Just a guess, but perhaps the covers was Tribal Seeds' 'Tribute to the Legends'? Again, just a guefs as I am not in the know. I, like you JCOM, prefer to hear bands play their original material when playing live. That being said, I can think of a handful of covers that bands have performed over the years that ended up being great! Wish I could've made it down for the show. Thanks for posting the link, I've been scouring Youtube for uploads since Tuesday morning.

I agree. However, the funny thing is that all of the "legends" they covered are still alive. Anyway, it was the first time I've seen them live and I'll be able to catch them in Salt Lake in April.
February 28, 2014 04:29PM
Nice 2 c u 420, as well as Scotty B and Linda, Daniel and everyone. Much love my reggae family. O.K. so I had an interesting experience to say the least. All in all though Bob Day is always a great time. Blessed to be there so I will try and refrain from complaining. After getting my passes a bit late I missed Piracy and Jah9. Luckily I got 2 c the latter play a full set the following night or I would have had to refrain from refraining. Protoje killed for about 4 seconds and looked a bit p.o.ed about the "rotation". He ended up leaving stage right against the grain of the premature spin. Dezarie was absolutely magical! Her voice resonates in your soul. Would have loved her to play "Gone Down. She was a highlight for sure. I guess I stand alone in that I really don't care for Bitty. Not bad just not my style. Horace was nice even through the technical difficulties. Sly & Robbie murdered the whole time. Tribal Seeds I have grown to like over the years, but this set simply had too many covers for my taste. 3 Steel Pulse songs really? Vampire is my favorite song of theirs to hear live and on that note they did not disappoint. Tight set all around. Midnite are a good band. Bass lines hit hard for like the first ten minutes of each song. They consistently are the best at being mediocre live. "I don't always listen to Midnite live, but when I do.....ZZZZZZZZZZ....ZZZZZZZZ." The most bored concert goer in the world" Third World were HISTORIC! Sounded like Bunny was there. Great set, vibes a plenty! All the hits lovingly received by the mass of fans. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. Top 2 sets for me along with Dezarie. I absolutely love Don Carlos, although having seen him so many times I wasn't overly excited to see him, but that quickly changed. Song wise, my favorite set ever from him! Backed by the riddim twins, he just came ruff on every tune. The suit was straight OG and he "dons" the persona to match. Absolutely killed it in every aspect of the performance imho! I was one of the original advocates for Alborosie on the this forum, and he is a very talented individual. His set at SNWMF was one for the ages, while this one left me a bit "meh". Fun set, good songs, tight band. The "Oscar the Grouch" vocals have warn on me just a bit though. As have the, at times, buffoonish stage antics. Using your dreads as a pretend machine gun is cool, just not for every song. He seems to love the stage and the spotlight and basks in it constantly. He put on a good show, but the luster has worn. I give thanks for so much great reggae music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2014 06:00PM by Danny Crucial.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login