Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Camping at ROTR for 2014...Make Reservations Now!

Posted by Rhythmwize 
Camping at ROTR for 2014...Make Reservations Now!
January 02, 2014 09:10AM
Anyone interested in camping at the State Campground for 2014 Reggae on the River, now is the time to make your reservations.

[www.reserveamerica.com]

I expect a big demand for these campsites so if you want this option you should reserve your sites now, you can always cancel for a small fee.

Based on last year, to avoid the dreaded shuttle system you must be camped at the venue on the river or within walking distance of the venue and be on the East Side of the 101 Highway.

The shortest walk to the venue from Richardsons Grove S.P. would be the campsites in the Oak Flats Section of the park, its about 1/2 mile hike to the back entrance to the venue, up and down a couple of steep hills I might add. If your camping at this park on the West side of the 101 you can walk under the highway to the Oaks Flat section and continue on to the venue on the back trail. Its just a much longer hike.

I've reserved campsites #161 and #163. If I was selecting another site in this area I would take #160, its flat, huge and under the full shade of a gigantic oak tree.
Re: Camping at ROTR for 2014...Make Reservations Now!
January 02, 2014 10:09AM
Site 160 is now taken. Thanks for the reminder! If you are going to ROTR and don't want to camp with the masses, this is the only workable alternative.

Love that reggae!
January 03, 2014 10:50AM
@Rhythmwize , anymore suggestion for the best camp site?

Thanks.
January 04, 2014 12:19PM
I would say of whats left probably #164 or #141. # 164 is pretty much wide open while #141 is kinda deep and more secluded so that might be your best bet. Not too many choices left in Oaks Flat Section, sites are going fast.
January 17, 2014 11:29AM
I just reserved site 156 at oak flat but just read (in another forum) that this particular site sucks due to excessive wind gusts and less shade. Do you know how bad that site is? Is it bad enough to make you not wanna camp there? Thanks in advance for any local knowledge you might have. I have never camped at oak flat before.
Thanks,
Aaron
January 17, 2014 04:05PM
Asonnenshine
I just reserved site 156 at oak flat but just read (in another forum) that this particular site sucks due to excessive wind gusts and less shade. Do you know how bad that site is? Is it bad enough to make you not wanna camp there? Thanks in advance for any local knowledge you might have. I have never camped at oak flat before.
Thanks,
Aaron

There are three sites in that area: 159, 158, and 156. They are located about 20 ft. above the road looking out into the river bed. I know #159 is without a doubt the worst site in Oak Flats. I saw some poor unsuspecting person take that site when there were many much better sites available but thats what happens when your not familiar with the campground and picking them at random. Site #159 is small, wide open, and exposed to any wind in the river bed...Can't recall exactly what 156 is like but I would assume its got many of the same shortcomings. I see 158 is the last site still available in Oaks Flat so beware if anyone is considering that site.

Its all gonna depend on the weather(wind), of course. I've camped in that general area for ten ROTR's and I recall at least a couple times during that time when the wind was bad enuff that you would not want to camp there, at least not in 159. Pretty much impractical. IF, there is little or no wind and you can make your own shade then you will be alright, but thats a big IF.

BTW, which forum did you read that 156 was bad?
January 17, 2014 06:09PM
Hey thanks for the info. I read that site 156 was bad on yelp reviews.
My preferred campground would be Richardson RV park but apparently you cannot cross the road anymore by foot (shuttle only). I read that you should avoid the shuttle because its slow and crowded. Which site do you think is better?
Thanks again bredren!
January 18, 2014 03:21PM
Asonnenshine
Hey thanks for the info. I read that site 156 was bad on yelp reviews.
My preferred campground would be Richardson RV park but apparently you cannot cross the road anymore by foot (shuttle only). I read that you should avoid the shuttle because its slow and crowded. Which site do you think is better?
Thanks again bredren!

You mean between the RV Park and the State Park?

I have never stayed at the RV park but I looked in one year and its the typical side by side commercial park and doesn't compare to the camping inside the State Park. The big advantage with the RV park was that it is right across the street from the venue. If you can't cross the highway then that eliminates the big advantage and you might as well be in the Madrone or Huckleberry sections on the west side of the Highway.

We stayed at Madrone one year and just walked down the highway, crossed and entered at the front gate but I dont think you can do that anymore. Perhaps you should check and call Mateel and see if they found a way to let people cross the highway for 2014, maybe its been already decided, maybe not. I met a couple last year who had no problem hiking all way from Madrone under the highway and thru Oak Flats to the back trail to the venue, but thats a long hike, probably well over a mile. I wouldnt want to do that, the hike from Oak Flats is about my limit.

How many people will be camping with you and how many cars?

Edit:

Exerpt from Yelp review:

DO NOT RESERVE SITES #156, 158 and 159! Had I read Erin S below's review first, I would've never reserved 159...I tell you, the hurricane level wind will tear your campsite apart. Forget cooking. It will rip your soul in half. It just might break your marriage. And being inside our tent was like, being on K2 (minus the freezing temp). The wind howled like the banshee all night. The weird thing is, if you walk 20 feet out of the site, there is no wind AT ALL. So, we ended up doing some of our cooking on the stove IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD outside our site.

Seriously though, the wind pretty much blew the tent next door at site 158, so they packed up in the middle of the night and LEFT THEIR SITE! I'm not kidding. My husband and I are experienced campers who have been camping mainly on the coast, meaning STRONG WIND BLOWN campgrounds, but even for us, this was ridick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 03:57PM by Rhythmwize.
January 18, 2014 08:48PM
Many thanks again for the info. I'm not sure how many yet, between 1-4 people and probably two cars. I'll try calling Mateel about the highway crossing, good idea.
February 02, 2014 09:05AM
Hey I emailed Mateel and they said the crosswalk will be reinstated this year. Yay! I'll be camping at the RV park this year. See u then!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login