Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wow...two UB40s..

Posted by akee123 
Wow...two UB40s..
January 18, 2014 04:25PM
It's easy to ridicule UB40, but true reggae fans can admit they have helped the reggae genre with their covers.

Interesting quote by band member in response to latest shananigans .........

"As we already know. Ali and astro are habitual liars who are trying to cheat their old mates, unfortunately, mickey has found himself caught up in it all.

The most recent lie is the one about "founder members".

Astro and mickey were NOT founder members. The original founder members were the 4 school mates. That's Ali, Brian, earl and myself. Then RBC came along once we started to make a noise that sounded vaguely like original music.

In those early days we had a different keyboard player, a chap called jimmy Lynn. Lynn was replaced by mickey about six months to a year after we started putting the band together. He got the job because he was the brother of mine and Ali's girlfriends (they were sisters). The band didn't really know mickey before that. Astro was a school mate of mickeys who used to hang around during rehearsals. When we started doing gigs astro would play the records before we went on. Then, because neither Ali or robin felt comfortable talking to the audience, astro would introduce songs and band members during solos. Eventually astro became a full member of the band.

Personally I don't think it really matters who was a founder member or who wasn't. The whole point of the bands democratic ethos was that, once the line-up was written in stone, EVERYONE was treated equally.

If Ali and astro want to make an issue out of who is a founder member and who isn't, it's worth pointing out that, of the FOUR founder members of the band, THREE of them are still with UB40.

What Ali wanted was to be payed MORe than anyone else. He threatened to leave the band if he didn't get what he wanted. The band told him to do what he has to do because there was no way he would be payed any more than the rest of the band. Famously, Ali's response was "I can earn 10 times more money without you c-nts". He left, and we never saw him again.

Astro made the same demands. Saying that, if he didn't get more money he wouldn't be touring with the band any more. This was a few days before a run of half a dozen shows. The band weren't very happy about being held to ransom, but we felt that maybe we could help astro with his financial problems. But he had to promise that he would be there to do the shows that had been booked. Astro took the money and we haven't seen him since.

It's a classic rock and roll, story. Egotistical lead vocalist tries to dump his old band mates or renegotiate contract so that he can take the lions share."
Re: Wow...two UB40s..
January 18, 2014 05:39PM
moses viewed the promised land
yet they say he never reached there
it was he who stood before the burning bushes
receiving the commandment to hand down to the nation
yet them yield to temptation
yet them worship fallen idol

let not yourselves be slicked my bredrin
dont get mix up
dont get carried away
there's a whole lot of road that lead down to jailhouse this day

BOOM LYRICS!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 05:41PM by bigvein.
January 19, 2014 08:17PM
Regardless of differing views on their music, one cannot deny the importance of UB40 in doing their part to spread the positivity of Reggae Music around the world. Not just in their Labour of Love tribute albums to the foundation artists they were raised on but also in their great live performances attended by millions across the globe. IThe majority of their music actually consists of hard hitting political/conscious lyrics that unfortunately the wild success of the covers have overshadowed. I do hope they'll one day get a slot at SNWMF. Think they might surprise the crowd in positive ways. Having seen them several times, their musicianship is incredible. If they do come, I really hope is is the current lineup which maintains all the elements of the original sound including their signature blazing horn section. This Ali, Astro & Mickey version is quite suspect on many levels.

Peace,
Bagga......
January 19, 2014 09:00PM
thumbs up

Baggariddim
Regardless of differing views on their music, one cannot deny the importance of UB40 in doing their part to spread the positivity of Reggae Music around the world. Not just in their Labour of Love tribute albums to the foundation artists they were raised on but also in their great live performances attended by millions across the globe. IThe majority of their music actually consists of hard hitting political/conscious lyrics that unfortunately the wild success of the covers have overshadowed. I do hope they'll one day get a slot at SNWMF. Think they might surprise the crowd in positive ways. Having seen them several times, their musicianship is incredible. If they do come, I really hope is is the current lineup which maintains all the elements of the original sound including their signature blazing horn section. This Ali, Astro & Mickey version is quite suspect on many levels.

Peace,
Bagga......
January 19, 2014 09:42PM
Yep.....underrated brass section.

Ironically their two last albums with Ali were two of their best

Baggariddim

Peace,
Bagga......
January 21, 2014 03:57AM
I never found the need to turn my nose up regarding UB40.
January 22, 2014 10:44PM
I'm not enough of a fan to wade into their interband politricks, but when I saw ex-lead singer Ali Campbell on a "big people show" in Florida with John Holt, U-Roy, Etana, Toots and Lady Saw the mostly Jamaican audience adored him.
January 22, 2014 10:55PM
UB40 Labour of Love tour was the first concert that I ever saw of any kind. Also they broke out Pato Banton with Hip Hop Lyrical Robot on Little Baggariddim. Nuttin but love from my corner. No interest in the internal politix tho.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
January 23, 2014 12:35PM
Sad story!
AJ
January 23, 2014 01:58PM
UB40 still finds their way to my CD player at least once a year, if not more.
The two times I've seen them (83' & 86') were both solid shows. They sounded great and irie vibes.
I give them ~ thumbs upthumbs up
January 26, 2014 06:26PM
January 27, 2014 08:01AM
UB40 - Present Arms is one of the rootsiest albums in my collection. Tons of brass. Saw them I. PARK City in '89 and they had a gigantic brass section. Top 10 of all time, maybe top 5...and I'm mor Le of a 60's - 70's classics guy. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
January 31, 2014 10:36PM
The double album "More UB40" is one of my favorites. It had some really haunting tunes like "King", "Tyler", and "The Earth Dies Screaming". Sorry to hear that some members' attitudes are spoiling what was once a great band.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login