Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Monty with Ranglin and Chronixx last night

Posted by Noah 
Monty with Ranglin and Chronixx last night
January 28, 2014 05:37AM
It was 60 years of reggae in person last night at the Blue Note jazz club in New York City, as Monty Alexander's Harlem-Kingston Express finished their run with special guests Ernest Ranglin and Chronixx. The Blue Note is a notoriously touristy venue so it was amusing to see the sold-out venue contain a mix of young Chronixx fans, older Jamaican jazz aficionados and random tourists who had no idea what they were getting into.

Monty started the night with his band which included Andy Bassford on guitar, Karl Wright on drums, upright bassist Hassan Shakur, Courtney Panton (percussion) and Earl Appleton (electric keyboards).

After a few tunes 81-year old Ranglin arrived and to my delight launched into a mento trio segment that featured just Ranglin, Alexander and Shakur. Drummer Desi Jones then arrived and joined the rest of the band for "Surfin'" and "My Boy Lollipop." This was a significant improvement over the show they both did at the same venue last winter, in which Alexander weirdly left the stage for Ranglin's entire segment despite their lengthy history of collaborations.

Ranglin, Alexander and Shakur then departed the stage, making way for Zinc Fence electric bassist Josh Flubz Jones and guitarist Stephen Coore (Cat's son) who helped back Chronixx for a mini-set of Chronixx's current hits. (The night before guitar parts were done by Nnamdi Robinson, Nambo's son.)

After doing about four numbers Chronixx explained he would finish with "Dread" via a Major Lazer remix on the Aribella riddim -- and then explained how Ranglin had originally done the guitar part (on "Surfin'"winking smiley.

At this point everyone came back on stage for "Dread" and the encore "Odd Ras". As we departed the first set there was a line around the block waiting to get into the late Sunday show.

Some photos and a review of the (slightly different) late Saturday show are here:

[www.largeup.com]
Re: Monty with Ranglin and Chronixx last night
January 28, 2014 05:21PM
Give Thanks, you scored
January 30, 2014 04:23AM
It was indeed a great presentation, and all four shows had a full-house. I am happy I was there as a part of history. Whoever came up with the idea to bill Chronixx with Ranglin and Alexander, scored BIG for the return of Roots Reggae to the Big Apple. As Chronixx himself posted on his Facebook page "This is the Reggae Revival"
January 30, 2014 11:07PM
I'd love to see this combo on the Village Stage, although they are all worthy of a spot on the Valley stage. Sunday afternoon would be perfect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login