Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ini Kamoze

Posted by YabbyYouFan 
Ini Kamoze
February 03, 2014 01:04AM
I'm wondering if Ini Kamozi will be added to the Sly and Robbie showcase this year? With Sly and Robbie already scheduled to play at multiple festivals this year, Ini Kamozi is an artist that one would think would be a perfect addition, but he's nowhere to be seen (but who knows what's the story there).

I think that this would be the perfect opportunity to bring Ini Kamozi to this years' festival, though, and here's why:

Last year, we saw Protoje perform (and he even mentions Kamozi in the song) "Kingston Be Wise", which takes a lot of Kamozi's "England Be Nice". We saw Damien Marley perform "Welcome To Jamrock", which takes the rhythm from Kamozi's "World A Reggae". Lately, Kamozi has gotten a lot of publicity from Protoje's big hit. So, again, this would appear to be the perfect time to bring him to this festival.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that somebody calls a taxi for me, and forwards Ini Kamozi! Seeing songs live like "World A Reggae", "Hail Mi Idren", etc., would be a dream come true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2014 09:09AM by YabbyYouFan.
Re: Ini Kamozi
February 03, 2014 05:40PM
I agree 100%. I hope SNWMF makes an effort to bring him this year.
February 03, 2014 05:43PM
This would be amazing.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
February 03, 2014 05:57PM
my favorite cut riffing some ini kamoze (and s&r): dark angel's "my burdens"!

seriously wicked 12".

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
February 03, 2014 07:12PM
big ups Tim! good call

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 04, 2014 01:20PM
I tried booking him for a show a while back and he wants lots of $$$$. More than the Marleys I believe. It would be nice to see him, but I highly doubt he would humble himself for this show.

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
February 09, 2014 01:20PM
Ras Danny
big ups Tim! good call

Big up Ras Danny! I hope all has been well with you!

I'm holding out hope, but after reading Danny Crucial's response, I probably shouldn't hold my breath as far as Ini Kamoze performing this year...
February 09, 2014 01:23PM
Danny Crucial
I tried booking him for a show a while back and he wants lots of $$$$. More than the Marleys I believe. It would be nice to see him, but I highly doubt he would humble himself for this show.

Ah, I see. That's sort of what I was worried about, I know that some artists want a lot of $$$$$. Whether that's holding him back from performing this year or other years, who knows. I just hope that he performs one year and this year would be the perfect year...
February 09, 2014 01:39PM
I do remember seeing Ini Kamoze along with Half Pint and Yellowman in a Sly & Robbie Showcase some years back. Not sure why Kamoze's price would've gone up so much, exc. maybe for the use of his tune in "Welcome to Jamrock".
February 13, 2014 08:07AM
He has one of the top selling "reggae songs" ever, Hotstepper, pry makes more on the royalties from that 1, than most legends make for their entire body of work. And yeah the "World a reggae" riddim blew up MADD! Still though 25 large?! the riddim wasn't the only thing that gwaan madd!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
February 13, 2014 12:16PM
Danny Crucial
He has one of the top selling "reggae songs" ever, Hotstepper, pry makes more on the royalties from that 1, than most legends make for their entire body of work. And yeah the "World a reggae" riddim blew up MADD! Still though 25 large?! the riddim wasn't the only thing that gwaan madd!

isnt the riddim owned by sly and robbie ? or is he paid on the use of the line 'out in the street.. '
February 13, 2014 01:08PM
bigvein
Danny Crucial

isnt the riddim owned by sly and robbie ? or is he paid on the use of the line 'out in the street.. '

I don't know about the business of that cut in particular but in general, when a sample is cleared there's 2 sets of rights. One is the sound-recording rights which goes to whoever owns the copyright of the master recording used (usually the record label). The other, the publishign rights, is based on who controls the authorship rights. So assuming (and again this is all assumption since I know nothing about the track's ownership) Sly & Robbie lthe label, they would get paid for that right. As the writers of the original song sampled - Ini, Sly Dunbar, and Robbie Shakespeare would be paid for those clearances as well.

Sample clearance is a really tricky business
Re: Ini Kamoze
February 15, 2014 09:23AM
I will perform his tunes for 10% of his asking price....that's a great deal for everyone! or at least comedic if nothing else
February 17, 2014 12:19PM
Belly dancing included?
February 17, 2014 12:41PM
I think a tenth is still outta there price range
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login