Buju gets famous lawyer

Posted by akee123 
Buju gets famous lawyer
February 18, 2014 07:28PM
[feedly.com]

Still not sure how Buju can explain away his actions
Re: Buju gets famous lawyer
February 19, 2014 06:49AM
I didn't know about the juror misconduct in his second trial. In light of that, I believe a mistrial should be declared. Buju still hasn't had his fair day in court.
February 20, 2014 12:14AM
Free buju
February 20, 2014 07:26AM
Again I have to come back to his own actions, whether the other dude was shady or not. He used a knife to check it out and taste it. don't agree with hard time for drug offenses, but if it was your average joe getting busted I doubt there would "Free Dan Down the Street" campaign.
February 20, 2014 12:15PM
FREE DAN!! From the Down the Street!!
February 20, 2014 06:21PM
Free up Gargamel and Dan from down the Street and seriously all political prisoners. Buju may have been a little enticed/entrapped and he may also need to account for his own actions/decisions but either way he deserves a fair trial and sounds like he definitely did not get one because of serious juror misconduct. My 2 Cents from Mass where I just caught Burning Spear still very much burning at an art museum in the New England hills.
February 20, 2014 07:19PM
Joshwa

thumbs up
February 20, 2014 08:53PM
Idris
...just caught Burning Spear still very much burning...
thumbs up

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 21, 2014 06:43AM
DJ Spleece
Joshwa

thumbs up

thumbs up
February 21, 2014 08:15AM
J_72
DJ Spleece
Joshwa

thumbs up

thumbs up

thumbs up
February 21, 2014 10:39AM
J_72
Again I have to come back to his own actions, whether the other dude was shady or not. He used a knife to check it out and taste it.

If I may add... it's simply puzzling to me that a fair amount of people that know/deal with Reggae are still giving Buju a break on his part in all of this mess.

Buju put himself in a position that Rasta [and Reggae music in general] is rather highly against, the cocaine @#$%&. And that doesn't ring an alarm of disloyalty to the music and what it stands for ?

I thought artists like Buju were supposed to be promoting songs/lifestyles similar to 'Move Out of Babylon' not 'Move With Babylon'.

And still some fans want to give him a pass? I don't get it.
February 21, 2014 10:54AM
reggaefan
J_72
Again I have to come back to his own actions, whether the other dude was shady or not. He used a knife to check it out and taste it.

If I may add... it's simply puzzling to me that a fair amount of people that know/deal with Reggae are still giving Buju a break on his part in all of this mess.

Buju put himself in a position that Rasta [and Reggae music in general] is rather highly against, the cocaine @#$%&. And that doesn't ring an alarm of disloyalty to the music and what it stands for ?

I thought artists like Buju were supposed to be promoting songs/lifestyles similar to 'Move Out of Babylon' not 'Move With Babylon'.

And still some fans want to give him a pass? I don't get it.

Thank you!

I just don't understand it either.... And he didn't get a fair trial? Really? He is guilty and should be in prison. End of topic.
February 22, 2014 06:53AM
I agree do the crime do the time but does it not bother you that the US gov is spending time and money sending people on missions to try to involve Reggae musicians in fake drug deals so they can then throw them in jail for years at a time or that at least one activist juror totally boke protocol and procedure by researching the case online during the trial and basically making up her mind based on her research rather than the facts presented as is required for a fair trial. Do you also miss the subtext of the history of unfair trials for African descended folks in this country or the injustice of the disproportionate number of young African Americans currently inhabiting our prison system in extremely high levels in a largely for profit prison industrial complex. Fact is justice is not doled out equally in Amerika and I don't hear of many European musicians getting enticed by fake drug deals and come on this has mistrial written all over it. Nah side with informers and corrupt system I say.
February 22, 2014 07:38AM
Idris, everything you said was true and led to Buju being targeted instead of the hundreds of rockers of all races that everyone knows buy and sell and use blow. But none of that would have prevented Buju, when asked if he wanted to go inspect a kilo of blow in that warehouse, from simply saying no. We don't live in a fair world, but most of us recognize that there are things we can do to stay a little further away from the unfairness. I think it was probably while investigating his 'anti gay' problem that they discovered he used cocaine and decided to target him for that. Thats what our runaway non justice system does. Once they have their eye on you, they will try and get you for whatever they can.

Love that reggae!
February 22, 2014 08:01AM
Rot in jail Buju!!!! Anybody that supports the hypocrite is a blind misguided FOOL. The man has songs that preach against cocaine and preaches Rasta livity, yet he wants to play bad man gangster and be a big coke dealer. "But Buju was framed". No he wasnt, he freely and of his own will walked into a warehouse to take part in a LARGE cocaine deal ( not a few grams or even ounces, this was pounds of cocaine) I still fail to see how he was set up and entrapped. The dirty parasite hypocrite is getting exactly what he deserves for hiding behind rasta ritcheousness, while commiting the same type of atrocities he sings about....LET HIM ROT and distribute his wealth and money that he made preaching Rasta livity, among the Rasta culture that he preyed on and benefited from..
February 22, 2014 12:15PM
Ok then! Tell me how you really feel. lol, man. I'm from Mass the jaded sarcastic state, you r out in Cali aka the blessed coast probably the chillest spot in the country and I'm the one thats telling you to chill out. I am hesitant to engage in dialogue with someone after being called a blind misguided fool because it usually does not go well/is not real fun but I enjoy keeping up with this forum and I have hope that an intelligent exchange of ideas is possible even if we completely disagree. If I am in fact a blind misguided fool for supporting Buju than I am in good company with Stephen Marley, Jr.Gong Marley and many others. As I said Buju obviously made his own bed to a degree and now he has to sleep in it but that does not mean that I/We have to be ok with entrapment, juror misconduct, targeting certain segments of the population, etc. I also think this idea of good rasta reggae artist and bad rasta reggae artist is kind of a false paradigm and ignores the realities on the ground of various neighborhoods/communities that many rasta/reggae artists live in/come from. I think it is a lot more nuanced with a lot of grey area than people might realize from afar. Many reggae/rasta artists ride the edge between rasta livity and gangsta leanings. Check the Stephen Marley/Damien Marley/Spragga Benz video/song Bongo Nyah to check a nice tune and projection of this vibe. Bongo Nyah meaning Rasta Gangsta.
February 22, 2014 01:34PM
Idris
Ok then! Tell me how you really feel. lol, man. I'm from Mass the jaded sarcastic state, you r out in Cali aka the blessed coast probably the chillest spot in the country and I'm the one thats telling you to chill out. I am hesitant to engage in dialogue with someone after being called a blind misguided fool because it usually does not go well/is not real fun but I enjoy keeping up with this forum and I have hope that an intelligent exchange of ideas is possible even if we completely disagree. If I am in fact a blind misguided fool for supporting Buju than I am in good company with Stephen Marley, Jr.Gong Marley and many others. As I said Buju obviously made his own bed to a degree and now he has to sleep in it but that does not mean that I/We have to be ok with entrapment, juror misconduct, targeting certain segments of the population, etc. I also think this idea of good rasta reggae artist and bad rasta reggae artist is kind of a false paradigm and ignores the realities on the ground of various neighborhoods/communities that many rasta/reggae artists live in/come from. I think it is a lot more nuanced with a lot of grey area than people might realize from afar. Many reggae/rasta artists ride the edge between rasta livity and gangsta leanings. Check the Stephen Marley/Damien Marley/Spragga Benz video/song BIyongo Nyah to check a nice tune and projection of this vibe. Bongo Nyah meaning Rasta Gangsta.
If your not in a warehouse full of Cocaine, there is NO WAY that you can be entrapt, pure an simple. Am I ok with entrapment and targeting? Honestly I dont lose sleep over it. There was a time in my life when targeting, entrapment, and evidence planting affected me, when I changed my life and the company I kept it no longer affected me. Furthermore, the Marleys in no way speak for or represent the Rasta communities, and nuff Rasta frown upon the younger Marleys for their capitalist ways.

Plain and simple Buju is a criminal, a hypocrite. Not to mention his dealings in blood diamonds. Yup cocaine and blood diamonds. Buju is far from a victim, if you give him a pass you must give all other dealers in cocaine and blood diamonds a pass.
February 22, 2014 02:39PM
I was not suggesting that Stephen and Damien Marley speak for all Rasta, my point was in response to your idealistic vision of a Rasta/Reggae musician that never gets mixed up in/or has any association(s) with badness and your contention that anyone who supports Buju is a blind misguided fool. I don't think Damien and Stephen amongst many others meet your somewhat naive ideal for a Rasta/Reggae musician nor do I think they are blind misguided fools. I fully concede your points, they are well made and well taken. Blood diamonds and large scale coke are not defendable and Buju does not deserve a lot of sympathy for so stupidly screwing himself and mixing up in such bleeped up dealings. My point was simply about some of the other aspects at play and some of the layers of the onion besides just Buju is terrible vs. Free Buju. Also in terms of the warehouse the entrapment happened long before on an international flight in which a gov paid informant engaged Buju in talk of moving product/making big money and roped him into the fake deal(and received a deal on his own drug dealing charges for his handywork).I was not so much asking if you are bothered by entrapment in your personal life as much as bothered by the disproportionate entrapment of African Americans and people of color and large scale targeting and the process/reasons behind Buju's entrapment.
February 22, 2014 04:17PM
Weasel dust & DEA camera caught Mr. Myrie displaying greedy puppy ethics. Wish it hadn't been so, but there it is.
February 22, 2014 04:18PM
And if The Famous Lawyer can somehow get him out of stir, expect not to see him perform again on the US stage.
February 22, 2014 04:33PM
Well put truth Papa Ray. Sometimes the truth hurts.
February 22, 2014 04:41PM
Idris
Well put truth Papa Ray. Sometimes the truth hurts.

And a bitter up of tea for we to see the big neck DEA take one of the most absolute spell-binding performers in their web. EVERY show I've seen by him has been Aces. I recall one year(I know I've said this before here) saying to people blown away by Wycliffe Jean's latest post-Fugees solo release 'if you think this is the hottest artist from the Caribbean you really need to hear Buju Banton.'
February 25, 2014 08:05PM
weasel dust? I honestly have never heard that term before.....but will use it frequently moving forward

I just say no to snow, unless you're buyin!,<sarcasm> i swear! unless you have some? if not then I dont do that stuff...but seriously you holdin?

eye popping smiley

Buju got greedy....
February 26, 2014 11:09PM
Free buju
February 27, 2014 09:09AM
Where there' s smoke there's fire!!!! While I have sympathy for Buju; one cannot expect (or should he) to be freed. Come on!!!! Seriously!!!!! He is captured on video sampling the "devil's dandruff". So he said he went to the warehouse to look at a boat (WTF??????) A boatload of cocaine????? HA HA HA . Sorry Gargamel; you made your bed -now you have to sleep in it!!!!!! Way too many Rasta Imposters sneaking away to lick the glass pipe and chat and boast about how Rasta they are!!!!! (At least Gregory never hid it from anyone!!!!)
February 27, 2014 10:32AM
many folks here missing the forest for the trees... picking the easy and harmless 'target', buju.

when you check the situation(s), and start calling out the bigger forces at the controls, then talk to us.

until then, ease off buju and free all people caught up in circumstantial, victim-less "crimes"

respect all bredrin still..
February 27, 2014 11:25AM
How is purchasing and supplying large amounts of cocaine to be distributed a "victim-less crime"? I seriously doubt Buju was purchasing that large of an amount for his personal habit/use.

Peace
February 27, 2014 12:09PM
J_72
How is purchasing and supplying large amounts of cocaine to be distributed a "victim-less crime"? I seriously doubt Buju was purchasing that large of an amount for his personal habit/use.

Peace

check the levels..

[en.wikipedia.org]
March 06, 2014 09:11AM
He might have sung anti-cocaine lyrics, but we all know these artist don't live every word of every song.. maybe he did have a habit.. at least he doesn't have pro cocaine lyrics .. its like chronic and kelissa said in a interview I saw.. the lyrics are used more as a guideline to how they want to live and the right way to live.. not necessarily the way that they do live... most importantly its about the youths .. and would have a much different feeling on the thing if he sung about doing blow off some pum pum
March 12, 2014 08:39AM
Apply as needed

[m.theatlantic.com]
March 12, 2014 08:51AM
a sad and tragic story.....but it has nothing to do with Buju getting caught with his hand in the coke jar.
March 12, 2014 01:32PM
mulligan
a sad and tragic story.....but it has nothing to do with Buju getting caught with his hand in the coke jar.

my point is.. i would wager that the initial casual observers of the linked story also proclaimed 'off with his head!!'
many probably justifying their conclusions based on prosecution witnesses and other evidence.. not knowing that the prosecution relied heavily on sketchy witnesses, tampered/trumped evidence, and highly slanted jurors.

the same can be said in the buju case.. i think we will find that things are not as they seem to be.. hypocritical lyrics are one thing and maybe buju had not so righteous associations.. but taking another's freedom by presenting a not-so-honest case is just not right.. its as if many here get off on seeing folks sent up... seeing a next fall from grace..

the case wasnt based on 100% on the up-n-up evidence, witnesses, or jurors. set the man free already.. and many others like him..
March 12, 2014 02:52PM
I think bigvein has hit the nail on the head several times. The more I read/learn about Buju's case the sketchier it seems. The other two guys that got caught up in the sting have already been released from jail as they received much reduced sentences for both agreeing to testify against Buju and oh by the way they were the ones with the gun and the 100,000 something $ in the trunk of the car that actually tried to do the drug deal for real while Buju was at home. sketchy and not right. for those that just want to condemn Buju,-do your homework!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login