Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Festival MCs

Posted by mulligan 
Festival MCs
February 24, 2014 06:12PM
Finally - others come around to my feelings about makeda as a festival mc. I have only seen her at
SNWMF and that is enough...she has an extremely screechy and irritating voice and her rants rival
Doug Greens for irrelevancy.

Its not too early to find a replacement for her this year......
Re: Festival MCs
February 24, 2014 09:05PM
Eazy with the Doug Green disses. He always brought good vibes and some good far out cosmic poetry/perspectives. Besides he was well loved and respected and somewhat recently trod on to Zion.
February 24, 2014 10:10PM
"far-out cosmic poetry/perspectives" at reggae festival = irrelevant
ODB
February 24, 2014 10:51PM
My family has always enjoyed Dougs comments as an mc. Never understood any negativity that others expressed towards his mc duties. Kinda always dismissed it as lack of maturity for those who choose to dismiss anything that which they cannot understand. Its a world music festival and most come for world views therefore dismissing others poetry and perspective as "ranting"seems to be very American, which i guess is also always welcome in the name of freedom right.
I hope the festival finds a suitable replacement. And i would have to say as a long time San Diego resident, that would not be Makeda Dread. I will hold the negativity and just say after hundreds of encounters with Ms. Makeda she is not worthy of SNWMF. Was kinda shocked they let her have a mic a few years back. Hope it doesnt happen again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2014 10:52PM by ODB.
February 24, 2014 10:56PM
Stage Time should be earned
February 24, 2014 11:46PM
SNWMF has some great far out cosmic poetry/perspectives all over website, festival program, etc that is quite relevant when it comes to sharing music communally and how that connects us to each other and the greater universe.
February 24, 2014 11:50PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 12:39AM by J_72.
February 25, 2014 01:18AM
No offense to anyone but the only MC's I'd like to see are JR Francis, Rocky, and Irie Dole. One thing a lot MC don't realize is I want to hear the DJ not them speak or should I say ramble on about nothing. Even worse when Makada yells at you telling you to THINK ABOUT IT. Shut up and let the tunes play. Get the last band off stage, say a few words and get the hell off stage.
Also big ups to Spliff Skankin, he can MC too.
February 25, 2014 02:19AM
I said "nuff said" on another post, but I'm glad to see that others share my thoughts about Makeda. Give her a General Admission pass and keep her as far away from the stage and mic as possible. Total vibe killer...she wants to make race the front and center topic at a festival where colorblindness is what people want. Fool me once and I had a bad taste in my mouth (SNWMF 2009...actually, I wasn't fooled...my one "talent", if you will, is that I bat about 95% on first impressions... and I wasn't wrong with her)...fool me twice (Tribute to the Legends 2014) and shame on her and her negative, hating, yelling, dictating attitude.
February 25, 2014 02:28AM
So if a band was singing about black pride and history that would ruin your colorblind festival?
February 25, 2014 03:41AM
Diesel
No offense to anyone but the only MC's I'd like to see are JR Francis, Rocky, and Irie Dole. One thing a lot MC don't realize is I want to hear the DJ not them speak or should I say ramble on about nothing. Even worse when Makada yells at you telling you to THINK ABOUT IT. Shut up and let the tunes play. Get the last band off stage, say a few words and get the hell off stage.
Also big ups to Spliff Skankin, he can MC too.

COSIGN
JR Francis, Rocky "The message is in the music and the music is in the message" Bailey, Irie Dole & Spliff Skankin
February 25, 2014 03:41AM
although I'd be happy to fill in too smiling smiley
February 25, 2014 04:37AM
JR Francis, Rocky "The message is in the music and the music is in the message" Bailey, Irie Dole & Spliff Skankin. All top quality mc's. And Jacques! Maybe this is DJ Jacques' year!

Love that reggae!
February 25, 2014 05:08AM
Cosign the local DJ talent.... All O dem. WBLK, KOK, MLHF, Comanche, Broken Silence... Bring the locals out and give 'em some stage shine... Might not sell a grip of tix but will def pull a grip of fans to see their fav DJ's pull 15min of fame...

My opinion...

And as mentioned above these folks have put in their time, made their bones, and earned their stage time... IMHO

Nuff said.
February 25, 2014 08:26AM
I really don't worry much about the MCs, but I agree with Diesel, that it is really annoying when one of them decides to give us a lecture and that Spliff Skankin' is about the best.
If an MC starts to go on an annoying tirade, well that's the time that I go look for a snack or a beer or check out what the vendors have to offer.
February 25, 2014 04:19PM
who actually pays attention to the MC's???
February 25, 2014 04:48PM
rossta8888
who actually pays attention to the MC's???

I don't want to pay attention to them I want to hear the DJ. Who heard Jah Warrior Shelters Chronix medley of dub plates last year. That was epic. Killed it. Kept the vibe going til the next act. That's what I want to hear. Big tunes, Big Speeches, and Big dubs..
A good MC and DJ make a show. They keep the boaring time interesting.
The only good thing about a bad MC is the merch booths and beer stand get more Bussiness. Lol
February 25, 2014 05:26PM
I totally agree dub plates deserve to breath/be heard. JWS always has a sick dub plate run at the fest, that is a set that is great to hear and builds the vibes in a big way. My memory last yr was JWS running Dj and Mc duties building into the great Ghetto Youths/Marley set inna fine style
February 25, 2014 06:54PM
I agree- Spliff Skankin' has a smooth, relaxing voice. Rocky is great too.
February 25, 2014 09:44PM
J_72
So if a band was singing about black pride and history that would ruin your colorblind festival?

Nope....cause they wouldn't be yelling at me trying to make me feel bad about something I never took part in or practice in my daily life...I'd be swayin to da riddims. Enough of the beef already...you know what I'm talkin about...quit trying to defend her.
February 26, 2014 01:36AM
I understand. No beef, not defending her. Peace man.

Jeff
February 26, 2014 01:43AM
Jcom, shot you a message.
February 27, 2014 07:13AM
I will do it, don't worry...everything will be alright
February 27, 2014 03:15PM
One of the many highlights of Rebel Salute was getting to see Mutabaraka MC. Besides being sharp he's *funny*. As far as US MCs go I've never seen one that can compare to Jr. Francis. I have friends in LA who will go to his vintage ska promotions with very little knowledge of the artists but they know Jr will be entertaining and enthusiastic.
February 28, 2014 05:32AM
Christopher
Cosign the local DJ talent.... All O dem. WBLK, KOK, MLHF, Comanche, Broken Silence... Bring the locals out and give 'em some stage shine... Might not sell a grip of tix but will def pull a grip of fans to see their fav DJ's pull 15min of fame...

My opinion...

And as mentioned above these folks have put in their time, made their bones, and earned their stage time... IMHO

Nuff said.

Forward the local talent of the above, JWS w/ MC Irie Dole, GTS ....and Junior Francis. These guys keep the crowd hyped, the artists hyped and the show rolling...

BigUps to the festy MC's and DJ's...nuff respect!
February 28, 2014 10:12AM
What's up SNWMF fans, friends and family! My name is Owen and/or Otis Otes and I am the MC of the California Roots Music & Arts Festival. This May 2014, will be the 5th Annual and we're expecting to have 17,000 attendees!! Wow!

It sounds like some people are starting to grow restless with some of the MCs who have been around SNWMF for years and years. This is understandable and I agree that some of them do not really click with the crowd anymore and are pushing fans away at times. I believe that some of the greats like Rocky Bailey, who is a friend of mine and a legend, should stay involved. However, I also believe that it might be a good idea to bring some new faces into the festival Circuit. New faces and voices along with some of the familiar and comfortable ones could make a great combination. I am a firm believer of conveying the message of the festival, shouting out sponsors and promoters and just Announcing the Bands!! Keep it simple!!

With that being said, Hopefully I will see y'all from the stage this year for a few appearances and introductions. (I have worked with some of the greats from Steel Pulse, Israel Vibration, Barrington Levy all across the board to Katchafire, Slightly Stoopid, Rebelution and many more).. No matter what happens, lets all try to stay positive and remember that either way we are here for the MUSIC and are in this together and we are on the same team....the Team of Life!!!
March 01, 2014 01:19AM
Junor Francis is THE man!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
March 01, 2014 04:49PM
JUNIOR FRANCIS, amen

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
March 03, 2014 02:37PM
My all time favorite Festival MC is Rocky Bailey. I like how he brings the humble, respectful rasta vibes to the mic, and always gets us in the crowd excited for the next artist. There are some other great MC's too, one is Spliff Skankin, and a few I cannot remember the names of.

I hope Rocky Bailey is at SNWMF this year!
AJ
March 06, 2014 03:29PM
Let us not forget the man from St.Louis mc/dj Papa Ray.
l've always enjoyed Papa Ray brining on such artists as U Roy, The Itals, Johnny Osbourne & Don Carlos. He does have a long history with U Roy & The Itals, so he is perfect for the job. I'm sure he will be bringing on U Roy again this year and I hope John Holt.
Also really enjoyed his vinyl spin at the Village Stage a few years back and would like to see that again.
See ya in June Papa Ray........................
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login