Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT: NFL and racist words

Posted by akee123 
OT: NFL and racist words
February 25, 2014 10:21PM
With the NFL talking about banning racist terms like the "N word," it made me wonder how this term became more prevalent in rap and not in reggae? I don't know much about the history of this term and it's use in the island communities.
Re: OT: NFL and racist words
February 26, 2014 02:32AM
Different connotations...the best I can describe in Jamaica is more like a cretin, or worthless individual. You'll hear the term "neega man" in reggae tunes sometimes, like Stanley Beckford's "Kisiloo". It's not a racist term in the Caribbean like in the US, except where it's meaning has been imported (like everything else from the USA to the world).
February 27, 2014 07:06PM
for the most part, i hang around cruzans, thomians, and lucians. mainly due to my son's mother being from st thomas.. in any case, you dont hear the 'N' word being thrown about.. not even among the 20 somethings..

not sure how that applies to jamaicans .. the cruzans that i talk to have a belief that they were not controllable.. so they were dropped off first.. that ancestral pride is so strong that to demean themselves in that way would dishonor those who died in that struggle.
February 27, 2014 07:14PM
different historical experience.... and time and place. Listen to Q Tip "Sucka Nigga" to get some history in the rise of the use in the term and it's multiple meanings.
February 28, 2014 11:32PM
Jacob Miller "Tenament Yard" has the term in a verse. Obviously though, reggae music is more respectful. Entirely different than rap. The N word isn't really rampantly used in any genre other than rap. Thankfully! smiling smiley

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
March 01, 2014 12:29AM
Um yeah BIG YOUTH came the other year on SNWMF Valley stage with "EVERY NIGGER IS A STAR"........
and I thought it was out of place for the mostly white SNWMF.
So if you take issue to the heart then why did we not hear about BIG YOUTH WORDS on that day??????!!!!!??????
March 08, 2014 02:43AM
strikkly
Um yeah BIG YOUTH came the other year on SNWMF Valley stage with "EVERY NIGGER IS A STAR"........
and I thought it was out of place for the mostly white SNWMF.
So if you take issue to the heart then why did we not hear about BIG YOUTH WORDS on that day??????!!!!!??????

I believe you are missing out on the point of the tune.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login