Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chronixx is San Diego mid June...

Posted by Diesel 
Chronixx is San Diego mid June...
February 27, 2014 07:31PM
I see he is playing at the World Beat Center as a Special Guest with Luciano on June 12th. Maybe he can make it up to Sierra Nevada.
Re: Chronixx is San Diego mid June...
February 27, 2014 07:59PM
That would make my summer!
February 27, 2014 08:25PM
Yes please!!!thumbs up
February 28, 2014 05:36AM
Seems like a no-brainer to me. SNWMF is still short a couple acts...
February 28, 2014 09:24PM
no thanks. he's all hype anyways... if we're gonna have one of these youngsters play it should be Kabaka Pyramid...

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
February 28, 2014 10:10PM
Lol....good one HG. I really needed that laugh today. Guess you should have sprung for that ROTR ticket last year. Then you would know spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 28, 2014 10:13PM
I believe he wouldn't be making quality music if he was just hype.. Not too many songs from chronixx I don't care for..
February 28, 2014 10:32PM
iriebarto
I believe he wouldn't be making quality music if he was just hype.. Not too many songs from chronixx I don't care for..[/quote

I was just thinking the same thing driving to work and listening to a Chronixx mix I have.I personally think of a song I do not like but does he even have any full length albums?

I would love to see Kabaka for sure smileys with beer
February 28, 2014 10:36PM
No albums as of yet, but I thought I heard there is one in the works... Yes he's still new but coming In with a blazing start.. Don't really see the quality slowing down either
February 28, 2014 11:00PM
spliffP, i saw the vids from ROTR last year.... his stage presence and general attitude made him seemed bored in general. not much energy coming from him from what i saw.... i know live can put off a different energy that can't be captured on video, but i have seen many a nomo video where you feel like you were there and can feel the energy in the performance. to me, he's just too soft and there is too much hype surrounding him.... there may not be many songs of his you dislike, but are there any of his songs that are just super effin' good? like gonna be a classic good?! if there is i havn't heard it yet.... please direct me to one of these killer songs if you have a recommendation.

don't get me wrong, if he shows up at the fest i will check him... but i'm not gonna be lobbying for him to get booked.

February 28, 2014 11:23PM
chronixx is for the kids just like rebelution. that said attracting the youth to the festival, and reggae scene, is what matters, if it brings more youth, would love to have chronixx there just so the kids that come can witness the true roots of reggae music from some real legends, u-roy, sly & robbie, mykal, john holt, tamlins, horace, yah mon!
March 01, 2014 01:48AM
Fair enough HG, maybe he just isn't your style...I rate almost all his works compared to most other modern artists. Not sure about classics yet as he is pretty new to the game. I don't think I need to direct you to his killer songs, you have a great knowledge of reggae music and I'm sure have cked them already.

Duffin, comparing him to Rebelution is a joke thing yo.
March 01, 2014 04:37AM
Only time will tell...

Respect Same Way
March 01, 2014 05:53PM
Wow, HiGrade, I couldn't disagree more. I think he's one of the best new artists out there. All hype? You're trippin. I was at ROTR and I thought his energy was good, he was definitely feeling the vibe. He's still young and does need to work on stage presence a bit. To me, "Selassie Souljahz" and "Here comes trouble" are BIG BIG tunes! 2 of my favorite songs from the last couple years, very catchy hooks! I'm really not sure where you're coming from with your comments...
March 02, 2014 01:01AM
Chronix at rotr sent shivers down my spine that I still get!! Thats coming from a 100% roots fan! "donttt cuttt off your dreadd lockss youthhmannn!!!"" Boom!

Chronixx- Alpha and Omega- I play this track right alongside any 70s roots selections!

peace and blessings to all!
March 02, 2014 04:57AM
Chronixx seems like quite a humble youth, with a father in the business, and many including his artist manager to attempt to show him the pratfalls of music business and give guidance. Doesn't seem like someone into any hype creating or needing to be someone besides himself on stage. Everyone gains stage presence with experience. Like romaine Virgos first SN appearance versus this tour with protoje. Chronixx is a young man and I heard him say in interview he was making music and trying to get artist to voice his tracks, his bredren told him " you can sing as good as these other people " and then you don't have to rely on others to voice you can just do your thing. In the same interview Chronixx said he records certain types of tunes when he's under that vibe. Will record 5-10 love tunes, 5 - 10 herb tunes, militant drum beat tune, one drop, reality tune. Says he has tunes stockpiled for days, we are probably on slow release.
Chronixx is well versed in music and music business. I don't think he will over saturate with multiple CDs at once , or quickly back to back. Just leave you wanting more .unfortunately I missed seeing him last year.
March 02, 2014 07:23PM
HiGrade- I want to apologize for jumping on you for your comments. They were just very surprising to me, as I think Chronixx is a rising star. You're pretty much the only person I know who doesn't like him. At ROTR last year, my entire crew were raving about him, and we are all old-school reggae vets. I do agree that he is a bit overly-hyped, and definitely isn't some kind of "savior" of reggae or anything, but he has a great voice and I rate most tunes from him very highly.

Th whole "Reggae Revival" thing perplexes me. Did reggae need to be "saved"? Yes it may have been at a low point, but it's been there before, and always manages to surrvive. To me, the biggest "Regae Revival" was in the mid-90's with the emergence of Luciano, Sizzla, Capleton, Anthony B., etc. At that point, groups like Burning Spear and I-Vibes were carrying the torch for roots reggae, but the newer stuff was more digi-dancehall like Shabba or cross-over like Shaggy. Then the Bobo Ashanti artists like Sizzla, Anthony B., and Jah Mason asserted themselves and brought fresh new voices and styles to the genre, and also perfected the "sing-jay" style. Along with producers like Fattis Burrell, who took traditional riddims and slightly re-worked them and sped them up a bit, these artists updated the sound for modern ears and ushered reggae in to the 21st century. I feel that period of reggae had a much bigger impact on the genre (and still do) than this current group labelled as the Reggae Revival. And I'm not knocking Protoje, Chronixx, etc., they're great artists, but agree there may be a bit too much hype surrounding them. Anyway, just thinking aloud a bit. Carry on.

As our friend nomo likes to say: "Love that Reggae!"
March 02, 2014 08:55PM
I can't wait for this one!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
March 03, 2014 06:36PM
nah worries ReggaeB... that's one of the beauties of music... we all get to like whatever makes our ears happy...

March 03, 2014 06:57PM
Chronixx was the highlight of my festival season last year. He is not just for the kids, and please don't put Chronixx and Rebelution in the same sentence because they aren't even close. Before Reggae on the River last year I was wondering if he could live up to the hype as well. Not only did he live up to it, he surpassed it by a long shot!
March 03, 2014 07:51PM
Everyone is entitled to listen to whatever they enjoy. But as far as Chronixx vs. Rebelution goes, I only heard one of those artists blaring from every route taxi in JA when I was there in Jan smiling smiley

He was incredibly humble and engaging when he performed with Ernest Ranglin and Monty Alexander a few weeks back.
March 03, 2014 10:37PM
Moot now. Chronixx has been replaced by IKronik. angry smiley

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
March 03, 2014 10:47PM
Chronixx is super humble, here is a facebook post of his from about a month ago -

"artiste of the year"? a nuh time fi dat yet rasta! Mr mass media mek d artiste dem grow organic...and dont try fertilize my music!

I think that sums it up nicely.

Although Kabaka did outshine Chronixx at ROTR (as I expected), that is not to say Chronixx did not have crazy awesome energy and stage presence. I would not say he seemed "bored" at any rate. I was actually impressed with his set after all the hype up. Personally I like Kabaka & Protoje better, but I see that Chronixx has beter mass appeal and am guessing that he will go further. He has not even released a full album as of yet, we are still very early in his carreer. We could all use a likkle Major Lazer bump.

Chris, I know you know these tunes but you asked -

Chronixx & Kabaka

MoreLove

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login