Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Take Taurus Riley for granted?

Posted by akee123 
Take Taurus Riley for granted?
March 03, 2014 01:46AM
Do reggae fans recognize just how talented Taurus Riley is? He has no bad songs. His songs are always well crafted ( nod to Dean Fraser) and have thoughtful lyrics. And yet....I often feel reggae fans overlook him since he is no longer "new." He can sing lovers or cultural and plenty of songs for the Most High. Who else can with such consistency?

Anyone else with me on this?

Akee
Re: Take Taurus Riley for granted?
March 03, 2014 07:59AM
He recently started growing on me.. now I also rate him highly
March 03, 2014 10:40AM
with ya
March 03, 2014 02:32PM
Anybody who listens to reggae radio in Santa Cruz knows Tarrus Riley. He's fully penetrated this sliver of the market due to serious airplay and several top-notch performances that we have seen.

KZSC's DJ Tiffany plays so much Tarrus Riley on her Tuesday show Joy in the Morning that we refer to it around our house as Tarrus in the Morning. And along with Tarrus, she's a serious Beres Hammond fan, as well. These singers are well appreciated.

I love reggae radio.
March 03, 2014 03:08PM
yeah, not a fan, sorry just do not feel his vibe
March 03, 2014 04:03PM
Tarrus is always on or near the top of my list. Has been for a few years.
March 03, 2014 04:17PM
I absolutely love Tarrus Riley. I play him quite frequently at home, in my car.....as well as on mine and Bagga's radio show. His new album Love Situation is really good.
March 03, 2014 04:28PM
Love Tarrus from first I ever witness him, before he even get big at the time it was jus raw talent n vibes! He still have talent n vibes and the concert is well polished and very fun, but sometimes I kinda miss the raw unpolished version too. Ether way, always a joy when he comes round and is up there in my book.
March 03, 2014 04:53PM
Tarrus Riley... thumbs up
March 03, 2014 06:30PM
singles are good, albums not so much.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
March 03, 2014 06:50PM
Nuff artist a like that tho.. imo
March 03, 2014 06:58PM
HiGrade1
singles are good, albums not so much.

Maybe because you already heard all the songs before the album comes out.
March 03, 2014 07:47PM
Some folks have questioned whether Chronixx will have a long career or flame out. I have no crystal ball but Tarrus is a great example of an artist who came out of the gate with a lot of hype and has kept it up.

BTW I interviewed him a few weeks back:

[artsfuse.org]
March 03, 2014 07:52PM
Noah
Some folks have questioned whether Chronixx will have a long career or flame out. I have no crystal ball but Tarrus is a great example of an artist who came out of the gate with a lot of hype and has kept it up.

BTW I interviewed him a few weeks back:

[artsfuse.org]

That's my point......he keeps on churning out quality tunes. Look at Luciano....he plateaued after losing Dean and Firehouse.
March 03, 2014 07:55PM
Noah...did you go to Revere show?
March 03, 2014 08:10PM
He comes from great talent!
March 03, 2014 08:20PM
actually it's not cuz i heard the tunes already... it's cuz all too often albums often contain a bunch of the songs that seem like they weren't strong enough to be sold as singles... i think many artists have this happen so please don't take this as something personal against Tarrus... (i personally like a bunch of his tunes and think he's a very talented artist... i even enjoyed his performance at the festival).... but i feel like full length albums nowadays are not nearlly as strong as they once were... luckily, strong singles seem to drive the careers of reggae artists much more than albums do...

hope that explains better what i meant and where i was coming from. smoking smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
March 03, 2014 10:04PM
Tarrus gets plenty of love on my show, plus "My Day" was on my last mix. He came on after JBoog at ROTR last year and I felt he seriously upstaged him. His band Black Soil is tightness.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
March 04, 2014 01:07AM
Ahh Tarrus. I really liked him when he 1st popped on the scene. Letely I've been feeling he comes off a bit TOO polished, but that's just me. He has put consistent quality tunes out, but a bit too much lovers tunes for me, not my thing. I found myself getting a bit bored during his set at ROTR last year, Chronixx was way better. But I do like his new song "MY Life"!

Akee, I disagree about Luciano. "Serious Times" and "United States of Africa" are great albums, and I don't think Dean & Firehouse were on board for those (not %100 sure though).
March 04, 2014 04:49AM
Tarrus' newer albums may not be as strong, but "Parables" and "Contagious" are two of the best reggae albums in the past 10-20 years, right up there with Sizzla's "Da Real Thing" and Warrior King's "Virtuous Woman".
March 05, 2014 07:35PM
I just got into Tarrus Riley, WOW what a voice! Him and Lutan Fyah are my new favorite artists! Not Midnite status but they are both amazing!
March 05, 2014 08:03PM
great bloodline, unique voice.... I do remember his debut at Sierra a few years ago-there were some old school folks really looking forward to Tarrus' performance, then heard later from a few-'...don't really get what the big deal is...blah blah..' I disagreed with them at the time-I really liked his vibe and Dean Fraser's accompaniment made it all the better-big up Tarrus!

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
March 06, 2014 05:11AM
I listened to his new album today and it was excellent.
March 06, 2014 02:41PM
Ive said it before and i'll say it again, Tarrus is the carrying the torch lit by Beres.

AJ
March 06, 2014 03:33PM
I don't take Taurus Riley for granted. He's top notch.
Bring him and his father back to SNWMF anytime.
March 06, 2014 09:25PM
Father? Who is Tarrus Rileys father?
March 06, 2014 09:49PM
Jimmy Riley

March 06, 2014 09:57PM
Thanks JahSprey
March 06, 2014 10:08PM
check out more, tyler, you will love it!
jimmy riley remains one of my very all-time favorite artists.

he was with the sensations and was also a member of the uniques.
then there is his impressive catalogue of solo material.

this one is heavy & dread, but he can swing all kinda styles, trust me.

gwaan jimmy.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
AKA
March 06, 2014 10:37PM
More Jimmy Riley - Poor Immigrants

March 06, 2014 11:29PM
Thanks, sounds good MK, I will check it him out. These 3 songs I really do like, Poor Immigrants video is awesome! great vibes!

Love finding new good music!! Lutan Fyah, Tarrus Riley and now Jimmy Riley! Still lots to find I am sure! ROOTS!
March 06, 2014 11:43PM
the LP that "poor immigrants" is on is called "put the people first" and I haile recommend it. easy to find, too.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
jps
March 07, 2014 01:45AM
Another wicked track by Jimmy.

March 07, 2014 03:20AM
love that one JPS!

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 03:22AM by papaken.
AJ
March 07, 2014 01:58PM
Rossta8888 ~ Jimmy Riley replace Max Romeo on Sunday SNWMF 2010. Excellent set.
Bring Mr. Jimmy Riley back ~ Friday night @ the Village Stage with Clinton Fearon opening.thumbs up Just another day dream.
March 07, 2014 03:40PM
Yeah sadly I don think I caught that show AJ, I am working on opening my eyes to other reggae besides Midnite and have learned so much on this phorum. Thank you all for that.
March 10, 2014 05:46PM
Hey Ackee I skipped the Revere show in favor of seeing Tarrus the next night with Sanchez and Christopher Martin. I heard the Revere show was cut short due to the usual inability of boston promoters to get the headliner on stage in a timely manner. I'm told his two RI shows were excellent.
March 13, 2014 03:13PM
I too like Jimmy Riley, and that would be really nice if father was booked with son for the festival. I don't think I've ever seen a father and son combo at a festival before...
March 13, 2014 03:35PM

I don't think I've ever seen a father and son combo at a festival before...

Were you not inna Boonville in 2011 for Toots and Junior Toots....?

March 13, 2014 03:40PM
Daniel

I don't think I've ever seen a father and son combo at a festival before...

Were you not inna Boonville in 2011 for Toots and Junior Toots....?

No! Sadly, I missed that year! And it sounds like Toots isn't doing too well after that bottle throwing incident, so he may never do any more live shows, at least not for a while. It goes to show that every year, SNWMF is not to be missed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login