Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best Practices - SNWMF Without Camping

Posted by bigvein 
Best Practices - SNWMF Without Camping
March 07, 2014 07:14PM
I not really into the camping thing, although I can make it work if it came down to it.

That said, how do you experienced goers suggest I make a trod to SNWMF without pitching a tent.

This is what I have thus far..

1. Fly into SFO or some Bay Area Port.
2. Rent a car
3. Drive to festy area..
4. Rent a room for the weekend
a. Room will be home base for the duration of the festy..
5. From there will probably roam about in So Cal for another month..
Re: Best Practices - SNWMF Without Camping
March 07, 2014 07:29PM
If no hotel room is available, one year a friend of mine rented a room from a resident for the weekend, really reasonable, free parking and very convenient. I think he saw it listed in some newspaper.

Love that reggae!
March 07, 2014 07:32PM
FYI, there are virtually no rooms available in Anderson Valley so, unless you go with nomo's suggestion, you are looking at a 25-30 minute drive to Ukiah to find a hotel room there.....
March 07, 2014 08:14PM
Daniel
FYI, there are virtually no rooms available in Anderson Valley so, unless you go with nomo's suggestion, you are looking at a 25-30 minute drive to Ukiah to find a hotel room there.....

i may just do that.. i travel 30mins each day, one-way, so no bigs.
March 07, 2014 09:17PM
thumbs up

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
March 07, 2014 10:11PM
well, you say "no bigs" having never driven that route back to Ukiah at 3-4am...the road is twisty curvey and there are deer about, and I am saying this to you because it's no joke. it's not like it's some easy 30 minute straight ride on your regular highway. it was enough to keep me from doing the Ukiah hotel thing (which I would much prefer) and still keeps me camping near the fest.

m.

* [www.shocksofshebamusic.com]
* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
March 07, 2014 10:35PM
mosquito killer
well, you say "no bigs" having never driven that route back to Ukiah at 3-4am...the road is twisty curvey and there are deer about, and I am saying this to you because it's no joke. it's not like it's some easy 30 minute straight ride on your regular highway. it was enough to keep me from doing the Ukiah hotel thing (which I would much prefer) and still keeps me camping near the fest.

m.

as soon as i posted that, that same thought came to me.. looks like i may have to make a trip to REI or rent some gear before i reach.
AJ
March 07, 2014 11:41PM
Here's an idea..............Buy a on-site camping pass.........rent a suv where you can put down the passenger seat and you have your bed. I have done it before and I know a few others who have done the same at SNWMF. The money you would have spent on renting camping gear buy a sleeping bag instead.
I camp at Hendy Woods which is about 15 minutes away and is not a bad drive, but it might be sold out by now.
Good luck.
March 08, 2014 02:47AM
I drove to Ukiah and had a hotel room after Saturday night and thought it worked out great and will likely do the same this year. Take it slow on the backroad, you'll likely be with other cars. Staying the night in a clean bed , getting a shower, eats and coffee before heading back to the fest the next day was well nice. I man caan deal with the late night drum circle or party kids playing dub step all night next to my tent, then hitting worked over worked port-o-potties, times done changed from years past and my willingness to camp out..so it goes.
March 09, 2014 11:36PM
There my be accommodations available via airbnb.com. You basically are renting a room in someones house or renting out their entire house. My uncle uses it all the time when he travels back East or is going to go to a show in SF.
March 10, 2014 05:38PM
teachdem
I drove to Ukiah and had a hotel room after Saturday night and thought it worked out great and will likely do the same this year. Take it slow on the backroad, you'll likely be with other cars. Staying the night in a clean bed , getting a shower, eats and coffee before heading back to the fest the next day was well nice. I man caan deal with the late night drum circle or party kids playing dub step all night next to my tent, then hitting worked over worked port-o-potties, times done changed from years past and my willingness to camp out..so it goes.

its only a max two nights where i will be making the trek back to the room.. i dont drink, smoke, can barely make it beyond 930p these days.. so i will go with this one.
i have done the airbnb thing when i went to NYC a few years ago.. just felt like i was being watched with some hidden camera business.. but thanks for the suggestion..

so a week out i will fly into san diego or LA.. then make the drive north on the thursday prior.. just in case something happens.. gives me a day to at least show by sat.
March 10, 2014 06:24PM
bv -- if I didn't drink or smoke and planned on leaving early (considering how late the dancehall goes) then I would ABSOLUTELY get a hotel in Ukiah too! you will be so much more comfortable...and clean.

m.

* [www.shocksofshebamusic.com]
* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
March 10, 2014 06:46PM
mosquito killer
bv -- if I didn't drink or smoke and planned on leaving early (considering how late the dancehall goes) then I would ABSOLUTELY get a hotel in Ukiah too! you will be so much more comfortable...and clean.

m.

re: the dancehall

yeah.. work takes me to NYC in July/August so I can catch a vintage set at that time.

or maybe just hit up the following weeks shows, with the same sound systems at LA's dub club, etc.

at least that has been the pattern years past.. Sound Systems and artists make appearances in LA/SD the following week of SNWMF...
March 11, 2014 09:11PM
A cabin has opened up at Hendy Woods state park campground

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
March 13, 2014 03:37PM
I don't do the camping thing, and I've been driving back and forth from a Ukiah hotel to this festival for years. I really recommend it for those that want to stay at a hotel. Just take your time driving the curvey road at night, as others have mentioned. I've seen deer quite a few times making that drive at night, and even had to stop on the road with a young deer right in front of my car, as I came around a corner, just staring at me. It's all part of the festival experience. I've even seen bands and artists there at the hotel lobby or at nearby places to eat (last year, I was in line behind the drummer in Leroy Sibbles' backing band, and saw several band members at that food place as well). It's all part of the festival experience, whether you camp or stay at a hotel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login