Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Niggardly allowances toward BIG YOUTH

Posted by papaken 
Niggardly allowances toward BIG YOUTH
March 09, 2014 01:39AM
Strikkly wrote :

Um yeah BIG YOUTH came the other year on SNWMF Valley stage with "EVERY NIGGER IS A STAR"........
and I thought it was out of place for the mostly white SNWMF.
So if you take issue to the heart then why did we not hear about BIG YOUTH WORDS on that da

OUT OF PLACE for mostly white SNWMF!?????!!!!!!!!!!

Really?!! ...Youth IS talking about 'Niggars being stars' ; the message he communicates is universal -that's why Youth playfully jumps and smiles and prances around while winking like a jester. He wants us to join with him in his condemnation of the systems' evils. I don't know what is so intellectually challenging about this......

Big Youth 'blows the big man's mind' every time he performs the song. He is mocking the system and those who use words to degrade; his psyche animated and intensely motivated to manifest the extraordinary.

Doing what he does (in this case mischieviously), he creates an emotional field that inspires others; an emotional and psychological need to express oneself so much that your well-being is wrapped up in his energy.

'Every Niggar is a Star' conveys a message: Claim it, Nurture it, Live who you are. In doing so, begin to witness any struggle you may have had creating the life you desire begin to fade, along with any confusion or grief from denying yourself self acceptance. Denying who you truly are will rob you of joy and passion for life.There is nothing more painful than living with the death of your self, living with an embodied spirit that lay suppressed, rejected, hidden and persistently denied emergence, it’s an act of self destruction. Even though people want to continue to hate and name call, we realize cultivating inner freedom is an ongoing process, a life journey, we can be free from despondency and thriving with possibility. The cure is to create. An act of creation will begin to free your spirit within. To freely create, into form, whatever is inspiring you with the energy to express it must be allowed, engaged supported and cultivated.Refusing to recognize the spirit and its need to express, ignoring inspiration, inner whispers, scoffing at what the imagination reveals, whether self inflicted or imposed by family or friends, will lead people to the edge of themselves. For people to deny who they are by refusing to admit the truth of embodying a creative spirit and dismissing that their essence is weaved within a desire to be overly sensitive to ridiculous labels - that's dreadly. Prolonged suppression will squeeze any remaining life force painfully out, showing itself through signs of depression.

From a recent Gleaner article:

After he recorded Every Nigger is a Star, Boris Gardiner used to perform the song regularly with his band, The Boris Gardiner Happening. He tells The Sunday Gleaner that people loved it and would dance to it.

These days, though, Gardiner no longer performs the song, the last occasion being at a concert in the now defunct Heineken Startime series.

When The Sunday Gleaner asked Gardiner if he had a problem with the word 'nigger', he said: "I still have a problem today. That's why I don't sing it on stage. I don't want the young generation to get back into it with their friends and family. If it can die out let it die."

Still, he said: "People like the song. It's a good song. It is a pity you can't sing it another way. Another way it doesn't sound right".

For Gardiner to consider singing Every Nigger is a Star, he says "somebody really has to request it hard. Insist".

There have been other performers, though, who have been happy to do their versions of Every Nigger is a Star, Big Youth performing his version at the first staging of Beres Hammond's year-ending A Moment in Time in 2007 to screaming crowds at the National Indoor Sports Centre. His version, done shortly after the original, transferred Every Nigger is a Star into the dance hall, utilising the same lyrics. Then over 20 years later, Supercat did a version on his The Struggle Continues album, the title remaining the same but the words in the chorus amended to:

"Every nigger is a African and also a star

And we know where we coming from an' we know who we are."

Supercat referenced Every Nigger is a Star on record twice, as he used the opening "I'm not sure anymore ..." and melody in the dance hall favourite Nuff Man a Die. He takes that song in the direction of remembrance of dead singers, including Tenor Saw. Frankie Paul has also done a version of Every Nigger is a Star.

There is one performance of Every Nigger is a Star which Boris Gardiner remembers clearly. He did not face a large live audience, though, but was listened to by a massive radio one. He tells The Sunday Gleaner that "in about 1999, (US radio 'shock jock') Howard Stern played it during Black History Month. Some friends of mine were listening. After he played it, he was saying who is this Boris Gardiner, as he had never seen or heard of him".

Immediately one of Gardiner's friends called in, a connection was made and Gardiner spoke to Stern, who invited him to perform Every Nigger is a Star live on the programme. So he went to the US, got four musicians and rehearsed thoroughly. "Friday morning early we were at CBS and I performed it live on radio right there. I had a wonderful time."

Then "a few minutes later, the calls started coming in. And the black people started giving off sound", he said. He told them that if they listened to the lyrics, they would realise that it was something positive.

With that exposure, Gardiner was being encouraged to re-record the song, which he did not do. At the time, too, Gardiner's I Wanna Wake Up With You was relatively fresh and making a tremendous impact in England especially. "The song could have got a nice plug, but he (Stern) was not interested," Gardiner said.

So Every Nigger is a Star stays where it is, as Gardiner says: "It is my gut feeling that the word hurt a lot of people and it is best to keep it from the ears of many. It is best it stays where it is. I not going to push it."

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 01:40AM by papaken.
Re: Niggardly allowances toward BIG YOUTH
March 09, 2014 09:41AM
Massive raspect out to Manley Buchanan!
Great man and a great artist!!!
March 09, 2014 10:34AM
Big Youth gave one of the most entertaining press confrences boomville has seen yet
March 09, 2014 03:39PM
Dr Suess
Big Youth gave one of the most entertaining press confrences boomville has seen yet

Spleece gave me a CD in 2005 with a whole bunch of press tent interviews, Big Youth being one of them. So good.

"Cause if you preach race you's a racist..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 05:44PM by J_72.
March 09, 2014 04:35PM
How fascinating Papaken, that video looked familiar. It's one of mine that was downloaded and re uploaded. On the original, i had a debate with myself as to what to put for the title, because although i loved the song and had to include it, i wasn't comfortable with the word because it does hurt. So here was my solution, can't say i'm real happy that it wasn't used on the downloaded version:

Love that reggae!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 04:35PM by nomotrouble.
March 09, 2014 05:16PM
Haven't heard his angel's camp or marysville era press confrences, but fondly remember his interview in 2010. Managed to say a lot in the time he was given
March 09, 2014 06:24PM
It was around the same time this came out I think....Muta's all star album.

March 09, 2014 06:32PM
Sorry Papa Ken for going off course.

Peace
March 10, 2014 09:13AM
Watching the crusty hordes of the uber PC boogie woogie crowd shake their thing to 'every nigger is a star' is the essence of POSTMODERN DYSTOPIA in my book. Don't take it too personally Ken.
Struck a chord though.
Thanks for the thread.
March 10, 2014 12:17PM
Words are just words, it is the intent and meaning behind the words that give them connotations, good or bad. It is 100% about context, something that a lot of people miss these days.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
March 10, 2014 12:59PM
it would be a good day when everyone is no longer a racial expert.. a good day when youths are taught economics, financial systems, basics of the legal system.. with those tools in place the youths can move gracefully in the system.. a side step of sorts.
March 10, 2014 01:41PM
bigvein
it would be a good day when everyone is no longer a racial expert.. a good day when youths are taught economics, financial systems, basics of the legal system.. with those tools in place the youths can move gracefully in the system.. a side step of sorts.

Good point.
March 10, 2014 01:51PM
March 10, 2014 01:59PM
bigvein
'lol...the first part of this reminds me of something my wife's grandfather used to say " im sick of these white folks telling me what I should be offended by".... Completley agree with the rest of your statement...
March 10, 2014 02:44PM
east bay herbalist
bigvein
'lol...the first part of this reminds me of something my wife's grandfather used to say " im sick of these white folks telling me what I should be offended by".... Completley agree with the rest of your statement...

well the 'expert' comment applies to all colors and stripes.. in fact on the rare chance that i watch tv or listen to over the air radio, and when some debate on race relations kicks off i change the station. many people are in the situation they are in because of their life choices. has nothing to do with some global oppression conspiracy. yes oppression exists.. police brutality and frame jobs exists.. there is no under-stating any of that. however for the day to day joe who cant seem to get up and push their shoulder to the wheel.. well that's a character issue. has nothing to do with what mister white, mister rothstein, or mister chin may be scheming. but i get your point.. it is really mind boggling when some non-black clown is going around 'championing' black issues and is always the first one to yell 'racist'.. knowing full well all types of racial slurs were thrown around in that person's childhood home.. lets not even talk about that person experiencing zero form of the american 'black' experience. well maybe through their day dreams while losing themselves to a PE or Rakim CD. anyway...
i say use whatever racial slander you want.. call me an N or whatever flows the easiest from your tongue. my life is very good.. in the end, i wont let any white, black, chiney, dominican, or maritan steal my joy.
now if dealing in fruits of my labor, family members, etc, then thats another matter.. but yeah, think or say what you want all day.
March 10, 2014 03:14PM
so if we look at oppression, in all forms, as an elephant on our plate, what must we do to rid(eat) ourselves of it?

judging by the hate discussed in rap songs(or bad mind if jamaican), then we must start nibbling at the feet of the elephant. we can call this part 'black oppression.' when we get beyond the feet, then lets talk about 'white oppression'

what is black oppression as heard in rap, rnb, dancehall ?

its oppression or hate based on:

a. someone has more shoes then the next
b. someone's baby wears jordans and the other's baby wears pay-less
c. someone's rims shine cleaner than the next
d. someone is getting paid, and the next has to 9-5 it
e. someone looked at a next the wrong way - beef
f. entry a next petty ish right here

while the petty ish is in the way, and while folks are still distracted by base level interests, then there is nothing to talk about.
its just like when i went to the trayvon 'rally' here in river oaks. folks were chanting and carrying on.. but when the cameras turned off, it was off to the bar. cant miss the drink specials and a new pair of panties to pull down..

joke business all around..
March 10, 2014 03:18PM
What BIG YOUTH reminded me of is MATTHEW 7:6
"Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine,
or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."
take it or leave it.....
I never said anyone should be offended,
I said the context or the irony if you will was lost on a stoned out festy crowd
respect sameway
March 12, 2014 10:21AM
Well said , the whole a yuh!

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login