Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marcus Garvey death

Posted by zoki 
Marcus Garvey death
March 10, 2014 03:16PM

The Jamaican politician is the only person known to have possibly been killed by their premature obituary. In 1940, Garvey suffered a stroke, and his death was reported in a Chicago paper which he happened to read. Unfortunately, the obituary was completely unflattering, saying the once loved man had died “broke, alone and unpopular.” According to legend, the stress of reading about what people really thought of him was so stressful it brought on another stroke, which actually did kill him.

[mentalfloss.com]
Re: Marcus Garvey death
March 10, 2014 03:22PM
The Establishment hated Marcus Garvey more than anyone I can recall reading about in modern history, he was a true thorn in their side and thus their hatred of him is a testimony to his veracity and excellence. A man before his time and a beacon of light for generations to come.
March 10, 2014 05:44PM
Where is he buried?
March 10, 2014 06:04PM
"Marcus Garvey was buried in St. Mary’s Roman Catholic cemetery in Kensal Green, London. However, on November 13, 1964, the remains of the Right Excellent Marcus Mosiah Garvey were exhumed in London and reentered into a special Marcus Garvey Memorial in National Heroes Park in Kingston, Jamaica. It was here that Garvey was declared Jamaica’s first national hero."
March 10, 2014 07:18PM
Mighty Diamonds doubt that is Garvey.

"what is this ashes business... ?"

yall totally missing the lyrics.. thinking this is just some joke and smoke music..

March 10, 2014 07:39PM
its odd.. many people, in this area, have never heard of marcus garvey. little do they know it was garvey's influence that led to the rise of malcolm x.. it was also garvey's influence that caused the system to bring in a countermeasure - mlk.

so from that time, we gone from "raise ye mighty race", "any means necessary" to "ban bossy"...
people movements and meditation real jokey in this time.. seriously.
March 10, 2014 08:06PM
Thanks Zoki for the info. I teach Garvey to my students every year in my US history classes. He's a pivotal figure in the Harlem Renaissance and the "New Negro Movement". I first introduce him in relation to Rastafarians in my annual Bob Marley lecture.

Peace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login