Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Flavor in the Dancehall

Posted by Octagon 
New Flavor in the Dancehall
March 11, 2014 10:56AM
As a very satisfied customer of one of the best Reggae festival's in the U.S. since the Marysville days and as a friend of the festival and a friend of many local patrons, dj's and friends of all ages that have supported SNWMF for years and years please bring something remotely relevant to current Jamaican Music in the Dancehall this year. I am fully aware of the format and the lifestyle and music that SNWMF promotes and i am not asking to change that, or that i have not been happy with what i have seen @ SN in the past but this is the ONE biggest and best venues for late-night music for HUNDREDS of miles for TWO nights a year. WE are not asking for Bounty Killer and Tony Matterhorn. (I am personally but my vote is irrelevant). We aren't asking for a clubbed out dutty wine twerk fest. But we do, as patrons, ask for something DIFFERENT and current to the times and reality of what is going on in Reggae music, everyone has internet and thousands of these people in the Dancehall are sometimes more aware of what is going on in Reggae music than what is offered in the dancehall. Why book REBELUTION but not a sound like Metromedia or Jabba and Bobby Konders, or Federation sound, or King Addies, or Mungos Hi-Fi with Soom-T and Solo Banton, or Kilamanjaro, or Poison Dart, or Bass Odyssey, or Supersonic, or LP, or Luv Injection, or maybe some local Sounds for an early warm (I know that nobody localish would ever get that chance, even though it could be done and done well) but see who can teach and bust the place with vibes. As always Respect to Commanche, there is no but needed in this sentence, he has done a great job every year. Please continue to move Reggae music forward as you have always done in the past and keep it entertaining and something to look forward to because people paying for the festival deserve the best in Reggae music entertainment.

(Rory or any other Stonelove Selector would bust the place after a one year off.)
Re: New Flavor in the Dancehall
March 11, 2014 02:04PM
New flavor or Stone Love?

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
March 11, 2014 05:07PM
Danny Crucial
New flavor or Stone Love?

While I rate Stone Love as one of my favorite soundsystems, and one most influential to me personally, I have still never seen some of the big sounds listed by Octogon. It would be a privilege to see some of those other sounds so I'd be happy to have more of a rotation in the dancehall bookings at SNWMF.
March 11, 2014 05:10PM
Forward Mungos Hi-Fi!!!
March 12, 2014 12:07AM
I'd throw in Iration Steppas and the guys in my car rotation right now King Kong Disko outta Germany. I'm loving their mixes. Can't stop listening to them. Listening to their Gorilla Treats Mix right now, but love their Studio 1 Riddimwise 1 and 2 mixes. You can find them out there to download if you search it out. Big up yourself Don Cosmic on the link.
March 12, 2014 04:45AM
March 12, 2014 05:43AM
fourtwentyplenty
I'd throw in Iration Steppas and the guys in my car rotation right now King Kong Disko outta Germany. I'm loving their mixes. Can't stop listening to them. Listening to their Gorilla Treats Mix right now, but love their Studio 1 Riddimwise 1 and 2 mixes. You can find them out there to download if you search it out. Big up yourself Don Cosmic on the link.

mixes alone doesnt make a sound.. some of the hardest mixes making the internnet rounds come from 'sounds' who simply cut, paste, time sync, tracks within a wav editor. i would bring in a local CA sound before a german sound.. GTO/Octagon is one i would suggest before any other obscure sound.
March 12, 2014 05:48AM
that said.. i am loving this studio one mix.. just got done with my early morning cardio(30mins stairmaster) so still on that workout high.. tunes nice.
March 12, 2014 07:19AM
Haven't seen fourtwentyplenty from long time, big ups!
March 12, 2014 10:17AM
bigvein
mixes alone doesnt make a sound.. some of the hardest mixes making the internnet rounds come from 'sounds' who simply cut, paste, time sync, tracks within a wav editor. i would bring in a local CA sound before a german sound.. GTO/Octagon is one i would suggest before any other obscure sound.

Yes I understand that, but from what I can see these guys have plenty of experience doing soundsystem shows. I was just noting that I love their selection and mixes. They seem to have a mighty fine crate. I'm cool with GTO also. Last time I saw them was at Beneficial Reggae and got to hang for a few. They're very nice guys. I unfortunately missed them here in Sebtown with DJ Jacques. The local guys who know me know that I support them in spirit if not in person these days. I support any forwarding of local reggae vibes even if I do not particularly like the sound or show. I want reggae to live forever. The world needs more reggae.

Big up to you as well Bun. Been a long time since I've posted here with any consistency. Took a break as life got heavy. Happy to see some of my familiar bredren on the board as well as the fest every year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 10:17AM by fourtwentyplenty.
March 12, 2014 10:31AM
Bring Waggy T!

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
March 12, 2014 11:24AM
I though it was all about the guy that made the song and sang the words…not about the guy that spins the records….I do agree with the sentiment though. How about some dancehall in the dancehall and enough with the history lesson. I just think that SNWMF budget is better spent getting more big artists to play live, (like a couple more dancehall singers) then shelling out big bucks for what's his name to spin the records. Fire them all, use that money to pay jah Vinchi and Konshens to sing, and hire GTO to do the rest.
March 12, 2014 11:32AM
randomguy2u
I though it was all about the guy that made the song and sang the words…not about the guy that spins the records….I do agree with the sentiment though. How about some dancehall in the dancehall and enough with the history lesson. I just think that SNWMF budget is better spent getting more big artists to play live, (like a couple more dancehall singers) then shelling out big bucks for what's his name to spin the records. Fire them all, use that money to pay jah Vinchi and Konshens to sing, and hire GTO to do the rest.

i like this idea, but only works with multiple artists touching the mic.

wrt SNWMF dancehall.. i think in the end, only a few people in attendance really 'get it' .. the sound-system/dance thing.. the rest are probably there just because..
March 12, 2014 11:49AM
fourtwentyplenty
bigvein

Yes I understand that, but from what I can see these guys have plenty of experience doing soundsystem shows. I was just noting that I love their selection and mixes. They seem to have a mighty fine crate. I'm cool with GTO also. Last time I saw them was at Beneficial Reggae and got to hang for a few. They're very nice guys. I unfortunately missed them here in Sebtown with DJ Jacques. The local guys who know me know that I support them in spirit if not in person these days. I support any forwarding of local reggae vibes even if I do not particularly like the sound or show. I want reggae to live forever. The world needs more reggae.

Big up to you as well Bun. Been a long time since I've posted here with any consistency. Took a break as life got heavy. Happy to see some of my familiar bredren on the board as well as the fest every year.

btw.. those king kong mixes are all fire.. those guys have a very keen ear for the music...
March 12, 2014 01:44PM
I'm down for all of Octogon's idea's. One thing I don't get is SNWMF prides itself on not re booking the same talent year to year. I wish this was true in the dancehall.
That being said it is still the best dancehall I attend.
One more name for the list MAJOR LAZER.
March 12, 2014 01:52PM
Diesel
I'm down for all of Octogon's idea's. One thing I don't get is SNWMF prides itself on not re booking the same talent year to year. I wish this was true in the dancehall.
That being said it is still the best dancehall I attend.
One more name for the list MAJOR LAZER.

have you ever been to a vintage NYC dance ? big up SNWMF and the works.. but try going to a rub a dub dance in NYC.. end of story..

before i get too old, i would like to attend a UK lovers dance.. hold up a thing like how i see in those old skool videos..
March 12, 2014 02:12PM
I'd also like to see Shinehead hit the stage and then the dancehall as a DJ, MC, and vocalist. Very entertaining and knows his crate. He'd ram it. I always remember 04 when Briggy and Carlton hit the valley stage together on Saturday with Fully and company then the dancehall with Downbeat that night.
March 12, 2014 02:14PM
bigvein
btw.. those king kong mixes are all fire.. those guys have a very keen ear for the music...

Big up to Don Cosmic on the link to those guys. Can't stop listening to em bro.
March 12, 2014 05:19PM
Give thanks for the kind words. Waggy T gets my vote for the dancehall hands down, he could handle it no worries and fits the format fully-
March 12, 2014 08:06PM
Shinehead inna dancehall!
March 12, 2014 08:50PM
J_72
Shinehead inna dancehall!

Massive cosign!
March 12, 2014 09:27PM
I would be great to see some Europe sounds like Jugglerz, Heavy Hammer, Warrior Sound, SuperSonic, Heatwave, etc
March 13, 2014 08:26AM
MUNGOS HI FI fo sho!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
AJ
March 13, 2014 08:42AM
Since U Roy is on the bill for the weekend.............I'd be one happy camper if Stur Grav was in the dancehall barn.
Add a little John Holt on the mic..........now we have a good thing going.
I know this is not "new flavor"...but I'm still feeling the vibes from the Stur Grav dance at Angels Camp.
March 14, 2014 02:45PM
Re-cosign and double down.......BRING HIM!!!!

Gotta love an artist that REALLY bonds with his peeps.....

The forgotten art......

March 14, 2014 06:31PM
Quick fkn a bout in the parking lot! <sarcasm> just in case....... smileys with beer

Love to see ya'll in the Dancehall! L-Town got ya back!

cheers!

Can I say I'll see you at the Camo Party? Cuz I might not!!! Whered who go?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 06:33PM by Joshwa.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login