Advanced

Kids

Posted by s3izone_1 
Kids
March 12, 2014 05:23PM
Hello!

I will be attending my first SNWF.

Curious, how is the youth situation?

WIll be driving down from Portland and want to bring my 8 year daughter. Do they have a kid camp there where folks can set up a tent.Any other info i should know??

Many thanks
Re: Kids
March 12, 2014 05:25PM
Yes, there IS a 'family' camping area that would be ideal for you and her. And, with tons of children's activities, I'm sure your daughter will have a blast....
March 12, 2014 05:35PM
There is much much more to the festival web site than this most entertaining Phorum.

[snwmf.com]
March 12, 2014 05:36PM
From what I can see in Cali there isn't a better festival in my opinion for kids. I've brought my kids a number of times in the past. My 10 yr old came last year and had a great time. His desire only expanded to wanting to go to some of the other fests here. He's got the fire in his belly now. For the most part everyone there is very cool and trustworthy. I let my kid roam numerous times and he always found his way back to home base. He made some friends and looks forward to seeing them this year. Many of the vendors also bring their kids and love to introduce their kids to yours.The festival also has made available in past years blank wristbands that you can write contact information on like a cell phone number in case your child gets lost and needs to find you. You will have a great time at the fest.
March 12, 2014 06:09PM
Thanks all!

Super excited. Brought her to pickathon a couple years ago. Stole the show with her hula hoopin skills.
March 12, 2014 07:44PM
Leave your kid at home and enjoy the party. Super hot with no swimming and very adult oriented in my opinion. Take a break and recharge your parent battery.
March 12, 2014 07:58PM
No way! SNWMF is ideal for kids of all ages. super relaxed, super safe and lots of fun activities constantly. Her hula hoop will fit right in! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
March 12, 2014 08:16PM
Bringing young kids is full-on parenting, but with great background music. It can be fun, some of the time, but not all of the time, and definitely not as enjoyable as letting loose without them. I was never able to catch all the late night stage action and dancehall sounds with them in tow and that always left some regrets. And it's hard on them as the weekend runs on. It's loud. Bring noise reduction earmuffs/plugs.

That said, SNWMF is the one multi-day festival that we ALWAYS were comfortable bringing our girls. They have not wanted to got for the past 4-5 years, but with Rebelution playing, there's renewed interest....
March 12, 2014 09:32PM
Jahsprey
Bringing young kids is full-on parenting, but with great background music. It can be fun, some of the time, but not all of the time, and definitely not as enjoyable as letting loose without them. I was never able to catch all the late night stage action and dancehall sounds with them in tow and that always left some regrets. And it's hard on them as the weekend runs on. It's loud. Bring noise reduction earmuffs/plugs.

That said, SNWMF is the one multi-day festival that we ALWAYS were comfortable bringing our girls.

Agreed. Everyone is making valid points. It's all about what your intent is. Obviously if you're going in order to see everything you can without restriction, then bringing the kids is not advised, but I don't think that's the question. As far as super hot, it has really only been a scorcher one year that I can remember. Yes it's generally pretty hot up into the 80s, 90s and more, but last year it was very pleasant and even got a bit chilly in the daytime. The usual precautions are advised. sunsceen, hats, shade cover, water, misters in the daytime. It sometimes gets pretty windy in the late afternoon/early evening hours turning to pretty cold and sometimes foggy at night. It's close enough to the coast and sits in a valley that there sometimes is an onshore flow and the weather changes with as much as 40-50 degree temperature change. So at night you need warm clothes and a jacket or hoodie, maybe a beenie or scarf for the kids if they'll be up late. Blankets also are a good idea if they'll be sitting while you watch the show from wherever you are. It definitely gets loud so ditto on the ear protection just in case. If she's a Star Wars fan, take her for a drive through Navarro Woods, where they filmed the forest scenes in Empire Strikes Back, which is west not far down 128 towards the coast.
March 12, 2014 10:22PM
I don't have any kids, but I camp with our group in family camp which has a couple kids! I'd definitely say bring them!!! Family camp is very relaxed and close to the stage so you don't have to worry about a long walk. There's a kids area near the stages and vendors which would be perfect for her. Also a hula hoop vendor which she can play with some hoops if she feels like it smiling smiley Hope you and her enjoy your first snwmf! smiling smiley
March 13, 2014 03:25PM
Ha Gary, my daughter has been like "meh" the past couple, but really wants to go this year because of Rebby! c u all soon!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login