Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which dub album is better than original version?

Posted by akee123 
Which dub album is better than original version?
March 16, 2014 03:47PM
Just listening to Black Roots lp from last year, made me think I like the dub version better than original. Anyone else have similar feelings toward dub albums?
Re: Which dub album is better than original version?
March 16, 2014 03:52PM
Aswad: A New Chapter of Dub is the first one that comes to my mind....
March 16, 2014 04:15PM
Augustus Pablo: Eastman Dub
over
Tetrack: Let's Get Started
March 16, 2014 09:00PM
Daniel

thumbs up - my choice as well.
March 16, 2014 10:03PM
Each and every Groundation dub album.
March 16, 2014 10:17PM
Daniel

Ha ha! Holy sh$*. I saw this thread and was going to say the exact same thing. Total Twilight Zone moment. An amazing album that I played so many times back in high school and listened to in the waist deep, fluffy dry, Utah powder. Flickaflame!

BTW, they headlined Sunsplash one year...maybe '90 or '91. Outdoor venue and was in the high 70s all night. Definitely one of the Top 5 live performances of my life. Not the same now without Brinsley Ford.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 10:24PM by jcom.
March 16, 2014 10:19PM
March 17, 2014 01:52AM
zoki
Each and every Groundation dub album.

March 17, 2014 12:11PM
i heard and fell in love w/ new chapter of dub long before i heard new chapter
so that is what came right to my brain when i saw the thread

March 17, 2014 12:23PM
Or ask yourself, 'how many 45s do you prefer the dub over the vocal side?' THERE'S THE MULTITUDES.
March 17, 2014 09:54PM
Jcom wrote :BTW, they headlined Sunsplash one year...maybe '90 or '91

If you mean the US Sunsplash tour, yes that was 1992, I believe. Drove all the way down from Dallas for that one. Billed as "Carribbean Fest", this was one hot mofo -New Orleans in June??!! Saturday had the epic no shows of Supercat and the Wailing Souls, then on Sunday, the Sunsplash tour bus broke down on the way from San Antonio. So , "Sunsplash,' which was supposed to commence about 3, didn't get started until around 8 at night. So what was billed as an international fest, had so far been 1 1/2 days of sweaty sets of 'the New Orleans Blacksheep (can't remember the name of the hardworking local band that tried to compensate) in between breaks of about 2 hours each time. We almost called it quits but so glad we stayed ; we saw incredible sets turned in by Papa San, John Holt and Aswad. John Holt and Aswad were who we came to see(along with the aforementioned Wailing Souls) and they performed as though they could feel the audience's pain of having basically no reggae for 1 and 3/4 days on a two day reggae bill-. Killer as I would say.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
March 17, 2014 10:47PM
doesnt really apply.. but one of my favorite albums is Black Uhuru - Showcase... vocals followed by dub.
March 18, 2014 12:18AM
papaken
Jcom wrote :BTW, they headlined Sunsplash one year...maybe '90 or '91

If you mean the US Sunsplash tour, yes that was 1992, I believe. Drove all the way down from Dallas for that one. Billed as "Carribbean Fest", this was one hot mofo -New Orleans in June??!! Saturday had the epic no shows of Supercat and the Wailing Souls, then on Sunday, the Sunsplash tour bus broke down on the way from San Antonio. So , "Sunsplash,' which was supposed to commence about 3, didn't get started until around 8 at night. So what was billed as an international fest, had so far been 1 1/2 days of sweaty sets of 'the New Orleans Blacksheep (can't remember the name of the hardworking local band that tried to compensate) in between breaks of about 2 hours each time. We almost called it quits but so glad we stayed ; we saw incredible sets turned in by Papa San, John Holt and Aswad. John Holt and Aswad were who we came to see(along with the aforementioned Wailing Souls) and they performed as though they could feel the audience's pain of having basically no reggae for 1 and 3/4 days on a two day reggae bill-. Killer as I would say.

Good call Papaken (see link). [business.highbeam.com]
I saw it in Salt Lake City that year. It used to be all about all ages, outdoor shows and festivals back then and many of them were held at the Triad Center, Park West (now The Canyons), and Snowbird Mountain Resort. Sunsplash was at Triad every year and I'd guess that the crowds were 3500 -5000 on average. One thing you can count on in June-July in SLC is dry, warm evenings/nights that rarely dip below 70F. Miss those days...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 12:24AM by jcom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login