Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Too Much Dancehall for 2014

Posted by IrieMono 
Too Much Dancehall for 2014
March 24, 2014 01:21PM
Hey all you festival goers! As always I am looking forward to this years SNWMF! I'm sure it's going to be a great time with some uplifting vibes. In my opinion there's a bit too much dancehall flavor this year. Anyone else agree? I am hoping they aren't done with adding more classic roots music. Seems like the whole reason to have an actual dancehall at the festival is so there is a nice balance between the classic roots and the dancehall vibe. As a patron you could pick and choose. What choices do we have this year if we have dancehall on the main stage and in the dancehall. There are usually some good bands at the second stage but you don't get the roots vibes from the originators, the big names that keep the classic reggae style alive and pulsing. I want my crucial reggae SNWMF!!!

Jah bless
Re: Too Much Dancehall for 2014
March 24, 2014 01:44PM
Just curious Iriemono: Which of the artists on this year's bill do you consider to be "dancehall"......?
March 24, 2014 01:47PM
I agree! Need more classic reggae vibes!
March 24, 2014 01:51PM
You guys are trippin. You sure you're reading the right lineup? I think this year has a killer rootsy, old school, lineup. Barrington Levy, Tarrus Riley, Mykal Rose, Bltty Mclean, Horace Andy, Sly & Robbie, U Roy, Morgan Heritage, John Holt, Clinton Fearon, The Tamlins, Josey Wales (true danchall...not stresshall), etc. Not sure what list you're looking at but I'm certainly tipping my hat to the promoters for this year's lineup...and this is coming from someone who hates modern day stresshall.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 01:52PM by jcom.
March 24, 2014 01:55PM
I am wit jcom... wassup!? Ya'll REALLY think there's 'too much dancehall'?...

hmmm...not gettin this post... clueless, maybe?

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 24, 2014 01:57PM
1 of the great line-ups EVER! Massive amounts of roots, a little modern/dancehall, cute girls with a sprinkle of world flavor. Perfect recipe for me!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
March 24, 2014 02:00PM
Well... IMHO Shaggy is pretty much dancehall. Barrington Levy had a really strong dancehall vibe when he closed the show a few years back. He also seemed pretty bored with the crowd too since we were all feelin mellow and Irie and not wanting to be jumping up and down his whole set. I guess I just feel a bit disappointed that the bigger names come with a more dancehall flavor. Mychael Rose is alright but at this point its Sly and Robbie for me as far as representing the roots. Last year was special and this year we get Shaggy?!?!? Where's Willie Williams? Burning Spear? Sheeesh, at least bring back Toots or Don Carlos again... Just my thoughts. I got my ticket, I know I'll still have a good time but the lineup might not hold up to the last few years, IMHO.
March 24, 2014 02:01PM
I smell a troll. They both have 1 post each.
March 24, 2014 02:01PM
Add the Congos and/or Max: (non-existent) problem solved! I just had to...

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
March 24, 2014 02:08PM
IrieMono
Well... IMHO Shaggy is pretty much dancehall. Barrington Levy had a really strong dancehall vibe when he closed the show a few years back. He also seemed pretty bored with the crowd too since we were all feelin mellow and Irie and not wanting to be jumping up and down his whole set. I guess I just feel a bit disappointed that the bigger names come with a more dancehall flavor. Mychael Rose is alright but at this point its Sly and Robbie for me as far as representing the roots. Last year was special and this year we get Shaggy?!?!? Where's Willie Williams? Burning Spear? Sheeesh, at least bring back Toots or Don Carlos again... Just my thoughts. I got my ticket, I know I'll still have a good time but the lineup might not hold up to the last few years, IMHO.

Barrington Levy will not be "bored" at this show and he is oldschool/singjay dancehall...same with Josy Wales (polar opposites Sizzla/Capleton types). Not trying to start beef, but do you even know who these guys are? The Tamlins, John Holt, Horace Andy, Clinton Fearon (a la The Gladiators), U Roy....all old school roots classical niceness.
March 24, 2014 02:26PM

Mychael Rose is alright but at this point its Sly and Robbie for me as far as representing the roots.

Well, now you are going to have a dilemma because Sly & Robbie will be backing Mykal Rose. You say 'last year was special and this year we get shaggy'? To me, Damian and that entire set was far more 'dancehall' flavor than Shaggy (who I consider to be more 'pop' than dancehall).

From my perspective, Chuck Fenda is probably the only real 'dancehall' artist (though Barrington, Jahdan and Kabaka sometimes come off sounding a bit like dancehall at times).....
March 24, 2014 02:28PM
The lineup is great this year. No complaints from me at all - how could there be? And just in case you might think I might be a dancehall fan, read some of my past posts in the subject - all the regular posters on this phorum know my stance on dancehall (stresshall).
March 24, 2014 02:33PM
If you guys add any more roots acts that i'm going to want to see i don't know what i will do. If Josy Wales is dancehall like Briggy was, BRING IT ON! I'm counting 15 acts i want to videotape, and that's not physically possible for me. Personally i'm hoping any further additions are world acts so i can take a breather. My list goes kinda like this: Shaggy, Tarrus Riley, Bitty McLean, Mykal Rose, Horace Andy, Sly and Robbie, U roy, Morgan Heritage, John Holt, Clinton Fearon, Hollie Cook, Kabaka Pyramid, Josey Wales, The Tamlins, Anuhea, Chuck Fenda, Zvuloon Dub System......heck thats seventeen, too many. Something will be a conflict, and exhaustion will eliminate one or two.

Def not too much dancehall though.

Love that reggae!
March 24, 2014 03:17PM
i think we can all agree that there is alot of dancehall on the lineup this year, as long as we go with the thinking:

"the dancehall is a place where people go to dance to the reggae, and therefore all reggae is, dancehall music.... "

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
March 24, 2014 03:28PM
Nomo. You had better get in shape because 1) you've listed a lot of artists you want to see; and, 2) there will be 'no conflicts' with any of the 17 you've stated a desire to see.....
March 24, 2014 03:38PM
aargh....another great year!

Love that reggae!
March 24, 2014 03:50PM
Yo Nomo - check yer PM's winking smiley

March 24, 2014 03:52PM
ha I jumped all the way through Barringtons set. hit after hit!
Shaggy's latest album is ALL ROOTS VIBES...

as for last year, I thought the whole GYC set was weak at best... but hey, that's mi!

see You there!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 24, 2014 04:53PM
Go do your homework stoned-monkey! Burning spear doesnt play anymore. Toots hasnt played since the bottle incident. Don carlos is alwAys a last minute sub cuz he lives in california. So he will be therer every few years. This is the greatest lineup ever. U have 2 stages to choose from.
March 24, 2014 05:54PM
jcom
I smell a troll. They both have 1 post each.

thumbs up
March 24, 2014 06:54PM
Sorry to tell u but Burning Spear stills performs ...
March 24, 2014 10:59PM
A lot of dancehall is crap. But there is a lot of good conscious dancehall that isn't that different from roots in its message or vibe. I'm a big roots fan who is also into conscious dancehall and I have no problem with this year's lineup, especially after today's additions.
March 25, 2014 08:10AM
THE LAST THING I ASSOCIATE WITH SNWMF is the current style & fashion in contemporary Jamaican dance hall music. I found this an odd comment to make...and let's remember the old truth regarding music from this island: at one time, it was ALL 'dance hall music'.
March 25, 2014 09:24AM
This is a funny thread. I was thinking we needed more dancehall. Reading down the lineup I count about 4 dancehall artists.
March 25, 2014 11:44AM
Line-up isn't even complete yet and I'm tryin to compare it to last year, but can't!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
March 25, 2014 01:48PM
Perfectly well balanced line-up I would say. Plenty of great Roots,-classic and modern. Also many Reggae artists and fans don't necessarily make a distinction,-at the end of the day its all Reggae. Is Uroy a roots or a dancehall artist? The answer is that he is the original for all dancehall Mcs/Djs and he brings a heavy roots vibe. How bout' Taurus Riley,-he does some dancehall style stuff and he has his "gimme likkle one drop" roots style to. And in the literal dancehall do you think there is any chance that any of the great sound systems both local and international will drop some heavy roots tunes at various points. Yes of course they will and it will be great. If you want straight up pure roots on the stage you'll get it repeatedly on a high level throughout the wknd: John Holt, Morgan Heritage, Horace Andy, etc. Also there is such a thing as a roots sound system i.e a sound system that plays mostly roots music with mcs/djs that rock the mic inna roots style. Jah Love sound system would b an example, come to think of it the one Brigadier Jerry one of if not the greatest mc/dj of all time has appeared both on stage and in the dancehall at SNWMF to great effect. Kabbaka Pyramid who you may label a dancehall artist has some of the best rootsy one drop tunes on all of the one drop mixes going around as well. Silly complaints about what looks like one of the most well balanced high quality festivals imaginable. I say kudos to the organizers for great work!
March 25, 2014 03:30PM
Bigup yuhself, Idris! Well said! A silly complaint indeed!
March 25, 2014 03:55PM
Idris

Perfectly well balanced line-up I would say. Plenty of great Roots,-classic and modern.......Silly complaints about what looks like one of the most well balanced high quality festivals imaginable. I say kudos to the organizers for great work!

thumbs upthumbs up
March 25, 2014 03:59PM
A Dewey Cox Situation ~> eye popping smiley

[www.youtube.com]

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
March 25, 2014 04:07PM
Is Anthony B considered dancehall?

Love that reggae!
March 25, 2014 06:27PM
Feel free to call me ignorant but I consider straight-up dancehall artists to be like Mavado, Popcaan, Future Fambo, Beenie Man, Buju Banton, Vybz, Cham, Gyptian, Khago, Adonia, Elephant Man, Tony Matterhorn etc, etc. etc. Even some of these artists release more rootsy tunes. I am def not feelin that vibe with the SNWMF 2014 list of artists.

Imma throw out yet another solid approval for the line up. See y'all there.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
March 25, 2014 08:57PM
DJ Treez
Feel free to call me ignorant but I consider straight-up dancehall artists to be like Mavado, Popcaan, Future Fambo, Beenie Man, Buju Banton, Vybz, Cham, Gyptian, Khago, Adonia, Elephant Man, Tony Matterhorn etc, etc. etc. Even some of these artists release more rootsy tunes. I am def not feelin that vibe with the SNWMF 2014 list of artists.

Imma throw out yet another solid approval for the line up. See y'all there.

Gyptian...i wouldnt call you ignorant , but Gyptian .... I just got a second or third laugh out of this thread
March 25, 2014 09:48PM
It's interesting that the original poster has gotten such a fight here. Of course, there are as many definitions and destictions within any musical artform that people chose to create in written or verbal form. In this case, it seems, IrieMono hears Jamaican music as either "classic roots" or not. Any modern music which is not an approximation or sonic and lyrical equivilent of "classic roots", IrieMono for simplicity and brevity or other, simply refers to as "Dancehall".

Accepting the above categorization, it appears IrieMono is infact correct. Horace Andy, Clinton Fearon, John Holt, URoy and perhaps Zvuloon Dub System and Sly & Robbie are "classic roots", the other 21 announced artists are not "classic roots".

Nomo - yes, Anthony B is considered "dancehall" by most fans and journalist definitions.
March 26, 2014 06:53AM
HI*FI
It's interesting that the original poster has gotten such a fight here. Of course, there are as many definitions and destictions within any musical artform that people chose to create in written or verbal form. In this case, it seems, IrieMono hears Jamaican music as either "classic roots" or not. Any modern music which is not an approximation or sonic and lyrical equivilent of "classic roots", IrieMono for simplicity and brevity or other, simply refers to as "Dancehall".

Accepting the above categorization, it appears IrieMono is infact correct. Horace Andy, Clinton Fearon, John Holt, URoy and perhaps Zvuloon Dub System and Sly & Robbie are "classic roots", the other 21 announced artists are not "classic roots".

Nomo - yes, Anthony B is considered "dancehall" by most fans and journalist definitions.

splitting hairs i guess.. but most consider anthony B a culture artist who mainly rides one drop riddims. one drop in this day refers to riddims with the standard reggae skank.
March 26, 2014 04:36PM
No need to worry, more crucial "classic roots" by any definition will very likely be added to the festival like every other blessed year to join the already stellar line-up of roots, world music, and dancehall! I'm sure we could all list some great late adds from years past including the IrieMono requested Don Carlos. At any rate the festival is looking great so far with still more announcements to come so I don't buy the "last year was special and this year we get Shaggy" the festival is falling off take. No this year is special to and we get Uroy, John Holt, Kabbaka Pyramid, Morgan Heritage, Jah Dan Blackamore, Sly and Robbie, etc, etc!
March 26, 2014 04:42PM
Thing is you never know who is going to grab you or come out with some blowout performance, all a them artists are capable.

Love that reggae!
March 26, 2014 05:32PM
Roots and Culture vs. Dancehall....although there is plenty of roots and culture in the dancehall, and always has been. This thread just seems silly.
March 26, 2014 07:32PM
I am just curious, which artists are considered dancehall that are on this years lineup??
March 26, 2014 07:34PM
This years lineup is full of ROOTS IMHO
March 26, 2014 09:04PM
Ready for another great year! Lineup is always creative and killer!
March 27, 2014 09:28AM
@Rossta - Pretty much none. only Chuck Fenda, as Daniel said, could be considered dancehall, and he's more in the roots/conciousness vein (and he's really good live, so don't sleep). Josey Wales and U-Roy are pioneers of dancehall, but don't typify the modern style.
March 27, 2014 09:56AM
There are plenty of dancehall artistes on the bill - you young 'uns just don't realize it - John Holt, Barrington Levy, Josey Wales, U Roy...

or did you think they were not "dancehall" because they all have talent?
March 27, 2014 11:41AM
I guess I just don't consider those artists dancehall Walter, I think of the more modern current artists like Buju and Sizzla
March 27, 2014 12:25PM
rossta8888
I guess I just don't consider those artists dancehall Walter, I think of the more modern current artists like Buju and Sizzla

what veterans in this game are trying to explain is that there are a couple definitions of 'dancehall' artist in play here.

specifically..

1. dancehall artist in the traditional/classic sense - correct
2. dancehall artist in the california/90210 sense - wrong

go back and read through the thread..
March 27, 2014 01:58PM
Too funny! Definitions change and styles evolve. What was dancehall in decades past is not what it has come to represent today, with the modern "one-drop" (I hate using that term to describe it when in the past it meant something completely different, and was one of the standard roots riddims that gave reggae it's "uniqueness" ) thrown in time and again. Curious as to what the younger folks call the digi artists of the 80's? IMO that was when dancehall became a genre of it's own, but many of those artists were roots guys prior to the 80's...

As HiGrade mentioned earlier (pretty sure that was a Bunny quote?), if you can dance to it....

See you guys in the festihall

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 02:01PM by Dubguy.
March 27, 2014 02:36PM
Dubguy
What was dancehall in decades past is not what it has come to represent today, with the modern "one-drop" (I hate using that term to describe it when in the past it meant something completely different, and was one of the standard roots riddims that gave reggae it's "uniqueness" ) thrown in time and again.

Just got back from Jamaica...In the taxi to Negril the radio was blaring "Everybody Do The One-Drop" by QQ and I'm thinking, where's the skank? Guess I'm a lickle outta touch, nah?. ha ha

March 27, 2014 02:49PM
I dunno John but that video definitely has some 'skank' to it, though I'm sure it's a different skank than what you were referring to.......
March 27, 2014 03:52PM
JA Music History:

pre-1700 - Traditional African music dominates and gives rise to the earliest JA Folk songs (circa 1700). Calypso, also informed by Traditional African music, arises in Trinidad & Tobago (circa 1820) and, along with JA Folk songs, gives rise to Mento music in JA (circa 1865).

Meanwhile, in the US Traditional african music gives rise to a succession of music genres - Spirituals (circa 1800), which gives birth to the Blues and Gospel music (mid-1800s). Blues music, along with Marching Band and African Traditional music, gives birth to Jazz (circa 1910) which gives birth to R&B (circa 1940).

Back to JA, where in the mid-50s, Mento and American R&B give rise to Ska. Ska begats Rocksteady around 1960 and Reggae follows in the late-60s. Dub rises around 1970 and Dancehall music first rises in the mid-70s. Dancehall give rise to Ragga in the mid-80s.

All dates are '-ish' (approximations).
March 27, 2014 03:58PM
Exactly, there is no dancehall on the lineup this year. Chuck fender is a stretch to call dancehall in the modern sense of the word, but a lot of younger artists sing roots music dancehall music, even American music ( generally to our dismay )

Rhythmwize

Just got back from Jamaica...In the taxi to Negril the radio was blaring "Everybody Do The One-Drop" by QQ and I'm thinking, where's the skank? Guess I'm a lickle outta touch, nah?. ha ha

March 27, 2014 04:35PM
Interesting side note:

At SNWMF in Frogtown, Buju opened with his conscious/spiritual stuff, then remarked, "Now we're entering the dancehall" and busted out his more hardcore stuff.

Seems dancehall means different things to different folks.

John, one drop? Serious? I must be out if touch too.
March 27, 2014 04:52PM
SCRoots
Chuck fender is a stretch to call dancehall in the modern sense of the word...

Nail hit squarely on the head with the reference to the "modern sense of the word".

Music never stands still, it's always evolving. What they danced to in the hall in 1979 is vastly different than the music played in the saem hall last week. Both audiences referred to what they were listening to as "Dancehall" music.
March 27, 2014 05:46PM
Hahaha, yeah, watching the 'Do The One Drop' vid reminded me of New Orleans' Big Frieda----

smiling bouncing smileyBOUNCE!! BOUNCE!! BOUNCE!!-BOUNCE-BOUNCE-BOUNCE-BOUNCE!smiling bouncing smiley
March 27, 2014 06:45PM
Daniel
I dunno John but that video definitely has some 'skank' to it, though I'm sure it's a different skank than what you were referring to.......

I take it you are referring to all the skanks shaking their asses for the camera. That was my first thought too.
March 27, 2014 10:22PM
Tarrus gets it right:

So does Lloyd with this mix:

Aside from the obvious Bob track, these are the only two that show up after 3 pages of searching on YouTube that are NOT related to twerking to the bump, bump, bump. So sad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 10:31PM by Dubguy.
March 28, 2014 12:26PM

This is a great newer One Drop style mix by the Heatwave out of England that includes Tarrus's "Gimme Likkle One Drop" and many other excellent tunes! Yaadcore's Reggae Revival mix series is on a similiar vibe and also very high quality and can also be found on soundcloud! Great posts from everyone on this thread. Thanks for posting Tarrus "Gimme Likkle One Drop" vid Dubguy,-I love that one! And love the history breakdown Walter it makes me think of the origin and history of sound systems and dancehall in Jamaica and how sound systems were originally playing R n B records from the U.S and then Ska records after Ska was born along with Jamaican independance and then of course Rocksteady and Reggae, etc. Also cool how the original mic chatters/chanters like Uroy, King Stitt, Count Machuki, etc were rhyhming and chatting and freestyling over the records in the dancehall originally inspired by the U.S radio R n B Djs chatting, free styling, and jive talking over records on the radio(and then Kool Herc brought two turntables and a mic sound system culture from Jamaica to the South Bronx and hip hop was born). Because record players/radio's were not widely owned the sound systems big and small acted like a kind of radio station creating major excitement/ entertainment for the music loving public in the dancehalls and beyond. Duke Reid's original sound system began when he started dropping records outside his wife's grocery store and later the Treasure Isle liquor store to attract customers. So definitely sound system and dancehall has been there from the beginning and all styles roar in the dancehall and styles blend, riddims live forever and get voiced over and over by successive generations and when we get to hear and experience the highest quality of all the manifestations of Reggae at SNWMF we give thanks!
March 29, 2014 03:13PM
Didn't Bunny Wailer say he's king of the dancehall. (From Bob Marley and the Wailers, how can u get more roots). The lines are blurred. It's all in the wording like a politician or lawyer.
April 01, 2014 10:51AM
The girls in that One Drop need to drop more than just one....I'd say they need to drop about 25 - 50. ; )

video: [www.youtube.com]
April 01, 2014 10:52AM
The girls in that One Drop vid need to drop more than just one....I'd say about 25 - 50. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2014 10:54AM by jcom.
April 01, 2014 07:50PM
this thread is great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login