Advanced

john holt

Posted by alanlery 
john holt
March 28, 2014 08:20PM
is Fully Fulwood backing up John Holt
Re: john holt
April 10, 2014 01:55PM
Recommendations for some John Holt music? I just picked up the Further you Look and Dusty roads, any other albums that can be recommended.

Thanks in advance!
April 10, 2014 02:57PM
police in helicopter (greensleeves/arrival label)

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
April 10, 2014 02:57PM
Meets the Wailers

Showcase
AJ
April 10, 2014 02:58PM
rossta8888
Recommendations for some John Holt music? I just picked up the Further you Look and Dusty roads, any other albums that can be recommended.

Thanks in advance!

check out.......
Police in Helicopter ....Greensleeves label
The High Is High ~ Anthology 1962-1979 ...import Trojan label 2 cd set
also anything by The Paragons
You can't go wrong with these............winking smiley
April 10, 2014 03:21PM
Please no more Police in Helicopter....please.....
April 10, 2014 03:32PM
J_72
Please no more Police in Helicopter....please.....

quoted for truthiness!

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 10, 2014 03:46PM
I was talking about the LP...so yes, police in helicopter!

I love me some of the tunes on there. chanting is big -- had to get that one on 7".

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
April 10, 2014 03:54PM
if you're not familiar, the police in helicopter LP features:

backing vocals by al campbell, tamlins and tony tuff
backing band is the radics -- essential music!
produced by junjo

it's a killer combination.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
April 10, 2014 04:20PM
mosquito killer
chanting is big -- had to get that one on 7".

thumbs up

and with the 90 degree temps this past weekend, the comical Beach Party got a play spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Fully is backing John Holt - at least down this way. Another

Junor Francis production!

$24.99 ----> too funny

AKA
April 10, 2014 04:51PM
HI*FI
mosquito killer
chanting is big -- had to get that one on 7".

thumbs up

and with the 90 degree temps this past weekend, the comical Beach Party got a play spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Fully is backing John Holt - at least down this way. Another

Junor Francis production!

$24.99 ----> too funny

1,000,000 girls in the bikini, on the beach?? That's more than a 1/3 of the entire Jamaican population! What a day at the beach that must have been.

Don't think anybody mentioned "A Love I Can Feel". A pretty classic and well loved Studio One Lp from 1970.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2014 04:55PM by AKA.
April 10, 2014 07:18PM
holt is one of the select few who found success with both treasure isle and studio one (along with the likes of alton ellis).

in holt's case though some of his work is somewhat disguised. although he's credited for all his work at studio one, when you look for him at treasure isle, start with the paragons.

and if you look you'll see that it was this era and these songs that u-roy used to rocket to his first hits and heights.

of course there is some of holt himself at treasure isle. one of the biggest of all big foundation tunes.

and this giant alongside joya landis

but don't get the idea that his studio one business is something less. absolute foundation material -- meaning it is among the actual pillars of the music. this is no doubt one of the most versioned of all the blueprints:

others have posted his early 80s business which is well-known in the western US, so i won't dig there.

among his next shots would be this late 80s piece for Jammys. still a big tune and recenly covered by Christopher Martin.

April 10, 2014 08:40PM
rossta8888

Thanks in advance!

Hi rossta8888,

His 1000 Volts of Holt album is an absolute must have classic! Any of his brilliant work in the Rocksteady era with The Paragons is also a good place to start. He has so many, many great songs. Can't wait to see him this year!
Peace,
Bagga.....
April 10, 2014 09:37PM
MK, I bet the album is great, as is Mr. Holt. Just burned out on that song, although some chanting on a dub would sound nice.
April 10, 2014 10:02PM
This one J72 -

AJ
April 11, 2014 06:53AM
J 72...................please check your private message
April 28, 2014 02:55AM
rossta8888

Thanks in advance!

Besides the albums previously mentioned by other posters on this thread, I also like Holt's "Time Is The Master" album. It's different in that it has an orchestra on some songs, but they really bring out the feeling/vibe of the songs. It's listed as one of the top 100 albums of all time by Steve Barrow/Peter Dalton, and I would have to agree. A unique reggae album. Holt also has a 4 CD anthology called "His Story" that really covers a lot of his best material, including two great covers of The Beatles' "Imagine" and Hey Jude"(!).

As for individual songs, besides songs others have listed, I like "OK Fred", "It's A Jam In The Street", "I Don't Want To See You Cry", "Strange Things", "Holy Holy", "Stick By Me" (probably his most famous song), "Peacemaker", and "You Never Know", the latter two being some of the best of his newer material.

Been listening to him a lot lately, and really getting more and more excited to finally see the legend in person...
April 28, 2014 01:09PM
Thanks for all the knowledge! Want to check out his music before his set at SNWMF this year! Appreciate you all.
June 16, 2014 12:43PM
Sad to say John Holt didn't make this show and there was a note from the promoter that he was hospitalized.

June 16, 2014 01:00PM
It is my understanding that mr. Policeinhelicopter holt is baked by sly and robbie.
June 16, 2014 01:18PM
John Holt was hospitalized last week and underwent an operation. He was discharged on Thursday and is now at home resting and recuperating so that he can make the sojourn to California to perform at SNWMF on Saturday....
June 16, 2014 05:45PM
C'mon J-72, Police in Helicopter may be a played out song, but to see it sang live for the 1st (& maybe only) time by the original John Holt is a MUST!!!

Bring on "Police in Helicopter"!
June 16, 2014 06:42PM
Reggabe, due to John Holt's current health condition I will refrain from making anymore comments about the song Police in Helicopter.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login