Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Randall Grass on Yabby You project

Posted by ras2thebone 
Randall Grass on Yabby You project
April 02, 2014 12:12PM
Re: Randall Grass on Yabby You project
April 02, 2014 02:35PM
Very happy to hear that there will be a 3 CD set released of Yabby You's music, and I cannot wait to buy this. I agree 100% with Randall Grass that Yabby is very underrated, and deserves to be recognized amongst the elite roots reggae artists. Hopefully this set will get Yabby You the full recognition he always deserved, but never got in his lifetime. And even though I already own most of what is possible to find of Yabby's music (the Blood and Fire releases are pure gold), this upcoming release will be well worth it for the unreleased songs that are mentioned in the article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2014 09:18PM by YabbyYouFan.
April 02, 2014 04:06PM
If Randall Grass is involved, it will be a very good project. ...Remember 'Fleeing from the City' being a steady request on my Dallas show in early 90's.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2014 04:28PM by papaken.
April 02, 2014 05:36PM
"The Prophets - Thanks and Praise" is said to be Clinton Fearon singing lead vocal. I hope someone can play this for Clinton Fearon and ask him about it in the press tent this year.

[www.youtube.com]

Is the singer thought to be Half Pint singing the same "King of Kings" lyrics as Wayne Wade?

[www.youtube.com]
April 03, 2014 04:58PM
papaken
If Randall Grass is involved, it will be a very good project. ...Remember 'Fleeing from the City' being a steady request on my Dallas show in early 90's.
Ken were you on the public radio station ? Knon?
I remember taping those Saturday night shows
I remember a woman and an African guy being the main hosts.

On my rinky dink phone. So excuse the typing.
April 03, 2014 09:23PM
Yeah B Vein, KNON. Late 80's early 90's, there is a Ghanian by the name of Tunde Obazey who was frontman for the Dallas band 'Code Red' and he held down Thursday nights on KNON-'Strictly Reggae' 11:00 to 1:00 am. Tunde went home to Ghana for about a year an a half so I was the guest dj there along with my buddy Devero....

I was really tied into KNON more through Jah Larry -who was on Tuesdays from 11:00 to 12:00afternoons- and JAH Stacy who would come on Mondays and Tuesdays. Back then, there was reggae on KNON every day or night of the week and there was a very nice scene.Jah Stacy and Larry and I had kept in touch over the ten plus years I had been in Arizona and Hawaii. Linking up at all the big shows ever since I had known reggae and especially reggae in Dallas, Stacy and Larry had been there, cooler than cool. Right after I moved back from Hawaii, in 1998, I went up to the station and sat in on JAH Stacy's spot-he seemed very pensive and I asked him if there was something wrong and he replied, 'yeah mon papken, tinking the time for me to go to Zion.' About a year later, at Hermann's blues, I ran into Jah Larry at a Culture show and he informed me that Stacy had passed(a stroke) not long after I had been up there at the station.

I don't know a whole lot about what is going on up in Dallas now but your question brought back some bitter -mostly sweet-memories.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
April 03, 2014 09:42PM
big up ken.. its quite possible i recorded your show.. i know for sure i recorded 'Tunde Obazey'.. but i remember always getting irked when he went on some Ethiopian African music run. its at that point i would stop the tape and continue from that point come next week.

for some reason i always remember the show only coming on saturdays.. but i only started listening in 1990 when i first moved to dallas from san diego.

at age 16, circa 1992 i remember sneaking out to the royal rack.. jones and the africans let me in and let me spin tunes.. i remember running all those shabba and hip hop reggae tunes from that time.. in 95 i moved back to san diego.. i remember visiting 'the rack' back in 1999 and my picture was still up on the wall.. man... good times...

i passed by the same area on lower greenville a few years ago.. i think the rack is now some other club..

papaken
Yeah B Vein, KNON. Late 80's early 90's, there is a Ghanian by the name of Tunde Obazey who was frontman for the Dallas band 'Code Red' and he held down Thursday nights on KNON-'Strictly Reggae' 11:00 to 1:00 am. Tunde went home to Ghana for about a year an a half so I was the guest dj there along with my buddy Devero....

I was really tied into KNON more through Jah Larry -who was on Tuesdays from 11:00 to 12:00afternoons- and JAH Stacy who would come on Mondays and Tuesdays. Back then, there was reggae on KNON every day or night of the week and there was a very nice scene.Jah Stacy and Larry and I had kept in touch over the ten plus years I had been in Arizona and Hawaii. Linking up at all the big shows ever since I had known reggae and especially reggae in Dallas, Stacy and Larry had been there, cooler than cool. Right after I moved back from Hawaii, in 1998, I went up to the station and sat in on JAH Stacy's spot-he seemed very pensive and I asked him if there was something wrong and he replied, 'yeah mon papken, tinking the time for me to go to Zion.' About a year later, at Hermann's blues, I ran into Jah Larry at a Culture show and he informed me that Stacy had passed(a stroke) not long after I had been up there at the station.

I don't know a whole lot about what is going on up in Dallas now but your question brought back some bitter -mostly sweet-memories.
May 13, 2014 12:31AM
Greetings roots reggae lovers …

This an up^date on the soon-come triple CD long-box release - with extensive booklet writings and artworks

working title: ‘THE YABBY YOU STORY’

I been fortunate to be asked to collaborate on this project with some studio master tape archives Yabby placed in me trust - as well as contribute some writings of little known history of Yabby’s runnings

I have no financial stake in these works other than the intention to help support Yabby’s surviving family. As to the integrity of this project -> me know Yabby carries a profound message, unique from all the other pioneers from the Golden Age of Roots Reggae and me know this message need be documented for the present and future generations.

For example … few in the world know that in Yabby’s home parish of Clarendon, people called him - ‘Ajax’ and accorded him the respect of an indigenous chief … this story of him being named Ajax is a history and a teaching in itself.

Likewise this a labor of luv for Randall Grass & Shanachie Music … To those who question the integrity and intention of the brother from Shanachie putting this project together … Know this: Being a music producer is a different thing from being an audiophile or music collector - those aware of the reality of the present day music marketplace -> this not a money thing for Shanachie … it is Shanachie putting untold hours of time, energy & moneys into it with the intention of historical preservation for the future generations and to help Yabby’s surviving family.

Let not anyone be too quick to assume this is a thankless work for Shanachie for they now reciprocating in their deep respect of Jamaican culture in general, roots reggae in particular and Yabby You specifically.

However to the audiophiles and collectors … regardless certain edgy vibes - your input is still appreciated and weighed in the balance. Be assured this release will contain nuff previously unreleased songs of the highest possible audio fidelity.

Shanachie is still digging deep into the audio-archeology of Yabby’s archives. Unfortunately some of the studio tapes have disintegrated due to the difficulty of ghetto peoples storing the old tapes in climate and temperature controlled conditions. Realize we talking about some rare tracks due to the suffrah reality of Yabby often running his own label during the pioneer era of roots reggae – nuff of these songs were on very limited 7” release – ie. limited runs of 40 pressings. Furthermore, few of the surviving tapes have credits or track sheet info (Yabby’s filing system was between his ears) so this really is an audio-archeology labor of luv.

Some are commenting they feel it unfortunate that the forthcoming Shanachie release will only be a CD and not vinyl. >> Suggest keep tings in perspective and give thanx this project come at all so that the message will be preserved for future generations.

Just as if more Dead Sea Scrolls and Naghamadi Scrolls were to be discovered - what sense would it be to gripe that you cannot get your copy on parchment … times change and this the digi age.

Yabby was much more than just a unique singer songwriter. He identified himself as a Prophet like the prophets from the Days of Old. This was not an idle claim for when you read more of his history in the accompanying booklet, you will see Yabby was what the Jamaicans call a 4 Eyes (a.k.a. the gift of Second Sight). Yabby called his label ‘Prophet’ and he named nuff man prophet – ie. Michael Prophet, Curtis Prophet. Good thing tho he named Half Pint – Half Pint because a Half Prophet would have gone flat.smiling smiley

This project quite likely will be the only book to be written about Yabby until we get to see the Book of Life. So if you support Yabby message and you want a heap of rare and unreleased musics - mi suggest you support this release.
====<><><><>====
inna di good cheer
A. Peacemaker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 01:41AM by Peacemakeya.
May 13, 2014 09:54PM
Hey AP, thanks for the update on this crucial upcoming Yabby You release. I'm looking forward to the booklet as well as all material gathered for this release. I've researched Yabby's life story as much as I could over many years, and am fascinated with his story and his philosophies, and so I'm looking forward to learning more about him through unreleased music and the booklet writings about his life.

I have 2 questions about this upcoming project: will there be songs included that he produced for other artists, such as Michael Prophet, Trinity, Wayne Wade, etc? Also, will there be a DVD included that has footage of Yabby, such as a concert (such as footage from his 2000 SNWMF performance), or of him talking or working with other artists? There has to be some recordings of Yabby out there from his SNWMF performance. That would be amazing to see, but if not, no worries as I'm just grateful that Yabby is going to get this well deserved release in the first place...

And as for Randall Grass/Shanachie label, he did an outstanding job on the Augustus Pablo 4 CD, 1 DVD set "The Mystic World Of Augustus Pablo". That is a treasure chest of top notch music, photos, and info in the booklet...so I have no doubts in my mind about how good this upcoming Yabby You release will be based upon the Augustus Pablo release.

Many thanks to you and Randall for taking on this labor of love project. You know I will support this the best I can, and it's very righteous of you both to be taking on a project of a person that spoke the truth, yet was too real and too far ahead of his time to be understood fully...it's sad how a guy like Yabby doesn't get the respect he deserved while others (like mainstream radio junk) get the credit and financial rewards with a message that doesn't have half the realness of Yabby...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login