Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Artists who start fast and plateau...

Posted by akee123 
Artists who start fast and plateau...
April 11, 2014 11:52PM
Back when Anthony B was becoming popular it looked like we had a Tosh-like artist in the dancehall. Big things were expected for him....but he has not been able to gain anymore traction than what he had during his early work. How come? Was he fortunate to hit on a couple big tunes early on which may have overstated his promise?

Same with Everton Blender.....
Re: Artists who start fast and plateau...
April 12, 2014 12:31AM

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 12, 2014 12:49AM
The Willy Wonka response is so 2012...
April 12, 2014 01:22AM
Huh?

By your standard, seems like many are in the same boat. Sizzla, Damien Marley, Luciano, and pretty much any artist who busts on the scene fit the same description you laid out.

As for Anthony B, he may not have as many standout anthems as when he first bussed out, but I feel he has gotten better and better as a live performer.
April 12, 2014 04:11AM

Back when Anthony B was becoming popular it looked like we had a Tosh-like artist in the dancehall. Big things were expected for him....but he has not been able to gain anymore traction than what he had during his early work. How come? Was he fortunate to hit on a couple big tunes early on which may have overstated his promise?

I'm not sure I would agree that he was ever a 'tosh-like artist. I would say Anthony B has and continues to be a very strong performer but, you are correct that the quality of his musical recordings are not what they were back in the early '90s. To me, the reason why is a simple one that can be said with 2 words: RICHARD BELL.

Producers used to be the 'gatekeepers' of good quality music back in the day, and I've personally seen Bello work with young artists getting them to hone their skills both in terms of singing and writing quality lyrics, something that seems to be almost totally absent in these times. Dean Frasier is one of the few left nowadays. Whether it's Tarrus Riley, Duane Stephenson or any other artist that DF works with, what you get is always heavy on the QUALITY....
April 12, 2014 04:08PM
Some artists def but not Anthony B, his performance last year 4/26/13 upstairs at the Regency in SF was EPIC
April 12, 2014 05:58PM
Anthony B is still toppa top!!!
April 13, 2014 01:15PM
Daniel

I'm not sure I would agree that he was ever a 'tosh-like artist. I would say Anthony B has and continues to be a very strong performer but, you are correct that the quality of his musical recordings are not what they were back in the early '90s. To me, the reason why is a simple one that can be said with 2 words: RICHARD BELL.

Producers used to be the 'gatekeepers' of good quality music back in the day, and I've personally seen Bello work with young artists getting them to hone their skills both in terms of singing and writing quality lyrics, something that seems to be almost totally absent in these times. Dean Frasier is one of the few left nowadays. Whether it's Tarrus Riley, Duane Stephenson or any other artist that DF works with, what you get is always heavy on the QUALITY....

So on point...
April 13, 2014 01:53PM
Exactly Daniel!;
I rate Richard Bell alongside Fatis Burrell for consistent quality.
Probably why I have a more favorable liking to Jack Radics
April 13, 2014 03:42PM
anthony b is still putting out quality tune.. maybe not on the level of 'raid the barn' but quality tune still.. in terms of lyrics and delivery... i can check any of the latest Anthony b tune and come away inspired.
April 14, 2014 12:47PM
Anthony B 'Higher Meditation' is a good example of vibes w quality, thru & thru
April 14, 2014 09:50PM
Maybe it also has to do with the difference between a hungry artist and an artist who has had some years of success. My personal observation across the whole spectrum of music and art is that a young, struggling, "starving artist" is going to produce much more meaningful work, and take more risk, as compared to an artist with a measure of success. The successful artist starts listening to more people and advisors, and they listen less to their own inner thoughts and intuition.
April 14, 2014 10:05PM
SommerKind
Maybe it also has to do with the difference between a hungry artist and an artist who has had some years of success. My personal observation across the whole spectrum of music and art is that a young, struggling, "starving artist" is going to produce much more meaningful work, and take more risk, as compared to an artist with a measure of success. The successful artist starts listening to more people and advisors, and they listen less to their own inner thoughts and intuition.

well said. all too often it's true.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 14, 2014 10:44PM
maybe not on the level of 'raid the barn' but quality tune still

Agreed BV, and raid the barn was what , like '98 or '99? So what does that tell us about the man since? Yes, there are some sprinklings of quality tunes here and there and he plays so often on the west coast that he has successfully honed his skills as a live performer......okay I get it. I certainly would not put him in the same category as Everton Blender or Luciano, who are still putting out quality music on a more consistent basis.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
April 15, 2014 03:04AM
higrade stop being so 2012
April 15, 2014 03:07AM
Ken, don't you think Luciano and Mr. Blender leveled-out after the 90's and early 00's?

Peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2014 03:07AM by J_72.
April 15, 2014 03:30AM
Blender DEFINITELY did.

Tony B is one of my very favorite dancehall artists. Iyah Trod makes a really good point about Higher Meditations. As good an album as he has ever done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 12:33AM by Jah Mike.
April 15, 2014 02:23PM
This could apply to most artists. It's very difficult to keep making hits and stay relevant for an entire decade or more, especially with several different producers.
April 15, 2014 05:32PM
"Street Knowledge" from 2003 is a great album by Anthony B.
April 15, 2014 05:51PM
Ken, don't you think Luciano and Mr. Blender leveled-out after the 90's and early 00's?

No, not to the point where I wouldn't consider them consistent.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
April 15, 2014 06:09PM
I can't think of a single entertainer that this does not apply to.

This is why you see people playing Madison Square Garden today and your local State Fair tomorrow.

Perhaps artists who have died during their prime (so to speak) Bob Marley is one example. n
April 15, 2014 06:12PM
Anthony B is and has always been the most requested artist on my show.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login