Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Great Roots In Portland, OR

Posted by Jah Mike 
Great Roots In Portland, OR
April 13, 2014 07:07AM
Last night I was priveleged to see a really crucial show hear in PDX. It was the last of the 3 Mellow Moods concers at the Hawthorne Theater Lounge featuring Arkaingelle, Paapa Wastik, and Jesse Jendah.

Arkaingelle is an upcoming young artist from Guyana who got the crowd moving with positive lyrics and a sweet voice.He is one we should expect to hear more from.

For me the big surprise of the night was Paapa Wastik from Ghana. I have seen him a number of times in the past and have been less than impressed. He seemed arrogant and egotistical, without the kind of talent that would warrant ego or pride. Worst of all was his gratuitous homophobic lyrics, for which I have little tolerance. What a pleasant surprise to find out how much the man had grown. He abandoned the hate lyrics for some powerful and very genuine songs that came from the heart and put out nothing but good vibes, warmth, and humility. In addition he has been working on his vocal technique and his ability to project has become quite impressive. I am surprised to be writing this, but I am really looking forward to seeing Wastik again. It just goes to show that we can all grow and become better than what we currently are.

Finally was the great Jesse Jendah of Jamaica, alumnus of Fattis Burrell's Exterminator crew, the same lable that gave Sizzla and Luciano their start back in the early 90s. While he is not the household word that those two are, Congo Jesse Jendah is a formidable talent who has put out a number of big tunes. His performance was righteous, witty, and highly entertaining and he fully lived up to expectations.

All 3 artists were backed up by the very tight African Foundation Crew. A band put together for this show by veteran PDX bassis, Ryan, who long-time observers of the Portland Reggae scene was formerly of the great Upright Dub Orchestra.

Nuff respect again to the great Ras Danny for putting together another killer show. Big up yuhself, bredrin! Y'hear?
Re: Great Roots In Portland, OR
April 13, 2014 11:51PM
Every one must and can grow up. Bless up nice review. Bless Up Ras Danny and PDX family Big Up Waastik From I-Triniti .
April 14, 2014 06:28AM
was a really nice set by all involved...
it must be noted that I did not do this on my own.
Lindsay Love/Emet Entertainment was/is a full partner in these Mellow Mood events...
it has been a pleasure and an honor to work with Linds and the events were huge fun...
we're going to take a breather and reformulate a goal and strategy. stay tuned!

and yeah Mike, give thanks for that on point review... couldn'ta said it better!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2014 06:29AM by Ras Danny.
April 14, 2014 06:43PM
Nice to hear!

Was great seeing Clinton Fearon's acoustic set a couple months go. Many thanks!!
April 27, 2014 11:50AM
Great review, Jah Mike. I was hoping to go to that show, but darn work schedule prevented it. I used to really like Jesse Jendah's "Rude Boy Remember" tune back in the day, and still like it to this day. It would have been great to see that tune performed live, as well as what sounds like some other solid performers on the bill that night.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login