Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

overstimulated edm crowd cant sit thru music

Posted by Ras_Adam 
overstimulated edm crowd cant sit thru music
April 14, 2014 12:13PM
Re: overstimulated edm crowd cant sit thru music
April 14, 2014 04:57PM
What a sad state of affairs indeed. I think if the 'casual' fan that the author writes about were to see a band like Manu Chao or Seeed, they would have a great time. Personally, I can't stand techno music. I was pretty bummed a few years back to see Fat Freddy's Drop at SNWMF (2005?) headline Saturday night without a drummer or bassie. I know FFD isn't techno, but I walked after three songs because it was similar to a DJ set to me. I have enjoyed seeing Thievery Corp perform with a full band, which was amazing, but I would pass on their DJ set. Now, with all of that being said, I DO love me a good sound that can run the dance, but for me nothing comes close to a live band.
April 14, 2014 07:00PM
I think part of the problem is that Coachella is more hype than substance, meaning that it's the "place to be" for so-Cal scenesters, and not really on anyones "must-see" festival list. When they're paying celebrities to wear a particular clothing line at the festival (can you imagine someone getting paid to wear a certain brand at SNWMF? LOL), it's no longer about the music so much - it's just another Hollywood VIP party that happens to be outside of town. Had they saved the reunion for Rock the Bells or something I'm sure it would've gone over much more like they had imagined!
April 14, 2014 08:59PM
when i read this i was thinking about what dancehall show attendees who are used to 3 seconds of a song played then a pullup would feel about a dj playing entire songs ; )
a
April 15, 2014 12:22AM
it doesn't bother me in a "soundclash" where they usually jus play tunes til the punchline n wheel out....
but at a "dancehall show", it's all good for the selecta to play full tracks, as long as it keeps tings a bubblin....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 15, 2014 01:35AM
sounds like burning man crowd….the beginning of the end
April 15, 2014 01:58AM
I am so glad I passed up on that 400 coachella ticket. They are the only band I wanted to see. I hope the show in Napa at Bottlerock turns out better. Please!!!
April 15, 2014 07:51PM
Mikey J,

Comparing Fat Freddy's Drop to a techno DJ set? Too bad you didn't watch the whole thing, it was amazing and utilized a LIVE BAND (with full horns) with looping and sampling! Better than half the acts at SNWMF that year, live bands included.

There was an interesting article yesterday about how Coachella live rock bands were poorly attended this year while EDM acts were packed beyond capacity. The times a changing

Be well,
Eric V
April 15, 2014 11:04PM
I was bummed on their set because I really like their studio work and have seen a few Youtube videos of them live with a full band and was really looking forward to their set that year. I do recall the live horns and guitar which was nice. I guess I just love hearing a live bassie lock with a real drum kit...especially FOH mix at SNWMF!
April 15, 2014 11:40PM
eric v
..... live rock bands were poorly attended this year while EDM acts were packed beyond capacity. The times a changing

sounds like times are changing BACK.... back to the 90's when DJs ruled the world....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 16, 2014 10:35PM
HiGrade1
but at a "dancehall show", it's all good for the selecta to play full tracks, as long as it keeps tings a bubblin....

Exactly, that's the way I feel as well, but hey, music is an art form and the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm also a big fan of Groovy Music, that started in the 60's with my interest in jazz. You can't really get in the Groove if the song is only played for 25 seconds or so.

Groovy: The word originated in the jazz culture of the 1920s, in which it referred to the "groove" of a piece of music (its rhythm and "feel"winking smiley, plus the response felt by its listeners.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to EDM music, but surprisingly, I have discovered lots of EDM I like, especially as workout music...and some of it is actually pretty groovy! ha ha

Also, there is a sub-genre of Soca called Groovy Soca which is quite different from the more common up-tempo Jump and Wave or Power Soca that is the music of choice in the Carnival Parades.

Here's one of my favorite Groovy Soca tunes from the little island of Grenada:

April 17, 2014 02:19PM
"and have seen a few Youtube videos of them live with a full band and was really looking forward to their set that year"

Hmm, not sure what you saw on youtube, but Fat Freddy's Drop has never had a bassist or drummer. DJ Fitchie has always run the percussion off of an MPC since they began.

Be well,
eric v
April 17, 2014 09:45PM
You're right Eric. I must have thought they were a different band.
April 19, 2014 03:53AM
groovy soca…..interesting thanks.
April 21, 2014 05:06PM
randomguy2u
groovy soca…..interesting thanks.

Yeah, groovy soca appeals to Lovers, Potheads and Older People while most soca is alcohol-fueled for the crazy and wild younger folks with no behavior. Just a generalization of course..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 05:07PM by Rhythmwize.
April 21, 2014 06:20PM
are you sure thats tire? winking smiley
the reggae term was rent a tile(as in tile in the parquet ballroom floor)
a
April 21, 2014 09:58PM
Ras_Adam
are you sure thats tire? winking smiley
the reggae term was rent a tile(as in tile in the parquet ballroom floor)
a

Rent ah tire...that was wrong and kinda funny. Like in: "I 'd like to rent a four pack of tires today for my car"

If you read the comments on the youtube post the guy acknowleges the error, said it was mislabeled when he received the tune..

Didnt really know that was a reggae term, prehaps a universal term used throughout the English speaking Caribbean?. There are alot of them like that. Makes you wonder sometimes what they are talking about.
April 21, 2014 10:21PM
i was wondering if that was a real rent a tire shop....
May 19, 2014 10:36AM
May 28, 2014 06:46PM
Def silly, but there are parts I can relate to.

26 SIGNS YOU'VE OUTGROWN MUSIC FESTIVALS
1. You actually want to eat breakfast. Not snort it.
2. Your LSD trip is spent happily making a Venn diagram on future life plans. In the woods, away from all music, completely alone.
3. You realize your music tastes vary greatly from the majority. You stand bewildered in the midst of an arm-swaying, eyes-closed crowd asking, “What is this @#$%&?”
4. You no longer want to do business with the guy in patchwork velour pants. They’re hanging well below his ass. He’s itching his scalp. You can’t tell if he’s tan or dirty. No, you do not want to buy his mushroom chocolates. That he made in his kitchen. With his hands.
5. You start brainstorming ways to capitalize. How much is that kid in the Mexican blanket poncho willing to pay for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
6. You seem to be the only one here without their parents’ AMEX card.
7. You have an epiphany that all Grateful Dead music sounds the same.
8. You brought a book to catch up on during down time.
9. One night of intense partying is actually good enough. Buying a three-day ticket for $350 was maybe a little excessive.
10. You enjoy the late-night bands from the comfort of your sleeping bag.
11. You’re asked to take someone’s vital signs. They are not good.
12. You feel severely under-dressed. You didn’t know that a bindi, feathered headdress, and pleather vest were the required attire now.
13. You seem to be the only one capable of setting up a tent / making a respectable fire. Dude, that flicker of light you keep blowing on is a tad emasculating, no?
14. You’re wondering why no one wants to tour the art exhibit with you. “…Is that just someone’s drug tent?”
15. You’re perfectly content making papier-mâché masks in the family zone all day.
16. There’s no way in hell you’re going to swim in that pond.
17. You don’t see what the big deal is about glow sticks.
18. People start rolling around in mud. You’re appalled. That is manure, people.
19. You brought sunscreen.
20. You came to see a band you like. You offer no opinion on the ones you have not heard of.
21. You’re worried about contracting a UTI from the questionable foam they’re pumping into the dance tent. And from everything else. In general.
22. You see the irony in the abundance of plastic floral crowns at the “Save the Environment!” presentation.
23. You spend a lot of time wondering which country manufactured everyone’s clothes.
24. You keep hallucinating your Nana in the crowd. What is she doing over there by the hula hoops?
25. Tossing the inflatable whale around was fun the first six times. Now it is annoying.
26. It’s Sunday morning, and you are packed and absolutely ready to go.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 06:47PM by DJ Treez.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login