Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cali Roots vs SNWMF

Posted by westafari 
Cali Roots vs SNWMF
April 24, 2014 11:29PM
I just got an email that Cali Roots is completely sold out of day passes for Saturday and Sunday. That festival is not for another 8 weeks. That is nuts!!!!

How is it possible that SNWMF never sells out? The only difference in the usual SNWMF line-up compared to Cali Roots is the band 311. All of the bands that are playing in Monterey have played at Sierra multiple times.

The Monterey venue is one of the worst in Cali. and you have to take a shuttle way deep for camping (Laguna Seca) or stay in a crappy hotel room across the street from the Monterey Fairgrounds.

This is so weird to me. I am going to both festival and I really love the fact that Sierra is not selling out.

Bless it love!!!! Big up SNWMF!!!!
Re: Cali Roots vs SNWMF
April 24, 2014 11:59PM
I thought they had camping on site for Cali Roots? They didn't for Monterey Bay Reggae Fest, but only because they held it the same weekend as a horse show on the other side of the fairgrounds. I haven't been so don't know myself, but I thought someone had told me they camped there?

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
April 25, 2014 03:11AM
Prior years you were able to camp there but there is no camping this year. To be honest I don't know why they stopped with the camping.
April 25, 2014 04:28AM
SNWMF
April 25, 2014 11:19AM
What's even more nuts is that it's supposed to be double the amount of people as last year! (something like 18k people??) I thought it was too crowded last year at certain points. Plus they had some really bad bottleneck points that I hope get fixed this year. The huge drawback for me is no on site camping. The hotels across the street are all at least $200 a night which is nuts too. This festival has always been geared toward the reggae rock crowd and that's what is selling tickets right now. Cali roots is attended by a much younger crowd than snwmf. Definitely more of a high school vibe. Big up irie dan... He deserves all the success that's coming their way this year.
April 25, 2014 11:21AM
And it's actually less than a month away, not 8 weeks... Still nuts considering the capacity is up significantly from last year
April 25, 2014 11:38AM
location location location
April 25, 2014 03:10PM
They have a shuttle to Laguna Seca for camping. And when I was looking for motels a few months ago the price for the crappy motels across the street was around $500!! In my opinion Cali Roots doesn't compare in the least to SNWMF. What I don't get is, how can you put SOJA on the bill before Steel Pulse on one day and Rebelution before Ziggy Marley on the other? At least they put Damian in the right place.
April 25, 2014 05:24PM
because they are the "immediate reason" why the place is packed. How can Reggae on the River put Iration above Michael Rose? Bitty McLean? Muta? Has nothing to do with talent or contribution to the musical landscape and everything to do with the 75% of people who show up not knowing who is on the lineup beyond what their one friend who listens to reggae told them. Mind you I am not hating, I just realize that how good an act is means very little if only 25% of the paying crowd knows.
April 25, 2014 05:35PM
I agree with Ninja ... the reality is that in Cali these artists are much more popular with the kids. The average age at Cali Roots will probably be around 18yo ... those kids are very unfamiliar with the foundation artists let alone current JA artists. My friend throws the Cali Roots fest and is a lover of all reggae, but he has a very keen eye of what the youth are listening to today. That is why this festival should hit 15,000 in attendance this year.
ODB
April 25, 2014 06:12PM
Cali roots is full of san jose and bay area kids who have money for tickets, and are not really vested in reggae so much as are down to party as long as its local. The monterey fairgrounds is one of the nicest fairgrounds around, so not sure why anyone could knock it. The camping situation is horrible, laguna seca is a dangerous treck considering how many drunk kids that will be on the road, $ shuttle or not, the camping scene itself has no sense of community like you see SNWMF and ROTR.
The bands that play cali roots have almost all been to SNWMF, but only a few at a time, with the rest of the SNWMF lineup always focusing on true Roots and a mix of World music. Both roots and world music just don't have yhe same draw for the young crowd that is buying up tix for cali roots. As well Cali roots recieved major financial backing for advertising from Sierra Nevada Brewing co, Not sure why the disparity between the 2 fest with the same sponsor, but i heard Sierra Nevada gave cali roots a million dollar sponsorship investment last year. Every band went out of there way to thank Sierra Nevada vocally on stage, cementing the sponsorship for the future. I am curious why SN never helped SNWMF with this much sponsorship, but who knows.
The additional people for cali roots 18k is the reason for the return of the big stage at the fairground that was once a major part of shows at this venue.
That being said, i have attended both. Cali roots once and SNWMF since angels camp and they just arent even the same calliber of events. SNWMF is for the soul, cali roots is a kids version of a festival. No disrespect to the promoters intended.
April 25, 2014 06:15PM
ODB
they just arent even the same calliber of events. SNWMF is for the soul, cali roots is a kids version of a festival. No disrespect to the promoters intended.

Word. Apples & Oranges.
April 25, 2014 06:47PM
ODB
I am curious why SN never helped SNWMF with this much sponsorship, but who knows.
I don't think they have actually sponsored SNWMF since the 2nd year in Marysville, although they have been beer vendors off and on over the years. I could be wrong, but considering the name association it is curious why they don't contribute more - seems like a match made in heaven!

April 25, 2014 07:22PM
Sierra Nevada (the beer company) IS a sponsor for SNWMF...
April 25, 2014 08:02PM
Who cares !!!
April 25, 2014 08:11PM
Hey redeye, we care!!! This is a discussion forum. My bad Miguel, it is only 4 weeks away.
April 25, 2014 08:22PM
Cali Roots has completely outcompeted and replaced the Monterey Bay Reggae Fest. It's appealing to the youth and is managed well. It's an easy drive from the Bay Area, even for just a day. Nice website and regular e-mail updates. On Memorial Day weekend, too. I'm not going, but most of the high school kids I know are.
April 25, 2014 08:24PM
Miguel is total right .. I call that kind of music Cal-roots music .. The sound is different then what we hear at SNWMF ..roots music ..
April 25, 2014 08:47PM
DJ Spleece

Word. Apples & Oranges.

True true
April 25, 2014 09:38PM
Daniel
Sierra Nevada (the beer company) IS a sponsor for SNWMF...

As I said - I could be wrong! LOL - when did they return to the fold? As someone who spends considerable time in the taproom, I'll be sure to tell Ken thank you next time he pops by. winking smiley

April 25, 2014 09:53PM
Since 2011 I believe Dubguy......
April 25, 2014 10:43PM
Thanks for straightening me out Daniel. I hate to be spreading mis-information, especially when the right info is good news worth spreading!

April 28, 2014 08:20PM
SNWMF VS. Cali Roots = Kobe beef VS. Bologna

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
April 28, 2014 08:55PM
Good analogy Danny except you cant get Japanese Kobe beef in the USA.

[www.forbes.com]
April 29, 2014 01:23AM
According to Forbes magazine Japanese Kobe beef was made available to the U.S. in March 2013, as it had been illegal to import until then. and the USA recently deemed Bologna not food suitable for human consumption! yummy!

April 29, 2014 01:43AM
Nice. I do still like the analogy. Big up Sierra!!!
April 29, 2014 01:52AM
cool smiley SNWMF 4 LIFE!

April 29, 2014 04:20AM
Danny Crucial
SNWMF VS. Cali Roots = Kobe beef VS. Bologna

Love it! That pretty much sums it up...
May 08, 2014 11:46PM
Just got an email that Cali Roots 3 day passes, Saturday only, and Sunday only, are all completely sold out. Only Friday only tickets are available.

Looks like SOJA and Steep Pulse are having a hard time selling out Friday only. I wonder why? Rhetorical!!!!
May 09, 2014 01:20AM
Danny Crucial
cool smiley SNWMF 4 LIFE!

thumbs upthumbs up
May 09, 2014 03:57AM
I agree with most everything people are detailing about each fest. SNWMF is a great festival. It is my favorite. I work for it and love it dearly. I have never been to Cali Roots, but am going this year. I have been to MBRF before so I am familiar with the venue and like it. I have nothing but respect and admiration for Dan. He's taken his lumps, paid his dues, and gained wisdom from his mistakes. He and Amy make a formidable team. There are plenty of things to compare between the major reggae festivals in NorCal, but the music choice comes down to personal preference. The two fests are as Spleece said mostly apples and oranges...definitely in terms of demographic and radius they cover. They're two concentric rings that overlap a little bit in their music, demographic, and radius. One location is much much more accessible than the other. Besides both being at fairgrounds, they're in completely different settings. Plenty of people will not do that drive on the roads up to Sierra. Their major commanality is both are forwarding reggae music which is ultimately important to me. REGGAE FOR LIFE!!!!
May 09, 2014 09:10PM
There is nothing roots about these so called cali roots bands. It's a sad state of affairs when bands like Rebultion can sell out a venue while a true, authentic, Jamaican reggae band cannot.
May 11, 2014 07:12PM
Spot on Yellowberry. Spot on.
May 12, 2014 08:08AM
Sorry, but Rebelution is some of the cheesiest @#$%& I've ever heard. How they are headliners for any festival has me shaking my head....
May 12, 2014 05:05PM
I am sold and true to SNWMF. I love, love, love reggae & live in Santa Cruz, so this year I will be attending friday @ Cali. Bringing our kids (9) & (7) like we do to all of the festivals, passing on the torch so to speak. B-Side deserves big-up support and I am still a sucker for free-form Steel Pulse (hope they deliver that).

(sorry - a little unrelated) We have to sell our SNWMF tix this year, so if you hear of anyone in need - we have (2) early-bird 3-day passes & RV fully hookup... I put a post up. Enjoy friends! smileys with beer See you next time.
May 28, 2014 03:14AM
Cali roots festival made so much money.

The bad: so many people. No chairs, umbrellas, outside food, outside drinks and outside water. They charged for everything (except tap water). I'm pretty sure they have outgrown the Monterey fairgrounds already.

The good: the sound was top notch. Jr gong and rebelution in The Bowl sounded amazing.

If its that packed and the bands are the same next year, am going to pass or buy VIP.
May 28, 2014 06:00AM
Sorry to say sound was not loud enough at the bowl .. Westafari u must have been super close ..
May 28, 2014 10:52AM
I dont have anything negative to say about the fest. I'd rather not focus on that. I didn't really experience anything "negative." There were some logistical issues as noted by others, but that's gonna happen. I thought they put on a great production and the hospitality was incredible. So many little details that were covered. I was impressed. There were plenty of great things there. Alborosie & Shengen Clan murdered it. His drummer is a performance by himself. Some of those kids didn't know what hit em. The sound was so wicked at that stage that I walked away tired from the thump of the bass. Absolutely loved it. Steel Pulse's set in the bowl came in 2nd for me. One of the best sets I've seen and heard. Always love me some Amlak Tafari. Other good sets for me were Ziggy, Katchafire, J Boog, and Saritah as well as other bands I heard here and there but didn't check to see who they were. My son really enjoyed Rebelution and frankly I did too for what it was. I'd be happy see Rocksteady set after Rocksteady set if it were up to me, but this wasn't the fest for that. Of all the sets I saw, the kids were most into that one. It was a sight to see all of them singing their tunes and the energy and electricity was contagious. Bands I missed were Pepper, 311, Nahko, and New Kingston among others. The latter 2 I heard were great and I was sad I missed them.

Sound at the 2 smaller stages was great. Seemed like the bowl was hit or miss but may have been due to where I was seated. I never went down into the soup as I had my 2 kids and it wasn't the place for them.

Shout outs and props to the people I spent time with at the fest.....Mystic Lion, Free Up and crew for all the vibes throughout the weekend. My son loves Mystic clothing. Selah International...Love my man Marv and family. Cornerstone and various Sebtown folks I saw throughout the weekend. Kiki at the Rebelution merchandise booth for hooking my son up with a signed, tour used drum head. Made my son's weekend bro. Singh and family at India Gourmet. Hands down one of the most nice, cool, fun, funny, and generous persons I've ever met at a festival. Last but not least aaron_g for pestering me throughout the fest. I still love you bro. Big up Jeff, Dan, Amy and crew. Had a great time. Out.
May 28, 2014 07:16PM
I agree, sound in the bowl was def NOT loud enough and I am not one who needs it that loud and I was close enough as far as I can go..I did enjoy the festival BUT the only way I go next year is via VIP which off course costs a lot more!
May 28, 2014 07:17PM
SNWMF = nothing else comes even close to it, one can move around freely, the whole Bowl Situation at CaliRoots was a bit much to be honest, you gotta go and secure a space at least 2 hours before the headline and just stand and wait, dont dare to sit down you get trampled down..
May 28, 2014 07:18PM
I was directly in front of the sound stage/sound board. It sounded great.
May 28, 2014 09:41PM
fourtwenty's first time at Cali "Roots" dance.

May 28, 2014 09:53PM
You're not very good at being zoki. Stick to being aaron_g. Quit posting my dancehall training videos. Nobody's supposed to know about that til I unveil my repertoire at Sierra.

aaron_g was spotted voicing his opinion at Cali Roots this weekend

I disagreed.
May 29, 2014 08:22PM
This was my first and last year at Cali Roots, I dont want to be negative so all I will say is that Steel Pulse, Albo, and Damien all absolutely killed it. Bring on SNWMF and ROTR with some REAL REGGAE MUSIC FROM JAMAICA!!!
May 29, 2014 08:27PM
420plenty, I really like your dance! My favorite part Is when you try to do the headstand and end up on the ground still dancing. LOL

Good Entertainment! Thanks for posting Aaron G
May 29, 2014 09:31PM
Loved the live stream of Rebelution. Now I don't have to check them out at snwmf.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login