Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tents and shade structures

Posted by teachdem 
Tents and shade structures
April 30, 2014 02:55PM
Just wanted to check if here was any official policy on tents and shade structures. I know the village stage is plenty shady but for the main stage it really cooks. We're bringing the youth this year so shade is at a premium and I want to be fully prepared. At the same time I want to be respectful to all the other brethren and sistren at the festival.
Re: Tents and shade structures
April 30, 2014 03:21PM
Here's a 'new rule' for SNWMF 2014:

SNWMF no longer permits shade structures (e.g., pop-up tents, umbrellas) into the music bowl. SN does provide shade in areas of the Valley Stage. In addition, our Village stage area is a natural shade oasis with great music throughout the day.
April 30, 2014 04:03PM
Daniel

SNWMF no longer permits......

uh,isn't there also a rule about sound curfew?
as they say - rules are made to be broken.....
April 30, 2014 04:05PM
Better to ask forgiveness than ask permission? winking smiley
AJ
April 30, 2014 04:08PM
Daniel

SNWMF no longer permits shade structures (e.g., pop-up tents, umbrellas) into the music bowl. SN does provide shade in areas of the Valley Stage. In addition, our Village stage area is a natural shade oasis with great music throughout the day.

How about small hand held umbrellas?
I'm a shady guy.....thanks
April 30, 2014 05:02PM
Wondering if this new policy means wake and BAKE. Will SNWMF have any shade within the music bowl (other than the grandstands) similar to ROTR and other fests, such as parachutes or "sails"? Time for SPF 100?
April 30, 2014 05:10PM
Daniel

Wow, I can understand no more EZ-Ups or 10 x 10 canopies, but no 6ft. beach umbrellas as well? That seems totally unnecessary, especially if they are setup behind the sound board or in a designated area in the back. What is the reason for no umbrellas anywhere? Please elaborate.

If its hot and sunny, and we know thats a possibility, then it will be miserable for many of us to be out in the sun for the entire day. And obviously, there will not be enuff shade for everyone's needs from that parachute shade structure used last year.

If I am going to be forced to sit at the Village Stage or on those aluminum benches under the roof to avoid direct sunlight on a hot day then I need to reconsider my intentions to attend this years festival. That will be a showstopper for me and my wife.

That ban on shade structures was imposed on people by surprise at ROTR last year but they allowed shade structures up on the hill at the back of the bowl. They provided partial shade down below on the main floor with some flying triangles(not sure what they call those things) but if its really hot those things will likely be totally inadequate, based on last years setup.

The possibility of a another year of excessive sound system volume coupled with a very limited amount of shade at the Valley Stage makes me think perhaps my time is up for the SNWMF.
April 30, 2014 05:27PM
Walter
Better to ask forgiveness than ask permission? winking smiley

good one walter! will be interesting to see how much this is enforced, what a bummer job that would be. that said the "music bowl" can be a real CF with the ezups, tents and assorted lawn furniture strewn all about, especially all the stuff that doesn't get used most the day that is just there for space saving until the headliners. a huge shade structure would be sweet and make for more people grooving to the music during the heat of the day.
AJ
April 30, 2014 06:34PM
Rhythmwize
Daniel

Wow, I can understand no more EZ-Ups or 10 x 10 canopies, but no 6ft. beach umbrellas as well? That seems totally unnecessary, especially if they are setup behind the sound board or in a designated area in the back. What is the reason for no umbrellas anywhere? Please elaborate.

If its hot and sunny, and we know thats a possibility, then it will be miserable for many of us to be out in the sun for the entire day. And obviously, there will not be enuff shade for everyone's needs from that parachute shade structure used last year.

If I am going to be forced to sit at the Village Stage or on those aluminum benches under the roof to avoid direct sunlight on a hot day then I need to reconsider my intentions to attend this years festival. That will be a showstopper for me and my wife.
thumbs up

We need to be able to use umbrellas.
Is it the danger of a strong wind coming along and shade structures/tents taking flight and hurting people? It is the only reason I can think of.
Without enough shade/sun protection there will be more heat related injuries ~ heat/sun stroke & dehydration. I'm not twenty any more ~ I need my hand held umbrella ~ I do not think that is too much to ask for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 08:35PM by AJ.
April 30, 2014 06:36PM
I don't like that "new rule"... Makes me think twice about taking my children, they NEED shade. I say keep it behind the soundboard as in the past.
April 30, 2014 06:40PM
There has always been two large parachute-type shade setups in the valley stage area just behind the mixer (along with the grandstands). I'm all for the new rule - too many people rush in to claim a spot to erect shade, which in the early afternoon is all good, but it gets too jam packed as the day progresses, and all the shade tarps get in the way, etc. - especially for folks behind them trying to see the main stage! Maybe a third parachute is in order, but getting rid of the countless shade structures people bring in sounds good to me. I can only remember one year that was actually uncomfortably hot, it's usually very pleasant - and occasionally cold at night even!

I haven't been to ROTR in years, but in the old days it was always shade tarps on the hill only... C'mon John: Wear a hat and some 'screen, we have dancing to do!

P.S. - if it is hot this year - what happened to the mist tent from days of old? That was always a nice way to cool off!
April 30, 2014 06:47PM
Well, please tell us your shade plans. That one big shade in the back is cool but, not enough. This really will be a deal maker or, breaker when it comes to attending with children or... not.
April 30, 2014 06:49PM
the mister was over there by the Boonville fire department hamburger shack. and it was nice.
Angels Camp had that Cee-ment building that had misters inside and it was at least 20° cooler.
April 30, 2014 06:57PM
I understand the new rule. Tons of complaints last year! We annually sit on the left hand side of the stage with children.
But last year people set up tents in the middle of the bowl at 10' high. There was a small dready guy that kept jumping up and down to see Protoje.
My kids laughed and laughed. The guy was being silly but we could not see a thing! They finally took it down.
That is just 1 tent.
April 30, 2014 07:01PM
Dubguy
I haven't been to ROTR in years, but in the old days it was always shade tarps on the hill only... C'mon John: Wear a hat and some 'screen, we have dancing to do!

In the old days at ROTR it was shade canopies on the hill, but beach umbrellas were allowed on the main floor...I know since I did that for eleven straight years. When they banned umbrellas at the UCLA reggae fest several years back I stopped going. As I recall, some Reggae fests now not only ban umbrellas but even chairs, I think the Las Vegas Reggae Festival is one. So, whats driving the new ban on shade in the form of an umbrella?...because you can use it as a weapon as some festivals have claimed? I for one have had it with these unreasonable rules that make the festival experience far from comfortable for anyone except some 20 year old with a big hat, no shirt and sunscreen.
April 30, 2014 07:13PM
I hope smaller umbrellas could still be acceptable in the back area of the main stage. I understand having 10x10 shade tents can take up a lot of room quickly and a lot of people don't always use them throughout the day, but only to save a spot to hangout at periodically through the day. However...it does get hot and people do need shade, especially kids, and the shade provided might not be enough for everyone. I'm curious to see how this turns out this year...I'm also a little sad because this was the first year that I was planning on buying a small umbrella to use in the main stage area...
ODB
April 30, 2014 07:50PM
Crap. Better hope its not 112 like the first year in boonville. We brought our children that year, it was not easy. Nearly had a heat stroke just trying to set up camp. The shade provided by the festival is not sufficent, i hope they are providing more if they are enforcing this rule. The bleachers face south and are nearly useless for shade during the hottest time of day. No EZ-ups could have been enough. Overkill.
April 30, 2014 07:59PM
ODB
Crap. Better hope its not 112 like the first year in boonville.

I always hope that it's never this hot again. That was a struggle.
April 30, 2014 08:14PM
AJ
Daniel

How about small hand held umbrellas?
I'm a shady guy.....thanks

I'd like to hear clarification on this as well.
April 30, 2014 08:27PM
I don't make the rules. I don't enforce the rules. I only make the announcements. When reasonable questions (like does this include ALL umbrellas - I'm guessing not cocktail umbrellas), I make inquiry to the appropriate person and then provide a response once one is furnished to me, so please hold on in the hope that clarification will be coming soon....
April 30, 2014 08:32PM
would be cool (pun intended) if they could set something up like high sierra does on the big meadow stage like this:
April 30, 2014 08:42PM
That would be cool ragaduffin!
April 30, 2014 09:30PM
it only says tents and shade structures...
a beach umbrella is a mere shade device...
a personal umbrella is rain prevention device...
so i think umbrellas would be on the allowed list...
unless it's one of those umbrellas from your patio furniture set...

grinning smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 30, 2014 09:47PM
My chair has an umbrella attached. I'm bringing it!
April 30, 2014 10:06PM

it only says tents and shade structures...

I'm not sure where you are seeing this information, but the camping page states:

ITEMS NOT ALLOWED IN THE MUSIC ARENA: No Video Equipment, Pop-Up Tents, Umbrellas, High-Back Chairs, Aerosol Cans, Glass Bottles, Skateboards, Bicycles, Roller Blades or Skates.
April 30, 2014 10:26PM
what about hats?

April 30, 2014 10:36PM
NO Roller Skates ...??? BUMBOCLOT !!!! thumbs downthumbs down

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
April 30, 2014 10:39PM
No High-Back Chairs either? Has that really been a problem people have been clamoring to get resolved?

Now I have to go out and buy a couple of low-back chairs to be in compliance just because they may enforce this rule? Is that new as well?

Who is the person(s) responsible for making these rules?

People who believe in following the rules are going to be seriously inconvenienced by some of these rules while others will simply ignore or just plead ignorance and skate on by.
April 30, 2014 10:41PM
No skates, RW. Dem's da rulez.

I have a cool old rainbow-colored umbrella hat that's coming, for sure.
April 30, 2014 10:46PM
Rhythmwize
People who believe in following the rules are going to be seriously inconvenienced by some of these rules while others will simply ignore or just plead ignorance and skate on by.

problem is (as i see it) that only a small percentage of festival goers use the phorum. so we who visit this site do our best to
follow the rules while most people are totally unaware....
April 30, 2014 10:54PM
mulligan
Rhythmwize

problem is (as i see it) that only a small percentage of festival goers use the phorum. so we who visit this site do our best to
follow the rules while most people are totally unaware....

They could put the more important rules that are likely to impact people on the ticket...or maybe they do, I just don't recall if thats done.
April 30, 2014 11:22PM
I would also like to ask about flags? Are they going to be allowed by people waving them in front of the stage again? Some of those people don't pay enough attention that are waving them, and I've gotten hit on the head twice...would be nice if the flags were banned too...
April 30, 2014 11:45PM
I've been whipped by stinky dreads, many times. I say ban those, too!
May 01, 2014 12:32AM
Lord have mercy! I was just trying to seek knowledge on how to provide myself and my family a little shade, and in no means was looking to stir things up. But it's clear to me that the people who attend this festival (this has a reputation of being a family festival!) value shade and their body while enjoying good reggae and world music. I would hope that the people running the festival take that into consideration and provide shade needed for the people attending on the valley stage.
AJ
May 01, 2014 01:13AM
I'm bringing a parasol..................nothing about parasol..yet.
May 01, 2014 01:22AM
I recall being harassed because of my kelcyus chair has a shade attached. I truly feel this new rule is absurd due to te kids. As far as I know this one of the few family friendly reggae events in the Bay Area. If we can't protect te youths then WHAT is the point of going? I will bring our chairs with shade and will not bring a pop up tent. Eventually security will get tired of asking us to out it down like last year. We will also bring a very small tent for our toddlers to sleep in and. Protect them from the sun. So small that you can stand and see above them easily. Babylon has too many rules. We will try to abide but our protection from global warming comes first. Sounds like a on and jetty show again this summer.
May 01, 2014 01:49AM
juanlove

Man this made me laugh harder then it should have. Thanks for the good laugh
May 01, 2014 03:06AM
It sounds like the festival organizers need to provide more shade in the bowl. There clearly isn't enough.
May 01, 2014 04:13AM
I take my son each year and am only able to Enjoy the day because of my small pop up shade tent. I think banning EZ-ups is plenty fine or even enforcing them to stay behind the sound booth. But banning all shade providers is ridiculous.
May 01, 2014 05:07AM
maybe they could let em setup traditional shade structures and ezups, etc. farther back than they do now... maybe back by the big shade tarps or behind them, instead of immediately parallel to, and behind the sound board. that would allow more room for dancing up front, but those folks in their shady spots can still see the main stage... it's really a matter of moving the allowable line back X feet and things would really open up. the back half of the bowl usually is empty cuz no one can see the show from behind the wall of structures that are right at the mixing board.... so this might be a compromise that could help....

or this.

May 01, 2014 04:01PM
HiGrade1
maybe they could let em setup traditional shade structures and ezups, etc. farther back than they do now... ... it's really a matter of moving the allowable line back X feet and things would really open up. the back half of the bowl usually is empty cuz no one can see the show from behind the wall of structures that are right at the mixing board.... so this might be a compromise that could help....

what a sensible idea - this would work...
May 01, 2014 06:21PM
People need to be aware that this a Summer Solstice Event and even if the air temperature is not hot the sun is bearing down:

Since the Sun is at its highest point in the sky, it means more solar radiation is getting dumped on the Earth. “You´ll get your quickest sunburn on the summer solstice – the sun is most intense,” .

There is a definite health risk to anyone out in that direct sunlight for the entire day. Even with sunscreen.

Is it possible that liability insurance rates are whats driving the rules banning shade structures and umbrellas? Maybe.

Canopies are a real hazard in gusting high winds but small umbrellas and little shade tents not so much.
May 01, 2014 08:36PM
I have gotten some further clarification from operations regarding tents, shade structures and umbrellas. The policy is as follows:

1. No pop-up tents will be allowed in the music bowl - While your suggestions regarding moving the tent line back are appreciated, the truth is that last year the back of the bowl was nearly full and ez-ups DO block the view from people sitting towards the back of the bowl. In addition, shade structures are often utilized to ‘stake’ a claim on territory even while the owners are not present, which is unfair to those who are present or don’t have structures erected;

2. Additional Shade will be provided – The festival has arranged to have shade structures erected in more areas of the bowl area this year to compensate for the fact that patrons will not be able to bring in their own shade structure;

3. No Patio/Beach Umbrellas will be allowed in the music bowl – While large umbrellas are convenient for those sitting beneath them, they block the view of those attendees sitting behind them. Accordingly, no staked umbrellas will be allowed in the music bowl. Parasols and small umbrellas (under 38” – i.e. no golf umbrellas) will be allowed into the music bowl, but must be hand-held. Patrons holding umbrellas may be asked to sit towards the rear of the bowl if they are blocking the view of others.

Hope this clears things up for everybody....
May 01, 2014 08:48PM
Very clear. Thanks.
May 01, 2014 08:58PM
"Here comes trouble- Here comes the danger- Here comes the Rasta Youth ~>

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
May 01, 2014 09:36PM
carl is excited.....

thanks for the clarification daniel!

AJ
May 02, 2014 01:34AM
Thanks for the update...............

I hope the SNWMF store will be selling 38" souvenirs umbrellas. Could be a money-maker for the fest.

Also for the families with kids.......would be nice if they had an area in the way back where they could use small pop-ups. For kids only. They wouldn't be in anyone's way. In the back people are usually only walking around and/or checking out the vendors. Just looking out for the little ones.
May 02, 2014 02:53AM
thumbs up

People crowd in at night and some seem to have no awareness for the little ones.

AJ
Also for the families with kids.......would be nice if they had an area in the way back where they could use small pop-ups. For kids only. They wouldn't be in anyone's way. In the back people are usually only walking around and/or checking out the vendors. Just looking out for the little ones.
June 12, 2014 12:58AM
I have to say, with the temps looking like are I am a bit nervous to see what happens with this new "rule." SNWMF has always been a family friendly event that I knew I could take my son to each year. Having a shaded area in a must. What shaded areas are they going to provide for us?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 01:00AM by naturalmommy.
June 12, 2014 01:14AM
Definitely would be nice to know how the festival will provide additional shade structures, as mentioned above.
June 12, 2014 02:14PM
There will be an additional 3,000 sq feet of shade structure furnished in the bowl this year more than DOUBLING the shade provided by the festival than in prior years......
June 12, 2014 02:47PM
Boom shot! Give thanks Daniel, we the people greatly appreciate this gesture, thanks for the specifics. Maybe we'll catch ya there in the shade to hold a medi
June 12, 2014 05:21PM
I want those Rolla Skates Sapo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 05:22PM by DubDude.
June 13, 2014 05:18PM
juanlove

ha ha.. dang, pulling em outta my bag.. LOL
June 13, 2014 05:19PM
juanlove
"Here comes trouble- Here comes the danger- Here comes the Rasta Youth ~>

OMG.. I want these so bad.. you are cracking me up!
June 13, 2014 05:24PM
DubDude
I want those Rolla Skates Sapo!

[www.rioroller.com]

LOL
June 13, 2014 06:57PM
Just wear your shade, support a haberdasher!

(shot from years back at ROTR)
June 19, 2014 05:47AM
Face here making a rare appearance on the phoum-yes just happened to be stopping by and this one is important enough to bring me out of the woodwork

Let me just say that we will be having 6 kids this year in our crew. We literally just bought a new $200 dollar shade structure for the festival TODAY. i personally have had absolutely nothing negative to ever say about the festival and especially the way it is run over the past 8 years ive been going. absolutely top notch. However, if that rule is enforced and we are sitting there in the sun, especially the kids, we are going to be pissed. As i'm sure many people will be.

And on that note-why cant we ban tall people also?! im 5'6" cant a short guy get a little respect around here jeezus
June 20, 2014 05:06PM
face668

And on that note-why cant we ban tall people also?! im 5'6" cant a short guy get a little respect around here jeezus

Ban tall people? Luckily there aren't any of these types of people that come to this festival...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login