Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Louie Culture no-show in Portland

Posted by Jah Mike 
Louie Culture no-show in Portland
May 17, 2014 08:20AM
Louie Culture was supposed to play at the Hawthorne Theater this evening but never showed. Promoter is a fly-by-night who took off with whatever proceeds there was from the door.

Just a warning, if somebody comes to your area to promote a Louie Culture show.....beware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2014 05:04AM by Jah Mike.
AJ
Re: Louis Culture no-show in Portland
May 17, 2014 01:53PM
Major bummer when there is a "no-show". Even a bigger major bummer when you have paid to get in and you do not get your money back.
I can recall at least 4 (maybe more) shows since 1984/85 where the promoter has run off with the money. One show was $35 per ticket. Sometimes the artist is there, but problems with the promoter and or the artist results in no performance.
Back in St. Louis in the 90's Judy Mowatt was a no show because of her touring van broke down somewhere in-between Kansas City and St. Louis..........but she made it the next night and reduce the ticket price to only $5. I remember seeing Judy Mowatt and crew/band in the van the next night outside of the club and by the looks of the van I hope she made it to her next show.

It is always nice to have an replacement artist if this happens..........like at SNWMF and some shows in JA.
May 17, 2014 02:12PM
Do no shows happen in any other musical genre? Makes reggae seem like a JV operation.
AJ
May 17, 2014 03:06PM
akee123
Do no shows happen in any other musical genre? Makes reggae seem like a JV operation.
Blues/rock band Savoy Brown was a "no-show" in Germany back in 1976. I can't think of any other "no-shows" at rock n' roll concerts I've been to since 1970.
May 17, 2014 05:08PM
akee123

Hip Hop, Kool Keith comes to mind.
What about when you buy a ticket and the club is so rammed they don't let you in all night and/ or don't refund your money. Happened to me twice Hieroglyphics in LA and Hieroglyphics Halloween show at the Cattleprod circa early 2000's.
May 17, 2014 05:34PM
Why not post the promoter's name instead of disparaging Louie Culture, so people know who to look for.
May 18, 2014 03:51AM
Chimino
Why not post the promoter's name instead of disparaging Louie Culture, so people know who to look for.

agreed - Louie was and is here in NW - so must of been a valid reason why he did not go to perform - NO PAY / deposit - or mishap in travel is an easy assumption
May 18, 2014 04:08AM
Wonder if it was same promoter as Prez show in PDX? He didnt seem to really give a.....
May 18, 2014 04:59AM
Chimino
If I knew it I would. He didn't make it public, surprise, surprise.
Re: Louie Culture no-show in Portland
May 19, 2014 05:04PM
Wow. This is so funny. I was just inna Portland with The Stephen Marley crew and went to Carribean Spices to get some supplies and had a talk with the owner, who I"ve know for years. On the door to her shop was the Louie Culture poster for the show. The promoters name is REGIS. He also did the Beenie Man show. I'm not afraid to call out a person who is destroying reggae in the NW, meaning Portland and Seattle. I've been involve with reggae music on the entertainment level since 1987 back in Oakland Cali. I heard the story about the Beenie Man show and was sad to hear it. Check dis mi friends. WE, THE PEOPLE control the reggae scenes in our towns, not the promoter. Believe it or not. We have the power to stop this BS from happening ever again. There are some promoters who know what they are doing and other who have NO @#$%& CLUE!!!!!! STOP SUPPORTING these people. If we don't attend their shows, then they will have to stop. So let's do something and get these people out of the game. It saddens me when a artist comes through the NW and is treated unfair. It makes me even madder when the Local DJ's continue to work with these fools. I've done my part. I told you who the person is and now it is up to you. This guy got some big shows coming through. DONT LET HIM DESTROY THE REGGAE SCENE FOR YOU. When he left with your money that night, that should of been the last straw. Only a THIEF and a COWARD does this. SO, What you gonna do? Let these @#$%& up promoters destroy your reggae scene or standup and say Enough. Time will tell.
May 19, 2014 05:26PM
beenie man story?
May 20, 2014 01:30AM
So it looks like Louie Culture has been at all his other dates right? He is on the calender for 19 Broadway in Fairfax for this Sat. the 24th, and the plan was to go. He is an artist who's sound I have like for many years and have yet to see in person.
May 20, 2014 01:35AM
So he is NOT going to be in Fairfax this Sat. just talked to the manager and he said its canceled.................
May 20, 2014 02:00AM
I just checked with Zen Ken and this one is Sacramento is def still on.

Louie Culture
along with Bobby Tenna
Backed by Zen Ken
Early selections from
Jaytwo
Zen Ken aka Vision
K Weezy (Squarefield Massive)
Capitol Garage
1500 K Street
Friday May 30
$10/21+/10PM

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 02:28AM by DJ Treez.
May 20, 2014 06:18AM
Show at Ashkenaz in B-Town May 29th. Bless smoking smiley
May 20, 2014 10:44AM
Seattle show was great!
May 20, 2014 06:29PM
May 20, 2014 11:50PM
Good luck!
May 21, 2014 04:01PM
fyi... Louis Culture made it on time and was physically at the Hawthorne Theater at one point the day he was supposed to play... Don't know what that means but wish him the best on the rest of his tour.
May 21, 2014 05:37PM
Jah Mike, it saddens me to see you automatically blame the artist without getting the whole story. Rarely does an artist refuse a stage unless there is a very serious issue.

(This is your friend "Lionheart" chiming in, by the way.)
May 21, 2014 08:10PM
CrookedSmile
Jah Mike, it saddens me to see you automatically blame the artist without getting the whole story. Rarely does an artist refuse a stage unless there is a very serious issue.

(This is your friend "Lionheart" chiming in, by the way.)

Who was automatically blaming the artist? Nowhere in my posts did I blame the artist. Although, I think those of us who paid to see him are at least owed an explanation as to why he wouldn't take the stage if he was actually at the Hawthorne Theater as Ninja says.

BTW, how did you like last year's NWWRF?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2014 08:58PM by Jah Mike.
May 21, 2014 08:33PM
I know he was there earlier in the day... that is all I know.. I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on that one fact, but I do submit that this is indeed a fact
May 21, 2014 09:28PM
In both the case of this PDX show, NWWMF and any other.... I would say it is the promoter who should give explanation of wha gwaan, and sometimes silence can speak a lot.....
May 22, 2014 05:39PM
Sorry if I misunderstood your intention, Jah Mike. I thought you were warning people to be wary of Louie Culture shows in the future, which to me is blaming the artist.

As for your question about NWWRF 2013... I had a great time that weekend, but then again, I didn't have to pay for a ticket. My enjoyment had very little to do with the actual festival, which was a total joke. A complete embarrassment. If I had spent money to be there and see a weekend of live music, I'd probably have been furious. As a volunteer, I actually had attendees and vendors walking up to me on Sunday and asking me to relay their specific death threats to the owner. I am not kidding about this. Thankfully the SECURITY TEAM (who had no such obligation) coughed up thousands of dollars of their own money at the last minute to get Third World on stage Saturday night, or things might have gotten much uglier. (I will not be attending in Astoria.)
May 22, 2014 07:07PM
I was warning people. The fact that his tour so far has at least one no-show and one cancellation teills me he has some serious problems with his management. That may or may not be his fault.

Sounds like the northwest's least loved promoter may be taking his life in his hands trying to put on another show this year.
May 22, 2014 07:33PM
May 22, 2014 08:01PM
Thanks, Mr. Cheese. I guess that tells us who is at fault here and it is not Louie Culture.
May 22, 2014 08:27PM
Hey bun, that rip off report website is amazing. I'm making that one of my favorites.

Can we add Bottlerock Napa to it. Bought 150 dollar tickets. Now they are 99. Sad.
May 23, 2014 12:32AM
bun n cheese
[www.ripoffreport.com]

Wicked...they have the man's phone, address, everything up there.
May 23, 2014 04:58AM
Chimino
bun n cheese
[www.ripoffreport.com]

Wicked...they have the man's phone, address, everything up there.

Wow... I'm Fazebook "friends" with this guy and didn't even know it.
May 23, 2014 03:58PM
this guy?

May 23, 2014 06:22PM
That's the guy. I just asked him about all this on FB and was, of course, ignored and blocked. Not even one attempt at claiming innocence.

He is always advertising "reggae cruises" on the Portland Spirit (tickets $25, VIP passes for $150) but I've never met anybody who has actually attended one of them. I can't help but wonder if ANY of his business is legitimate.

I'm sending out a warning to our 50+ mutual "friends" on FB...
May 24, 2014 09:22AM
mi a just laugh out loud. Dis is some serious business n mi have mad respect for all that joined in this convo. WARNING to ALL PROMOTERS, THIS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. TEST THE PEOPLE AND SEE. RESPECT US AND WE SHALL IN RETURN RESPECT YOU. RESPECT IS EARNED, NOT GIVEN. ONE LOVE AND GOODNIGHT
May 30, 2014 11:57PM
I heard last nights show in Ber.keley, was really nice. Planning on going tomorrow, hopefully I will see a boardie or few there.
May 31, 2014 12:03AM
Blessed vibes @ Ashkenaz in B-Town!!!! Pure fiya from Louie Culture smoking smiley One Love
June 01, 2014 01:50AM
Last date for this run - rock n come in tonight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login