Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homegrown NW Reggae Festival 2014

Posted by Ninja 
Homegrown NW Reggae Festival 2014
May 19, 2014 05:34PM
[www.hnwreggaefest.com]

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC and it shall SUSTAIN US ALL!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 06:04PM by Daniel.
Re: Homegrown NW Reggae Festival 2014
May 19, 2014 07:15PM
Even if we don't like the music? Just a question, not my opinion per se.
May 19, 2014 09:57PM
aren't you playing longside Skillinjah?

#doppleganger
May 19, 2014 10:24PM
May 20, 2014 02:19PM
seriously.. I was like .. uh what? made me go get the family to take a look see
May 20, 2014 02:59PM
Was hoping for a productive conversation. Just seems like the ones who mock this festival are voicing their distaste for US reggae.

Not to overgeneralize as there are always exceptions, but I see it as a two problem situation that has brought us to this impasse.

1 - People feel JA reggae shows are a scam. They pick up musicians that can't play the music so every tune get a pull up and nobody likes that. Or there is no band at all so the sound system show comes off as karaoke business. The shows start hours late and are typically stacked with the same local artist that nobody wants to see anymore but are booked every time.

2 - JA reggae shows have slowed to a trickle. Since 9/11 it has been virtually impossible to get a work visa, not to mention Mark Myrie, Glendale Gordon, Christopher Coke, and David Rainsberger souring the relations with the State Department. Critical mass has ceased so the JA reggae promoters all lost their shirts and moved on.

The void that has been created in the absence of JA reggae shows over the last 14 years has been filled with Sublime's offspring. Rock music with an upstroke. That is what most people think of what reggae music is in the US now, it has passed the tipping point where JA artists are no longer relevant or even recognized in US reggae music. They know Tribal Seeds, Rebelution and Stick Figure, but have no clue who is Louie Culture, Tarrus Riley, or the Abyssinians.

But they bring musicians that all play together, they bring a party vibe, and they start on time.

I may not care for the reggae music that is created in the US, but at least someone is doing something. The reggae music that is created in the US can still be influenced and I hope one day I can actually enjoy listening to it.

It's up to the DJ's to put the JA reggae music that we know and love in the public's ears. A lot of these shows bring in high quality DJ's so the music can reach the willing.

And this is why I feel it is essential to support these shows.
May 20, 2014 03:50PM
Yes, the veggies grown in a garden may not appeal to each person but we must support the idea of gardening or we will starve. I see each festival as a garden plot. Some may not grow what you like this season but if the plot has good soil and is in the sun it may be worth investing in for seasons to come.
May 20, 2014 06:14PM
I'm really curious about Wet City Rockers. My computer is running slow so couldn't link on their website for info. Are they related to Crown City Rockers?

Jeff

Edit: see Walter's post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 09:41PM by J_72.
May 20, 2014 07:15PM
TMI, J - what websites you "kink" to is your own bidness. winking smiley
May 20, 2014 09:13PM
Walter
TMI, J - what websites you "kink" to is your own bidness. winking smiley

Crap! I try not to let on too much about my personal life, sorry. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 09:40PM by J_72.
May 21, 2014 02:49PM
At least there is truth in advertising here: this is a festival for homegrown reggae music. Also, the price is right.

Not many artists here that speak to me personally, but hey, I've seen worse lineups with higher price tags.
May 21, 2014 03:33PM
beyond that... hitting on something Bun mentioned this is so many words. Bands like String Cheese, Phish, The Dead (not that there are many bands like these but you get the drift) and Dave Matthews have been running the West Coast Live shows for years. This is the style of entertainment that has successfully been marketed to the general public. Songs played live that run for 10-20 minutes in some cases to give each member of the band an opportunity to showcase their talents. A pull up seems like a mistake. People are not familiar with stop and go. To them it is like going for a 5 mile jog and stopping every 20 seconds. It seems like the needle has scratched the record so to speak. LIVE BANDS are where it is at. DJ shows confuse people even further. Unless you have a DJ who in themselves part of the show. Being human beings we are influenced by all kinds of external stimuli. If I grow up loving a form of music and I learn to play instruments what is to stop me from finding other like minded individuals and forming a band? To me what you have in the Homegrown NW Reggae Festival is the natural progression of the music. A bird got fat on Jamaican fruits then took flight around the world. Through a very natural process seeds are "spread" around the globe. Does it not make sense that these seeds would sprout in the environment they are in?
May 23, 2014 06:25PM
Now that I realize this is the exact same weekend as The Festival Which Shall Not Be Named, I think I might be inspired to attend after all.
May 27, 2014 05:16PM
May 27, 2014 07:44PM
You going, Ninja?
May 28, 2014 05:25PM
think so... no offense to "The Other" festival but I have given them 10 years... 9 of which I paid full price for...
May 28, 2014 10:56PM
You should have gotten free passes just for being a ninja.

Price is definitely right for the Homegrown Fest.
May 29, 2014 04:13PM
many times I have been tempted to use my "skill set" as a Ninja just to add some excitement to the whole festival entry process. I always end up buying a ticket. I would like to say that is out of some sort of compulsion to act fair but really it is because I procrastinate and don't answer my phone that I end up having to buy my ticket at the last minute.

25 bucks for the weekend... that is worth a shot. If this can be pulled of without any major issues I don't see why they can't add a couple more artist this year..

One more thing I will say... in the future you can't really have a complete Homegrown NW Reggae Festival without fully embracing both Blessed Coast as well as the Dynasty Family.. Bobby Hustle in particular.. IMO Bobby Hustle is one of the elite US Dancehall artist. Being that he in Seattle only adds to what would seem to be a natural fit... Just a note by the future
May 29, 2014 04:25PM
Totally agree about Bobby Hustle. I'll take his music over Skillinjah's any day. Hopefully he got an invite, and his absence from the lineup is simply due to a previous engagement. He's definitely been touring a lot.
May 29, 2014 04:28PM
Skillinjah Hustle Combo would be nice!
May 29, 2014 08:28PM
I'm a fan of more combos, whoever the artists are! Cooperation, not competition! (Says the guy who was picking favorites in his last post.)
July 18, 2014 05:20AM
NEW KINGSTON added to line up.
July 23, 2014 05:31PM
Nice draw
July 28, 2014 03:58AM
Returned home today from the Homegrown NW Reggae Festival. I enjoyed myself thoroughly (thanks to a nice camping atmosphere) but I confess the musical side of this event was seriously lacking. The talent level was actually fine... while the emphasis is obviously on regional acts, I found the professionalism surprisingly consistent. The real problem with the music was the sound system, which lacked both power and fidelity. Generator issues on Friday definitely limited the vibes, although several acts performed admirably in spite of repeated loss of power.

Technical difficulties seemed to have been mostly overcome by Saturday, although the sound system was still severely underwhelming. Once again, the performers all seemed to rise to the occasion and put on a quality show anyway. The crowd was small but friendly. Camping was nice, and was basically assigned upon arrival, with a separate family camp (quiet camp) available. There is a river on the site, but local farming practices make it unsafe for swimming. Aside from the stage issues, everything seemed to run smoothly (from admissions to toilets) and all the volunteers we encountered were friendly and helpful.

Traffic on Friday was a little rough as the festival is near Seattle. We drove up from Portland and should have left earlier than we did to avoid rush hour traffic. If I lived in the Seattle area, I would plan to attend every year. I'm not sure I'll be making the drive from Oregon every year at least until they work out the kinks in the stage production and hopefully beef up the lineup with some heavier hitters. Don't get me wrong, I didn't see one bad band. (I didn't catch every act, either.) I'm curious if the promoters hope to eventually include some international acts or if the "Homegrown" moniker is more of a mission statement. Either way, I'm very glad I was able to attend a reggae festival this weekend without supporting that OTHER festival in Astoria.
July 28, 2014 09:05PM
Give thanks Ninja!! Maybe we will be on the lineup next year it sounds like a great festival!
July 29, 2014 05:46AM
I was there too and it was a nice time. The music was generally good and besides the power issues on Friday, the sound quality was great. It was a nice change of pace to attend a festival with several hundred rather than several thousand people.

Surprisingly I met very few people from Seattle—nearly everyone I talked to was from Tacoma or lived around Carnation. From Seattle it takes about 1.5 hours on Sound Transit to reach Duvall and from Duvall it's just a three mile walk to Cook's Farm. Something to consider if you're carless and live in Seattle like me. I don't think I spent more than $100 for the whole fesitval, ticket and all.

Hopefully there will be more vendors in upcoming years. There only seemed to be two places to buy food. It'd also be nice to have some selectors as blestcoast mentions.

Overall I'd recommend the festival, especially if you live nearby. Good vibes.
July 30, 2014 10:32PM
I had such a wonderful time at Homegrown. I was honored to work with such a fun, hardworking, and humble crew! It was really a family affair, everyone chipping in and working away to make things flow. Though I didn't know many of the bands before I headed out to Carnation, I was blown away at the HUGE amount of talent! Positive Rising, Valley Green, Two Story Zori and Tribal Order were 4 bands I was unfamiliar with who took me by the soul and rocked me to sweet reggae sounds! Not surprisingly, Indubious played a killer set (even though they had to take the small stage while we worked out generator problems on Friday night), New Kingston, Yogoman Burning Band, and Josh Heinrichs with SkillinJah were incredible! It was a pleasure getting to know more folks in the Seattle Reggae crew! Justine, "The Queen" Ketola and Kelly Guava Jelly came to help me run tings! Big up Homegrown Festival crew <3
July 31, 2014 01:17AM
smileys with beer Nice Empress! Glad u r involved in a positive situation. It is great to see good doings work out well.

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login