Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DJ Controllers

Posted by bun n cheese 
DJ Controllers
June 04, 2014 07:23PM
I post technology questions from time to time.

What do you use for hardware/software?

I'm now on my 3rd controller, the Pioneer DDJ-SZ running Serato DJ.

I feel it is really the first controller to cover all the features one could want. 2 USB ports, 4 channel analog mixer with hardware effects and oscillator. Full size CDJ jog wheels, full sized touchpads. It's large and with the road case is pretty heavy.
Re: DJ Controllers
June 04, 2014 07:29PM
Island style: (2) 1200's and a basic 2 channel mixer-all vinyl, no microphone, LOL
June 04, 2014 07:47PM
bun n cheese
I post technology questions from time to time.

What do you use for hardware/software?

I'm now on my 3rd controller, the Pioneer DDJ-SZ running Serato DJ.

I plan on Picking 1 of these up this summer/fall... I'll probably go with the sb model (2 Chanel)
I hear these work great and are really easy to pack around.

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 04, 2014 07:49PM
Pioneer DDJ S1 with Serato Itch. Very happy.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
June 04, 2014 09:19PM
I loved my DDJ S1. Ran it for over 3 years. It was time to upgrade and when they dropped the SZ, I was all over it..

juanlove
The DDJ SB is the 2 channel intro model, might want to check for the SR. There are several improvements over the SB.
[pioneerdj.com]
June 04, 2014 09:45PM
dirty harry rocking the original dj controlla.... mic and booth!

@ 1:49 "I and I control to the fullness"

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 04, 2014 10:01PM
[quote="bun n cheese"
juanlove
The DDJ SB is the 2 channel intro model, might want to check for the SR. There are several improvements over the SB.
[pioneerdj.com][/quote]

That's the 1... Looks Legit thumbs upthumbs up I've always Favored Pioneer Mixers Over all others ~>

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 05, 2014 05:12AM
June 05, 2014 06:45AM
HI*FI

thumbs up
June 05, 2014 07:13PM
nice preamp
who built it?

Respect Same Way
June 05, 2014 07:19PM
June 05, 2014 07:51PM
I just got thru looking at these pioneer controllers.

Im thinking the SR model meets my price point and my needs.

Heres the approx. price range for the different models:

SB....$250
SR....$550
SX....$1000
SZ....$2000

I gotta buy a new laptop as well for the SR...any suggestions on whats best without breaking the bank.

I think I read somwhere the Serato software doesnt work with Windows 8...maybe that was an old post.
June 05, 2014 08:02PM
You can get a good Windows machine for about the same cost as the controller. I'd go with a Dell.
Apple is a great way to go if you can afford it, would be worth looking at a refurbished model, macmall or craigslist for a used one. Look for an 'i' like an i5 or i7 series processor.
[serato.com]
reads that it is not supported officially, but that many users are running Win8 without issue.
I have found that the big problem with Windows is when you attempt to attach your existing database that was build on a Mac to a Windows machine. This introduces a lot of problems, but if you are starting with a clean database, you should be OK.
June 05, 2014 08:15PM
How about if you start with a Windows XP Data base and use a Mac?...Any issues there?
June 05, 2014 08:27PM
Not sure, I've only gone from Mac to a Windows backup machine in a pinch. The crates loaded but would crash if you tried to actually play a track. I was able to browse the file system and load tracks that way but I don't organize in the file system so it was a difficult gig.
I can't really stress enough how stable it is on a mac. If stability is what you need, there isn't really a better choice.

This is a good resource for setting up a MAC
[dj.rane.com]

This is a good resource for setting up Windows
[serato.com]
June 06, 2014 01:56PM
HiGrade1
dirty harry rocking the original dj controlla.... mic and booth!

@ 1:49 "I and I control to the fullness"

"Remooooove Yaaaa!"

This is one of my favorite scenes from Rockers. Classic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login