Advanced

SNWMF 2014 In The News - in Jamaica

Posted by Daniel 
SNWMF 2014 In The News - in Jamaica
June 05, 2014 01:41PM
The Jamaican invasion
17 local acts booked for California festival
Thursday, June 05, 2014

A SLEW of Jamaican acts are scheduled to perform at the 21st annual Sierra Nevada World Music Festival set to take place in Boonville, California, from June 20-22.

A total of 17 reggae and dancehall acts have been advertised for the three-day festival.

The Sierra Nevada show, along with another California event, Reggae On The River, are the longest-running 'reggae' festivals in the United States.

Fast-rising roots reggae act Kabaka Pyramid and his Bebble Rockers band are among the headliners for the first night. He will be joined by dancehall act Chuck Fenda and the veteran deejay Josey Wales.

Shaggy heads the line-up for Saturday, June 21, which has seven other Jamaican acts. They are Bull Bay-based band Raging Fyah; vocal trio The Tamlins; John Holt; veteran deejay U-Roy; Sly and Robbie; as well as roots singers Mykal Rose, Horace Andy and UK-based Bitty McLean.

The festival culminates with ska pioneer Derrick Morgan, Morgan Heritage, Tarrus Riley, Carlton and The Shoes, and Barrington Levy.

The Sierra Nevada Music Festival was first staged in 1994 by organiser Warren Smith. Despite its 'world music' claim, it primarily focuses on roots reggae.

This year, California reggae band Rebelution Seun Kuti, Cultura Profetica, SambaDá, Saritah, Candelaria, Jambinai, and Zvuloon Dub System are among the non-Jamaican artistes.

Sound systems Mighty Crown from Japan, Comanche High Power from the US, and Britain's Adrian Sherwood are also on the roster.

Original Source - The Jamaican Observer
Re: SNWMF 2014 In The News - in Jamaica
June 05, 2014 02:43PM
17 Jamaican acts.......MEK WI PROUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BIG UP SNWMF MASSIVE AND CREW!!!!!!
June 05, 2014 05:47PM
It was cool hearing snwmf on the radio in jamaica last summer
June 05, 2014 05:50PM
I guess Clinton Fearon didn't rate as a "Jamaican act" in the eyes of The Observer......?
June 05, 2014 09:59PM
Actually, a large percentage of the artists in past years at SNWMF hav been Jamaican. I count 15 from last year.
I agree with Daniel, overlooking Clinton Fearon is a BIG oversight. He is a foundation artist.
June 05, 2014 10:44PM
Jah Mike
Actually, a large percentage of the artists in past years at SNWMF hav been Jamaican. I count 15 from last year.
I agree with Daniel, overlooking Clinton Fearon is a BIG oversight. He is a foundation artist.

It's an oversight for sure, but an understandable one since Clinton Fearon is known far better in foreign than he's ever been known in JA. Mix that with the fact that JA media doesn't always do it's homework (although admittedly the Observer is slightly better than the gleaner), it's to be expected
June 05, 2014 10:46PM
To be fair, Daniel, I believe the Observer article was touting "local" (i.e. resides in JA) acts. Seeing as Mr. Fearon lives in Seattle - a fair piece from JA, I can see why he was not mentioned in the article.
June 06, 2014 09:33PM
Walter
To be fair, Daniel, I believe the Observer article was touting "local" (i.e. resides in JA) acts. Seeing as Mr. Fearon lives in Seattle - a fair piece from JA, I can see why he was not mentioned in the article.

Bitty McLean lives in the UK, which is even further away from JA. He was mentioned.
AJ
June 08, 2014 08:49PM
I believe Derrick Morgan has lived in England since the late 60's/early 70's. So...yes Clinton Fearon should make that 18 acts.
But Chuck Fenda is from the U.S.A. and now lives in Jamaica. confused smiley
yikes........just glad SNWMF was mentioned in a JA newspaper.thumbs up
June 09, 2014 09:43AM
@Jah Mike - point well taken.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login