Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

eel river? ?

Posted by iriebarto 
eel river? ?
June 05, 2014 11:13AM
Is there water in the river?? I know we didn't have much snow and rain and were gonna be hurting from it up here in oregon.. hoping its not gonna be extra nasty for reggae on the river
Re: eel river? ?
June 05, 2014 11:38AM
Considering the emergency drought conditions of California, I assume the river will be pretty low this year.
June 05, 2014 12:12PM
what does this have to do with SNWMF?
Ive heard the navarro river is low but comparable to last year...
June 05, 2014 12:22PM
river Styx is flowing hecka high.....
June 05, 2014 01:36PM
mulligan
river Styx is flowing hecka high.....

smoking smiley

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
June 05, 2014 01:55PM
Has to do with rotr.. which has to do with reggae
June 05, 2014 02:23PM
River is low, yes. Was just down there last weekend and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but we still have many weeks to go???
Definitely asking people to bring lots of water for themselves as you would camping anywhere.
June 06, 2014 10:16AM
Thanks Alisha. . More of the answer I was looking for... hopefully its safe to swim in for the festival.... an we bring plenty of water every year whichever festivals we attend... water is life
June 06, 2014 04:46PM
The Russian River had a bunch of water last weekend. That is the end of the Eel river so that is a good sign.
June 06, 2014 09:24PM
Russian River is Dam release...not a gauge for other regional streams. South Fork Eel (ROTR) is au natural.

Give the unprecedented CA drought, the SF Eel this year will likely be the lowest or very close to the lowest it has ever been come the first weekend in August for that time of year.
June 06, 2014 09:31PM
Flows are low. Real low.

South Fork Eel River flows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 09:32PM by Jahsprey.
June 07, 2014 08:28AM
thumbs up

Jahsprey
Flows are low. Real low.

June 07, 2014 12:22PM
J_72
thumbs up

Jahsprey
Flows are low. Real low.

thumbs down
June 07, 2014 02:59PM
Yes, true, but my thumbs up being for the facts and data provided. Unfortunately this won't stop many from overuse before, during and after ROTR.

Peace
June 07, 2014 03:54PM
I would not be surprised if much of the South Fork Eel is bone dry at some locations at Reggae on the Rocks this year. Those daily fluctuations are trees taking what they need when the sun is shining. It's only 54 cfs today and it's going down almost 10 cfs per week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2014 03:54PM by Jahsprey.
June 07, 2014 11:52PM
I'm pretty sure reggae on the rocks is in Colorado at Red Rocks not in SoHum.
June 08, 2014 08:05AM
Westafari,

Word play. Mark mine.

Have you ever camped on-site at Reggae on the River? I have.

Cold ground was my bed, last time...
and rock was my pillow...

...and more so when the river runs dry.
June 08, 2014 08:18AM
Every single year. I have it down. 12" colman queen air bed, pop up canopy over tent and 50' of 3d camo netting. Who needs trees and grass when you have it dialed in. I have been going since 1997 and have only missed one year at Benbo. The reason I like this festival is because the softies won't go (no hotels, no thank you mentality).
June 08, 2014 08:22AM
Westafari writes everything like he knows .. We all see , he never been to ROTR before at the original location ..yes u will probably sleep on rock ..
AJ
June 08, 2014 09:09AM
westafari
The reason I like this festival is because the softies won't go (no hotels, no thank you mentality).

Hotels are a good thing for some folks.....like old hippies. winking smiley

Sure did love the Best Western in Frog Town for 2004/2005. Not far from the fest, a good quiet sleep & a clean shower.
Camped the first 3 years at Angels Camp and it was an experience.
Put me in a state or national park any day.
Happy camping.............................
June 09, 2014 08:29PM
Hey redeye, why would someone write something they "don't know about." That would be a "guess" and makes no sense. Of course people on this forum should tell about their own "true" experience so people can "trust" their lead. Otherwise is a lie right???
June 10, 2014 08:54PM
Eel river is more of the Eel Creek right now...and fixing to get worse. Places I won't be swimming at ROTR (or anytime this summer): Eel River
June 11, 2014 09:42AM
Thanks redwood.. I was really looking for someone who actually knows and it sounds like you do.. give thanks.. the festy will be fun anyway
June 11, 2014 10:18AM
iriebarto
I was really looking for someone who actually knows

The chart Gary provided wasn't accurate enough for you?
June 11, 2014 10:31AM
Actually BRO I was referring to the unhelpful and/or snide comments... that wasnt one of them.. but its more helpful to hear from someone that has seen it vs a chart someone pulled from the net that's all.. thanks for being a big help yourself dude
June 11, 2014 10:47AM
Ok gotcha...apologies. I was confused with the apparent lack of appreciation for the other helpful comments, particularly the scientific chart showing the study decline of river levels. Yeah, weird how a question about the Eel river can digress into drama about ROTR attendance, lol.

Peace Man
June 11, 2014 01:41PM
For the record, the USGS streamflow data for the Eel is real-time, and updated every 15 minutes. It's as good as hydrologic data gets, IMO.
June 11, 2014 05:27PM
Dont get me wrong its appreciated.. other comments are not that's all
June 11, 2014 06:25PM
westafari
The Russian River had a bunch of water last weekend. That is the end of the Eel river so that is a good sign.

Incorrect. Like it was said, the Russian is, partially, dam fed (there are tributaries like Big Sulphur Creek, etc). The Russian River flows north to south through Anderson Valley and, eventually, past Guerneville, and into the ocean nearby. The Eel is a completely different "river" system and the South Fork flows south to north and empties into the ocean south of Eureka.

The Eel is in a very sad state and it is basically impossible for salmon and other species to run up it to spawn. At such low levels, and high water temps, the levels of dissolved oxygen cannot support fish, but can support massive algae blooms (which contribute to oxygen depletion). In recent drought years, there are spots of the river that are de-watered due to saturation and pumping out of flows. People can say otherwise, but grapes and cannabis are contributing to the death of this river.

This is coming from a local. Luckily, sort of, the Trinity and Klamath have much better flows and, except for the damns, are amendable to fish migrations and spawning.
June 11, 2014 07:37PM
Babylon is by far the main "contributor" to the unfortunate drying of the Eel and many other Blessed water ways. Bun dem out and dem wicked ways!!!! One Love smoking smiley
June 11, 2014 07:40PM
jcom
People can say otherwise, but grapes and cannabis are contributing to the death of this river.

thumbs up
June 11, 2014 07:42PM
I'm not your bro, dude, hommie, or friend. Nice attitude. I was stating facts about camping on rocks.
June 11, 2014 09:15PM
Iam not your buddy, guy
June 11, 2014 09:17PM
I just wanted to say that as a person that lives in Willits, things are pretty damn dry. We were in an emergency drought for months and are still heavily restricted. We really had to rethink water use. I am hoping people coming to both of these festivals will realize the extreme dry conditions and act accordingly and sparingly.
June 11, 2014 09:21PM
Always bring plenty of water!! And shower with the lady to conserve water there
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login