Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Valley Stage Volume

Posted by cb_liveup 
Valley Stage Volume
June 09, 2014 09:49PM
(Disclaimer: I am now the proud dad of a nearly 11 month old daughter who will be attending for at least one day this year)

So I know this is an old topic but haven't seen it discussed in awhile... the excessive volume of the Valley Stage speakers. It seems like its really been an issue for the last few years. The sound quality is awesome, however just because it sounds good too loud doesn't mean it needs to be played too loud. Everybody I know, young have complained about it. 2 years ago I had a dozen pair of earplugs in my pocket to give away....people were stoked. I now use Party Plug earplugs anytime I am near the main stage. I know at least one person (longtime festival vet) who is no longer attending because the volume last year was 'terrible'. I know the Village stage is way more volume friendly... but that is only part of the show.

I always wondered how or why kids would/should be anywhere near the main stage area... and so here I making my formal request to SNWMF: In keeping with all the family friendly vibes that are so prevalent...please turn down the Valley Stage speakers (at least a little bit). I think everybody, and especially the parents and the Boonville neighbors will thank you. Big thanks and Bigups...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 03:11PM by cb_liveup.
Re: Valley Stage Volume
June 09, 2014 11:34PM

C'mon Son!!! (Somebody was gonna post this!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 11:35PM by Christopher.
June 10, 2014 10:13AM
The only complaints Ive ever heard about the sound being too loud are from a few peple on this forum, no one I know has ever said its too loud. Turn it up if anything.
June 10, 2014 01:49PM
I would say perhaps an angle adjustment on the side towers so that it is NOT louder at the back of the bowl (or louder still just behind the bowl) than at the front (like it was last year), and perhaps keeping the bass a bit more in check.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
June 10, 2014 01:55PM
If its to loud you are too .... Old!!!
June 10, 2014 07:00PM
Leave your kids at home!!!!
June 10, 2014 07:09PM
NO, BRING YOUR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!

Leave your Bonghead a home.

When they are ready, bring em. And not a second earlier. My Son who is a 6 year Vet to Boomville, and would have some choice words for that one Bonghead. He will be by my side in full beast mode while you sleep deh.

Why cant our youths take in the awesomeness of Sierra? Why cant these be his glory years? Im glad I am the cool parent that I am, and dpay little mind to closed minded cats like yourself. We live for this son.

Teach the youth,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 07:10PM by DubDude.
June 10, 2014 07:32PM
The sound was ridiculously loud during SOJA's set last year. I was all the way in the back and vendors were complaining they couldn't make transactions with customers because nobody could hear each other. Some bands have their own engineers that take over the board for their sets so it's not always something that can be controlled. I like the ear plug idea. This year I have invested in some Party Plugs for myself and my 11 year old son. To me that is the way to go. They're designed for this kind of event. I'd rather have the sound we have at Sierra than what they had in San Diego in February. Horrible! I wouldn't say leave your kids at home. That's ridiculous, but I would say be mindful of your environment and be a thoughtful parent. Asking Sierra to turn the volume down is like asking attendees not to roll such a big fatty.
June 10, 2014 07:37PM
My vote is for the people that run the festival to make decisions about the sound levels....that seems better than people on a message board, or us spectators that are simply that. Do your thing SNWMF, I love it each year.
June 11, 2014 11:15AM
I have never had any problem with the volume at the Valley stage. Actually, I kind of like it loud because if I need to make a trip to the campsite during a performance, I can still hear the artistst from my tent.
June 11, 2014 11:17AM
fourtwentyplenty
The sound was ridiculously loud during SOJA's set last year. I was all the way in the back and vendors were complaining they couldn't make transactions with customers because nobody could hear each other.

The general consensus seems to be that it was too loud in the back of the valley stage area, while up front it wasn't so bad, and once you went out the back gate it really got loud. The angle of (and the height of) the main columns has a lot to do with this, and the bass was crushing (and distorting) a few times. Make Loren bring a decibel meter, and we can run around and compare! LOL

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
June 11, 2014 11:34AM
HEY JOHN, HOPE TO SEE YOU THIS YEAR. HOPE ALL IS WELL. smiling smiley
June 14, 2014 11:10PM
can you say Coachella, Bonnaroo, Warped Tour, Treasure Island,
June 15, 2014 06:50AM
I bought a decibel meter before last years Reggae on the River, i'll try and bring it and compare. Will give report after. If i remember it. I suffered some ear damage last year (at work) so i've been measuring sound levels there and at shows all year.

Love that reggae!
June 15, 2014 07:25AM
Nice Nomo.... I think a decibel meter would be cool to play with especially at different spots in the bowl and even for different artists as it does seem to vary depending on whoever is at the sound board.
June 15, 2014 07:53AM
What i've found so far this year is that sound varies by location greatly. In trying to compare sound levels you really have to try and recreate similar situations. Sound in a club is very different from sound in an outdoor setting. Ten feet to the right might be 10 db's lower. The clubs i've measured from near the front, not right in front of a speaker are generally 90 to 100 db, generally nearer to 95. Reggae on the River last summer, 30 ft in front of the right stack, 100 db, very comfortable actually. I've never measured the sound at snwmf so i'm curious. Also, i am measuring the loudest sounds, have no ability to separate highs from lows. Personally, high tones at work bother me much more than low tones, but i'm thinking at most reggae shows it might be the lows that are loudest.

Love that reggae!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login