Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seeking tips on how to avoid late night noise

Posted by Stevo 
Seeking tips on how to avoid late night noise
June 10, 2014 06:55PM
What do you guys think? Is there a better time to enter the campground that will minimize chances of sleeping 5 feet away from a subwoofer that's thumping all night? Get there early? Get there late? Can one get into family camp without a family? Lol. It would be really nice if SNWMF actually enforced their rules, but I don't have high hopes after past experiences. Any suggestions welcome.
Re: Seeking tips on how to avoid late night noise
June 10, 2014 07:05PM
I seem to recall the statement "this aint no shakespear festival" made by a boardie a few years back........My memory may be waaaaaay off admittedly, but wasnt it you who said that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 07:07PM by DubDude.
June 10, 2014 07:23PM
other than not attending? Stay at Anderson Valley... other than that.. good luck
June 10, 2014 07:35PM
I don't recall saying that DubDude. I have sided with the opposition to the late night amplified sound for a while. I'm not expecting to be completely out of range of these late night parties. A hundred feet would be leaps and bounds better than last year though. Literally 5 feet from my head. All night.

I'm hoping there is some way to time my entry right, to maximize my chances of not being in the immediate "blast radius".

AVBC is out just for convenience of onsite camping.
June 10, 2014 07:39PM
My mistake. It was a colorful boardie exchange that I remember from at least 4 years back. I have no good advice other than earplugs.....they clearly don't help much with bass.
June 10, 2014 07:50PM
sound curfew
The Fairgrounds has a sound curfew of 10pm. Quiet time is from 10pm - 8am in the campgrounds. Out of respect for the neighbors of Anderson Valley and other campers, NO AMPLIFIED MUSIC IS ALLOWED IN THE CAMPGROUND

Maybe the sound curfew will be enforced as rigorously as the big umbrella ban....
June 10, 2014 08:16PM
Bun tried to wake the Dead with some Monday AM Tommy Lee a couple years back and ear plugs seemed to hold fast... ear plugs get the vote.
June 10, 2014 08:18PM
Friday Saturday evenings seemed to be relatively peaceful last year after 11 but Sunday it was super duper dub step shenanigans but @#$%& it dude Let's Go Bowling
June 10, 2014 08:37PM
Last year didn't seem as bad as prior years, however I believe Saturday night/early Sunday morning last year someone's car alarm was going off for what felt like forever!
June 10, 2014 08:57PM
stevo, apparently you need to camp near christinalorell.

smoking smiley

m.

* [www.shocksofshebamusic.com]
* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
June 10, 2014 09:27PM
Man what is with all the complaining about noise on this forum?! You guys should hit up Kate Wolf Festy, more of the vibe you're looking for I think.....
June 10, 2014 09:33PM
I also sleep like a rock though... Lol
June 10, 2014 09:52PM
Ear plugs. I slept right next to Bun's sound system a couple years ago and he and Ninja even had trouble waking me up the next morning.

A hammock helps, too. Less bass vibrations. With the lack of trees, though, that requires a portable hammock stand. Worth the trouble if you ask me.
June 10, 2014 09:57PM
the DEAD speaks... that was Tommy Lee in your ear.... Like a Demon...
June 10, 2014 10:41PM
Try getting the campsite in the far back right hand corner of the big field, along the fence. It's a little of a walk to stage from there but was really quiet in that spot. Get some ear plugs and you'll be fine.
June 10, 2014 10:45PM
I remember saying something to the effect of

"if you want peace and quiet, you should try calistoga spa experience......"

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 10, 2014 11:24PM
Fshman78-
What time should one arrive to accomplish that? Is that the lot they fill first? Last?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'm only trying to find a solution to what appears to be a personal problem considering the comments hear. Not trying to complain. I pity the hardest of party animals trying to sleep where I was forced to last year.
June 10, 2014 11:46PM
They fill the very back lot first and work their way forward, its more quiet back there and you dont have those obnoxious lights glaring down on your camp all night.
June 11, 2014 12:43AM
Haha Ninja, it was necessary retaliation for "bitch better have my money" on repeat.
[youtu.be]
The best way to sleep is to stay in the family camp. Great sound during the day, quiet as can be at night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2014 12:53AM by bun n cheese.
June 11, 2014 12:46AM
Maybe try to reserve one of 15 rooms at the Boonville Hotel far in advance for next year's festival.
June 11, 2014 12:48AM
From 2009,
[snwmf.com]

DubDude
I seem to recall the statement "this aint no shakespear festival" made by a boardie a few years back........My memory may be waaaaaay off admittedly, but wasnt it you who said that?
June 11, 2014 12:50AM
CrookedSmile you have revealed yourself smiling smiley

Nice to see you online
June 11, 2014 02:04AM
If your tired you will go to sleep - if not lay there and listen to all the fun everybody is having … I have plenty of pictures of my friends sleeping on my 18" subwoofers while I'm killin it on the decks!!!
June 11, 2014 02:18AM
Must have been a different Steve-O.......but definitely said it. Nice draw bun.
June 11, 2014 02:36AM
It appears Sierra has finally become too dread for Stevo...........
June 11, 2014 02:59AM
Hell, maybe I did say it DubDude. I totally forgot if I did though. SNWMF definitely not too dread for I & I.smoking smiley Hopefully it's not too dread for you either 420P. You makin it this year?

I actually slept last year, because I was tired. I realize there's really nowhere to look for a solution but myself. That's why I'm just asking for suggestions. Mainly on arrival time strategies in order to influence where I am camping. Also may have some folks roll with who need special consideration when it comes to the 3-6AM noise levels. Thanks for the tip Renegade.

Does anyone know how stacked the line is for camping when they first start funneling the campers in? Or how early I would have to arrive in order to be among the first 50 vehicles?
June 11, 2014 03:26AM
Cars start lining up road side about 7ish, ee stay at Hendy Woods on Thurs night so we can get in line around 8 and we have been in the back lot every year.
June 11, 2014 05:18AM
Stevo
SNWMF definitely not too dread for I & I.smoking smiley Hopefully it's not too dread for you either 420P. You makin it this year?

Of course man. Wouldn't miss it. Still doing my same job for the fest and love it. It's not too dread, but I've become more tame. My 11 year old will be next to me. He's caught the reggae fever! YES!!!! Will have some irie bredren comin along too. You'd probably enjoy rapping out with a couple of em. Serious crate diggers. Heavy knowledge archive.
June 11, 2014 04:47PM
Our group of cars has been the first cars in for the past 3 or 4 years now. We get there at most an hour early, but probably about 30 min early. It should definitely be easy to be in with the first 50 cars!

We've had the furthest campsite a couple times in regular camp, at the verrrry back corner, and I remember it being somewhat quieter BUT the walk from the campsite to the venue gets tiring after a couple trips! It's not that far, but if you're the type of person who likes to head back to camp to rest a little, eat, hangout, etc, multiple times during the day then it gets tiring.

If you're some of the first people in regular camp, the area circled in yellow is where they start putting people first - at least that's where it was when I still camped in regular camp.

June 11, 2014 08:54PM
Avoid? That's a definitive term so I'll answer with that in mind.

For the last couple of years it seems like the Late Night Security have been enforcing the no amplified music in the campsite around the bridge. Might try timing your entrance for that.

When you get to your assigned-on-the-spot camping spot, don't immediately go into unpack / setup mode. if someone pulls next to you and starts to unpack a PA system, then hop in your vehicle and move.

One year I came in on Saturday morning, crew got there Friday. I parked and packed my things to their camp. Turned out we were stuck between to DoucheJ's who were in it battle style. (DoucheJ=No Skills, more power than talent, use their system as a weapon). When I got tired of their shenanigans, I left camp and went to my vehicle and it was quiet and peaceful. If you're looking to decrease the risk and avoid noise might use a similar strategy.

Go to family camp. They are pretty well self-policed for outrageous sound. Might find that its too quiet though - spooky quiet at a festival.

Best of luck. I'm that early riser guy, so I let my neighbors know that coffee/noise starts around 8am. Gotta make things work together and avoid the bad feelings / frustrations and enjoy yourself at the festi!
June 11, 2014 09:12PM
Who comes to a music festival to sleep? If your body needs sleep so bad wouldn't you be able to sleep thru the music?? I guess normally by the time I leave the dancehall I am so irie I can just pass out. It is usually the people that start the music at 7am that gets to me. But with that being said, respect is the key word here. Respect your neighbors and everything will work out just fine! I must admit though I have never been stuck to the dude blaring dub step all night tweaking out to who knows what, if that happens this year maybe I will change my mind. LOL
June 11, 2014 09:25PM
hippycheese

For the last couple of years it seems like the Late Night Security have been enforcing the no amplified music in the campsite around the bridge. Might try timing your entrance for that.

Go to family camp. They are pretty well self-policed for outrageous sound. Might find that its too quiet though - spooky quiet at a festival.

The spooky quiet comment about family camp made me chuckle. I stayed in family camp with some friends one year in Angel's Camp. It was awesome to lay down at night with relative quiet. However, it was not so awesome to wake up just after 6am each day to some mom yelling "Billy get away from their tents, Billy get over here, Billy stop doing that..." over and over as her little Billy ran amok around the campsite. That was my last experience with family camp. I will return there when my kids are old enough that I want to bring them (likely 10 y.o. or so).

Stevo....If you are going for the area by the bridge, around 1pm is a good time.
June 12, 2014 12:18AM
Now we're talking. Great input. Thanks niceup, hippycheese, christina! I kinda lost touch with the GA camping entry after working and camping inside for a few years.
June 15, 2014 06:14AM
Close those doors on the RV
June 15, 2014 09:00AM
niceup

Stevo....If you are going for the area by the bridge, around 1pm is a good time.

Yup, I can vouch for that around 1 - 2 PM will put you fairly close to the bridge. It's worked that way for me every year at Boonville.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login