Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

THE MIGHTY ROOTS OF ENGLISHMAN

Posted by ras2thebone 
THE MIGHTY ROOTS OF ENGLISHMAN
June 19, 2014 11:51AM
The Mighty Roots of Englishman

Englishman and Maccabee: How Reggae Took DC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 09:29AM by ras2thebone.
Re: THE MIGHTY ROOTS OF ENGLISHMAN
June 19, 2014 01:48PM
i used to regularly see englishman around DC back in the 90s, then he fell off the map. he played a wicked bass and could hold down the mic as well.

i saw him play once with the itals in silver spring, MD maybe around '96, and this lady emcee kept blabbing on and on over englishman's set. and actually coaxed the band into playing three little birds (or something like that) so she could sing along. he let it go for a verse or two until he finally cut her off, i remember everyone was cracking up like "oh dear lord, please get this woman off stage"
June 19, 2014 07:23PM
DC had the best live Reggae scene in the 80-90's!
June 26, 2014 09:33AM
treez
i used to regularly see englishman around DC back in the 90s, then he fell off the map. he played a wicked bass and could hold down the mic as well.

i saw him play once with the itals in silver spring, MD maybe around '96, and this lady emcee kept blabbing on and on over englishman's set. and actually coaxed the band into playing three little birds (or something like that) so she could sing along. he let it go for a verse or two until he finally cut her off, i remember everyone was cracking up like "oh dear lord, please get this woman off stage"

Yes, that is too funny. Sounds just like Englishman. It's crazy that he still gigs 2,3,4 nights a week to a packed house. Something that I left out of the story is the fact that he is seeking to re-issue some of his albums to vinyl. Talking to some of the re-issue labels now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login