Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Don't miss Bitty Mclean!

Posted by jcom 
Don't miss Bitty Mclean!
June 21, 2014 03:00AM
Don't miss Bitty Mclean! Amazing voice and performer.
Re: Don't miss Bitty Mclean!
June 25, 2014 04:52AM
I hope everyone took this advice... Cuz Bitty was the best act of the weekend!

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 25, 2014 05:34AM
HiGrade1
I hope everyone took this advice... Cuz Bitty was the best act of the weekend!
Seriously!!! He was so good im considering ROTR just to catch Bitty again.....
June 25, 2014 05:50AM
From everything I've heard it seems to be a pretty broad consensus that he was the top performer this year. SNWMF should bring him back ASAP. Next year would definitely not be too soon.
June 26, 2014 07:14AM
I told you guys!!!!!
June 26, 2014 07:50AM
Stoked to hear this because he's the one iam most looking forward to at rotr
June 26, 2014 02:55PM
I'll make sure to catch Bitty at ROTR. Couldn't make the call at snwmf.

Love that reggae!
June 26, 2014 04:51PM
Bitty McLean has a fantastic voice and put on a good show. Being unfamiliar with his tunes going in , I was underwhelmed by the amount of covers he sang and the few I thought were originals were for the ladies. Does he have a release of originals?
June 26, 2014 04:58PM
There were plenty of originals and all of his releases going back to the 90's are loaded with originals!
June 26, 2014 05:27PM
Hmmm alright, in checking the net it seems his biggest hits chart wise were fats domino or Shirelles covers. It seemed like I recognized 1/2 his tunes as covers which surprised me and prompted the question. Loved Bitty's voice and vibe . Sly and Robbie annual showcase mi say.
June 27, 2014 08:04AM
Check out his latest record called TAXI Sessions, heavy badness all around.

On the topic of covers, who cares? He interprets those songs in such a way that they become his.
July 02, 2014 06:53PM
Personally, I could not get into Bitty's set, his voice was powerful and loud but didn't wow me or make me want to listen to it. To be fair after two songs I left to camp to get ready for Michael Rose! Loved his set, thought that Michael Rose and Sly N Robbie was the highlight of Saturday, definitely going to ROTR so I will give Bitty another shot and hear out his whole set.
July 03, 2014 08:54PM
it's a stylistic ting.... some people don't rock out to Alton Ellis either.... but some folks really do! i'm one of those folks.

some really like singers and older sounds, some like newer dancehall and harder lyrics, some like roots sounds and deep lyrics...... i think it's just a matter of what kind of reggae you are into. for me, i listened to every moment (and you couldn't have paid me to miss it) of Bitty's set before going back to camp during Mykal Rose. see, I just can't get into his tu tu tu tweng, whats my name?, here's another black uhuru song, live shows... even though i like some of his releases.

it's all good though. that's the beauty of this festival is that there are styles for everyone's tastes....

hopefully when you check Bitty at the river you will enjoy it more....

let us know.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 03, 2014 10:54PM
Appreciate your understanding Hi Grade! As I am sure you know I am a big Midnite fan, I love Vaughn's chanting style and there laid back mellow vibes. Singers a lot of time just don't do anything for me. (Tarrus Riley is the exception) Does Bitty have an amazing voice? YES HE DOES, but the vibe just didn't hit me and I couldn't get into his set so I left. Now all I keep hearing is how Bitty's set was the best of the weekend, I did not stick around to give him a chance to make my own mind up on that. So since I am going to ROTR I will not miss his set and will most certainly report back what I think when I have given him a fair chance!

I understand where you are coming from with Michael Rose, for me Black Uhuru was the first reggae band I fell in love with after Bob Marley and the wailers, they have a very special place in my heart and it was the first time for me seeing Michael Rose with Sly N Robbie. I have seen Don Carlos with Sly N Robbie doing a classic black Uhuru set, I have seen Michael Rose without Sly N Robbie, I have even seen Duckie Simpson doing his thing with Andrew Bees. So Saturday night was a real treat for me, the main reason I am going to ROTR, I want to catch those vibes again! Sponji Reggae, Shine Eye Gal, Guess who's coming to dinner, I just love those songs to name a few.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 11:01PM by rossta8888.
July 04, 2014 12:00AM
gbougard
Check out his latest record called TAXI Sessions, heavy badness all around.

On the topic of covers, who cares? He interprets those songs in such a way that they become his.

Regarding cover songs, lots of people have an opinion. A common one being that 1 or 2 covers in a set is fine even great but it's not why you go, you go to hear original material from an artist . Of all the different Marley shows throughout the years I've heard plenty of " great set but I could have done with a few less bob covers", and that's marleys sons singing his tunes.
Regarding the TAXI release, no surprise the riddim twins released a production that is heavy badness all around, right, I mean Snead o Conner sounded alright on the TAXI production. Not saying everything they touch turns to gold but I bet they bring out the best in working with some singers.
July 04, 2014 05:50AM
There are lots of folks that love every type of reggae from the earliest Alton Ellis and Rocksteady , studio one to the latest twins of twins , alkaline dancehall whatever.
I agree it's a stylistic thing in that you can love the genre, sub genre but some artists style don't do it for you. So everyone's ear is always a little different in what they're favorites are. For me Josey Wales out stiddly diddlied Barrington levy by far , granted I've seen Barrington stiddly the same old diddily for years now. Is that where his stiddily came from? He finally put out some new music and the new single is a damn date rape song ( different tangent my bad).
Your right Hi Grade lots of people are into roots and not dance hall at all and vice versa. Same way Though Lots of heads are also into it all and annually spend summer solstice soaking in all the different reggae styles.

HiGrade1
it's a stylistic ting.... some people don't rock out to Alton Ellis either.... but some folks really do! i'm one of those folks.

some really like singers and older sounds, some like newer dancehall and harder lyrics, some like roots sounds and deep lyrics...... i think it's just a matter of what kind of reggae you are into. for me, i listened to every moment (and you couldn't have paid me to miss it) of Bitty's set before going back to camp during Mykal Rose. see, I just can't get into his tu tu tu tweng, whats my name?, here's another black uhuru song, live shows... even though i like some of his releases.

it's all good though. that's the beauty of this festival is that there are styles for everyone's tastes....

hopefully when you check Bitty at the river you will enjoy it more....

let us know.
July 05, 2014 10:00PM
I'd track the stdiddley diddley vocalese to Lone Ranger---then plenty singer/dj/singjay followed suit.

But who before? If anyone...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login