Advanced

Favorite artist of 2014

Posted by Jr.Bong 
Favorite artist of 2014
June 24, 2014 03:30PM
????! Who's was the best in your minds
Re: Favorite artist of 2014
June 24, 2014 03:46PM
For me...toss up between Tarrus and Barrington!!
June 24, 2014 03:46PM
Clinton F & BB Band
June 24, 2014 03:48PM
either Bitty or Tarrus.
Ash
June 24, 2014 04:11PM
Seun Kuti, Kabaka Pyramid, Cultura Profetica, Rebelution.

Shaggy was horrible, hopefully he will never be back...
June 24, 2014 04:22PM
Great,great opener with Kabaka
Fantastic closer with Black Slate
And oh that sweet, sweet Bitty in the middle
with solid roots all around including a double dose of Josey
Nirvana on earth
June 24, 2014 04:58PM
Agreed and Agreed!
June 24, 2014 05:03PM
Mykal Rose amongst MANY other great performers! Jambinai was the "hidden gem" of the weekend this year.

Shaggy with his un-family friendly vibe was most disappointing...

Give thanks to all organizers and volunteers, and we will see you again next year!

Bless, Jason
June 24, 2014 06:15PM
Josey wales and mighty crown coming through thank you!!
June 24, 2014 06:49PM
loved friday night over on village, from kabaka all the way to clinton that stage went off huge.

sly and robbie were fantastic backing for one of my new favs bitty mclean. but everything on that stage until shaggy was great.

adrian with josey was short but so sweeeeet.

loved barrington's set as well.
June 24, 2014 07:04PM
Derrick Morgan - Boss Ruler (back up band KILLED)
Taurus Riley - oh my
Daddy U-Roy !! From them clean ass white shoes to fitted brim! Legend
Kabaka Pyramid - fyah fyah fyah
Clinton Fearon - wow
Barrington - rebelution had no chance after his set
Candelaria - feet started dancin on their own
Adrian Sherwood - thought his last hour or so was some of the best selections I've heard at boonville

Roger Rivas from the Aggrolites playin Organ with the Tamlins!

Weak Sauce:
Shaggy
Rebelution
(Neither deserved headlining status) should have had Jah Dan one night!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 08:25PM by Joshwa.
June 24, 2014 07:06PM
Kabaka, Morgan Heritage, Mykal Rose, & Tarrus Riley were my favorites.

Shaggy was by far the worst, followed by Rebelution. Rebelution isn't terrible or anything, just not my style. My problem is with when they played. If they played at 1:30 instead of Morgan Heritage there would be no problems, in my opinion.
June 24, 2014 08:39PM
Kabaka
Barrington
Jahdan
Tarrus
Hollie Cook
Saritah

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
June 24, 2014 08:55PM
Mykal Rose and Tarrus Riley were 2 of my favorites. Worst one for me was Shaggy. I was a bit juvenile after a,few Shaggy songs. I was the one up front with 2 lil birds flying high (middle fingers) then I couldn't handle anymore and walk away. That was a horrible set, horrible Headliner. Please please never let him headline again.
June 24, 2014 09:03PM
Bitty. No question
June 24, 2014 09:11PM
Black slate
The tamlins
Kabaka pyramid
June 24, 2014 09:13PM
Bitty, URoy, Carlton, Bob Andy...
June 24, 2014 09:28PM
Kabaka, chuck fenda, u-Roy, Tarrus, cultura profetica (was really surprised and impressed by these guys) were my tops.

I appreciated the diversity of Jambinai, and I can tell they are musically talented, but man...it sounded like heavy metal from the street and even more intense in the festival. A little much for early Saturday morning..my two cents.

I was looking forward to josey the most, and loved it, but was hoping for a little more, I wanted to be wowed.

Morgan heritage was strong, they were really pushing, ' Morgan heritages return to Snwmf'. Like we forgot about them or something. Their brethren from Senegal...eh. Otherwise they had plenty of hits, some from the late 90s I would think, that still hit pretty hard.
June 24, 2014 09:36PM
Shaggy was the best………………..waste of time…….
…..No really. Chuck Fenda and Clinton Fearon…and kabaka was great…..strong openers at 11 am. bad closers..Jahdan would have been a better closer.
June 24, 2014 10:10PM
Hard for me to say what was my favorite. Loved friday night at the village. Loved Jah Dan and Zvuloon Dub, Carleton and maybe my favorite, Derrick Morgan. Led onto the stage, placed in front of the chair, mic put into his hand....but the second he sang a note the party was on! Loved Carol Thompson and Black Slate, who closed with 'Ba Ba Boom'!

I'll have a better idea after i review the tapes. I recorded 13 complete shows and 2 partials. Kabaka Pyramid, Chuck Fenda, Josey Wales, Clinton Fearon, Jah Dan, Zvuloon, the Tamlins, U roy, Carleton and his Shoes, Derrick Morgan, Anuhea, Carol Thompson and Black Slate were fully recorded, and Morgan Heritage and Tarrus i got about 20 minutes of each. Give thanks for arm strength!

Love that reggae!
June 24, 2014 10:16PM
Seun was incredible- the lights and fog
My favorite performance but I fully dug the Delirians
Backing Derrick Morgan and Carlton & the Shoes

Never seen before -Ester Rada! Amazing
As was Zuvloon.

Was sad John Holt didn't make it- hope he heals for 2015
Glad Uroy came back after illness last year

As this is a world music Fest the miles of traveling
Between stages thru the intl food court totally made
Me thankful for feeling like I visited Brazil, Nigeria,
Ethiopia, Jamaica, Israel, and a lot of other places
Without leaving Boonville.

No More Shaggy- ever.
June 24, 2014 10:17PM
I miss a lot of sets, but enjoyed the vast majority of what I saw. Bitty and Tarrus were the best I saw, and also saw pieces of nice performances from Kabaka Pyramid, Josey Wales, Chuck Fenda, The Tamlins, Hollie Cook, Prezident Brown, U Roy, and Clinton Fearon. My only dissapointments that I saw were Shaggy (bizzare set overall...) and Carlton and the Shoes (excellent backing band but Carlton's voice was terrible - way off key to the point that it was painful to listen to)
June 24, 2014 11:56PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 11:57PM by jcom.
June 24, 2014 11:58PM
DJ Jacques : WBLK Dancehall Massive
Bitty. No question

I wasn't able to make it, but I saw him earlier this year with S&R ans I was blown away. Told y'all not to miss him!
June 25, 2014 12:00AM
nomotrouble
Hard for me to say what was my favorite. Loved friday night at the village. Loved Jah Dan and Zvuloon Dub, Carleton and maybe my favorite, Derrick Morgan. Led onto the stage, placed in front of the chair, mic put into his hand....but the second he sang a note the party was on! Loved Carol Thompson and Black Slate, who closed with 'Ba Ba Boom'!

I'll have a better idea after i review the tapes. I recorded 13 complete shows and 2 partials. Kabaka Pyramid, Chuck Fenda, Josey Wales, Clinton Fearon, Jah Dan, Zvuloon, the Tamlins, U roy, Carleton and his Shoes, Derrick Morgan, Anuhea, Carol Thompson and Black Slate were fully recorded, and Morgan Heritage and Tarrus i got about 20 minutes of each. Give thanks for arm strength!

Can't wait to see Clinton Fearon! I'll put in a vote for editing and posting his show 1st since I wasn't able to make it this year! ; ) Bless
June 25, 2014 12:38AM
There were many many strong performances,my personal favorite being Adrian Sherwood's commanding mix Friday night inna dancehall-primo sound from Commanche on that venture. I was surprised to hear him pull so many classics-merged nicely with the hard-hitting On-U Sound exclusives.
June 25, 2014 02:47AM
Jcom, i think i have to do Black Slate for Daniel first, then Clinton. I've watched some of most of the videos. The new camera performs it's function well.

Love that reggae!
June 25, 2014 03:28AM
Great weekend with a lot of great performances... But just so that it doesn't go unnoticed I would like to point out my favorite DJ set of the Weekend~> Spliff Skankin/Massive Sound Int. Sunday Night at the Valley Stage! Wicked Wicked Selections (all Vinyl) from the Veteran DJ/Radio Host/MC.!!!
Favorite Performance was def. from Bitty & the Taxi Gang thumbs upthumbs up

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 25, 2014 03:39AM
Bitty was the hands down highlight for me this weekend. Love love loved his set. Such an amazing voice and veteran stage presence.

Coming in at a very very close second is Taurus.
June 25, 2014 04:38AM
BITTY....... For so many reasons was the highlight of my weekend.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 25, 2014 05:47AM
It's just about impossible for me to just pick out one or two favorites, even cutting it off at a top ten is tough. This year, SNWMF sealed its rep as a world class music festival. Warren and company put on a fest that rivals the best I have seen in Jamaica.

My top 10 oerformances:

10. Black Slate - One of the few classic groups that I have not paid much attention to over the past few decades. I can see that I was really missing something and will need to listen to them more. Boom, Boom! Rasta Festival! In addition to a full set of their own music, they did a great job backing up Carroll Thompson.

9. Kabaka Pyramid - I listened to some of his music before the show and liked him, but wasn't knocked out. However, he probably got the festival off to its strongest start ever and really set the pace with his rip-roaring set Friday evening.

8. Hollie Cook - There was definitely reason to believe that much of her success from last year had to do with her great backing band and her great producer, Prince Fatty. The other factor which was discussed for her appeal is the fact that she is a very pretty and sexy young lady. MC Jr. Francis correctly described her as a playful kitten on stage. I really couldn't get close enough to see her, but even with a pick up band from LA and without the benefit of being able to see her, she still gave a wonderful performance. I just love her smokey smoothe voice. If anything, she sounded more in control of her vocals than last year. Classy lady that she is, she gave major props to her backing band and to Carroll Thompson, whom she identified as a major influence. Having listened to both these beautiful ladies this weekend, I could feel and hear the connection.

7. Carroll Thompson - It's nice to hear that Barrington acquitted himself well this year, I'll have to catch his set in Portland later this summer. However, I have seen him a dozen times and will get to see him again soon, whereas I have never seen Ms. Thompson. So glad I didn't miss her. A lovely lady with a lovely voice and great stage presence. My biggest complaint of the festival, which given all the great music we got is pretty minor, is the timing in putting her up against Barrington Levy. For that reason alone, I hope Warren and company consider bringing her back, soon and in a better time slot.

6. Bob Andy - Like Carlton and the Shoes, a little bit rough in the beginning, but came back strong and sweet with a lot of heart.

5, Raging Fyah - Very impressed by this young band from Jamaica. They are another Roots Underground. For me, the sleeper act of this year's festival. Wonderful to see such a young band doing such authentic hard core roots and culture that so obviously comes straight from the heart.

4. Michael Rose - One of the top voices in Reggae, both in terms of quality and popularity. He still has it. That Grammy was not a fluke.

3. Carlton and the Shoes - Had a little trouble early in his set with what sounded like some respiratory issues, but came back strong with a beautiful rendition of "Never Give Your Heart Away". Both he and Derrick Morgan were well-served by their backing band, the Delurians (sp?) from LA. Did anybody catch the set they were going to do that wasn't on the schedule? I was tempted but really didn't want to miss Morgan Heritage.

2, Josey Wales - I was so excited to get to see him and was not dissappointed by either of his sets. A nice, rough contrast to all the very pretty voices we heard this year made him stand out. Few can ride a rhythm the way he can.

1. Bitty McLean - What a voice!!! His set was as close to a perfect performance as I have ever heard in my entire life! I'm embarrassed to say that I have not been following him. He sure as hell has my attention now! Hands down the best performance of the fest and not because of any lack of competition.

Agree with what others have said about Shaggy, I liked him during his last performance and was looking forward to hearing him again. However, this year, his attempts at raunchy humor fell flat. He just wasn't that funny or entertaining. Maybe he would have been better served by doing some more of the rootsy stuff from his new album.

I heard a little of Rebelution from my camp site after Black Slate and while not one of my favorites, I think they have talent and wouldn't mind hearing them again.

Clinton Fearon, while just missing my top 10 performances due to some INCREDIBLE competition was the best of the headliners.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 06:09AM by Jah Mike.
June 25, 2014 05:47AM
-Kabaka was epic festy opener. Josey and Clinton super good. Thought Chuck Fenda set was a tad slow.
-JahDan at 11:00 am...Boom. Hollie, U-Roy great. Always solid, super danceable but too short of set from the Prez. Mykal's set was good but seemed like the songs could have 'popped' a little more. And as for Shaggy...when he was actually singing songs it sounded pretty good but half the set was BS with all the wack machismo, phallic microphone crap... absolutely terrible.
-Mighty crown brought the energy Saturday night in the dancehall...that was refreshing.
-Morgan Heritage solid.
- unfortunately had to miss Tarrus and Barrington.
-solstice yoga...huge turnout on solstice Saturday. Don't sleep on this next year!
June 25, 2014 06:03AM
I really cant choose one so it's a tie between derrick morgan, clinton fearon, and barrington levy.
June 27, 2014 05:29PM
Clinton Fearon
Josey Wales
Hollie Cook
Raging Fyah
Tarrus Riley
Kabaka Pyramid

I also thought Michael Rose killed it Saturday night with Sly N Robbie!
June 27, 2014 06:03PM
1.Tarrus Riley!!!!! Amazing.

2.Kabaka Pyramid! Fire Bitty Mclean! Sweet Treat

3. Barrington Levy-Michael Rose-Chuck Fenda-Raging Fyah-Tamlins-Morgan Heritage-Jah Dan-Anuhea, S and R, Josey, URoy, Z Dub S....everyone esle (it was all soo good)
June 27, 2014 11:30PM
Kabaka....Great energy to start off the show, sounded real nice.

Josey Wales....Pleasure to see a veteran dancehall artist run the stage, and inna the dancehall was special. "Jeezasss Cryyyst!!!"

Black Slate....Wow, maybe my 2nd favorite set of the weekend. The vocalist was top notch.

Tarrus.......My favorite of the weekend, when he played "My Day" I almost lost it. Him and Dean going back and forth was super cool.

Clinton......Pure magic on the village stage.

Irie Dole........In the RV area Sunday night runnin tings. Papa Wastik and a bunch of other vocalists touching the mic was a real nice way to end.

I must say, I missed a lot of acts due to hanging out with friends.....It was worth it tho.
June 28, 2014 05:39AM
My top 3 were Bitty, Tarrus, and Kabaka... I had the most fun sat night in the dancehall during Mighty Crown

Respect Same Way
June 28, 2014 05:38PM
Tarrus Riley- toppa tings yard and abroad ....
Josey Wales- thank you promoters

I too had the most fun during mighty crow,, repeat high energy world class sound fi 2015!
June 30, 2014 11:20PM
Derrick Morgan

Josey Wales

Raging Fyah

U-Roy
July 01, 2014 02:26AM
BLACK SLATE

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
July 01, 2014 07:07PM
1. Black Slate!!
2. Josey Wales!

3. Clinton Fearon
4. Bitty McLean / Sly & Robbie
5. Tarrus Riley
6. Hollie Cook
July 01, 2014 07:35PM
Kabaka, Clinton Fearon, Bitty, Barrington, Dennis Morgan.
All killer, high vibes, so good to see artists who are joyful in their performances.
July 02, 2014 12:51AM
My favorite interview I think was Carlton Manning. All I had to do was say "tell us a little about yourself" and he led us on the entire intriguing journey of his life, not pulling any punches when it got to the music industry and how he feels about his treatment therein. I think I am more excited about working press in 2015 than ever, and It doesn't even matter about the line-up. I trust Warren Smith wholeheartedly! And respect the heck outta the man for allowing me back year after year! In 8 years of SNWMF I've seen virtually ALL of my favorite artists and more!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
July 03, 2014 06:47AM
Tarrus Riley's take on the Reggae Revival was interesting. Anyone catch that?

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 03, 2014 09:57AM
Bitty McLean + Sly & Robbie were heads and shoulders above the rest.

Best singer

+

Best band ever

cant really top that

I found a live album recorded in Tokyo that totallyrocks. it's on itunes and other online stores.
July 03, 2014 10:46PM
DJ Treez
Tarrus Riley's take on the Reggae Revival was interesting. Anyone catch that?

I caught his whole set but maybe was a bit to irie, I missed that DJ Treez, what was that all about? I am very curious, I am really getting into the whole reggae revival right now with Chronixx, Protoje, Kabaka, Jah9, Hempress Sativa and others that I have not discovered yet I am sure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login