Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shaggy rant

Posted by SCRoots 
Shaggy rant
June 24, 2014 06:27PM
What disturbed you most about the Headliner thread ..
Shaggy should be banned for life from SN for dukeing all over the place and making a donkey of himself, what a cartoon character. fling bokkle & tomato and next artist .
Fake.Completely Out of tune with Sierra vibe in my opinion.
Re: Shaggy rant
June 24, 2014 06:35PM
BOOOMTOWN!!!!! a little cheerleading isn't bad but when that is your entire schtick you obviously have no talent to fall back on.
June 24, 2014 06:38PM
Dividing the crowd with middle fingers instead of entertaining with chune.
June 24, 2014 08:50PM
YES, Shaggy was pretty bad. Enough said !
June 24, 2014 08:56PM
SNWMF is living off the 90s crowd.. with this same crowd, who came up on makeda, roger steffens, sd/lbc/sf bob days, lbc queen mary day, etc, becomes older, the festy enthusiasm will fade.. the children of this crowd will not carry the swing nor have the same love of that one drop style. emd they seh. 10yrs max.
June 24, 2014 08:59PM
B-side players gave an upful performance! really enjoyed their set and was real nice seeing them checking out Jambinai the next morning at the valley stage.....we didn't make it past the village stage for the headliners even one night this year.....I think that's a first in about 12 years running now....
June 24, 2014 09:13PM
well, someone is a shaggy fan.....
clint dempsey "shaggy" goal...

June 24, 2014 09:33PM
B-side players were better. Shaggy was a d-bag. After a couple of "songs" we got tired of being yelled at and checked the b-side. They made an honest effort and sounded nice. Minimal yelling at the audience.

Nuff shouting later by Mighty Crown in the dancehall, though, which was rocking.
June 25, 2014 04:12AM
How can one artist incite such negative reaction here and on Facebook, wow.

Anyway, really enjoyed Shaggy's performance. He is a great and gifted entertainer who can really wow the crowd with his energy and flair for comedy that can move anywhere from self-deprecation to some fairly clever jokes. He did a crowd-pleasing set of many of his numerous worldwide hits. Where we viewed the show from, a lot of people seemed very much into it. My only drawback is the lack of songs he performed from his great new Sly & Robbie produced album "Out of Many, One Music. At his fairly recent San Francisco show, he performed several tunes from the album. It would have been nice to have heard at least a few more at his SNWMF 2014 show. Throughout his 20+ year career in Reggae and Pop music, including on stage at SNWMF 2014, he's clearly stated what he does & what he's about, which is the party/dance oriented Mr. Lover Lover vibe, of which he never really takes all that seriously to begin with. If anything, his music seems to have matured since the Boombastic & Hotshot periods as evidenced by the Summer In Kingston and Out Many, One Music albums. I have no doubt that he has a huge respect for the history and culture of the music. Shaggy is a Reggae Artist with crossover appeal worldwide that includes having broken through the extremely difficult American market & charts which seems to often treat reggae as a novelty or just plain ignores. From Ska & Rocksteady Legends like Millie Small Desmond Dekker & Johnny Nash, to Jimmy Cliff, Third World, UB40, Inner Circle, Ini Kamoze, Sean Paul, Maxi Priest and several others who've somehow done this as well, it certainly is no easy feat. Artists like Shaggy have probably brought many people in to Reggae who may not have heard it before or paid any attention to it by virtue of hearing it on the pop/mainstream charts & radio, etc.

We stood at the Valley Stage on Saturday through The Tamlins, U-Roy, Prezident Brown, Sly & Robbie and The Taxi Gang, Bob Andy, Bitty McLean Mykal Rose and Shaggy. it was a truly great Saturday with many moments we'll forever cherish along with the entire Festival. We'd also seen fantastic Zvuloon Dub System earlier that day. One of the truly beautiful aspects of this wonderful Festival, is that you can experience a wide variety of artists who encompass the entire spectrum of the world of of Reggae, Ska, Rocksteady & World Music. Shaggy is just one part of this wide world of Reggae music. Like all reggae artists, he puts his own particular stamp upon it.

Peace,
Bagga......
June 25, 2014 04:24AM
Gotta chime in with Baggy here... (By the way it was nice to meet both you and Jolene..). I thinks its just one of those follow the crowd type situations... It's über cool to hate on the guy everyone else is hating on.... Aside from his over the top sexual content and the unfortunate flipping off one side of the audience moment, I have nothing negative to say.about his performance (here in 2014 or back in the day in 2005, which was hated on before and after his appearance.) Sure there are grip of better foundation artists out there but none a we can deny that for better or worse Shaggy is a part and parcel of the music we all love.

My 2¢...
June 25, 2014 05:32AM
I've seen shaggy a couple of times and used to really enjoy his stuff. His stage show has not matured, although his audience sure has. He might want to check the Facebook reviews of Saturdays performance. Universal disappointment. Not reggae-snob hating. Just plain dissatisfaction with the set.
June 25, 2014 05:55AM
When he was playing/singing songs it was a pretty fun, danceable show. All the crap in between made it very frustrating. I was almost embarrassed for him.

I too wished he played more tunes off his more recent album. Not sure how you play tunes live that you record with other artists with though...
June 25, 2014 03:28PM
I wasn't there...

However... I like to talk so.. first off... using Facebook and this Forum to determine "universal disappointment" is a bad strategy. You should stick to "from what I have seen not many people enjoyed the show".

There is a difference in what is passable from a dance hall artist in the SE and NE and what appears to fly with a "festival crowd". It would help if the festival crowd understood half of what they were seeing. It would also help if the artist bothered to look up where they were going. I saw this happen with Sean Paul a few years back at ROTR... for those that were there you know what I mean.
June 25, 2014 04:42PM
I gots no problem with Shaggy. To each his own, naturally---but I will say I've never heard a syllable of put-down for this artist on the Jamaican side of things, be it listener or performer.
June 25, 2014 05:26PM
what happens in California is not the same "reggae" that everyone else is listening to. By California I don't mean the state... I mean the Left Coast in general... I don't see actual Dancehall artist getting much love. This has been the case for a while. I hear a lot about the "Vibe". Don't have a reggae festival is half of the actual artist performing reggae aren't the right "vibe". Like I said (many times before). SNWMF does a VERY good job of presenting a diverse line up which gives you a little bit of everything. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a problem. I guess that the vast majority of the "so called Rasta" crowd didn't want anything to do with Shaggy prior to, during or after his set..

All of that said... I will ALWAYS big up Shaggy for his works with Bustamante Children's Hospital...Nuff artist who take the stage and don't "upset the vibe" never lift a finger to help those less fortunate than them... just my opinion.
June 25, 2014 06:01PM
I saw this happen with Sean Paul a few years back at ROTR... for those that were there you know what I mean.

I wasn't there but a reliable first hand account, and yeah, I follow you.
June 25, 2014 06:17PM
I enjoyed his set. Song selection could have been a bit better, but the DJ bit he did was entertaining, and Oh Carolina always makes me move. Everyone dancing near me (near mixer) seemed to be having a good time.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
June 25, 2014 06:42PM
I enjoyed Shaggy's set this time around. Some of the dialog between Shaggy and Rayvon was a little unnecessary and didn't quite fit with the festival vibe...felt it wasted a little time... but overall enjoyed it. Especially how he came out full force pon the Street Bullies Riddim thumbs upthumbs up Big Tune & Riddim IMO! Speaking of Rayvon, it was great to see him long side Shaggy. I've always rated Rayvon with or with out Shaggy. Great Voice Still and the two balance each other out nicely. The Slack Vibe was def. a nice change of pace for SNWMF SAT. Night Headliner.

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 25, 2014 07:10PM
My honest opinion is that he was boring. Just not interesting. It's the same schtick. Which is a shame cause the man has done great things, musically and socially.
June 25, 2014 07:56PM
He lost me from the jump. I thought it was horrible. Was not a fitting headliner following the preceding artists. I'd have been fine with Rose finishing the night and one other artists in the preceding group instead. To me he just didn't fit the vibe that preceded him.
June 25, 2014 09:10PM
Going from a great day with President Brown and wonderful family vibes to "HAVE U EVA BEN CAUGHT BANGIN?" hanging his mic out his pants and stroking it was a douchebag move to say the least. Lets have a roots reggae next year and leave the dance hall in the city.
June 25, 2014 10:27PM
His last album (which is very good) was a weird career move when you consider his live act hasn't changed
June 26, 2014 03:12AM
Straight $#!%

~Highest Heightz Every Time~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 04:31AM by Danny Crucial.
June 26, 2014 03:43AM
I was optimistic shaggy would put on a good headlining set, highly appreciate hearing an artist that has dancehall tunes close the show on a Saturday night, don't mind slackness in the dance hall lyrics ( mighty crown played my favorite set in the dancehall in years). Thought he could have done a lot better.
June 26, 2014 04:39AM
It blows me away that everyone was dissapointed with shaggy... I can't believe anyone would expect anything good from him.. I knew that would be a bust...
June 26, 2014 11:39PM
So here's the thing: I personally expect ALOT from someone like Shaggy, he has money to make good music and he should utilize his platform to perform good music and not rely on serving his "guests" purely "leftovers" from the 90's. His performance set from Saturday night was showed a total lack of respect for the music, the crowd, the promoter, the musicians who he works with in that he artistically put forth nothin new, nothin from his new album and nothing of real value. I have always been a fan of Shaggy and what platform he has created for himself and others and hope he takes the criticism of his performance on Saturday night seriously. My comments and criticism are solely pertaining to his inability to truly entertain the entire crowd with something artistic.His "turnt up" gimmicks and his relying on serving the people purely "leftovers" as far as his repertoire was concerned was an artistic disaster. Sure people love hearing those old time party tunes, but come on!!! I read all of the previous comments and about 80% say that while they love hearing the old hits, they want something new, more mature, more artistic and lyrically relevant. If we all have a "brick" in the great wall of reggae as I feel I do then we should expect more from our fellow "bricks" when it comes to respecting the work that goes into stage show performances! It is because I love Shaggy that I say this and maybe I will have the opportunity to say it to him directly and this is what I would say.... (gimme a minute ; )

This is what I would like Shaggy to hear: Yes he had the BEST musicians up there on stage with him, so why the hell did he have them leave the stage for so long??? Why didn't he play this song any of the songs off his album he just released with Sly and Robbie? Did he have a falling out with them or sumthin cause I didn't hear ANY mention of that album or any of the songs from that album...Thats' what I want to know. What is going on really? Can we get a listen to the soundboard recording of that Shaggy set that night? Why would Shaggy not promote that album, it was just released in December of 2013 not that long ago... what a professional waste of time, energy and good musicianship to just sleep on the opportunity to let the fans hear some of those songs LIVE!!! all of those musicians who worked on that album should be pissed!!! he's not respecting the "art" of music by not performing these songs and promoting the album, wasting everybody's time... everybody from fans to promoters (sorry Warren Smith for Shaggy's lackluster unprofessional performance) He was probably thinking Shaggy would have done the majority of these tunes and that's probably why he booked him based on the release of a good album that didn't get any respect on Saturday night and probably missed out on alot of units sold (not sold) due to a very weak stage show performance... "Was he not feeling well?" "Was he in a beef with Sly and Robbie?" Wha Gwan Shaggy? Yuh done? ready for retirement? No time fi rehearse all your new songs? WHAT??? Inquiring minds wanna know... Wha Gwan?(I left halfway through cause my son got board and was "done" listening to Shaggy and his beggin people to get "turnt up" and asking them if they were tired? (no Shaggy we are not tired, but we are getting tired of these gimmicks and leftovers) TBC...
June 27, 2014 12:20AM
irie411
So here's the thing: I personally expect ALOT from someone like Shaggy, he has money to make good music and he should utilize his platform to perform good music and not rely on serving his "guests" purely "leftovers" from the 90's. His performance set from Saturday night was showed a total lack of respect for the music, the crowd, the promoter, the musicians who he works with in that he artistically put forth nothin new, nothin from his new album and nothing of real value. I have always been a fan of Shaggy and what platform he has created for himself and others and hope he takes the criticism of his performance on Saturday night seriously. My comments and criticism are solely pertaining to his inability to truly entertain the entire crowd with something artistic.His "turnt up" gimmicks and his relying on serving the people purely "leftovers" as far as his repertoire was concerned was an artistic disaster. Sure people love hearing those old time party tunes, but come on!!! I read all of the previous comments and about 80% say that while they love hearing the old hits, they want something new, more mature, more artistic and lyrically relevant. If we all have a "brick" in the great wall of reggae as I feel I do then we should expect more from our fellow "bricks" when it comes to respecting the work that goes into stage show performances! It is because I love Shaggy that I say this and maybe I will have the opportunity to say it to him directly and this is what I would say.... (gimme a minute ; )

This is what I would like Shaggy to hear: Yes he had the BEST musicians up there on stage with him, so why the hell did he have them leave the stage for so long??? Why didn't he play this song any of the songs off his album he just released with Sly and Robbie? Did he have a falling out with them or sumthin cause I didn't hear ANY mention of that album or any of the songs from that album...Thats' what I want to know. What is going on really? Can we get a listen to the soundboard recording of that Shaggy set that night? Why would Shaggy not promote that album, it was just released in December of 2013 not that long ago... what a professional waste of time, energy and good musicianship to just sleep on the opportunity to let the fans hear some of those songs LIVE!!! all of those musicians who worked on that album should be pissed!!! he's not respecting the "art" of music by not performing these songs and promoting the album, wasting everybody's time... everybody from fans to promoters (sorry Warren Smith for Shaggy's lackluster unprofessional performance) He was probably thinking Shaggy would have done the majority of these tunes and that's probably why he booked him based on the release of a good album that didn't get any respect on Saturday night and probably missed out on alot of units sold (not sold) due to a very weak stage show performance... "Was he not feeling well?" "Was he in a beef with Sly and Robbie?" Wha Gwan Shaggy? Yuh done? ready for retirement? No time fi rehearse all your new songs? WHAT??? Inquiring minds wanna know... Wha Gwan?(I left halfway through cause my son got board and was "done" listening to Shaggy and his beggin people to get "turnt up" and asking them if they were tired? (no Shaggy we are not tired, but we are getting tired of these gimmicks and leftovers) TBC...

Wow! Close this thread because this dude had the best and most concise shaggy rant yet.
June 27, 2014 02:40AM
UHHHH, not dude! Lady, Empress Irie411 (ie: the highest info!)
But thanks! I think I'll take that as a compliment ; )
June 27, 2014 05:48PM
Shaggy did play 1 song off his new album " Fight this Feeling" the one with Beres Hammond, i think his back up singer Tony Gold did Beres' part. He did mention Sly and Robbie and the new album, saying Sly and Robbie were "Gods" in the reggae industry at one point in the show. I too was hoping for more songs of the new album which is a good release with lots of good combinations. Last time i saw Shaggy in November at the Mateel he played at least 3-4 songs from the album, i thought that was a much better show with more full length songs. Was also wondering why S and R didn't back him up as well, maybe they needed a break after playing 4+ hours on stage thru their own set, Bob Andy's, Bitty's, and Mykal's.
July 06, 2014 12:27PM
Not a fan of Shaggy, another roots snob, but I know he has songs that are not so vulgar. The whole day was flowing with a great family vibe, kids playing with hoops soccar games, LED poi everywhere. Then Shaggy came out and thought everyone wanted his d!ck.
He has songs that don't involve sex, he should have made a set from those three.
I agree most with one post, did anyone expect him to be good in the first place?
July 06, 2014 07:50PM
I did the right thing and headed back to camp to set up my sound. Barrington was the appropriate send off. Shaggy can suck it. A huge big up to camping security for letting us play on Sunday, then held us down all night . Really Big up security once more.

I am Froggy, and I endorse this message
July 06, 2014 08:25PM
Shaggy, just like the last time back at Angels Camp was on par with Sean Paul at Reggae On The River. boooooooooooooo!
July 11, 2014 03:49PM
Dubdude, did you have the big RV soundsystem going off on Sunday night with MC Dole (think that is his name) If so it was a lot of fun and kept the vibes rolling!
July 11, 2014 10:38PM
Yes it was. Give Thanks!
July 12, 2014 11:59PM

Irie times with Irie Dole!
July 14, 2014 03:55PM
I would really really really love to get a copy of Jah Warriors outstanding set before shaggy's came on...
This was one of the highlights of the weekend for me....
July 14, 2014 04:34PM
Don't think it was recorded. But you can hear Irie Dole on the Radio, tune in over the web to Q103 in Maui. Also check the Jah Warrior Shelter website @ [jahwarriorshelter.net]
July 14, 2014 04:51PM
yeah - that' s what i'm thinking...not recorded.
Irie Dole was kickin' it Saturday nite....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login