Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SNWMF 2015 request

Posted by 831roots 
SNWMF 2015 request
June 25, 2014 06:07PM
With my SNWMF glow on my skin, I looked ahead for 2015 estimated dates.
Looks like it might land on Father's Day. confused smiley
Is it possible to schedule around the holiday? With my dad in his 80's, it would be hard to skip out on him.
Just thought I'd have a request.

SNWMF you did wonderful this weekend! Staff was great except for 1 lady security, but its okay.
Re: SNWMF 2015 request
June 25, 2014 06:20PM
831roots: Bring your dad to the festival next year. I know that's what I plan on doing as the die has already been cast for SNWMF 2015:

June 25, 2014 10:49PM
In light of this information please bring artist like:
Freddie mcgregor
Twinkle brothers
Luciano
Jah bouks
Toney rebel
Beres Hammond
Pressure busspipe
Ziggy marley
Stephan marley
Fiji
Mighty diamonds
And the itals

I'm probaly going to bring my father and father in law this year. My dad is a baptist minister and my father in law is a lifelong catholic but both are very liberal and love reggae. As a dad I love when the festival falls on Father's Day!
June 25, 2014 11:52PM
I'm glad it will be on father's day, since this year my dad mentioned that he needs to go one year. I'm thinking this will be a great gift! Looking forward to 2015 already!
June 26, 2014 12:32AM
My only request is.....................

2 more days of music, that's all. I just can't seem to get enough of this festival, always wanting more, more, more, more.
June 26, 2014 12:53AM
spliffp
My only request is.....................

2 more days of music, that's all. I just can't seem to get enough of this festival, always wanting more, more, more, more.
Yes please!!! Would snwmf ever consider doing an early arrival on thursday like rotr? I would happily pay more money for one extra day!
June 26, 2014 01:53AM
My Dream 2015 SNWMF

Dr alimantado
Ijahman Levi
Galago (Poland)
Benjamin Zephaniah
The Pioneers
The Congos
Kiddus I
Ernest Ranglin ( new album rocks) & Monty
Alexander
Carl McDonald
Ken Bob
Dillinger ( today's his bday btw)
Brinsely Forde of Aswad
Ras Karbi
Clinton Fearon (yes again!!!)
Twinkle Brothers
I Kong
Addis Pablo
Akila Barrett
Kenyatta Hill & Culture
Cimarrons
Beres Hammond
The Specials
Cen C Love
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
Prince Buster
The Meditations

oh and Goggleman is ready to fill in for any
Cancelations

In seriousness, in 14 years this festival has slowly
allowed me to see artists on my bucket list
and I am both grateful for being able to hear legends
Take us down a musical tour down memory lane but
also to hear them tell us as it really happened.
June 26, 2014 02:20AM
Gotta say don't change the dates... For the first time since my daugther was 12 I have somehow become "cool" in her eyes again... She has requested to come with me next year! ( every other year it was, "Three days with you trapped in a fdstival?!?! No Thanks!" At any rate I can't think of a better father's day present than getting to finally introduce my daughter to you all... Wishful thinking as there is plenty of time fof me to fall out of favor again.

smiling smiley
June 26, 2014 09:15PM
Chronixx
Jah 9
Dezarie
Lutan Fyah
Midnite
IGrade in the dancehall

You really should consider adding some live music and early entry for Thursday night!

Also, just bring back Clinton Fearon every year!
June 26, 2014 09:35PM
Burning Spear
Gentleman
Chronixx
Dezarie
Hano hou for Tarrus Riley
Pressure with I Grade Dub in the dancehall

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 09:37PM by aaron_g.
June 26, 2014 09:51PM
Give thanks Daniel for the heads up! would be lovely to get back to even more roots and would love to invite my dad Roger smiling smiley good idea -

israel vibration, nasio, midnite, niyorah, yami bolo, dezarie, bushman . . . . would all be wonderful.....
June 26, 2014 10:26PM
SHAGGY!!!!!!!!smiling bouncing smileyhot smiley

Dj Yogi

Yogi's Picnic Basket
Heard live and direct
Monday's 12:00 PM - 2:00PM
88.9 FM KUCI
Irvine,CA
Streaming on www.kuci.org
Tunein radio Radioflag and I Tunes
rootsandriddims.kuci.org

Please show your support helping to end youth homelesness.
[reggaeforareason.org]
June 26, 2014 10:28PM
You are so bad YoGi !!! thanks for the giggle
June 26, 2014 10:29PM
My 2015 Request: Please don't second bill a legendary reggae artist to a Cali reggae band....smh! I know I'm a hater, and don't deny it!
June 26, 2014 10:45PM
A lot of great artist here. I woul like to add:
gentelman
The Tokyo ska explosion
Alborosie
Aswad
Courtney john
The budos band
K'naan
Bring back j boog he has vastly improved his live show since a couple years ago
Shabba ranking
House of Shem
Ookla
Cali p
Mungos
Exco Levi
Fanton mojah
Jesse royal
Rocker t
Yaardcore
Glen Washington
Lucky dubes daughter with his band
And tony Allen
I also second chronixx, Tarrus again and I grade showcase.
June 26, 2014 11:12PM
Since it's gonna be fathers day, how bout Dezarie, Midnite, and their father....

Love that reggae!
June 26, 2014 11:24PM
Burning Spear
Gentleman
Chronixx
Aswad
Earl 16
Pentateuch
The Congos
Raging Fyah AGAIN!!!!!
June 27, 2014 01:20AM
DJ BIG JIM
Ijahman Levi

He can't get in the country from what I've been told.
June 27, 2014 03:17AM
Mungos Hi Fi in the Dance Hall ~>!!!

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 28, 2014 06:54PM
Pressure buss pipe
June 30, 2014 10:31PM
Iba MaHr
Randy Valentine
Mikey General
Righteous Child
Christopher Martin
Busy Signal
Keznamdi
The McGregor Family (Freddie, Chino, Di Genius)
Konshens
Kalibandulu
Jugglerz
June 30, 2014 11:13PM
djphg
Iba MaHr
Randy Valentine
Mikey General
Righteous Child
Christopher Martin
Busy Signal
Keznamdi
The McGregor Family (Freddie, Chino, Di Genius)
Konshens
Kalibandulu
Jugglerz
Great list but I don't think busy will ever play in the us again. I hope that I am wrong because he is one of my current favorites. However in light of his legal troubles here he was lucky to leave the country in the first place.. Again I hope that I am wrong.
July 01, 2014 04:18PM
yellowberry
My 2015 Request: Please don't second bill a legendary reggae artist to a Cali reggae band....smh! I know I'm a hater, and don't deny it!

Seconded!!!
July 01, 2014 04:19PM
I know this has come up in past, but what kind of $$ did Manu Chao want to play the festie?
July 01, 2014 05:32PM
christinalorell
Would snwmf ever consider doing an early arrival on thursday like rotr?

No.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 03, 2014 01:39AM
Thursday night arrival would be legendary!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
July 03, 2014 04:43PM
I agree, Thursday arrival is exactly what SNWMF needs.
July 03, 2014 05:00PM
If you were at volunteer check-in thursday evening you may have witnessed an epic performance involving a Beres Hammond song... Otherwise - that's the closest to thursday arrival music the fest needs
July 03, 2014 05:05PM
That was well nice Dr Suess, but that could have gone down on Wednesday and then Thursday we would have another night of music and then a full day on Friday, not just starting in the afternoon Friday. Not sure how anyone could say they would not enjoy another night at SNWMF? Its already the best 3 days of the year, why not make it 4 days. I know more isn't always better but in this case I sure think so.
July 03, 2014 05:27PM
Thursday arrival would be amazing! 3 days always seems to go by so quickly. Every year by Sunday evening, I'm always wondering where the weekend went and why it went by so fast.

On Thursday, I wouldn't even expect a lot of performances or anything crazy, but a couple local or newer bands would be nice. Vendors who already set up Thursday could get some extra business too. I think even if the vendors were not open Thursday and no music was playing, I'd still be okay with that too! Just being able to set up your camp Thursday, relax and get to know your neighbors, and go into Boonville to check out their stores or eat and support the local businesses would be great!

Music could go most of the day Friday or even still start at 5PM, it's just the idea of adding an extra day and making the festival a little longer and having more opportunities to hangout and enjoy being there.
July 03, 2014 08:01PM
Thursday arrival would be a great move, but would that change the dynamics of this family, low key festival (which keeps me coming every year) to a party atmosphere where the positive vibes get drowned out by all night partys, that bring in the younger crowd who are there to party it up and not there to really enjoy the artist and the vibes their music brings. Just my 2¢
My wish list
Yami Bolo
dezarie
Midnight
George nook
Isreal vibrations
Gentleman
Don Carlos
July 03, 2014 08:35PM
if you want early arrivals, extra days of music, all night dubstepping, VIP tix, etc., there is a festival that will cater to all your desires.... it's just not SNWMF.

July 03, 2014 09:07PM
Rastavibe
Thursday arrival would be a great move, but would that change the dynamics of this family, low key festival (which keeps me coming every year) to a party atmosphere where the positive vibes get drowned out by all night partys, that bring in the younger crowd who are there to party it up and not there to really enjoy the artist and the vibes their music brings.

I can understand that. That's a good point. My intentions of having an early arrival would simply be to have extra time to just be at the festival. Sometimes 3 days just doesn't seem long enough to soak up all the snwmf vibes! I like that it's low key and that's why I always choose this festival over others. I'm 22 years old and actually go there for the artists and music, and overall snwmf experience, but I can tell you that a good amount of other people around my age go there just to party and be crazy...I'm just not one of them lol. Regardless, I think that the party crowd will be there with or without an early arrival. I wouldn't ever want snwmf to change, however I just think it'd be nice if it was a little longer!
July 03, 2014 09:16PM
Everyone from my wishlist has basically been named already...
Top 3 that I would love to see would be lutan fyah, chronixx, and tribal seeds.

And you can just bring back everyone from Friday night on the village stage and Sunday on the valley stage... smiling smiley
July 03, 2014 10:29PM
I think are point is being missed, we don't want another night for party vibes, we love SNWMF and just want another night to enjoy the vibes that this amazing festival has been providing for years. I don't see why one more night would change the vibes of SNWMF. If I wanted dubstep and a late night drug fest, I am sure I could find that.
July 03, 2014 10:37PM
rossta8888
I think are point is being missed, we don't want another night for party vibes, we love SNWMF and just want another night to enjoy the vibes that this amazing festival has been providing for years. I don't see why one more night would change the vibes of SNWMF. If I wanted dubstep and a late night drug fest, I am sure I could find that.

Perfect. thumbs up
July 03, 2014 11:03PM
I would like to add that I think it is awesome how many people are putting Midnite and Dezarie down for artist they want to see!!! Maybe 2015 is the year to get those two inna BOOMTOWN!
July 03, 2014 11:58PM
we all love this fest so much that we just want more and more of it. we are also just thinking of ourselves and our own enjoyment.

I think the actual residents of Boonville may think that the 3 days of festivities is plenty, and it's always good to keep the residents happy.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
July 04, 2014 04:15AM
That's one way to look at it.....another way would be to see the extra $ Booomville businesses would receive with an extra day of added population to the small town. While I'm sure nuff folks wouldn't like it, plenty of business owners would love it.
July 04, 2014 09:10AM
Thursday=day before work for many residents of Boonville. Too much of a good thing at the expense of the residents.
July 06, 2014 02:50AM
Please make next years headliners worth watching .. Please no lame act's like Shaggy
July 06, 2014 02:52PM
MarleyLuv
Please make next years headliners worth watching .. Please no lame act's like Shaggy

A few people have said to me as much regarding the appearance of the Marley lads two years ago, who gave a performance that left me pretty much indifferent. And by no means is Shaggy a top-shelf personal fave...ever given the opportunity, I would ask him why he didn't calibrate his show for SNWMF to show his non-sex-braggadociao/culture side.
July 07, 2014 09:01AM
papa ray
[ever given the opportunity, I would ask him why he didn't calibrate his show for SNWMF to show his non-sex-braggadociao/culture side.

Did Shaggy show up in the press tent? Did anyone ask him that question? If so, what was his response? Are the press tent interviews available for viewing?

Isn't that a lot of questions?
July 07, 2014 09:11AM
Walter
papa ray
[ever given the opportunity, I would ask him why he didn't calibrate his show for SNWMF to show his non-sex-braggadociao/culture side.

Did Shaggy show up in the press tent? Did anyone ask him that question? If so, what was his response? Are the press tent interviews available for viewing?

Isn't that a lot of questions?

Shaggy didn't do a press confrence this year. In past years Daniel has taken some of the audio (and sometimes video) recorded in the press tent and posted it on the website, so I suspect the same will be done at some point covering this year's show.
July 08, 2014 07:03PM
A few people have said to me as much regarding the appearance of the Marley lads two years ago, who gave a performance that left me pretty much indifferent. And by no means is Shaggy a top-shelf personal fave...ever given the opportunity, I would ask him why he didn't calibrate his show for SNWMF to show his non-sex-braggadociao/culture side
thumbs up

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
July 09, 2014 01:47AM
JAH CURE
Jesse Royal

In regards to A Thursday arrival show near Boonville, The anderson Valley grange hall is a possibility for Thursday music .
July 09, 2014 02:10AM
used to do music at the Philo Grange Thursday night for a while. been missing that! thumbs up Not sure what is needed to make that happen again but im down to help out.

July 09, 2014 05:16AM
That is a great idea, a show at the grange on Thursday nights before SNWMF, enough people around early that could support a show like that. I saw Abja and I-Taweh running around SNWMF this year, both of them would have been epic Thursday night before the festival started
July 09, 2014 06:12PM
why did Shaggy not do a Roots and Culture show for a bunch of people (not everyone obviously) who have no idea what the Roots and Culture actually means? IF Shaggy came on stage and started to chat down abortion and gays he would have been run out of town. So now... don't talk about Sexuality (an essential part of being human) don't talk about guns (who needs that) don't talk anything but Roots and Culture... BUT Just not too much Roots and Culture... I get what you are saying but you must realize that an artist who exists in multiple worlds is always going to piss off someone.
July 09, 2014 11:13PM
Max Romeo & Kevin Kinsella w/10ft. Ganja Plant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2014 11:36PM by jcom.
July 09, 2014 11:14PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2014 11:35PM by jcom.
July 09, 2014 11:25PM
July 09, 2014 11:37PM
^^^ Muchas Gracias. Realized I have to remove the "s" in https.
July 10, 2014 03:31AM
Ninja
why did Shaggy not do a Roots and Culture show for a bunch of people (not everyone obviously) who have no idea what the Roots and Culture actually means? IF Shaggy came on stage and started to chat down abortion and gays he would have been run out of town. So now... don't talk about Sexuality (an essential part of being human) don't talk about guns (who needs that) don't talk anything but Roots and Culture... BUT Just not too much Roots and Culture... I get what you are saying but you must realize that an artist who exists in multiple worlds is always going to piss off someone.

Naaaaaaaaaanhhh. Did you see what he did on stage, guessing you didn't ? Gave new meaning to pop dung.
I hear the argument, but I don't think it applies whatsoever to what happened on the SN main stage.
In fact what does anti abortion and anti gay chat have to do with roots and culture artist. Mighty crown playing boom bye bye for 5 seconds was the first I had heard that tune played out in a loooong time, and just saying it's not a huge part of roots and culture shows. I did always wonder why chi chi nah protest warrior king in Cali , him say it way more plain English than any patois . On the topic of this thread , it's been awhile . Warrior King for 2015 cool smiley
July 10, 2014 06:36PM
My other request would be snwmf 2015 winter solstice somewhere indoors like the bill Grahm center, warield or Fillmore.
July 10, 2014 07:56PM
Jahsiah
My other request would be snwmf 2015 2014 winter solstice somewhere indoors like the bill Grahm center, warield or Fillmore.

I fixed that for youwinking smiley....great idea, I'm in!
July 10, 2014 08:56PM
SCROOTS... I did not see the show but I did see Sean Paul a few years back and from everything I am hearing it is about par for the course. SP comes out and starts talking about how many girls he banged the last time he was in The County. People were like WTF???? Here at ROTR?? you are going to start talking like this? It was a Slack show better suited for somewhere where they where a lot less clothing than on the North Coast.
July 10, 2014 09:05PM
That SP show would have sucked no matter where he was.....

July 10, 2014 10:28PM
1) Max Romeo-give him 8 months to get a visa

2) Ini Kamoze-Does he still perform?

3) Easy star All Stars-Dubber side of the Moon

4) King Sunny Ade-Love the Afrobeat

5) Midnite-start playing at midnight
July 11, 2014 12:19AM
Respect Ninja
I saw Sean Paul that year and a couple other times . Maybe par for the course , but SP said something like I love rotr last time I was her I sexed so many gal , and that was about it. Some artists say stupid shite on stage in between tunes, shaggy's entire performance was full of how many girls are gonna get pregnant tonight references like it was a Schtick for him and him sticking his mic between his legs. I assume shaggy is clear headed and this was for me and many others just all bad, especially for a headliner and with Rebelution the Sunday headliner we didn't really get a reggae show to close Saturday or Sunday.
July 11, 2014 12:23AM
1. Yes please
2. Yes but his $ is outrageous
3. Not my cup of tea, but it could work.
4. Happened a couple years ago, so it could happen again.
5. SMH... My opinion of them aside, starting at midnight, aint gonna happen.

smoking smiley

July 11, 2014 12:59AM
Man why would ini kamoze command top dollar at this point in his career, I must be missing something .

What is the draw with midnite fans calling for midnite at midnite, what happens when they start playing at midnite?
July 11, 2014 01:05AM
SCRoots
Man why would ini kamoze command top dollar at this point in his career, I must be missing something .

What is the draw with midnite fans calling for midnite at midnite, what happens when they start playing at midnite?
Same thing as if they played at noon. Most of us go to sleep, eat or back to camp. No disrespect n it even though they have some good songs, they bore me and my family and friends. The last time I saw them at Sierra was Saturday early afternoon and I napped which I appreciated very much ad needed it. I say they deserve to be brought back but keep then in the afternoon around siesta time so some of us can nap.
July 11, 2014 10:16AM
Nothing better than Midnite any time any day! But Midnite at midnight is special, great vibes and there is no better band out there in my humble opinion!

MIDNITE to headline SNWMF 2015
July 11, 2014 01:49PM
Mungos hi fi
July 12, 2014 01:11AM
Jahsiah
SCRoots

Same thing as if they played at noon. Most of us go to sleep, eat or back to camp. No disrespect n it even though they have some good songs, they bore me and my family and friends. The last time I saw them at Sierra was Saturday early afternoon and I napped which I appreciated very much ad needed it. I say they deserve to be brought back but keep then in the afternoon around siesta time so some of us can nap.

Slam dunked that set up.
July 12, 2014 06:53PM
Raging Fyah - Again and at a better time slot
Jah9
Iba Mahr
Yami Bolo
Chronixx
Kelissa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2014 06:54PM by lloydstanbury.
July 13, 2014 07:16AM
Chronicle & Chronixx
July 13, 2014 08:08AM
Mungos hi fi in the dancehall
July 15, 2014 06:18PM
hopefully papa Joshua upon the seen. sounds like good times were had by all. cant believe i missed bitty but hopefully check 4 him at the indi.
July 15, 2014 10:47PM
Cali p
And
Ziggi recardo
July 20, 2014 03:49AM
July 20, 2014 02:14PM
Purpleman
July 21, 2014 06:18PM
Dezarie and the Benjamins are not related. Not sure what u meant by that nomo?

July 21, 2014 06:46PM
iNi Kamoze has 1 of, if not, the most lucrative "reggae" songs in history. He makes more in royalties than most reggae artist make touring. He's been milking that 1 hit for years.

August 04, 2014 05:14AM
Purpleman....
August 04, 2014 05:22AM
And Yellowman
August 11, 2014 04:52AM
I want to repeat what Daniel said on this thread, before it got deleted due to the new server, because I agree with him:

Based on artists I saw at ROTR this year, my artist request for 2015 SNWMF would be:

Meta And The Cornerstones (only Alpha Blondy had a better set, and it was only slightly better...Meta rocked that set, and he needs to play at next years' festival and is long overdue to become more well known)

Mutabaruka (that was one memorable set)

Plus, I would like to see these artists perform next year:

Classic and underrated artists:

Kiddus I
Little Roy
The Meditations
Linval Thompson
Johnny Clarke
Judah Eskender Tafari
The Abyssinians
Twinkle Brothers
Pablo Moses
Max Romeo (one can dream, right?)
Leroy Smart
Earl Sixteen
Michael Prophet

Studio One-type artists:

Larry Marshall (PLEASE bring him back again. The guy is so underrated)
The Viceroys
Derrick Morgan (bring him every year! Such a legend and the best performance at SNWMF this year)
Dennis Alcapone
Michigan And Smiley

Newer artists:

Hollie Cook (lets go for three years in a row! That little ball of energy puts on such a good show!)
Rockamovya (they absolutely rocked it at ROTR last year, more people need to see them...very entertaining and unique band)
Junior Kelly (what I like about his set at ROTR last year was that he came out with pure energy and never let down...one of the more impressive sets I've seen in a while...he started off with "Tough Life", Boom Draw", "Rasta Should Be Deeper", and just kept the vibes going)
Iba Mahr
Jesse Royal
Jah9 (loved her set at ROTR)
Alborosie
Addis Pablo

U.K. roots:

Black Slate (they were so good, bring them back!)
Talisman
Misty In Roots
Steel Pulse

Virgin Island artists:

Army
Tuff Lion
Danny I
Niyorah
Iba
Bambu Station
August 14, 2014 06:48AM
Mungos hi fi in the dancehall. Sillywalks discoteque in the dancehall as well. Fri. Sat. Night.
August 14, 2014 06:24PM
KONSHENS!!!

August 22, 2014 06:58AM
My personal wish list for 2015:

Misty in Roots
Tiken Jah Fakoly
Johnny Clarke
The Viceroys
Lee Scratch Perry
Earl Sixteen
Roberto Gell
Nasio Fontain
The Meditations
Linval Thompson
The Twinkle Brothers
10 Ft Ganja
Ras Goody Brown
Ranking Joe
Midnite
Leroy Sibbles
Mighty Diamonds
Eric Donaldson
Dub Syndicate
Wayne Jarret
The Love Joys
Danakil
Black Slate
Aswad

.......And to, yet again, be turned on to someone new!!!!

Looking forward!!
August 25, 2014 03:55AM
bring anyone at all, but I look forward to the fest that includes Indonesia's #1 Reggae Ambassador
Ras Muhamad

Ras Muhamad - Salam Album Megamix

Said I’m rising out of the east. I represent for my people…Indonesia!” – Salam, Ras Muhamad
Prolific recording and performing artist, bi-lingual lyricist, published book author, radio host & producer. The self-proclaimed Reggae Ambassador of Indonesia, Ras Muhamad has relentlessly and ceaselessly spread the message of Reggae from the aspects of culture and history throughout Indonesia and to the likes of South East Asian regions.
Indonesian-born and raised, educated in New York City for over a decade-long. Ras Muhamad born as Muhamad Egar aspires to re-introduce Indonesia on a global scale, to put back “on the map” specifically in music, arts and talents that Indonesia has to offer to the world. With a career that spans a little over a decade ago; as of July 2014, Ras Muhamad steps into the international scene with a brand new album, his fifth studio album entitled “Salam” produced by Germany’s Oneness Records.

Ras Muhamad believes that through the power of music especially Reggae, people can share and learn of each other’s cultures through the message. To find similarities and common ground, setting aside petty differences and finally celebrating life and all its dynamics through music. Such as the core and heart of Reggae, it’s a universal expression and a message of love.

Even though hailing from a predominantly Muslim country, Indonesia has a vast diversity that prides in a rich multi-cultural, plural faiths, moderate, progressive and multi-ethnic backgrounds. Such as the National creed of Indonesia “Bhinneka Tunggal Ika” meaning “Unity in Diversity”, Ras Muhamad as an Indonesian reflects his nation and upbringing through personal expression and song. Evident in his countless of tunes where he effortlessly is capable of switching diverse lyrical deliveries from English, Jamaican Patois and Bahasa Indonesia the Indonesian language.
Ras Muhamad musical influences other than Reggae, Ska, Dancehall and Rocksteady ranges widely from Hip-Hop, Indonesian traditional and pop music, Jazz, Metal and World Music. Besides Bob Marley, his Reggae “heroes” are Lee Perry, Peter Tosh, Augustus Pablo, King Tubby, Sizzla, Garnett Silk Gregory Isaacs and a very long-list of others. Lyrically, he draws many inspirations also from Hip-Hop icons such Rakim, KRS-One, Nas and Wu-Tang. If a listener would have listen closely to any of Ras Muhamad’s tune his rhyme structure has subtle undertones and akin to a Hip-Hop lyricist. As he once stated that the first artists he heard when he reached New York as a child in the mid-90’s were Buju Banton, Wu-Tang, Shabba Ranks and the Fugees. To simply put his vocal and lyrical style is that of a HipHop emcee molded by the spirit and energy of Sizzla Kalonji and Garnett Silk.

Not just active in the Reggae Culture, Ras Muhamad challenges himself to collaborate with other genres in the Indonesian music industry. To express himself as an artist and give the “Reggae breath” to other forms of music is challenging to an ever-growing and evolving artist. Predictability, clichés and being generic is not in Ras Muhamad’s vocabulary as a form of expression. To give a short instance, he collaborated and recorded music with Indonesian Pop Icons such as Glenn Fredly , Tompi and Element. Indra Lesmana, a jazz legend in Indonesia also had experience in working with the Reggae Ambassador of Indonesia. Reknowned, Indonesian Punk Band Superglad also collaborated with him in 2013 for their album. Ras Muhamad doesn’t stop there, countless collaborations with his Reggae “brethren” in Indonesia can be heard. He even lent his voice to Malaysian artists such as the R&B crooner, Nadhira and the Rock band PopShuvit. And naturally obvious, he has recorded a handful of songs with HipHop artists such as the most popular rapper in Indonesia, Saykoji.

His first nationally distributed album “Reggae Ambassador” in 2007, heavily experimented with Dancehall riddims. Ras Muhamad wanted to show a underexposed aspect of Reggae culture to South East Asia, the Dancehall culture. Ras Muhamad was the first of its kinda in SouthEast Asia, exposing the music industry to Dancehall Reggae music. In 2009, releasing his 2nd album “Next Chapter”; he continued on his duties as the Reggae Ambassador by collaborating with Norway’s Admiral P, Kenya’s KaSimba and the Malaysian-based Senegalese King Lhota. Musically, the direction of the “Next Chapter” album was inspired by Sizzla’s “Praise Ye Jah” and “Black Woman and Child” album and the “digital Roots Reggae” productions of Bobby Digital.

In 2012, Ras Muhamad saw the release of his 3rd studio album “Berjaya” where most of his lyrics are in Bahasa Indonesia. 2013 was the year when he became the first Reggae musician to ever written and published a book, “Negeri Pelangi” or Rainbow Country. His book became a national best-seller.

Not just a performing and recording artist and also a writer. Ras Muhamad is a radio announcer and radio-program producer in one of Jakarta’s most popular radio station, Mustang88fm. “JamaicanSound” airs live every week, the Reggae Ambassador plays, updates, shares news, culture and historic values with his numerous amount of fans. He deems it as a responsibility like the duties of Mutabaruka and Sir Rodigan broadcasting of Reggae culture.
So forth, the Reggae Ambassador is armed with experience as of a veteran to step into a new scene. Hailing and roaring with his brand of Indonesian Reggae music to any part of the world.

In come the musical t’ing… SALAM
Ras Muhamad’s fifth album “Salam” is his most proud work where lyrics and music is strongly combined in balance, none outweighs the other due to the major part of Germany’s Oneness Records. Moritz “DaBaron” Korf or “Morry” as Ras Muhamad affectionately calls him oversees the album in terms of producing and lending arrangements.
“Salam” offers Asia’s first international Reggae album that is in a “Pure Roots Reggae” format, although Dancehall and Hip-Hop fans alike can truly relate to this album musically. Thematically, even though most part of the lyrics in “Salam” are in English, Ras always finds a way to deliver his Indonesian standpoint. Relevant in the first single “Lion Roar” where he explains as such a history of cultural similarities of the “Lion” symbol , between African and Asian culture and even western such as Europe.

He touches many topics as if a history teacher that teaches unconventional lessons. Such as the collaboration with Kabaka Pyramid, the critically-acclaimed lyricist in “Re-Education” where both men convey of Asia having many traces and a “hidden cultural link” with Africa from spiritual thought, architecture and physical features. In “Conquest”, a listener can truly feel the rage of a son that puts a verdict against one of humanity’s greatest crime and that is Colonialism. Ras Muhamad explains how Christopher Columbus gave way of “Conquest” on Asian-African nations. In the tune “Learn and Grow”, with a Soul/R&B feel, Sara Lugo joins Ras Muhamad for a positive message in the form of self-acceptance and self-motivation. “accept your design from the Divine” Ras Muhamad states in his lyrics.
“Satu Rasa” meaning “One feeling” in Bahasa Indonesia is a celebration where no matter what language you speak everyone seeks for love and joy when it comes to music. The lyrics to this particular tune are in 6 languages, being in English, Jamaican Patois, Bahasa Indonesia, Flores, Mollucan and Javanese. “bunyinya beda maknanya sama” meaning “sounding different to the ears but carrying the same feeling.

Capable of conveying thoughts in different languages, Ras Muhamad invites Uwe Kaa to continue the spark and friendship they started when the German Reggae artist, Uwe Kaa toured in 2012 in Indonesia. “Barriers and Borders” is speaking of aspirations and sharing experience when a person reaches new places and learning new things of cultures. This tune is perhaps the first multi-lingual Reggae tune with German, English and Indonesian lyrics. Uwe Kaa whom in most part uses Deutsch lyrics in his previous works, makes a debut in this song; using English lyrics during the part of the chorus. A truly East meets west feeling or vice versa.

Even though dominated with Jamaican riddims, a particular track called “Leluhur”. Ras Muhamad shows traditional Indonesian music on a mystical and spiritual level, it has breaths of “world music” when paid attention. Aptly named “Leluhur” meaning ancestors, he calls on his ancestors to guide way and give a guiding light to his steps and to connect people more to the natural aspects of life and the Universe. A special part at the end of the track was delivered by Bhismo’s Kunokini, the lyrics are in KromoInggil, ancient Javanese language as old as Sanskrit itself.
The tune “Good Over Evil” inspired by Emperor Haile Selassie’s “war” speech to the United Nations, is a Rastafari credo and call of cease-fire, putting love and humanity first. Having an optimistic view with a world that’s run by mis-leadershid, humanity is “confident in the victory of Good over evil.” As Ras Muhamad states in this particular song, it is like an explosion of music and fiery barrage of conscious lyrics.

“Through the Smoke”, closes the album with an emotional take of Ras Muhamad’s personal tragedies. His “Negeri Pelangi”/Rainbow Country” book launching in February 2013 was met with tear-gas assault by the misconduct of the Indonesian Police. He fires back on the local Indonesian media that were only looking for mere sensation, instead of positive content and others that criticizes and accused the artist for “planning” the tear-gas incident just to gain popularity. His response was simply “Go to Hell!”.

Lyrically inclined, musically dynamic and Jamaican-influnced yet still Asiatic. Oneness Records boldly released Indonesia’s first Reggae international album on July 25th 2014, Ras Muhamad’s “Salam”.

Reggaeville review by Justine Ketola of Ras Muhamads "Salam"

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 05:32PM by Ras Danny.
August 25, 2014 09:40PM
What up.. Here is another reggae show if still in London.. Stay Irie

Reggae Lives - The Lovers Rock Tour (London)
Sunday 31 August 2014
The Coronet Theatre, London
DOORS OPEN at 7:00 PM
SHOW STARTS at 9:30 PM

SHOW PERFORMING ARTISTS
Frankie Paul, Glen Washington, Jimmy Riley, Lukie D and Mikey Spice

I'd love to see all of the above at Sierra-been actively campaigning for Lukie D and Mikey Spice

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
September 03, 2014 11:32PM
Arkaingelle and Blaak Lung!

Love that reggae!
September 11, 2014 04:31AM
Half Pint
Junior Reid
Junior Kelly
Burning Spear
Shabba Ranks
Cutty Ranks
Sizzla
September 11, 2014 03:38PM
Chronixx!!!
September 11, 2014 07:25PM
Johnny Osbourne + Sly & Robbie
Brinsley Forde + Sly & Robbie (the album is being finalized before the mix by Groucho Smykle and Robbie at the end of the year)
September 12, 2014 01:49AM
Anti ballas, K' Naan, Delly ranks, shabba ranks, Big ship crew, VI showcase, twinkle brothers, father and son Riley (on Sunday for Father's Day) and beres Hammond. PLEASE at least one of this group!
September 14, 2014 04:07PM
I predicted Chronixx way back and I'm stickin to that. Makes perfect sense. We also NEED Etana, Dezarie, Pressure Buss Pipe, Willie Williams, Trinidad showcase (Khari Kill Royal Dainties, Levi Myaz, Marlon Asher) Sara Lugo, Mungo's Hi-Fi w/ YT, Soom T, Rankin Joe etc. Big Youth, Junior Reid, Gentleman,

September 15, 2014 07:52PM
I have a list but I'd really like to see

EXCO LEVI

I have heard that he has been killing it as of lately.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login