Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dance Hall Reviews

Posted by juanlove 
Dance Hall Reviews
June 25, 2014 07:16PM
FRI Night:
I only caught about 20 mins before Josey Wales and about 20 after Josey...
But what I Caught and heard before and after seemed like some Nice Deep Roots selections but not a whole lot of mixing or excitement. Would love to hear a review from some 1 that caught most Sherwood's set!

Comanche Hi Power:
Big up Every time! Ting sounded Real Nice this yr. Also caught about 20 mins of Comanche set and as always was laying down the heavy heavy Roots vibez! A True Sound Man in every sense! Big Up Stevo & Crew Again!

Sat. Night:
Stepped in the Dance at around midnight to Mighty Crown Running some Nice S1 Real Rock Dub Plates. From that point forward they Def. Rinsed off nuff dubs till the very end. So much so that it was hard to tell at points what was being played. Personally I prefer to hear at least a min of each tune but so it go~> Not really complaining esp. since they are more of a clash sound... but it wasn't a clash! It was a Session and wish they would have treated it more like 1! Overall Wicked selections & Nice Dance Hall/Bashment Vibes!

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
Re: Dance Hall Reviews
June 25, 2014 07:26PM
Having my youth with me kept me from the Dancehall this year, I bet Josey was crazy hot. Looking forward to your reviews. Thank you. smiling smiley
June 27, 2014 04:34AM
Mighty Crown had he dance worked over like they were the peanut man, beeerrreeee shellingzzz. So much so that there wasn't a bunch of tunes that stuck out in my head, so much crazy juggling for hours tho, nuff, nuff nuff unique dub plates mixed with 45's--(Very clean combination with Dj and Selector, polished and performed as any good as any other world class sound could handle Sierra). I hope the audio gets released, energy and a mixed bag of roots, reggae, modern culture and dancehall, Far East Rulers for 2015
June 27, 2014 05:41PM
Mighty Crown was nice...... next year mi seh WAGGY-T

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 27, 2014 11:40PM
Nice lil write up from chin...

Thousands Chant 'Mighty Crown'
During Famed Sierra Nevada Music Festival

Next Up, Crown Heads to Europe for Several Dates
Mighty Crown was a force to be reckoned with over the weekend during the acclaimed Sierra Nevada World Music Festival in Northern California. The "Far East Rulers" certainly made a lasting impact on the famed festival's 21st year, as thousands of fans roared for Mighty Crown, chanting their name incessantly for an encore. In every sense of the word, Mighty Crown rocked Sierra Nevada's 'Dancehall' with immense energy and top notch music selections, electrifying the at capacity crowd for 3 hours! Billed with one other sound (U.K.'s Adrian Sherwood), Mighty Crown rose to the occasion, giving concertgoers a taste of sound system culture stamped with their eclectic spin.

Billed as the headline sound for the 'DANCEHALL' on Saturday, June 21, "The Far East Rulers" thrilled the crowd with a barrage of foundation dubplates from the likes of Johnny Osbourne, Brigadier Jerry, Sister Nancy, Dawn Penn and Barrington Levy just to name a few. The revelers received maximum entertainment from Mighty Crown from start to finish. To show their support of the music, many artists joined the explosive Mighty Crown sound on stage, including Hawaain Reggae star JBoog, who scored in 2013 with "Surfer's Anthem," a song penned by Mighty Crown's very own selector, Sami-T.

Mighty Crown carried the audience on a musical journey, dropping Roots Rock Reggae from the past to the present. The raving fans were extremenly responsive to music from 'Reggae Revival' artists including Chronixx, Kabaka Pyramid, Jah 9 and Jessee Royal. As the venue's curfew quickly approached, Mighty Crown had no choice to play a final song for the night. The intense crowd of Reggae lovers chanted Crown's name in unison, "Mighty Crown, Mighty Crown" demanding more music and more Crown. It was a quite a sight to see and hear thousands scream for Mighty Crown at a festival that once only included artists. Mighty Crown, as a sound sytem, being billed for the Sierra Nevada Music festival speaks volumes.

In between producing the wildly popular "Love Feeling Riddim" and dropping the killer "Mighty Crown Meets Rasta Movement" Culture mix, among other projects -- Mighty Crown carves time out of their busy schedule to tour Internationally. This summer is no exception to the rule. Armed with loads of music, high energy and a genuine love of the craft, by popular demamd, Mighty Crown will light up Europe for a series of performances in late June and early July.

Next year I also say forward the King Waggy Tee alongside Scotch Bonnet

Respect Same Way
June 28, 2014 04:00AM
Nice write up on Mighty Crown.

Would love to see Mungo's HiFi in the dancehall....
June 28, 2014 04:34PM
Wait a second...I thought they dissed j-boog and didn't let him on the mic? Did I miss something? Very possible I did.
June 29, 2014 08:45PM
spliffp
Wait a second...I thought they dissed j-boog and didn't let him on the mic? Did I miss something? Very possible I did.

It certainly Didn't look or sound that way to me<~ I was standing just a few feet away from JBoog pretty much the whole night and from I could tell Boog was in FullJoyment! I took a photo of him that didn't turn out very well, but was ear to ear grin! Even heard Simon calling out JBoog as "Mi Artist That" ... Did I miss something???

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 30, 2014 07:16PM
With all due respect to Chin and his write-up, Mighty Crown was actually billed with two other sounds -- one of the aforementioned being the sound that brought the actual sound on which we all played 'sound'...
June 30, 2014 07:18PM
Big up Comanche-I. Your system sounded great this year. Thank you.
June 30, 2014 07:45PM
"To show their support of the music, many artists joined the explosive Mighty Crown sound on stage, including Hawaain Reggae star JBoog"

I was referring to the chin article and this statement....to me this sounds like JBoog performed with them which I didn't see. Also a friend of JBoog told me he had hoped to bless the mic and was disappointed.

Big up Comanche-I ...whatever you were playing the 20 mins prior to Mighty Crown was my favorite of either night in the dancehall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 07:45PM by spliffp.
June 30, 2014 09:52PM
Commanche's Soundsystem also sounded better than i remember hearing it in the past which was a big upgrade to the Dancehall, Stevo back there workin the board all weekend-always a pleasure to see and hear the unique Vinyl from Him>>
July 01, 2014 02:46PM
Was Chin there or was this a writer up from what he heard?
July 01, 2014 04:16PM
Strange, I thought Adrian Sherwood's set was much more impressive. thought he worked the crowd thru a nice set with top notch selections. Josey freestyle got a little lost but all in all, thought Friday Dancehall was tops.

Too Much Yelling/Cupping the Mic from the Far East Rulers. I know its part of the show, but damn Microphone 101 - DONT CUP THE MIC!
July 01, 2014 05:53PM
comanche-i
With all due respect to Chin and his write-up, Mighty Crown was actually billed with two other sounds -- one of the aforementioned being the sound that brought the actual sound on which we all played 'sound'...
well..... Mighty Crown was the only name on the bill for the Saturday night DH.... so he was partially correct.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2014 12:33AM by HiGrade1.
July 01, 2014 06:08PM

Billed with one other sound (U.K.'s Adrian Sherwood), Mighty Crown rose to the occasion, giving concertgoers a taste of sound system culture stamped with their eclectic spin.

This portion of Irish & Chin's 'write up' is incorrect. They are referencing the sounds booked to perform at the festival (and not just on Saturday night), of which there were 3....
July 01, 2014 07:35PM
I shut the dance down both nights. First off, the sound and volume were perfect both nights, big difference from last year. I personally liked Friday nights dance better but only because I liked the selections Adrian was spinning...more my taste. Instead of catching the end of the Shaggy set I decided to head into the dancehall early Saturday night and was blessed to hear Comanche Hi Power laying down some low down grimy roots...just my taste. Might Crown was cool and they got the dance jumping but I thought hype man needed to put the mic down and let the selection play. Me personally, I find it hard to get lost in the music when hype man is all over the track or cutting it in and out...just let it play.
July 06, 2014 08:02PM
Mighty Crown sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeew it dropping bomb after bomb all dubs all night. I COMPLETLEY AGREE on Waggy-Tee. Miami dj, he has nice crates from long time. I still have his set recorded from Club Six in the city way back weh.
July 06, 2014 08:09PM
Diesel: yes chin was there... they all left after MC finished in the dancehall
we had a nice talk til I brought up some things he didnt wanna hear!

as for adrian sherwood: that was truly pathetic, I have no interest in watching a producer press play on premixes, and having a rewind sample on his synare was embarrassing... the man didnt mix even once the whole night and he still managed to trainwreck some selections

I figure since Rory has his visa back we will be seeing him next year which I certainly wont mind

Next year my first choice is The King Waggy Tee and Scotch Bonnet, they express a lot of interest in playing everytime I speak with them, as have the addies and poison dart crews...

DubDude: I want that audio!
July 06, 2014 08:21PM
done
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login