Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to tell when you are deep in the mix

Posted by SommerKind 
How to tell when you are deep in the mix
July 07, 2014 09:38PM
I wanted to ask this question to make sure it is not something I am imagining. I have noticed over the years that during a live DJ set, for example this year during Mighty Crown, there comes a point where to my ear, it sounds like the DJ is playing vocal dub plates over a riddim track, and the dub plates are played at a higher speed than the riddim itself. My observations are that this only seems to happen during live sets and that it always happens deep into the set. Personally, I really like it, because I have always gravitated towards the more nasally sounding vocal styles.

Are the dub plates being played at higher speeds? When do you DJ's reading this like to play a song in this style? To you, does it signify a different stage of your overall mix? Are there any recorded mixes out there that incorporate this style on a mix CD or download?

Thanks
Re: How to tell when you are deep in the mix
July 08, 2014 02:50PM
In JA style mixes, often the pitch/tempo of a track is increased to hype up the sound. Some of this is controlled, some of it is preset from the source track. The more you get custom mixes, the more variables exist.
I would say that a lot of times you get the riddim that the studio provides. In some cases, you can provide the 'version' that the artist voices over to keep the audio in check with the rest of your tracks.
Re: How to tell when you are deep in the mix
July 09, 2014 02:21AM
and sometimes its a remix where the vocal and riddim dont line up...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login