Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"reggae" from year 1949

Posted by michael turner 
"reggae" from year 1949
July 10, 2014 07:07AM
[www.youtube.com]

At least from 0:20 to 1:19 pretty indistinguishable from 70s roots. I was quite surprised to hear this.
Re: "reggae" from year 1949
July 10, 2014 09:01AM
Nice! Spot on with that observation, Mr. Turner.

The tempo of the first 1:20 of the song was slower, which gave it that early-70s reggae swing. You can hear the tempo speed up then, which destroys the reggae feeling and moves the song more into mento or calypso, even though Felix Valvert is mostly known for his Cuban Jazz repertoire.
July 10, 2014 12:02PM
Thanks for posting this ... Beautiful tune

For the record tho ... reggae is far older than 1949 ... years ago i was backstage
with an African band and some Jamaican Rastas came in and started talking
about reggae being originated in Ja. ... some of the African musicians started
giggling and then it got interesting ... their laughter got so intense they were
doubled over clutching their bellies and almost crying tears of laughter ... After
a while they calmed down and explained that the Ras' assertion of reggae being
invented in Ja. was so ridiculous all they could do is laugh ... They explained
that the 2 - 4 backbeat is a traditional African rhydm that has existed for thousands
of years.
====<><><><>====
1luv 1heart lets get togeddah & feel alright
Alex
July 10, 2014 12:50PM
so how come we never heard it?

Reggae is JAMAICAN. Period. It's not just a beat, which exists in Africa, but in a lot of other places round the world, and it's not just a Latin thing as in this (great by the way) video. It's a entire package that was born in Jamaica. The rest is BS.
July 11, 2014 02:07PM
Great tune. Reggae stands alone, but on the shoulders of many genres of music. The horns on this tune are archetypical. Praises blown to the gods.
July 11, 2014 05:59PM
Just now heard the accidental resemblance to "Natural Mystic"
July 12, 2014 11:45PM
Nice Find!

Early Jamaican Music was greatly influenced by Cuban Music, son etc.
Which can clearly be heard in chunes such as this one and el cumbachero, peanut vendor/el manisero, and I'm sure a whole heap more

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2014 11:45PM by Collie4Nyah.
July 13, 2014 07:56AM
I think most would agree that, despite originating in Jamaica, both reggae and Rastafari are rooted in the African experience, both at home and abroad.

Peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 07:57AM by J_72.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login