Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Artist that have never and/or will never play snwmf again or ever

Posted by Jahsiah 
Artist that have never and/or will never play snwmf again or ever
July 10, 2014 05:55PM
Every now and then as I listen to my iPod of sweet reggae music again. I wonder if I would ever see an artist like busy signal at snwmf. Then my dreamer mentality wakes up and I realize due to his legal problems that it will probaly never happen.
I also think the same about burnin spear who has apparently had issues at Sierra.

So who that I living will never step on the boonville stage again or ever?

I say:
Busy
Spear
Buju
Andrew tosh
Hopefully shaggy
Sizzla kalonji

However I am curious who else and for what reason other then the obvious?
Re: Artist that have never and/or will never play snwmf again or ever
July 10, 2014 06:09PM
And I should add Israel vibrations with apple.
July 10, 2014 06:13PM
Sugar minott
Gregory issacs

Rest in power
July 10, 2014 06:16PM
I would nix Jah Spear from that list. Andrew Tosh's antics notwithstanding, I am not aware of any 'issues' Mr. Rodney has with the festival......
July 10, 2014 06:23PM
Daniel
I would nix Jah Spear from that list. Andrew Tosh's antics notwithstanding, I am not aware of any 'issues' Mr. Rodney has with the festival......
thumbs up
July 10, 2014 06:26PM
Sorry i should have clarified those that are living. It saddens me and at the same time brings me some happiness the fact that the last time I have and will see Buju, sugar and Gregory was at Sierra. For me that gives closure that it was at such a world class local event. With the exception of Buju which is just sad.
July 10, 2014 06:44PM
Sizzla and Busy are really just Visa issues, its not like the powers that be wouldnt book them
potentially the same for Buju after hes released

Respect Same Way
July 10, 2014 09:00PM
I think if Busy and Sizzla Visa's they would play at Sierra Nevada. Any promoter would love to book them. The only people I really see at not worthy of Sierra Nevada are Vybz Cartle and Movado. Even before Vybz was locked up I don't see him playing. I also don't know if Ninjaman would be exerted by Sierra Nevada but I might be wrong on him.
July 10, 2014 09:17PM
I would LOVE to see Sizzla at SNWMF.

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
July 10, 2014 09:25PM
Danny Crucial
I would LOVE to see Sizzla at SNWMF.

thumbs up
July 10, 2014 11:40PM
Jah Cure
July 11, 2014 03:12AM
Sizzla at SNWMF would be epic, I hope to see that someday
July 11, 2014 03:16AM
Tommy Lee Sparta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 03:16AM by DJ Jacques : WBLK Dancehall Massive.
July 11, 2014 05:54AM
I would love to see Jah Bouks at SNWMF.
July 11, 2014 07:32AM
Warren stated at the business panel this year that he couldn't book an artist like Sizzla on the show. That even if he wanted to, it would result in the loss of his contract with the county
July 11, 2014 08:23AM
Sizzla would equal loss of contract with the county but they can have Shaggy play?
July 11, 2014 08:58AM
What Warren said at the Business Panel was:

"When we signed our contract with the venue, one of the things that is in that contract is that we will not hire any entertainer that discriminates."
July 11, 2014 09:47AM
Daniel

"When we signed our contract with the venue, one of the things that is in that contract is that we will not hire any entertainer that discriminates."

thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up
July 11, 2014 09:49AM
Daniel

Or at least is known to do so on an international level (ex: buju, sizzla, queen ifrica, capleton - too bad, they've all performed at Snwmf right? I've seen buju and capleton at the fest but not sizzla, not sure if he's performed before)

The above statement is pretty subjective, you could find plenty of bands that make mention in their works of staying clear from gay and or gay lifestyle. It's just these big names have really taken a stance globally on this.
July 11, 2014 10:00AM
Sizzla and Turbulence we're booked for SN in 2002, but canceled last minute, and were replaced by Barrington Levy and Don Carlos. I think that is the closest Sizzla has come to playing SN that i know of.
July 11, 2014 10:07AM
DJ Jacques : WBLK Dancehall Massive
Tommy Lee Sparta

Hahahaha
July 11, 2014 10:42AM
Max Romeo
Jah Mason

I know they could potentially play here, but I've been waiting a long, long time...
July 11, 2014 11:49AM
To add to what Dr Suess said, Warren also stated at the Reggae Business Panel that he couldn't bring Capleton in for the same reasons as Sizzla (discrimation issues)

Be well,

Eric V
July 11, 2014 12:22PM
<sarcasm>
No Capleton, no Sizzler!?!? Please bear with me as I try to overcome my disappointment.
</sarcasm>
July 11, 2014 12:56PM
I think you could add Max Romeo to this list. I remember the thread earlier about his last appearance and performance at Sierra Nevada and I thought it was pretty clear that he was mentally unstable and not in the best condition, nor did it seem like he had the best experience at the festival which may affect his ability or desire to return.

In regards to Jah mason, There's nothing I know stopping him from coming to the fest, I'd love to see him perform as well, been quite some time, seems like hes fallen off a bit.
July 11, 2014 01:17PM
teachdem
I think you could add Max Romeo to this list. I remember the thread earlier about his last appearance and performance at Sierra Nevada and I thought it was pretty clear that he was mentally unstable and not in the best condition, nor did it seem like he had the best experience at the festival which may affect his ability or desire to return..

Max Romeo is fine... I think you might be mistakenly reffering to the thread about Junior Byles awhile back.
July 11, 2014 01:48PM
Dr Suess
teachdem
I think you could add Max Romeo to this list. I remember the thread earlier about his last appearance and performance at Sierra Nevada and I thought it was pretty clear that he was mentally unstable and not in the best condition, nor did it seem like he had the best experience at the festival which may affect his ability or desire to return..

Max Romeo is fine... I think you might be mistakenly reffering to the thread about Junior Byles awhile back.

My bad James, thanks for the correction
July 11, 2014 03:12PM
Buju cap were angels camp, not current venue. All of them more apprpriate than lova- lova mcthruster
July 11, 2014 03:13PM
Manu chao... Forget it too expensive
July 11, 2014 03:22PM
What about beres Hammond, supercat & shabba ranks? I know shabba and cat have been on the low for a few decades but why has beer Hammond never performed or had he?
July 11, 2014 03:29PM
Beres Hammond performed in 2004. Buju performed in Boonville in 2008......
July 11, 2014 03:37PM
Both Shows were epic
July 11, 2014 04:35PM
Daniel
Beres Hammond performed in 2004. Buju performed in Boonville in 2008......
I attended the Buju show and it was epic indeed. I missed beres by a couple years because I started to attend in 06. Please bring beres Hammond back to snwmf 15. To me he is one of the greatest living legend singers.
July 11, 2014 04:39PM
Simply wow at the line up of beres Hammond last appearance. I will be happy with this line up in 15!
[www.snwmf.com]
July 11, 2014 05:42PM
I think Beenie Man has the breadth of material to put on a very entertaining reggae/dancehall show that would fit in the format of this fest.
July 11, 2014 06:08PM
bun n cheese
I think Beenie Man has the breadth of material to put on a very entertaining reggae/dancehall show that would fit in the format of this fest.

Totally agree but if Sizzla and Capelton CANT come then neither can Beenie man or Warrior King for that matter. HYPOCRITICAL and arbitrary biased enforcement.
July 11, 2014 06:39PM
I gotta call BULLSHIT on this one: Briggy and Buju can play in Boomville but not Sizzla or Capleton?!?
That no discrimination thing is a slippery slope...

Respect Same Way
July 11, 2014 06:44PM
Agreed brother. Buju has THE most infamous hate-speech reggae song there is, and if im not mistaken he even started to play a bit of it in 08 at SNWMF. And please someone tell me when the last discriminatory song Sizzla recorded was? I mean he has been pumping out conscious roots for a minute now, no?! Not really sure how briggy fits into the aforementioned foursome though?

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
July 11, 2014 07:01PM
Pretty sure Beenie, Buju, Capleton and Sizzla signed The Reggae Compassionate Act.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 07:02PM by bun n cheese.
July 11, 2014 09:49PM
bun n cheese
Pretty sure Beenie, Buju, Capleton and Sizzla signed The Reggae Compassionate Act.
This is true, however j believe that sizzla violated that signature soon afterwards. However this homophobic anti batty boi thing to me was a 90's ting. Times and some of the artist hav changed. It is unfortunate that queen ifrica has not learned that lesson.
July 11, 2014 10:41PM
All this talk about signing/not signing the comp. act? That doesn't matter 1 bit. A lot of the artists listed above (esp. Sizzla) can't perform cuz of the visa issue. Bottom line.
July 11, 2014 10:48PM
bun n cheese

And yes, completely agree. I can imagine his set over Shaggys....top notch fi real
July 12, 2014 02:58PM
Danny Crucial
Agreed brother. Buju has THE most infamous hate-speech reggae song there is, and if im not mistaken he even started to play a bit of it in 08 at SNWMF. And please someone tell me when the last discriminatory song Sizzla recorded was? I mean he has been pumping out conscious roots for a minute now, no?! Not really sure how briggy fits into the aforementioned foursome though?

I think this is the song that put the nail in the coffin for Sizzla. ON a personal note any Sound System that cut this dub in hate speech style I loose all respect for your sound. I believe its 2010.

July 13, 2014 02:45PM
Given the chance, I would ask Mr. Collins if during his time in Zimbabwe he'd ever met Mr. Meghistu...
July 13, 2014 05:57PM
Briggy and Queen Ifrica have been very vocal about openly discriminating against gays as recently as this summer yet they both have played in Boomville... seems to be a lot of holes in this story

Sad that speech is free for some but not all
July 13, 2014 06:47PM
There is a difference between discriminatory hateful speech directed toward a group of people and mean speech about an individual. We make so many excuses for reggae artists, whether it is court cases, hateful speech or subpar efforts on tour.
July 13, 2014 09:18PM
All if the politics aside. What about mr. Vegas and the big shipment crew. Have they ever played? If not then I say they are due!
July 14, 2014 12:22PM
For some reason or another I think Rankin Joe has been blacklisted from ever playing Sierra.

Back some time in the early 2000s JahBill was really bigging up Rankin Joe. So I bought a couple CDs and even went to see an all night session in San Francisco with him, Sugar Minott, Carlton Livingston and Sammy Dreadlocks. While Sugar, Carlton & Sammy took turns sharing the Mic and taking breaks all night, it was Rankin Joe that stayed up there and toasted on every last song like some Boss Bionic DJ!!!.

Always thought he would be well received in the dancehall one night, and have always kept my eyes on the lineup announcements over the years - but alas, no Rankin Joe.

He has 'nuff fans out there and 'nuff tuff tunes, he just cant seem to get an invite for some reason. confused smiley
July 14, 2014 01:02PM
Jahsiah
All if the politics aside. What about mr. Vegas and the big shipment crew. Have they ever played? If not then I say they are due!

Vegas bust a few tunes in the Dancehall one time, like 2002 or so, inna frogtown I think. Was the single best sound system in the dancehall to date and despite Vegas asking for more volume, he killed the few tunes he did. I seem to remember it was not well received by the management, but I thought he crushed it at the time. Really wanted to hear more.
July 14, 2014 03:18PM
Vegas has lots of big tunes and I would love to hear I am blessed live. I can see him as a co headliner for Sunday. Has freddy mcgregor ever performed at snwmf?
July 15, 2014 04:52AM
papa ray
Given the chance, I would ask Mr. Collins if during his time in Zimbabwe he'd ever met Mr. Meghistu...

Boom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login