Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Artists Looking Forward to at ROTR 2014

Posted by YabbyYouFan 
Artists Looking Forward to at ROTR 2014
July 24, 2014 10:55PM
I'm excited about the lineup, but there are some artists that really stand out (in my humble opinion):

Meta And The Cornerstones. This is their only show in the United States this year (at least so far), and I'm really looking forward to finally seeing this band live. I personally feel they might be the most underrated reggae band of the last 5 years or so, as both their albums "Forward Music" and "Ancient Power" are really solid roots reggae albums. Plus, they recently released a single on ITunes, "Zion Stereo" that is excellent. "Cornerstone", "Still Around", "Time to Fight", "Mayan River", "Roaring Lions", "Silence Of the Moon", "Zion Stereo", etc, are all some of my favorite songs of theirs that I hope to see performed live...

Iba MaHr. I'm thinking this is his first show in the United States. He has a lot of potential and I especially like his tunes "Let Jah Lead the Way", "Great Is H.I.M.", "Will I Wait", "Burning", etc. Can't wait to see him live!

Israel Vibration. I could never get tired of seeing them live, and as the years go on, one can't take for granted seeing them live.

Alpha Blondy and Mutaburuka are rare opportunities to see live, and Jimmy Cliff is always great. His newest album "Rebirth" is his best album since "If I Follow My Mind", and looking forward to seeing him perform songs off of it.

Never seen Gentleman before and therefor looking forward to seeing him. Been bumping his song "The Journey" a lot lately, hopefully he plays that tune.

Etana and Jah9 represent the newer wave of female artists, and both are really good. Looking forward to them.

The Third World tribute will be moving, especially since I was lucky enough to see one of Bunny Rugs' last ever live performances.

The Sly and Robbie showcase will be excellent as well. I only watched part of this showcase at SNWMF, since I knew I would get another chance at ROTR, so looking forward to seeing the entire showcase this time around.

Marlon Asher has some great tunes too, such as his big hit "Ganja Farmer", plus I like "Fit And Strong", "Proud to be Alive", "Amsterdam", etc...all great stuff.

I'm curious as to what other artists people are looking forward to this year at ROTR?
Re: Artists Looking Forward to at ROTR 2014
July 24, 2014 11:11PM
Bless.

1st & foremost I am thrilled to see Gentleman. Never seen him live, and I too have been digging "The Journey" as well as other tunes from nis new album "New Day Dawn".

2nd most anticipated are the 2 females you mentioned. Etana is an artist I rate highly, and have only seen her live once (SNWMF 2009). Jah9 is definitely an up & comer and part of the "Reggae Revival" movement. Curious to see what she brings to the reggae table.

3rd I'd say Iba Mahr. I don't know any of his songs, but my good friend says he brings the conscious fire! (and he HAS played here in California the past year, I just didn't catch him)

I am curious about Meta & the Cornerstones. I know absolutely nothing about them, but their Bio intrigues me.

When the line-up was 1st announced, I wasn't too thrilled about the headliners, and was thinking of skipping it altogether. But then they added Gentleman, and Alpha Blondy & Jimmy Cliff will always put on a good show!

*on a negative note I will mention Gyptian. Don't care for his music, and I will surely be taking a dinner brake during his set.

Big Up the 1 and only original Reggae on the River!
July 25, 2014 12:18AM
I'm also looking forward to Iba Mahr, the Sly and Robbie showcase, Marlon Asher, Etana, Third World, Meta and the Cornerstones, Mutabaruka, I Vibes and Alpha...not sure about Gentleman and Gyptian, i get them mixed up with others and someone of them i didn't care for, but can't remember which. Hard to believe i'll be up til 1 am for Gentleman. I'm going to give Michael Rose a chance, curious about See-I and iration. It'll be a great time regardless.

Love that reggae!
July 25, 2014 12:19AM
I might be most excited to see Jahdan on thursday, after his performance at SNWMF!

Love that reggae!
July 25, 2014 01:06AM
This will be Iba Mahr's first live band show in the States. DJ PhG of Stay Positive SOund brought him out for DJ shows for a small tour last year.
July 25, 2014 01:07AM
nomotrouble
I'm also looking forward to Iba Mahr, the Sly and Robbie showcase, Marlon Asher, Etana, Third World, Meta and the Cornerstones, Mutabaruka, I Vibes and Alpha...not sure about Gentleman and Gyptian, i get them mixed up with others and someone of them i didn't care for, but can't remember which. Hard to believe i'll be up til 1 am for Gentleman. I'm going to give Michael Rose a chance, curious about See-I and iration. It'll be a great time regardless.

DO NOT MISS GENTLEMEN. He will be one of the highlights of the entire festival. I also hoopoe you get good footage of his show.
July 25, 2014 01:30AM
Gentleman will put on the best show I believe. This will be my 5th or 6th time seeing him, and the last time was pure fire with amazing backing band.

Meta for sure cuz I haven't seen him and this band yet.

Alpha, Jimmy, MR, Bitty should all be well nice.

The ladies will be nice to hear this year, Etana always a blessed show. I'm hopeing Jah9 doesn't put me to sleep like she did a couple years ago with Rory in the dancehall.

REALLY looking forward to Thursday nights events. Jahdan should kill it and have a lot more energy than the 2 (sorry, boring) times I've seen him on the village stage. Iba is one of my favorite new artists so I'm really looking forward to it. Bobby is a friend of mine here in Seattle so it will so nice to see him on the "Big Stage".
July 25, 2014 02:05AM
I have feeling Meta and The Conerstones will steal the show. I have seen amazing Footy.

Looking forward to Gentleman, Iba Mahr (caught him in Nevada City last summer - amazing set), Jahdan Blakkamoore (thought he was one the best at SNWMF), Winstrong (love the new album), Etana, Mutabaruka (big artist for me as a teen), Bitty (since ya'll were drooling at SNWMF, I'll pay more attn this time), Bobby Hustle, Mykal Rose, Sly & Robbie, Gyptian & Marlon Asher.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 25, 2014 02:27AM
Okay Diesel, i'll give it a shot!

Love that reggae!
July 25, 2014 02:49AM
Among many I am stoked to check out the man called See-I. Have been checking out some of his music lately...prime time saturday night 6:15 set time.
July 25, 2014 04:29AM
See I is not one person. It is two guys (both from Thievery Corporation) and they are as good as it gets!!! Don't miss them.
July 25, 2014 03:44PM
Oh damn, I never read their bio....See-I should be great. I also forgot about the Courtney John project, this should be nice too.
July 25, 2014 04:53PM
Alpha Blondy and Mutaburuka are rare opportunities to see live, and Jimmy Cliff is always great. His newest album "Rebirth" is his best album since "If I Follow My Mind", and looking forward to seeing him perform songs off of it.

You nailed it YYFAN! ....the odd thing about seeing Mutabaruka is that I've seen him 'MC' a handful of times as well as perform -sing and chant doing his dub poetry thing. Although he is entertaining as a stream of con sciousness MC'er, he has always killed it more doing his material with a band...hard stuff!

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
July 25, 2014 09:05PM
nomo-

Gentleman and Gyptian are like apples & oranges.

DO see (and film) Gentleman!!!
DON'T see Gyptian! (unless sappy lovers rock is your thang)
July 25, 2014 11:00PM
Last year I skipped the Thursday night show and was thinking about doing the same this year...was thinking about the extra $120 for wifey and I plus wear and tear of 4 nights partying instead of three. Then I got to checking the Thursday night lineup and wow, thats gonna be some great acts, I like the electronica stuff plus my wife says "get with the program, you only go around once"...Ha Ha...So, we will be there!

Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing Mega Banton, I very much like that classic singjay dancehall style from the early 90's, you don't get a chance to see that stuff live anymore.
July 26, 2014 10:12AM
Bless!! Jah 9 seems to be IMMENSELY underrated by many on this great thread; she has some of the most powerful, deeply insightful and spiritually uplifting lyrical content and energy I've been Blessed to witness in quite some time. Easily one of I & I favorite female artistes along with Dezarie and Queen Ifrica. Seen/felt her live and direct once down at the World Beat Center in SD along with Protoje and both were super tremendous. Please take a nap but don't sleep on this Jahmazing and incendiary young lioness on the prowl inna wicked Babylon....Songs highly recommended: "Preacher Man", "Reverence", "Taken", "Legitimate w/Protoje", "Steamers a Bubble", "Warning" and "Gratitude". Listen carefully, tune into her wavelength and gain strength. "Your only limitation is your imagination......"

Iba Mahr, Gentleman, Marlon Asher, I-Vibes, Third World, Michael Rose w/Sly & Robbie (again smiling smiley, and Meta tambien....looking ever FORWARD stars!!!! One Love smoking smiley
July 26, 2014 04:31PM
Probably cuz she sux.....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 26, 2014 04:52PM
While Jah 9 was underwhelming in her appearance in the dance at SN I am looking forward to seeing her with a live band and a few more years experience. There's a lot of female artists going good right now and I would like to see more of them in CA.
Also looking forward to Iba Mahr, Mega and Jimmy Cliff.
July 26, 2014 07:38PM
Low grade ("Hi grade"winking smiley please keep the hate to yourself, no place for it in Jah Blessed Love. You are clearly disconnected from this beautiful spirit; stay clear with your fear.
July 26, 2014 09:37PM
Anyone know what time artists start on Thursday ROTR, approximate set times? Give Thanks.
July 26, 2014 10:23PM
July 27, 2014 12:49AM
Thanks
July 27, 2014 05:19AM
98 deg in garberville today...not sure if anyone is looking forward to seeing that.

...but it's not Reggae if the suns not blazyin red hot!
July 27, 2014 05:53AM
....real hot....in the shade. Can't wait to swim and float!!!

-Westafari
July 27, 2014 04:45PM
cb_liveup
98 deg in garberville today...not sure if anyone is looking forward to seeing that.

...but it's not Reggae if the suns not blazyin red hot!

I like it hot, but not quite that hot.

National Weather Service is showing it cooling a little from that during the week, looks like low 90's to upper 80's which is pretty much perfect for my preferences. Hot days means lows for the night at 57F to 60F. .
July 27, 2014 08:01PM
Interesting thread. I will have to check out these artists u mentioned i have never heard of. Mega banton in a mega way. Gentleman is a favorite live now. Michael rose with gaudi / jahdan
July 27, 2014 08:18PM
Saw Bitty McLean again last night and he absolutely killed it. Hands down, the best rock steady/reggae singer I've seen in years. Almost makes me want to hop in the truck and start driving north to get baked on the rocks at ROTR one more time.
July 28, 2014 12:26AM
The line-up is pure niceness. Friday is looking epic!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login